Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1811

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!lZBT1QpT!Njw2M7z6bWFc5bxQnXUeBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
mega.nz/#F!pE5CTKhJ!3yV3HKcOKraUu9CcutKsLA
mega.nz/#!BVxVxCYJ!TxjoWahUsWEGm5SDhHEYQQfCb-2088X5SdrVmF_0HJY
amazon.ca/Erection-x77ED-x7DE8-x5091-x4F5C/dp/4862974430
jdobr.es/pdf/Dobres-etal-2017-Ambient.pdf
trrjournalonline.trb.org/doi/abs/10.3141/2624-01
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hell yeah, retention over 90% for 3 days in a row, I will get out of review hell! 出来る!

What's the difference between ohys raws and leopard raws?

Fuck, I'm reading Yotsuba and having a blast, have been laughing (and understanding) through and though.

According to AniDB, Leopard doesn't rip BR stuff, only HDTV, while Ohys do both.

I'm talking about the quality for TV rips.

あっちこっち 第7巻 is up.
It was released on the 10th but missed the email confirmation, thinking it was coming out in March.
mega.nz/#F!lZBT1QpT!Njw2M7z6bWFc5bxQnXUeBQ

>thread constantly dying
Time to merge with the Japanese thread?

It's a such a fucking great series, isn't it?
Makes you feel good.

so we can shitpost with peru, thai, the f., pantsuya, mayuyu (or whatever), the koreaboo, the rila autist and every other trip fag/autist that I forgot... no thank you

It eases the pain a little, I feel understood for my fatherly yearnings. Besides, the art style makes everything look extra nice, very collectible... because it's so clean and yet volumetric.

I also feel for Fuuka constantly getting rekt, wish I could acknowledge her kindness, poor thing.

Time to merge your body with a railroad.

How to say "she broke up with me" ?

Reading through the Japanese learning thread on /jp/ and the other Japanese thread up on Sup Forums, though, they seem pretty messy. The Japanese non-learning thread on Sup Forums, with /brit/ type chatter and the Japanese learning thread on /jp/, with, well, autism.
In these threads, a couple of times I've had questions and a few germanons, swedanons and japanons have been really helpful in a way kind of unlike the other threads are, even if it may take longer to get a response.
Ultimately don't mind where the thread is, as I'll still post the same sort of things and ask the same sort of questions but the other two threads don't seem very interesting.

Kind of enjoy the flags a little. There is something nice about being able to discuss these sorts of things with anons from around the world, or at least that's what their IP address insinuates.

>I also feel for Fuuka constantly getting rekt, wish I could acknowledge her kindness, poor thing.
It's alright, Fuuka is love.
Even with those fat legs. (・ω・`)

彼女に振られた
Something like that.

I always had the impression that the higher your japanese level the lower your interest in typical weeb stuff

the DJT on /jp/ seems to be pretty occupied with beginner questions

That could be the case, though I doubt I'll ever really have a low interest in typical weeb stuff. Are we talking about anime, manga, light novels, visual novels and that sort of stuff as weeb? Let's say as proficiency increases and general interest in weeb stuff fades a little, what are you thinking of which replaces that spark of interest?
>the DJT on /jp/ seems to be pretty occupied with beginner questions
Reading through the previous thread they had, it gave me the impression that it was still sort of in Sup Forums mode, caught up in bickering over largely irrelevant things in some sort of one-upmanship. Over beginner questions, as you pointed out. Those are pretty easy to go overboard with. A couple of times I've asked questions but they were ignored, perhaps not beginner enough.

I mean sure, I'd still watch anime if I ever find one again that isn't just trivial garbage

>what are you thinking of which replaces that spark of interest?
that's really hard to say, I'd love to be able to read japanese literature fluently at some point, but other than that... not so sure, except visiting japan some time

>it gave me the impression that it was still sort of in Sup Forums mode, caught up in bickering over largely irrelevant things in some sort of one-upmanship.
And this thread is somehow /not/?
>A couple of times I've asked questions but they were ignored, perhaps not beginner enough.
If the answer to your question is "read more" and you don't need to be told it, you're probably not going to get any sort of answer.

There are a bunch of novels I'd like to read and also a lot of reading up in history, but in all honesty still has weeb roots.
Shame about the anime. Do you mean trivial as in mundane, "slice of life" sort of stuff that you don't enjoy? I really get into that but if you aren't into it I can see how a lot of anime may not appeal.

>And this thread is somehow /not/?
Not that I've noticed but maybe I've got blinders on and aren't seeing it.
>If the answer to your question is "read more" and you don't need to be told it, you're probably not going to get any sort of answer.
While they could have been questions that "read more" is an answer, it wouldn't be a useful answer because "read more" can pretty much apply to everything. Damn, man, this is the sort of aggressive stuff I was talking about. Why? Why so defensive and assuming? It's like you've taken the comments personally.

