What is the most pretentious film of all time?

What is the most pretentious film of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/98ipg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tree of Life or the Fountain

The Holy Mountain

The Holy Fountain

The Holy Mountain is not pretentious because it doesn't insist upon it's own relevancy or meaning. Sure a lot that doesn't make sense happens, and a lot is extremely open to interpretation. But it never feels like it's doing anything but presenting these abstract acid fueled journeys to you.

The Fountain, on the other hand, is fucking pretentious garbage. Anyone who likes it is a fucking retard and knows nothing about film.

Beyond The Black Rainbow.

The Holy Fountain on the Mountain of Life

You know who uses the word pretentious on Sup Forums? Pretentious people.

everything by Terrence Malick

Monty Python and the Holy Mountain

ITT:
>The
>the
>Holy

>it doesn't insist upon it's own relevancy or meaning
lmao you just won the prize for daily pretentious award

ah, that word again, pretentious. the term people with limited critical thinking skills use when presented with a film they are incapable, for various reasons, of appreciating. whenever i hear that term irl, i'm grateful because i automatically know i'm dealing with a dunce or someone with a limited capacity for critical thought.

>it doesn't insist upon it's own relevancy or meaning
Come on now, you fully well know it's pretentious as fuck

empire by andy Warhol

Cache and the white ribbon. Malick is not pretentious at all.

not that guy, but, no, it doesn't
jodorowsky just seems like a guy who makes movies for his own pleasure and doesn't give a shit about what other people think about them
that's as far from pretentious as you can get

Donny Darko

Begotten

Anything by Lars von trier

Cremaster cycle

two of the most pretentious things together in one film: dogs (got to pick up their shit) and basketball (excruciatingly painful "sport" to watch)

Begotten

Too many of them to count.
Twenty years ago I stopped watching cinéma completely, instead opting to take part in my local kino commune. I've watched pieces that technically don't exist, and it's nothing but trash.
imgur.com/a/98ipg

this piece of shit pretends it has any merit whatsoever when in reality literally everything especially from a production standpoint is calculated to attract praise and awards.

its basically like some scumbag decided to combine tarkovsky imagery with apocalypto and the stylistic choices of malick (literally hiring the same dp and this time telling him to go all in and use as many camera gimmicks as he wants) and a few other lesser known works as ham handedly as possible and it managed to work on a bunch of fucking retards who dont even know if they want to classify it as high or low art, they just know they're supposed to like it.

pretty much everything about this movie is overdone; the cinematography, the casting and performances, the runtime, the length of the production itself, the fucking acceptance speeches..

total fucking garbage.

anyone who actually liked this fucking disaster should remove themselves back to their containment board.

>Tarkovsky imagery.
Please don't call it that, there's influence of Chivo's cinematography if anything (which he created with Malick), few bits like the woman were Tarkovsky nods, yes but not nearly enough to call it all Tarkovksy influenced.

And it's a simple old testament like revenge tale brought down by its length and ending

It's not as bad as you letterboxd faggots or whatnot want to believe.

>Two thousand years ago I stopped watching cinéma
ft4u

Batman V Superman

Anything ever made by Chris Nolan.

Do people unironically think Malick is pretentious? Regardless of if his films click with you, surely you can see the sincerity and emotion he puts into them. Not at all pretentious

You just have low IQ, his films are far from pretentious.

Shit like Ex Machina is *pretentious*

Half the people who use that word don't know what it means and couldn't analyse a film to save their life.

I think a lot of people feel like it's pretentious due to the constant and often grating voiceover.

EoE

Not even the most pretentious gooktoon, lad.

There Will Be Blood, The Master

Anything attached to either Harmony Korina or Larry Clark

Neither of those are even remotely pretentious

This seemed too sincere to be pretentious

Shit youre right
Love them both though

what exactly was pretentious about that one? Its rather straightforward being a metaphor for christian spiritual growth while showing off some pretty surreal pictures.

yea, you're a fucking idiot too. its not even influenced; its cut and paste with a few tweaks for reasons i dont even understand, since people who know know what hes copying, and those that don't, don't. he didn't exactly disguise it enough to enter the realm of ambiguity.

spoiler alert: i still give it a 6.5/10 or so. from a technical perspective it is really impressive at times, as you would expect from an overachieving tryhard director. and a lot of the problems (almost all of them actually) go back to the director. i can't easily fault anyone else in the production, maybe the script left a bit to be desired (he had a hand in that too) but it wasn't bad removed from the context of what it was turned into.

theres a better version of this movie (type, themes, style) in there somewhere. its called the assassin and its also overrated for a lot of the same reasons but its better than this

following up that recommendation, i gotta say; intent matters. and when you're making "art" with flagrantly reused elements and nothing to say for the sake of awards, you're doing it wrong. take your manufactured "arthouse blockbuster" and fucking kill yourself.

I don't think it was pretentious, it just didn't have anything new to say, so it felt old and rehashed. And when you take the subjectmatter (which is hard to understand, and the writer didn't really either) into consideration, it's easy to see it as pretentious. I don't think it was though, I honestly feel like Garland was interested in what it was he was writing about. Garland get's a lot of shit from people who thinks he's pretentious, I don't think he is. I just think that he isn't very smart.

