>>70872450

How accurate is this show to the comics? Because they are right, the show is slow and I know there are only like 70 comics so I might just read them instead.

The show only exists to get people to buy the comics anyway. If it's not following the comics at all I'll keep watching it but if it's just doing the comics storyline but very slowly I'd rather just read it.

Also the show reminds me of Fargo a lot more than Lost. At least in tone.

they want to keep the tension and MUH MYSTERIO wich is absent on the comic wich is more straight forward.
Is really different, a lot. I doubt they are doing the show to sell more comics since they dont even scratch the whole story

Or Rogen have too much confidence to tell the whole story on several seasons or he is doing the changes just because he want a Lost kind of show without know how to handle it.

Its not accurate at all other than some names.

That single mom character I don't recall existing, but just exists to fulfill a network quota.

By this point in the comics, the sheriff, who was just a minor antagonist already ripped his dick off and shoved it up his asshole and then killed himself while assface was trying to be the nice guy he is while Jesse, Cass and a much less annoying Tulip were skipping town

i can't imagine being a fan of garth ennis's work and watching this shit

Did he have anything to do with the show besides collecting royalties?

Other than some consulting work with the writers and director yes

>i can't imagine being a fan of garth ennis's work and watching this shit

I can´t imagine Ennis saying he is OK with this but, hey! money talks and looks like he is happy with Rogen´s production

>make show based on comic that thrives on weird, darkly surreal, and comically insane shit
>decide to make it a realistic slow burn "mystery"

This right here is why the show is destined to fail, it's hesitant to embrace the things that actually make it unique. It's not terrible but it's straining to break out of the mold it's been forced into.

>I can´t imagine Ennis saying he is OK with this but
He's watched Mark Millar's ass vomit turned into blockbusters for the past decade, I'm sure he's OK with it being his turn for once.

>>decide to make it a realistic slow burn "mystery"

>WOO YEAH I'M A VAMPIRE ON A JET BEING CHASED BY VAMPIRE HUNTERS WOOO I JUST ATE A COW

some more slow burn than others

I think the show progresses along a comfortable parallel to the comics. Of course it can't follow the pacing, it's a different medium.

At it's core, the religious undertones are still there. That's what drives the story in both the comics and the show.

>Of course it can't follow the pacing, it's a different medium.

They can follow the pacing. Rogen want to turn Preacher into Lost, thats why the pace was changed.

Consultor is pretty much the role given to a creator when they are part of a bastardized adaption like this with an approval to the production in exchange for royalties + extra fee. See the original Ghostbusters cameo and promotion over the reboot.

I'm a fan of the comic series and really like it. It feels like it's built for binge watching, however.
As an adaptation I'm fine with them jumbling everything around as long as important bits are still in it and it's entertaining. It's hit both criteria for me so far. But then again I like westerns and slower paced stories.

Reminder that there is only THREE FUCKING EPISODES of this shit.

They will eventually get to everything cause all of it is in the comic.

It shows more about the instant fuckiing gratification of this generation that they can't fucking let a fucking SETH ROGAN show play out before instantly deeming it a failure.

Good luck getting anything on the level of the Sopranos ever again. Golden Age of TV my ass.

It has nothing to do with the comics besides the characters.

The show would be fine without Tulip and the tropey "YA HAVE TO GO BACK TO YER BAD OLD WAYS, JESSE" horseshit. By now it's given adequate context for and meaning for Jesse trying to turn over a new leaf, but they're just gonna keep dwelling on it. I don't care about this asshole that drove off on them.

So, you like the comic but you dont like the pace of the comic, style and characters? because the show change that and more.

I like it all, but I can see why other people, especially those that wanted a direct adaptation, don't. I'm actually really digging the pace and characters, etc. It's more like a remix than an adaptation, but it works for me.

Place your bets, how low will it go?

>drop 12% to 15% of viewers in each episode

1.500 for the next sunday or even lower.
is a downfall.

>but just exists to fulfill a network quota.

what quota?

I think it'll keep dropping until this season of Game of Thrones ends, then bounce back to 1.5.

As someone who never read the comic, should I watch the show?

I've never read the comic, so I knew nothing at all about it. I watched it the other night and was seriously surprised at how much I liked it

>Comic accuracy autist enabled
-No vampire hunters
-Tulip's dad taught her to hunt. She can hold her own in a short gunfight. She's not a Quentin Tarantino wetdream
-Jessie is a self-loathing alcoholic, small town preacher. Once again, NOT a badass ex-criminal
-S&M couple and worried son are show OC
-Arseface and Sheriff Root aren't members of Jessie's congregation.
-Quincannon meat and packing is in a completely different town. They've merged three separate towns from the comic in to one in the show.
-The Angels aren't "LOL SO SPOOKY REZEREcTION." They're just literally angels in togas in the comic, and they don't do any of the silly "put it in a coffee can" bullshit either.
-So far the intro to the Saint of Killers (wild west from ep2) is the most accurate thing they've done.

You'll likely enjoy it far more than those of us who have.

No. It's pretty fucking bad.

Packed with Hollywood cliches.

>ep1 wasn't up against game of thrones
>ep3 was up against orlando histrionics
I have a bit more hope for the backend of the season.

