/classical/

Post your favorite piece for a solo instrument.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youdubber.com/index.php?video=_Ka289l3W0Q&video_start=0&audio=k-Tw1sqzkfk&audio_start=6
youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0
youtube.com/watch?v=4MEUIGjfHNw
youtube.com/watch?v=YKlLPe86Flk
youtube.com/watch?v=3gi0r1lLM9E
goodreads.com/book/show/2565440-french-baroque-music
youtube.com/watch?v=GK6rSxVk05o&list=PLanoolzETJ64qCOi1l8LUYR3c3rVEiYNr&index=22
youtube.com/watch?v=l539qHREjgE
youtube.com/watch?v=_cQgx-g67lQ&list=PLanoolzETJ64qCOi1l8LUYR3c3rVEiYNr&index=23
youtube.com/watch?v=34iZsGgufmg
youtube.com/watch?v=TJnHICMWYdI
youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=zaAorqR0ICk
youtube.com/watch?v=yzB3nPhu2Z0
youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj1UPzlrTc
youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UCgQMBNe1XI
youtube.com/watch?v=85tCzdRt6UE
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
youtube.com/watch?v=aDBPfhG-gVk
youtube.com/watch?v=YjzAi9f9PM0
youtube.com/watch?v=eydDniKVL_k
google.com/doodles/celebrating-ludwig-van-beethovens-245th-year
youtube.com/watch?v=cRovKhUFeh8
youtube.com/watch?v=IofRyMG-EGA
youtube.com/watch?v=A6DJUzB7DBE
youtube.com/watch?v=JYpqi5QP9ng
youtube.com/watch?v=_hUJKqHTOEI
youtube.com/watch?v=J84457WL_dQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9tfJNOvY
youtube.com/watch?v=XDqtk0eHAM4
vocaroo.com/i/s174nspibbsM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A reminder that Bach's music is nothing but jigging:

youdubber.com/index.php?video=_Ka289l3W0Q&video_start=0&audio=k-Tw1sqzkfk&audio_start=6

Bach obviously
youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0

But also Kodály
youtube.com/watch?v=4MEUIGjfHNw

youtube.com/watch?v=YKlLPe86Flk
As good as it gets.

among internet communities he's overrated I think. on Sup Forums, classical forums, classical record review sights he's treated as more of a "must-hear representative of french opera" rather than the "french musical dark ages" that he is.

I've never heard him performed live by anyone in my area. then again I've never heard Rameau performed either.

Rameau in France is performed often, Lully almost never.
>he's treated as more of a "must-hear representative of french opera"
Well, to be fair he was the magnification of the French aristocratic music for a while. I think that the faults you're finding in his music are, instead, inherent to the form he was adopting in order to earn money.
His music should be considered as ''dark age music'', but it should be also remembered that in that dark age music scene Lully was the best composer.

One of my favs.
youtube.com/watch?v=3gi0r1lLM9E

>but it should be also remembered that in that dark age music scene Lully was the best composer.
that's like saying 1920-1940 was the worst age for soviet russia, but stalin was still their best leader.
if Lully and the king hadn't actively suppressed any competition and monopolized publishing for almost 50 years perhaps it wouldn't have been so dark an age...

>if Lully and the king hadn't actively suppressed any competition and monopolized publishing for almost 50 years perhaps it wouldn't have been so dark an age...

What are you basing those accusations on? On his fame alone, or are you referring to specific facts?

biographies, books of french baroque I've read. I've never seen it disputed, but tl;dr he sucked the kings dick to give him royal privilege over printing music in paris, convinced him to place laws restricting non-lullian music from french theatres and then total control of the french academy of music. if you were another composer trying to get your music heard or popularized, you're basically screwed. anything worth a damn had to be heard at paris or versailles and lully made sure he was the only one getting performed

here, is an interesting read if you want to know more:

goodreads.com/book/show/2565440-french-baroque-music

I didn't know that. I've analyzed his music but I've never read comprehensive biographies on him. My bad.

>there's no subtly or deeper emotion being expressed
Another baseless accusation, how can you say that?

Listen to these pieces and tell me they are devoid of emotion. What you call showy and flashy I call energetic and lively, passionate. And these are just some of his softer pieces, I quite enjoy some of his works.

youtube.com/watch?v=GK6rSxVk05o&list=PLanoolzETJ64qCOi1l8LUYR3c3rVEiYNr&index=22

youtube.com/watch?v=l539qHREjgE

youtube.com/watch?v=_cQgx-g67lQ&list=PLanoolzETJ64qCOi1l8LUYR3c3rVEiYNr&index=23

>And it pales in comparison to italian opera because its all about dancing and amusement than expressivity
While I can't speak for Italian opera I respectfully disagree. Sure a lot of it was about entertainment and a spectacle to impress, but there are parts in these works that are quite expressive.

>Never performed live.
Again how can you say that? There are countless recordings on Youtube of people performing Lully live in front of an audience.

>Again how can you say that? There are countless recordings on Youtube of people performing Lully live in front of an audience.
I'm saying that it isn't in the general repertoire. Listening to Lully is a rarity, but in every big French city you can be sure that there will be at least 1 Rameau concert per year.
It's like saying that Buxtehude is neverperformed. Of course across the US and Europe every once in a while a concert will pop up, but that's it.

>Buxtehude and Lully a rarity
Truly a tragedy of our times.

That's what you get when you apply free market to the high arts.

