As part of a scathing takedown of the debt-purchasing industry...

>As part of a scathing takedown of the debt-purchasing industry, late night comedian John Oliver forgave nearly $15 million of medical debt with a tap of a giant red button on Sunday night.

I guess he's not such a bad guy after all

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qHRMW7284
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How exactly did he do this?

he bought 15 millions worth of debt for 60,000 with a company they created for the sole purpose of doing just that.

The entire segment was on how easy it is to buy and sell debt and to what lengths debt buyers will go to to make a profit (stuff like calling their bosses at home and so on). It's also non astute debt meaning that you can't force a person to go to court over it but you sure as hell can harass them and their families until it's paid.

The debt itself was worth $60,000. It's actually not the "debt" itself, but the information of those who are responsible for the debt. The piece was about debt collectors who do this for profit.

The "debt" he bought was past the statue of limitations for collection anyways. The idea is that the collectors bully and push the debtors into paying it up, even though they don't legally have to anymore. All he really did was remove a few thousand people from a pool of possible targets for those professional collectors. Kind of a cool thing that proves a point, but nowhere near the kind of amazing thing reddit is making it out to be.

from my understanding, the people didn't have to pay the debt anyway.

they don't, but they can be harassed for it which is what these companies do. plus it still really hurts their credit and borrowing abilities.There is still some incentive to pay it back even though for most people it would be better to just live with it.

Which is why it was being sold for so little. Most people won't pay it back, a few will, and from those few they will make a huge profit.

based

not all of them, but the majority were lawfully collectable. Only a small percentage were past the statute of limitations. they're just all bundled together so the people buying don't know what is legitimate and what isn't

>you will never be rich enough to remove other people debt just for the fuck of it

/biz/ told me i would be rich if i bought ETH REEEEE

He used HBO money, not his own money.

He's a faggot and deserve to be called out.

>Still being this mad about the Trump and border wall episodes
Kill yourself Sup Forums

>Literally says WE not him

>you are now aware that there is a huge segment of the population that gets its political views from this 60 Minutes Lite with C- jokes mixed in show
>and is proud of it

People enjoy watching people that agree with them or that they can relate to on the media
Is why decent human beings enjoy his show and also why you watched garbage like Jackass

Democrats can absolve $15M in debt for only $60K.

Republicans want to build a $500B wall.

It's 2016 folks. Make the right choice this November.

I got my political views from Penn & Teller: Bullshit. So I am a huge autist.

That's no reason to be ass blasted about it.

If nothing else it was a very nice gesture since, speaking as someone who's worked with them, debt collectors are basically the scum of the earth, and anything that undermines them is a good thing.

>h-he made fun of Donny!

fuck this globalist cuck, I can't stand his smug idiot face.

His "jokes" are all awful though. Even the audience has to awkwardly force a chuckle most of the time.

>you have never been self-aware to understand you're getting political standpoints from fat neckbeards from Sup Forums and act proud of it

I could understand if you were talking about maybe literally anything else. LITERALLY anything else but I've never understood the Sup Forums holier-than-thou attitude.

>delete the other thread
>leave this one up
>leave e-celeb shit up all day
BRAVO JANI YOU FAT FUCKING RETARD

JOHN OLIVER DOES IT AGAIN

HOW IS HE SO BASED

15 millions is nothing, this is pure PR, HBO has already made more than 15 mills with that shit

those who donate on good intentions don't say shit

The first half of his show was unwatchable last night, just Trump attack after Trump attack for 15 minutes. The audience, who I am sure also hate Trump, even seemed to get sick of it, they just stopped laughing. It was honestly pathetic.

>All he really did was remove a few thousand people from a pool of possible targets for those professional collectors. Kind of a cool thing that proves a point, but nowhere near the kind of amazing thing reddit is making it out to be.

Yep. The $15 million figure is only the theoretical limit of how much money would've been earned IF they could've convinced all the people they bought information on to pay.

Either way, still a nice act to remove them from government-sanctioned harassment lists.

It's not like we used to love current year man and THAT was when we decided to hate him.

What if people just didn't take out loans they couldn't pay back?

>you are now aware there is a segment of the population that gets its political views from Sup Forums

The wall will be profitable.

>Medical debt
Learn to read you mong

That's racist

I'l give you four guesses who's paying for that wall.

And?
It's thier own fault for stuffing thier faces with garbage every day.

Sup Forumstards will attack him for it too

what if lenders weren't predatory?

>Predatory

What does this even mean?

There are laws against harassment.

>it still really hurts their credit and borrowing abilities.

As not paying money you owe should.

>Democrats can absolve $15M in debt for only $60K.

So why haven't they already absolved everyone of their debts then? Democrats are some of the richest people in the world.

>John Oliver forgave nearly $15 million of medical debt

And it's still not even a fraction of the amount that people like Warren Buffet and Donald Trump give to charity.

>Republicans want to build a $500B wall.

Not even close to that much.

And even if it WAS 500 billion dollars, it would STILL pay for itself in 5 years, considering than illegal immigration and the ills it brings costs our nation more than 100 billion dollars every year.

Pay your debts Jamal.

actually, I hate him because he implied that the displacement of native Europeans for people from africa and the middle east was not only a good thing, but absolutely necessary

Can you imagine if Trump had pulled a stunt like this?

