Directors you liked at one point but now realize to be pleb

>directors you liked at one point but now realize to be pleb.

Tarantino

The Master and Inherent Vice were pure kino that most people didn't get

Never liked him

Is there anybody here who didn't go through a Tarantino phase?

Jewbrick

John Carpenter. He didn't make a good movie past the 70s.

>pure kino

So you're saying they were pure shit? Gotcha.

>The Master
yes
>Inherent Vice
lol, no

>the thing
>they live
>escape from new york(debatable though tbqh)
Seriously user?

Wes Andersen

Awful taste

how is PTA pleb? that just doesn't make sense. Have you seen TWBB?

I didn't. I like his films but I don't obsess over the man or his work.

His work with Kurt Russell is awful. They Live is fun, but it's really just a neat b movie.

Malick
Tsukamoto
Fassbinder (still like him for the cinematograhy)
Ceylan
gone full circle on Kubrick, now I love him again

The Master and Inherent Vice are empty "pretend kino".

PTA was less insufferable when he was just pumping out ADHD capeshit schlock like Boogie Nights and Magnolia, he got extra bad when he started to believe his hype and then decided he'd make fake kino epics.

Punch Drunk Love is the only film he has made where I don't want to punch every person who has ever enjoyed it in the jaw.

TWBB is the poster movie for '16 year old video game player who has now decided he is a "cinephile"'

Next step on the pleb ladder after the teenager finally grows out of Finchertino.

quentin tarantino is the ultimate pleb casual filter

Nah TWBB is very good

>not enjoying Veronika Voss despite its flaws

kys

what if you lay the buzzwords aside and actually explain your opinion about the movie?

Uh oh pleb alert. IV is one of the best of the decade

People without in-depth cinematic training can enjoy it and feel like they *get* the power of cinema so it is infantile trash. It is constructed to make plebs feel smart.

If there's a RWF I love unconditionally it's World on a Wire, it's a 4 hour movie I would have no problem rewatching like every month. Also Despair is very underrated.

Yep, you're right. Plebs can't into his last two movies

If you've never seen The Long Goodbye, sure

Me, I always disliked tarantino

Also obviously Kubrick. When you start watching more films, you realize Kubrick isnt that good

Tarkovsky
Kubrick
Bresson
Hitchcock
Ford
Ophüls
Bergman
Antonioni
Brakhage
Lynch
Mekas
Buñuel
Truffaut

also
>>directors you disliked at one point but now realize to be patrician geniuses.
Godard

TWBB is a film that plebeians flock to in awe, because they are nearly completely underexposed to cinema. It is a film which exposes the tasteless, time after time.

Malick is probably the best director alive

says the redditor

I have seen The Long Goodbye and it was incredibly boring. Anderson absorbed whatever skill Altman had and used his style to create an anxious, experimental tone that Altman was either to callow or unintelligent to work in.

When I saw The Master the screen was full of fedora clad teenagers rustling their popcorn bags and whooping at the screen whenever PSH did anything "based" so I think you're wrong.
>hear them whispering about the cinematography and politely clapping throughout the film
Got I wanted to tear our their throats. When this shot happened I distinctly remember one of them muttering "fukken masterpiece" before shoving a fistfull of popcorn into his fat face. Whenever I see this shot while rewatching it I start to get rage shivers just seeing this image.

Who said you could post directly at me, 2014+ poster?

>I have seen The Long Goodbye and it was incredibly boring
This post tells you all you need to know about the PTA championing millennial pleb squad.

You take that back or I'll kiss you!

Agree except for Hitchcock

is your mind actually so warped that you see it as bad, in itself, that people can understand a film? To make plebs feel smart isn't at all the themes of the film. Seriously you are one retarded faggot.

You'll grow out of him eventually. Every director is a brand new stepping stone for you to use up and then throw away. A mountain to be climbed.

Name one exciting or interesting thing about it. Name just one single thing about that movie that Chandler didn't do better in the book. I'll wait.

No matter what the intentions of the director were, the film got released, plebs saw it and felt smart.

That means society is worse for the film existing. Film should blow plebs out of the water, not enabling them. Making a pleb friendly movie is patting the video game playing degenerates on the head. Enabling plebs is disgusting in any instance.

Film isn't there to excite or interest. It is not your video game. It is not there to serve you.