>Another baseless accusation, how can you say that?
eh, its more of an opinion. I just feel as though Lully is not the best musician when it comes to expressing subtle emotions elegantly in his music. it's all very heavy-handed and grandiose, and his harmonies aren't particularly expressive even if they are exciting and catchy... I'm not saying his works are completely devoid of expression, but they approach it in a much cruder and "primitive" (?) way when compared to his italian contemporaries. he doesn't really venture outside of established musical idioms for the french court, which makes sense since they're generally more catered to impressing a king and nobility than
creating a timeless masterpiece of personal emotion or being particularly innovative.

to each his own, though. He's not a HORRIBLE composers; I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with Lully if it weren't for the way he's celebrated among classical communities, see we'll just have to agree to disagree.

>I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with Lully if it weren't for the way he's celebrated among classical communities
Get a life.

this whole arguement was about Lully being overrated, tu enfant

Fair enough, at least you have an argument. Many people dismiss him and his work over trivial reasons.

m

>m
What did he mean by this?

Probably just bumping the thread.

Which Bach piece has the BEST counterpoint?

Brandenburg Concertos

Crandenburg Boncertos

This is not how you bump a thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=34iZsGgufmg
Underrated af tbqhwyfam

Very good, very good indeed

What are your music-related goals, /classical/?

>What are your music-related goals, /classical/?
To re-establish tonality as the main path in academia, through brilliant, soul-crashing, magnificent compositions.
That, and teaching to boring children piano in order to pay for rent and food.

Feeling at least a bit satisfied with my interpretations.

What do your pupils want to play ?

Finish Vivaldi's Op. 6

>What do your pupils want to play ?
Most of them comes from musically-savvy families. They come when they're 4 or 5 while already knowing lots of Mozart and Schubert tunes, they usually play that and generally didactic pieces for a few years.
I'm also teaching to 2 kids whose parents want them to play pop music, and 1 8years old kid who wants to become a jazz virtuoso.

I may be harsh when I say that they're boring, but that's just me. I hate teaching kids.

Kunst der Fuge or some of his cantatas.

tonality is already being re-established, you're 30 years too late

unless you're implying you want to abolish atonal music from academia, in which case you're wasting your time

>unless you're implying you want to abolish atonal music from academia, in which case you're wasting your time
I don't want to abolish it, I just want to device a piece of music so magnificent that will draw the attention of the entire academia, channelling all of our artistic output in that direction.
I plan to do it by being an excellent composer and a cutthroat businessman.

You make it sound worse than it actually is.
Ever had the chance to give lessons to baptist children ?

youtube.com/watch?v=TJnHICMWYdI

faggot

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg

hi

Wtf user I didn't even say anything to you

post your favorite songs

no schubert allowed

Good.. I wouldn't have picked him anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=zaAorqR0ICk

Schuberts late string quartets are the greatest string quartets of all time

Interesting

youtube.com/watch?v=yzB3nPhu2Z0

youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj1UPzlrTc

>muh beethoven
>muh bartok

youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ

youtube.com/watch?v=UCgQMBNe1XI

youtube.com/watch?v=85tCzdRt6UE

Hi

youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

>Hallelujah
Was expecting Handel.

Top notch

youtube.com/watch?v=aDBPfhG-gVk
youtube.com/watch?v=YjzAi9f9PM0
youtube.com/watch?v=eydDniKVL_k
>zefiro torna
Patrician af

Fuck off Cuckbert

>Mozart
>underrated

What caused the spike?

What happened to Beethoven between the 13th and the 19th of December 2015?

Probably the doodle they did

google.com/doodles/celebrating-ludwig-van-beethovens-245th-year

>~25-30 searches per day
Lmao look at these sheeps listening to pop music

>245
You'd think they could've waited a few years...

What're you listening now that Trump is president?

Requiems

American symphony orchestras nosediving.

Wagner.

What are the best recordings of his symphonies? Specifically the 8th.

youtube.com/watch?v=cRovKhUFeh8

He likes Reich, so...

youtube.com/watch?v=IofRyMG-EGA

pondering about how much worse the world will get

Kondrashin or Mravinsky

He or his ghostwriter.

>

I remember reading about a composer named Steve Reich who came up with a new idea called phasing, which is like windshield wipers going in and out of synch. Apparently he was caught in a traffic jam one rainy day and the rhythm of the windshield wipers caught his attention and he applied what he heard to his musical compositions. He has had a significant influence on contemporary music, and I think he’s a great example of an innovator. Sometimes new ideas can come from something as mundane and functional as your windshield wipers. The key is to pay attention and keep your brain and senses open to new stimuli.

He doesn't, he's just praising him as a businessman.
Damn, Trump is disgusting. Truly a dead soul.

Not much. Maybe slightly worse for white people.

Reich's 3rd?

He's a Sup Forumsfag so it isn't a surprise

youtube.com/watch?v=JYpqi5QP9ng

He's not praising Reich as a businessman. He's making an analogy between artistic germination (see Henry James for more details) and innovation in business. I think you're just reading into it something negative because you dislike Trump.

youtube.com/watch?v=_hUJKqHTOEI

post your favourite reich piece

youtube.com/watch?v=J84457WL_dQ

I think its because you posted worstfu

youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9tfJNOvY

That's a hell of a meme

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=XDqtk0eHAM4

Good job not checking the replies and reposting this.

Can someone recommend me some obscure but still good requiems?

>"Know What Is Above You" for four women’s voices and 2 tamborims (1999)
What did Reich mean by this?

How many hours a day should I practice?

That man is no longer the President of the United States LOL

>be me
>occasionally shitpost about Reich on the rare thread
>actually get to meet him and play his music in front of him a couple months ago
There is no greater pressure in the world

As many as you can without developing injuries.

all classical music is literally awful

except grimes

>tfw Nixon is in china

vocaroo.com/i/s174nspibbsM
Can you guys listen to this and tell me your opinion about it? I have to send this to my composition teacher and I'm anxious as fuck.