>"Yeah, nice media stunt Trump, you're still a racist though."
>"We want to see a list, Donald! Show us the names of the people that got their med bills absolved!"
>"Here's how Donald Trump is lying when he says he took care of 15 million of debt"

>debt he bought for 60 grand
he really broke the bank there

Democrats declared that "racist" in the mid-90's.

Now look at the mess we're in.

Then debt collecting companies wouldn't get to do business. It would also show people that they can just do whatever the hell they want with regards to borrowing money or spending too much and not have to worry since someone else would make it disappear. Some people, at least, already fear the debt they would get into and try to do anything else before going for the debt option. But that would change if their debts would get bought up all the time and ignored.

better than people who get their political views from Sup Forums

>the wall will end all illegal immigration
I find that a bit hard to believe, it'll make it harder it wont end it.

So what the fuck was your point about voting democrats because they absolved 15 million in depts when you yourself admit that it's just a dumb little media stunt without any real merit to it?

>people ITT actually defending Jon "you're a racist if you don't think Europeans should have their taxes used to built mosques in their home countries" Oliver

When did Sup Forums get filled with kool-aid drinking cucks?

pol is less retarded than current year man.

So long as it comes close. It worked fine in Hungary and Israel.

Did he actually paid for mosque?

Nobody expects Sup Forums to be taken seriously at any place, ever.

a mosque is just another piece of infrastructure that can facilitate the local economy.

Depends. If you get your political views from mspaint "jews did it!" infographs, then yes, that's slightly worse. But most of Sup Forums just links to legitimate news articles from various sources that you can always check yourself for legitimacy. It's just a hub of worldwide news stories basically.

Meanwhile John Oliver's audience believes his every word without doing any research themselves and they tend to forget that he's just a liberal talking head comedian.

>Be me
>Cat accident where someone else was at fault
>trip to emergency room with arm in a sling, no lasting physical damage
>hospital charges my insurance 30,000 for basically sitting in a chair to have a doctor see me for two minutes
>insurance only covers 15k
>>>hospital bills for shit I didn't do

(Dude was uninsured, he's in jail, but that doesn't help me any)

"Cat accident"

I hope your cat is okay

Damn, where can I buy this debt? I have no soul and it sounds like easy money if you sell it to people as you'll settle their debt for less than it is

the wall will need to be manned and maintained, it literally pays for itself and generates jobs

>loans
More ways to get in debt without taking out loans senpai.

mosques don't generate any income for the state you moron.

Yep that is the cause of every single hospital visit

My cat was totaled :(

donation was a secondary concern, his primary goal was to point out how fucking retarded the debt system in America is, that literally anyone can buy up debt and do with it what they will

>muh opposing political opinions which prevent me from enjoying him

T. Underage

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

You're telling me I can just sue hundreds of people and win each case by default and garnish ALL their wages? That sounds like the sweetest passive income ever.

But consider this, by building the wall and holding back illegal immigration, it will actually Benefit black communities.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qHRMW7284

but but free Health care???

Sup Forums in the grand scheme of things are a pack of fanatics like SJWs.

Pay them no mind.

Even though I hate him and his show I can respect him for touching on this subject. The massive debt most Americans hold never gets addressed on the media. I respect him a little more I guess.

>be American
>get fat

>walls work
The fact that Americans believe this bullshit is the most mind-boggling thing to me. Mexican drug cartels literally hire professional engineers to construct tunnels across the border, which have a secondary use by human smugglers to get illegal immigrants across. Drug cartels also regularly smuggle literal tons of drugs into America AND smuggle thousands of American guns back into Mexico, what makes you think illegals don't just fucking drive in and stay here?

A wall is a waste of money that does nothing but create a few temporary jobs with no real infrastructure value, create just a minor dent in the immigration problem, and further create problems with the stagnating service industry America is facing.

BUT DATS RACITST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like an episode of It's Always Sunny.

People criticize and make fun of current year man and you immediately assume they are from /po/.

>stagnating service industry America is facing.
robots fagot.

Not everyone has the choice of going into crippling debt for healthcare reasons.

you're the kind of nigga who walks into a prison shower with his anus pre-lubed and then slams the soap on the floor.

bankruptcy

How does he keep doing it?
Absolutely based.

Drumpfcucks on suicide watch

Mosques generate no income and pay no taxes, retard.

They work pretty well as Sharia promotion-centers, though.

The MSM and John Fagot Oliver needs to be ignored.

It seems to work well enough for Mexico. Why is Mexico allowed to have a southern wall to prevent illegal immigrants from central america to enter their country illegally, but America isn't?

He's dishonest and insufferable no matter your political stance, though. He bends the truth to appeal to liberals and appear greater and more virtuous than he really is.

>People are aware of overpopulation and are trying to slow it down
>Supporting the poor population who cannot even support their large families, which is an outdated model of thinking from rural farming

>stein

That sounds so appealing.

>The fact that Americans believe this bullshit is the most mind-boggling thing to me.

Why are you angry at facts?

lol you Dumb Nigger there are white people having babies and no the answer is not more shitskins.

BECAUSE MEXICANS ARE POC'S, SHITLORD. THEY CAN'T BE RACIST.

Or you could, you know, put that money into actual programs for communities.

Hungary is small as shit senpai

>inb4 that's a fence ;^))))))))

Mo money fo dem programs: the post

MO MONEY FER DEM PROGRAMS

Because that has worked so well so far, right?

>angry britain harrassing ireland
my sides