>Damn, man, this is the sort of aggressive stuff I was talking about.

>And this thread is somehow /not/?
Since the move I feel like there's been less. I don't have anything to back it up though, but I almost get the feeling most of those people moved to the /jp/ thread rather than this one.

>but I almost get the feeling most of those people moved to the /jp/ thread rather than this one.
"us vs them" at its finest
stop posting about /jp/

Well it's that or they quit altogether. Just pointing out an observation.

yea I really don't like slice of life stuff, episodic series, Shounen stuff and I really really hate Moe shit and if the description text starts with "typical protagonist-kun was an average highschool student, but then" I drop it right there... I watched LoGH 3 times already

Thanks user.
Does that deck also have an entry for 振られる?
Trying to see which is more common for say, rejecting someone as opposed to dumping someone you are already in a relationship. These are two dictionary entries:
振られる:
>[動ラ下一]《動詞「ふる」の未然形+受身の助動詞「れる」から》要求をはねつけられる。こばまれる。特に、異性に言い寄って拒絶される。「彼女に振られる」「連立を申し入れたが振られてしまう」
見限る:
>[動ラ五(四)]見込みがないとしてあきらめる。見切りをつける。「会社を見限る」「医者にも見限られる」
Just searching for the words on google and trying to read blog entries of whatever, I don't know which is more common and for what contexts.
Anyone know what is generally used:
見限る for dumping someone/cutting off a relationship and 振られる for generally rejecting someone if they propose or try to advance on you?

Sounds like anime really isn't for you.
There are a lot of more "mananime" type manga out there, though. Stuff like
土竜の唄

夏子の酒
新宿スワン
島耕作シリーズ
自殺島
maybe.

He also might like Psycho-Pass, assuming he hasn't already seen it.

Agreed though, most anime I think is aimed at teens, kids, or manchildren, and if you don't fit one of those categories you probably won't like much of anything. I guess that's why as sophistication and understanding of the language goes up, typical interest in that stuff goes down. That said though I enjoy watching lighthearted stuff after a stressful day so that's just me.

Both DJTs are occupied with beginner questions, because beginners tend to ask the most questions.

thanks senpai, I'll check it out later

>Psycho-Pass
dropped it after a few episodes 2bh, but thanks

Got it from Core10k, there is no entry for 振られる.

But I feel like this 振られる one is more used to rejecting, while the other is backing down, setting a new limit on a relationship, "looking only, no touching", meaning breaking up.

There is also 割り切る, which in Anki shows as:
彼[かれ]とは 仕事[しごと]だけの 関係[かんけい]と 割り切[わりき]っている
My relationship with him is purely professional.

They should all be in the CoR.

So is DJT dead? I used to love it on Sup Forums, refound it recently, and now it seems dead as fuck.

It split in half so each thread only gets half the posts of the old unified thread.

Yes the Sup Forums mod pretty much effectively killed it

Mondays, man. Y'all fuckers trying to get a hold of your pathetic lives and stopping to waste time at the 4chins. Tomorrow the first ones to give up will already start to show up until Sunday.

A lot of people come in here whining about laziness and whatnot, but shit dude, that's your personal problem. That's you being spineless, or weak. Grow up! Read Yotsuba and hanahira a second time if need be. Get a clue. Laziness doesn't have a cure. It's all in your head. You just have to buckle up. And if you can't, get out of here! You're done.

So it's time to get out the Grammar Hammer and nail those little bastards down.

>Should I ever bother to learn the world "fuss"? I heard that most people just use "bother" to say the same thing.

I felt like that yesterday.

I read anyways.

I struggled the entire time, failing to recognize words that I know and having trouble wrapping my head around several sentences.

However, by the end of it, I still committed several new words to my vocabulary.

Go read!

By chance, I'm organizing my saved pictures from the last few months and came to this pic, might give someone a giggle.

Love me some bipolar motivation-chan. Ganbatê, everyone.

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Anyone got tips for learning counters?

>夏子の酒
good shit

Any tips for thinking in Japanese? I find when I'm actually in situations where I'm talked to in Japanese, even questions that have simple answers, I struggle to answer or think clearly.

>Going to night classes at local college
>Japanese Beginners class
>A few months ahead of my classmates
>Breeze through most of the lessons since large chunks are in English and questions are very easy
>Teacher talks to me in Japanese outside of the lesson and I struggle to answer a basic Japanese question which I know how to answer

Just DO IT.

Just think using japanese in your day to day life. Don't think "I'm hungry", think "お腹が空きました", or some shit.