>Comparing HHH to Tarkovsky influenced cinema let alone AGI

lol, moron

Garland is doing what is essentially a remake of Tarkovsky's STALKER next (even EM was influenced by Andrei).

I found EM just incredibly stupid and that sort of digital cinematography was just not for me

There was one stunning imagery in EM when Ava is against few trees as a silhouette though

That's pretentious

Hard to call it pretentious when it spends at least 40 minutes of heavy exposition and back and forth dialogue to get its point across.

The remake is better, shoot me.

crash

nah this film isn't pretentious

why does this pig faced cunt think she's hot shit?

Fuck off

le epik Interstellar

this post belongs in the psuedo-cinephile starter pack

hah triggert

I'm sorry but Terrrence's films are simple narratives. Only thing that might throw you off is lack of conventional dialogue, but that's nothing since Terrence is hell bent on telling the story through very distinct visuals (what you see)

>Cache and the white ribbon

Kill yourself.

Inception

anything by bergman. god i can't fucking stand him.

Anything made before 1980 is automatically pretentious because I don't have the attention span to watch it.

Everything that's ever won an Oscar.

Elephant, Nolan movies (especially TDKR, Inception and Interstellar) Deadpool (I've never seen a movie so pleased with itself for accomplishing so little)

But for real, I think Nolan literally loves the smell of his own farts.

The way I see it, being pretentious is only bad if you actually fail to achieve what you aspire to do.

This so much.

All of these are good films.

The novel is much better.

>loves the smell of his own farts.
I-Isn't that normal?

I didn't get it though, so it is.

But if something is pretentious, it doesn't aspire to do much, it just wants to seem like it did. That's why neither Tree of Life not Beyond the Black Rainbow are pretentious, because while (imo) the former succeeded and the latter failed, both tries something with sincerity. It's stuff like Villeneuve and Iñarritu with empty gestures that attempt to create the illusion of depth that are truly pretentious. They want to seem deep or complex without actually striving for anything

Spring breakers

Salo (120 Days of Sodom)

It was just an excuse to have alot of naked people and sex

>. It's stuff like Villeneuve and Iñarritu with empty gestures that attempt to create the illusion of depth that are truly pretentious
Pretty much

Sicario = widely known fact paraded as BREAKING NEWS DARK SECRET.

Prisoners = full of empty religious symbolism.

>Deadpool
seriously. what a fucking self-masturbatory movie

I'll just leave this here

dude it's totally a commentary on fascism maaan just like Serbian film it's political satire maaan

Fuck that movie and fuck this guy.

Lynch isn't pretentious, his fans are

he just makes weird shit that doesn't make sense and his dumbfuck followers eat it up and ask for more while he laughs his ass off

Anything by Catherine Breillat

That one movie that used Scarlet Johanssen's tits to trick you into sitting through an hour and a half of the most boring shit in the world.

Pretentious =/= bad. You all realise that, right?

You can't hide from me /k/athloic, I haven't forgotten.

how is pretentious good?

pierrot le fou

Ive seen persona, Fanny and alexander and Wild strawberrys.

I dont understand how any of them could be viewed as pretentious (maybe other than persona for its non-traditional filming/storytelling methods, which arent even pretentious just unusual).

Wow, no one has posted 2001: A Space Odyssey yet?

Magnolia

wouldn't be my Kubrick choice. I'd go with EWS

I wouldn't call Ex Machina pretentious at all. Oh, it was a total mess that didn't know what story it wanted to tell, and seemed completely confused about what message it wanted the audience to take from it, but it was always TRYING to get a clear message across and didn't spend too much time dwelling on the navel-gazing "but what IS humanity, really?" bullshit that most A.I. stories do.

The normies love this movie but ehh

No one has posted it due the fact that it isn't pretentious.

2 deep 4.5 u

I saw an incredibly pretentious "film" at this movie festival thing in the town square

Ballet Mécanique, it's some 1920s French Dada shit. Literally 20 minutes of objects changing their positions to horrible music

EWS and 2001 are great tho, and neither is pretentious

battle in heaven

Not pretentious, just surreal.

I actually found it darkly comedic on a second watch. You can tell that the film doesnt take itself seriously. A bit like Twin peaks.

The longest beginning ever. I almost fell asleep so many times.

It's the definition of pretentious

someday you'll learn there's more to film than posing questions and not answering them. Just because Kubrick was a technical autist who wasted 2 weeks of his life re-recording a tapping sound doesn't make everything he touched gold

I agree, but I hold that those two and Barry Lyndon are fantastic films. The rest of Kubrick's filmography is much more overrated

Only God Forgives

Holy shit

Oh look, babby finally reached his "Kubrick isn't good anymore" phase. Don't worry, you'll get over it, someday you'll learn why his films are more than posing questions without answers. Certainly many of his movies are overrated, but there's a reason he's so highly regarded in the first place

El Topo was so pretentious I cringed.

>all that heavy handed Jesus symbolism