Why is Portugal not a part of Spain?

Spain was a world power. Why didn't they conquer Portugal and hold it?
I know there were personal unions of the crown, but why wasn't a more permanent "solution" reached.

I ask because I fucking hate the way the border looks.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Revolt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_common_surnames_in_Europe#Portugal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paços_de_Ferreira)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pereira_(Barcelos)
pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paço_de_Sousa)
youtube.com/watch?v=WInU8lb1zao
youtube.com/watch?v=k7mLf87Asgs
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vkFJdzUEI
youtube.com/watch?v=r36eHW03l1s
youtube.com/watch?v=Rr4FwNAotaI
youtube.com/watch?v=PFZN5CIA9ow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>>/google/

What? I googled it and the only answer I got was "it was too hard"

Why is new Zealand not a part of Australia?

Because they pussied out
And we are both islands, so our borders don't look fucking terrible.

Why is Australia not a part of New Zealand?

Ah,the weekly ''Why is Portugal not part of Spain?'' thread

then you already got your answer, they pussie out, wanted and won their independence the hard way and now they look like europe's door.

Because they pussied out of the federation.
And we are both islands, so at least our borders don't look terrible.

Fucking connection issues, stupid aussie internet.

I never understood this reasoning, this could be applied to almost every country in the world. "Why is x not part of y?"
Portugal has always been it's own thing

LOL

Maybe someday.

Can't wait for tomorrow's thread.

I never knew portugal was like that

>I ask because I fucking hate the way the border looks.

i like the way it looks

Because a powerful Spain would be quite a pain for the island of fame this it helped the bane to its pain and Portugal was its name

>iberian union
I don't think that someone wants it honestly

Never. We dont want to join with traitors.

They are racist to us, They never wanted anything to do with US
They think we're smelly and peasants and hairy :(

england

>catalans
>not traitors

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Revolt

As Peces Barbas said, we should have tried to keep Portugal instead of Catalonia.

>there are many Japanese words originated from Portugese
because they are face

please be annexed, Spain shouldn't get shoahed like germany is the 40s to get its rightful clay.

No, it is because you selfishly separated from us in the best moment of our history, because of that we were fighting for our colonies and dividing the effort when together we were the first world power.

You have been the slut of the UK, they manipulated you as they wanted and here are the consequences.

Of course you have an excuse for our independence...

We have enough with one Andalusia, why would we want a second one? Would you annex Papua new guinea if you could?

EVERY DAY
EVERY FUCKING DAY, OP

why is australia not part of the Netherlands?

Why is Papua New Guinea not a part of Australia?

Why isn't Australia part of Canada?

we didn't mean it

portugal is the superior country
the question should be
"Why is Spain not a part of Portugal ?"

Proof that the average Anglo or Portuguese is worth three times a Spaniard

Yeah, but why

we are different peoples, that's all

here

Asturias didn't have suebis and galicia has been castilinized

Aren't Castillians the Kangs of Iberia?

everything is napoleon's fault

Castilian is an invention of butt hurt separatist provinces, Castille should just be renamed Asturias so all these faggot tribes don't forget what we want.

No castilleans are like imperials in elder scrolls mang. Catalonians are thalmor. Andalusians are khajit and argonian.

At first they tried,but then they gave up

Let me tell you a secret.Most of that spanish armada was portuguese aswell for the invincible armada...

and the borders look like shit because Galicians are just Portuguese that wanted to remain part o Léon and Portugal never conquered them because Iberians were simply more keen to warring moors instead of each other.

The only thing portuguese attacked in this war were supply lines

The real question is,

Why is Spain not a part of Portugal?

Rude

because aragon stoped us from getting the crown (and got themselves absorved for some reason)

The same reason Canada isn't part of the USA

>always
hmmmm

Spain needs a retarded little brother to laugh at when it's feeling down?

It all makes sense now.

Because you were part of a common destiny and you left in the process

Galicians are our brothers, my surname is Andrade.

Because the Portuguese people have been merciful. If Spain ever tries again, they will soon find themselves speaking in the tongue of Camões.

PORTUGAL CARALHO

there wasn't a portugal in there, so portugal was not part of Leon, besides our coat of arms has the yellow castles on red background for a reason.
Leon was a mistake, nobody really believed in it and it failed to serve it's purpose. Germanic inheritance laws certainly didn't help it.

Correct. I know it hurts your autistic nationalism but Castile could have been united with Portugal and called that union Spain

Andrade is relatively rare here, only knew 1 girl that had that
The most common ones are stuff you would find anywhere else in spain like González, García, López...

maybe if Isabel of Spain didn't stand in there and had made the right thing, you'd have the good ending.
Since the austrians took the crown, the union dream was tainted (literaly)

I don't mind truth
we would be spain, no doubt, better spain too mind you

that's the problem with patronimic names

patrowhat?
eu entendo casi todo o vocabulario portughés, podes falarme na tua lingua

nomes como andrade, peres, paes, lopez foram herdados do próprio pai: Andre, Pero, Paio/Pelayo, Lope respectivamente
por exemplo, João filho de Pero -> João Peres

Como os registos do povo so começaram no sec XVIII, os nomes vulgares dessa altura ficaram como nomes de familia, mas os anteriores não.