>why-is-preacher-slow

Because you forgot to take your Ritalin.

I watched 3 eps with some normies the other day. They literally could not follow any plot points and where constantly asking who was who and who was related to who.

In 3 episodes it pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

I'm thinking most people are used to everything wrapping up in 1 episode instead of an entire season. Most shows are episodic or a mix of episodic or arc across a season. Thus they get their ADHD fix. This one seems to have much the same, via individual character stories and how Preacher deals with them

It is fairly good, better than expected. Don't give a shit about the comics, they don't matter nor does any source material ever matter when you are watching a movie or show. Comparing movies/shows with reading material is just ignorance.

yeah i can't imagine why they would have changed that storyline for the tv show

>Because you forgot to take your Ritalin.

Is slow, but not slow in a way that you feel there is a built up. Is slow in a way feels unfocused. The show have changes of genre, tone and pace, that make it feel messy. There are awesome scenes that feel unconected. Characters

Maybe the later episodes pays the build, but now feels like the plot goes nowhere.

>Comparing movies/shows with reading material is just ignorance.

They are different mediums and thus have different narrative styles that best suit each medium for this particular story. But your point is not completely fair since people first knew this characters in the original media and they are loved because of it. Comparisons are inevitable, and while judging it for the fidelity is stupid, when they mangle the characters and stories you loved theres a reasonable anger there.

>change character personalities/background have something to do with the medium

Poor´s man defense. Did you read OP´s article?

quota of characters who are normies in a story about 3 outrageous characters.

My issues with Preacher aren't because "it has to be accurate." It's because the comic version of Jesse is a better character. I'm not comparing the shot to the comics out of some need to see the comic book translated directly to the screen.

He's down on his luck and aimless. He's a loser who has turned to god as an act of self negation and resignation. When he becomes possesed by the entity, it's his first taste of real power. It gives him direction. The transformation doesn't carry as much weight if he was an unbeatable sonuvabitch from the very beginning.

how much more down and on his luck does it get than being a dirt poor drunk preacher in a hick town and you wake up in jail after a drunken bar fight?

Not even remotely slow. It is 3 fucking episodes, kid.

>reading the articles linked in the OP
>ever

It has to do with the medium sometimes, specially with literary works, since somethings don't translate well to the screen, ie profession of the main character, specific bodily characteristics. In this case it was just pure masturbatory hogwash.

>/why-is-preacher-slow-2016-6

Sounds like he'd slit his wrists if he watched something like Barry Lyndon.

>Barry Lindon
>awesome story
>awesome characters
>contained in 187 minutes
>preacher
>3 episodes of 1 hour each one
>still no clue where the story is going

Barry Lyndon pays better the time spent on it.

he was a badass criminal (i think car thief, more like a fast and furious character) and his self-hating preacher persona is a thing that his imaginary friend john wayne calls him a faggot when he accepts it

well, desu i'd prb slit my wrists if i ever had to watch it again. you can't tell me that isn't boring af no matter how good it is, and yeah, everyone should watch it once. once.

>A lot of critics now notice how the plot goes nowhere and how much the show need to find a focus

It's only 3 episodes in so far, most new shows take a full season to finally find their direction, usually with a big event happening in the final episode.

How is this even a criticism of a brand new show that is this early into its first season.

>It's only 3 episodes in so far, most new shows take a full season to finally find their direction, usually with a big event happening in the final episode.

That´s why preacher is loosing viewers with each week.

This. Ep 3 will be at 0.57, ep 4 will be at 0.46, ep 5 it will be cancelled.

This show is shit, ruined the comics, and is full of SJW nonsense. Fuck AMC's Preacher.

This sort of drop is pretty common in viewership numbers. Second episode is usually the sharpest drop and then a slow trickle down and should even out.

I think it'll end up around 1.1~1.2 then peak at 1.4~1.5 for the finale. Depends on if its a two hour finale or 1

>he was a badass criminal
>I think car thief

Not like he was really a badass criminal, more an example to ilustrate his previous low life.

>The show only exists to get people to buy the comics anyway.
>show exists as marketing for a comic book almost 20 years old

What kind of delusional life do you lead?

Slow because with 3 episodes there is no goal or plot, no defined genre or pace.

This. I have no idea what's happening. What exactly is going on? It's been three episodes. Who are these characters? How is vampires possible in real life? How is the beard guy controlling people? It's very confusing and it's been three whole episodes already.

I would think after the horrifying slow pace TWD took compared to the comics, people would understand that AMC can't adapt comic books for shit.

It's not at all related to the comics, everything is different. Tulip was never demonized and Jesse was never a criminal. They messed around with the story so much it's hard to call it preacher

>beard
I still can understand why Jesse looks like a hipster instead of the grunge guy of the comics

The whole Nu-male look of jesse is a bit dumb.

This series is so amazingly bad. The stunt casting with Tulip is just dumb. The plot has diverged from the all-important graphic novel. I'm really upset.

>influenced by shows like 'Lost.' I love that show," explained Rogen
so he is already admitting he has no idea of a basic story arc for the whole series?

"Lost" showed ABC network sinking back to it's well earned reputation as the most intellectually empty media produced.

If Joseph Gilgun wasn't in the show, I wouldn't even bother.

Yes you would, contrarian comicfag