>T-the book is better
Alright, well at least we know this poster is 15 at most

What directors do you like now? Honest question, I'm assuming your post is legitamate

That sounds fucking awful, but fanbase does not define the movie. That's a retarded thing to say
That was someone else btw. I like both IV and The Long Goodbye

You forgot about Fassbinder.

Cameron
Mendeluck
Rohmer
Anderson
Bay
Vardes
Tarr
Sokurov

>fanbase does not define the movie
X's fanbase always defines X.

If X was good in the first place it wouldn't be allowing bad people to engage with it.

>Film isn't there to excite or interest. It is not your video game. It is not there to serve you.
Spoken like a true pseud. Denying emotional involvement in films reveals you as a superficial child who is more concerned with how others perceive him than understanding and enjoying art. Now begone, pseud; I'm finished with you.

Please stop trying to comment on a film with a limited knowledge of the context is was produced within. You're embarrassing yourself but you don't realize it.

>Denying emotional involvement in films reveals you as a superficial child who is more concerned with how others perceive him than understanding and enjoying art. Now begone, pseud; I'm finished with you.

Art is not there to be enjoyed. If you "enjoyed" a work of "art" then it wasn't fucking art in the first place. It was a hot pocket. A capeshit. A pandering video game slice of masturbation. Art should be hurting your mind and soul every second you are looking in its direction.

ok, now i know your baiting. But just in case; go get treatment.

I have only ever been serious. Irony and fraud is the meme domain.

This post is an imposter with abhorrent taste.

My actual favorite filmmakers:
Abulu
Kasdan
Frampton
Florey
Ruttmann
Warhol
Afolayan
Pasolini
Potter
Cocteau

Since you two illiterates didn't understand my post, here it is again, this time simplified for your mediocre brains:
>Now begone, pseud; I'm finished with you.

That fact that you're both of these posters is awesome.

Malick, Zulawski, Linklater, Altman, Kiarostami, Ceylan, Bergman, Dreyer, etc.

You're the fedora, budeh. Go watch some experimental shorts and impress the lads on Letterboxd.

>When you start watching more films, you realize Kubrick isnt that good
What do you mean by this?

If you've only ever eaten slops from the garbage your entire life then McDonalds might seem like a tasty meal, but once you leave home and gain access to other more sophisticated foods you'll learn that McDonalds was actually pretty bad.

I unironically like most of those films

Desperately needs an update. Any fedoracore chart without stuff like Mad Max, The Hunt and Prisoners is very out of date.

>Malick, Zulawski, Linklater, Altman, Kiarostami, Ceylan, Bergman, Dreyer, etc.
Why are you listing a bunch of mediocre directors to me? Do you...do you think they represent good taste in cinema?

>Now begone, pseud

>Now begone, pseud

Darren Aronofsky. I still love Pi and The Fountain, but Requiem, Black Swan and The Wrestler weren't as good as I remembered when I rewatched them, and then Noah was just an utter failure on every level.

this is bait

I'm sure some people on here didn't. But most of the people that didn't and vehemently argue that they never liked him definitely did. People love to pretend they were always patrician. For some reason they fear admitting they once enjoyed standard fare.

Inherent Vice is awesome you pleb

>liking legitimately great directors because they're too popular
this is actual quantifiable autism. this is like 85 autism.

>Buzzwords: The Post

*disliking

You're a punk bitch and I'd kick your ass if you were in a room with me

I like Tarantino movies, but this is truth. If someone thinks Tarantino is a Top 5 director or they think Django was anything better than a 7/10, you have a pleb on your hands

Two things:
1) I have seen The Long Goodbye, but despite the similarities in the personalities of the main characters, they are very different films,

2) The Long Goodbye came out in the 70s. Even if you view IV as a homage to the old gumshoe detective films, having seen TLG doesn't negate the fact that IV is one of the best of the '10s.

Directors admit he's good, why such a pseudo-cult like you have such a dificulty to admit he's good?

I'm pretty sure you're either the edgelord cinema student or a guy who googled SUPER UNDERRATED DIRECTORS XD

Irony and Fraud were done by the greatest minds in literature/arts. The memers can't even get close to them.

Edgar Mrugalla is an example.