Fernades/Fernández,Rodrigues/Rodriguéz means Son of Fernando/Rodrigo which both are germanic names.López/Lopes means son of lopo/lobo.
Portuguese surnames are more about where you come from:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_common_surnames_in_Europe#Portugal
For example:
Silva is the most popular portuguese surname,it comes from ''Torre de Silva'' which is a region in the city/village of Silva in Valença.
The Ferreira people come from Paços de Ferreira(which means,''steps of the ferreira''en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paços_de_Ferreira)
The Pereiras come from Pereira in Barçelos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pereira_(Barcelos)
The Sousas com from Vale do sousa region or Paços de Sousa,pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paço_de_Sousa)

And so on.
So the most popular surnames come from the north and they were originally noble names that the common people that came from those regions just took for them.
For example,João of the Sousa became João Sousa and so on.

Most of this surnames are also popular in galicia funny enough

Andrade was the name of a powerful galician house during the middle ages and part of the modern era.

falta adicionar:
Alguns nomes ficaram nas duas linguas e portanto geraram dois nomes diferentes

Lope -> lopez; Lopes
Pero -> Pérez; Peres

I thought Andrade came from Hardrada so much for a possible Danish superior race link, snif sniff.

>plus ultra

Are you autistic?Sure,Charles of the Holy Roman empire chose that motto because he liked my hero academia...
Fucking americans...
Don't post that flag again if you don't want me to cut your balls off

Spain can't into original thought, and thus has copied Portugal over the centuries. Since they are bigger and have more resources, they have had more success in most of their ventures, but rarely the initiative.

Which is why their (unnoficial but usual) anthem lyrics go "Glory to the Fatherland that know how to follow".

>the portufag is getting butthurt over being second fiddle
It's true pottery

nice try, but everyone knows our anthems are in Spanish, not English.

you messed up a bit but the general idea is there. Names tend to have multiple origins, I caught both ferreira and sousa because I'm from betwen both places (yet half my name points to the frontier up north)

Ferreira has at least 2 origins:
1st - (iron)smith or a place where there is iron discharge

2nd - Ferreira river, which goes into Douro
Paço as in Paços de ferreira is a kind of residence - for an important noble

So you can have João the ironsmith (or son of), João from [town across ferreira river] or João found near a iron discharge or just some iron-rich land (noticeable for the red -ish colour)

god knows where the first ones came... some traditional names come all the way from the suebi (Rui for example)

ah xa entendo
logo Andrade = Fillo de Andrés ?
en español, Paio = Pelayo, mais as festas do meu pobo seguen chamándose "festas de san Paio"

Your anthem is in Mumbling and whistles

youtube.com/watch?v=WInU8lb1zao

youtube.com/watch?v=k7mLf87Asgs

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vkFJdzUEI

youtube.com/watch?v=r36eHW03l1s

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr4FwNAotaI

sim
ja agora
san paio -> sampaio
santo iago -> santiago (e também tiago)
ambos existem em portugal, mas são raros

And the Spaniards with Silva and Pereira surnames? I know several people with those surnames

That's true,I'm from that region aswell(Vale do Sousa) which is called Tâmega e Sousa nowadays

Are they galician?

I know Silva's and Pereira's too and no, they are not Galician.

not that strange, people move around
we have a few garcias as well, and they are born and raised here (and likely so did their parents)

but the most iconic in that regard is Lencastre family - they are former lancasters (from england)

>tfw your surname is so rare you could get doxxed from posting it

los dos procedentes de galicia/portugal
Pereira = Peral en gallego.

My second one is also very rare, like 100 people in Spain and 80% of those live in the same region.

why didn't britain colonize and develop shitugal with their superior germanic values?

Yeah,my first surname is so rare that only exists in my region.When I say my name to an old lady they always ask:''Are you from *****?'' And I say yes

that's pretty cool. Mine are not rare per se (not common either), but the 'e' on it makes it exotic

Eiró?

En la pagina web del INE puedes ver la frecuencia de los apellidos en España. Los míos son rarísmos. 47 personas el primer apellido y 18 el segundo

The portuguese anthem is so betiful
youtube.com/watch?v=PFZN5CIA9ow

nah, I meant my names are separated by an 'E', as result of a person of a higher family marrying into a lower. Ironically my parents would re-create the name if we were in other times

we are too few with this combination, precisely 9 alive and another 2 possibly dead.

why isn't Falklands a part of Argentina

>UK was a world power. Why didn't they conquer Ireland and hold it?
>I know there were personal unions of the crown, but why wasn't a more permanent "solution" reached.
also this

lol spaniards

le eternal anglo

>I fucking hate the way the border looks
meddling runs in your blood doesnt it you bong cunt