Your definition of art is really poor, the way you refer to it, it seems that the director can only do ambiguous work and can't be approachable at all. Which means you have a pre-conceived opinion about art and you can't comprehend nor experience different points of view. If I'm the artist and want to do a script with a lot of wholes for the spectator not understand, am I being an artist? My vision will never be understood, therefore, I'm a bad artist. Nice b8 tho.

The movie is bad because regular people liked it? You have a lot of culture-jealousy, I've had that before, it'll reach to a certain point that you'll be full bovarysme

It works more like an cycle, when you reached the apex, you'll have to go to the lowest forms of art, because those are not pretentious at all, and that's why they're the best, then you'll start to follow the same road again, until you realize that you can still like the same director forever.

I know you're b8, because someone posted something simmilar to this in some other thread.

So you paid to go see this movie, and got your jimmies rustled when others in the theater liked the movie? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Jesus Christ. You are beyond saving. THESE ARE COMMERCIAL FILMS YOU FAGGOT. They weren't made to be played in a fucking art museum.

the motherfucker made TWBB. He could make shit for the rest of his career (which he hasn't) and it won't matter.

VIDEO GAME PLAYERS liked the movie. How can you defend any work that literal autistic infantilized beta males are able to get good feelings from. If you are white then video game players are your enemy. If PTA is allied with the video game players as evidenced by his cinema sensibilities then PTA is your enemy,

PTA, every 13 year old white boy has a PTA phase.

Me. Thank God. If I had watched his shit a few years earlier I might have.

I'm really thankful for this kino meme because I know to just throw away all posts that use it.

Most of those are good but Tarkovsky, Bresson, and Bergman have a really awful online fanbase that makes me embarrassed that I used to be really into Bergman (I still like him). I'm glad you saw the Godard light though.

PTA is one of reddit's absolute most beloved directors.

>the motherfucker made TWBB
Any hack in the movie industry could have made that hotpocket tier teenage boy flick. It's just that every single director other than PTA had the decency not to.

I'd say that movie alone would have cemented him as one of the worst cinema terrorists of our times, even if everything else he made was a masterpiece, which they weren't.

I am sat here naked and covered in sweat, drumming on my chest in the dark and even right now I know that I am a more positive force in the cinema landscape than this autism enabling baby man, PTA.

If you are really this narcissistic then you probably should be at a University or something talking about art with professors or something. Why you would choose to post on fucking Sup Forums is beyond me. Unless all your posting is bait. Then I guess I get it.

I am not so sure about that, Kubrick might not be avant garde but he is a very high tier director

Fincher duh

I've been thrown out of every school I attended. Sup Forums is free from such censorship.

Tarantino.

I perused this entire thread and came away with the opinion that all the haters in this thread are severely autistic. You don't have to like PTA or Kubrick, but you act like they make schlock. If you're too "smart" and feel like their films are entry level or whatever you choose to call them from your high horse, whatever. Don't watch them. But it's not like they're making capeshit or Transformers. They make movies that have well thought out themes and usually great acting and package it in a form that's fairly easy to digest. To a lot of people, that's a very valuable service. If you're a fucking mensa member and only like films that you deem "high art" then watch your movies and shut the fuck up. If you're so much smarter than everyone then you should feel the need to prove it. But you do because people don't like you, so at the very least you want others to know you're smart. But here's the kicker, nobody gives a flying fuck.

Fincher
Nichols
McQueen
Saulnier
Anderson (Wes, PT)
Post-80s Scorcese
Villeneuve

You do realize you're a super edgelord, right?

>But it's not like they're making capeshit or Transformers.
There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights and Magnolia are exactly like capeshit or Transformers.

*shouldn't feel the need to prove it

user literally everyone plays video games. you might as well rage at people who drink water or breathe air

You really missed the point of the goddamn post

in what way

His post was predicated on falsehoods.

There's no calming his rage. He's mad because he's a social retard, so instead of looking at why he can't make friends, he focuses his hate on things he sees people with friends ("dumb people") doing.

>pro-audience engagement
>pro-audience enjoyment
>spectacle driven pro-aesthetic cinematography

No, I understand the phrasing.

I mean what is it about Kubrick's films that make you realise he's not good, once you've watched more films?

so movies are only worthwhile if the movie is unpleasant and uninteresting?

Stop feeding the troll please. I legitimately believe PTA sucks but this guy who you're responding to is trolling you.