I'm not there yet, but I will probably make a deck just for them and most certainly an excel table.
In fact, I wish I could make tables for all sorts of things, grouping by subject, as reference.

I'll finish learning my joyo before, though.

Sounds like you need to talk to yourself more often.
Also shadowing. You lack confidence because you lack AUDIO memories. Contour is everything in spoken language, and you have no references to look up to when it's time to put words together.

If you can think of a specific character and copy his way of speaking, you will see how easier it is to impersonate him than to speak like yourself.
Switching between several different "personalities" like this can make you used to more dynamism.

In English I'd always speak like brits, rednecks, niggers, indians, moms and what have you, seeing if I could get the "flow" of each other.

Explain ideas to yourself, narrate your everyday life, have discussions with yourself, speaking out loud.

>Anyone got tips for learning counters?
Whenever you encounter one you don't know, add 一 + counter to your mining deck. Honestly, they're not that hard unless you care about production.

The table stuff is really useful but can be time consuming, I like having the reference and I was sorting all my anki words in the beginning but got overwhelmed really quick.

Here's a counter chart from a teacher I know.

A second one.

>when your general is so shit a mod moves it to Sup Forums instead of deleting it

狼少年は今日も嘘を重ねる
第1~3巻
mega.nz/#F!pE5CTKhJ!3yV3HKcOKraUu9CcutKsLA

How did you guys learn conjugation rules? Did you make an Anki deck, or read while looking them up until you didn't need to anymore? Or maybe some other method?

I was in a class but I still struggle with it, I can get formal conjugations fine but for some reason casual is harder. Maybe because it all sounds so simliar blended. Like when I read, ます、ました、ません、ませんでした、it's very easy to discern that was a verb I just heard but with a bunch of ない、た、った、なかった、I find they blend in more to sentences.

日本人女性と混血したくて可愛いハーフ娘を作りたい

>傑作
>masterpiece
>best work
>boner

I've got an Anki deck lying around that has conjugations, if you want to have a look at it.
mega.nz/#!BVxVxCYJ!TxjoWahUsWEGm5SDhHEYQQfCb-2088X5SdrVmF_0HJY

Less hassle to buy one instead.

amazon.ca/Erection-x77ED-x7DE8-x5091-x4F5C/dp/4862974430

買えるわけがない、キモイ

>mega.nz/#!BVxVxCYJ!TxjoWahUsWEGm5SDhHEYQQfCb-2088X5SdrVmF_0HJY
ありがとう!

(*´ڡ`●)

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Those tables waste a lot of space and make me feel depressed.

Making my own tables help me because I can format them to better suit my needs.
Here's a sketch of how I'd probably do it.

I agree, I'm frustrated it wasn't made in kanji.

Is there a reason this has the same thing 4 times?

Is there really a different counter for whites and blacks?

hm I think I found a way to remember 鬱, it's a condition when you would like to 撃つ yourself

Black people: kuso
White people: sama
Chinese (kanji for dogs): chin, chon

I would double check the factual accuracy of this information.

>Chinese (kanji for dogs): chin, chon
Is that like, derogatory or slang or something?

>Is there a reason this has the same thing 4 times?
As this is just for the purpose of demonstration, I didn't bother writing different stuff in every part. It's there to show how new kanji would be added. I would probably expand downwards too, aiming at keeping it square. Maybe color coding subjects (counters for animals, by physical aspect, etc.)

if you speak that romanization in Japanese it sounds like "ching chong".

They call Chinese ching chongs?

振られる is much more common and specific to being rejected.

見限る is a more general word that is used in different situations and kind of makes sense to mean being dumped

別れる is normal for dumping someone

This makes it sound like we do indeed need to know what reading is what (kun vs on) in several cases, right? Isn't the wisdom on DJT to generally ignore this information?

Silence isn't bad.

をするだけ
Start with individual words, it'll come naturally. It doesn't matter if you're constantly switching back into English or if you're thinking in wrong grammar, WHO CARES? You'll get better as time goes on, it's practice either way.

this guy gets it

Not really because most of the time (almost all of the time) those honorifics are going to be written in the kana. I have never seen 御茶 on paper.

>those honorifics are going to be written in the kana
If you're trying to write or speak Japanese, that actually makes it more difficult, right?

>If you're trying to speak in Japanese, that actually makes it more difficult, right?
How? You don't speak in kanji.

It also doesn't make written Japanese harder because if you see an お attached to the beginning of a word, especially one that's otherwise in kanji, then it's probably used as an honorific.

I'm saying that because, in order to correctly use お or あ, you have to know which reading you're using. This seems to say you can't produce 御 before a noun without knowing whether you're using a kun or on reading.

>in order to correctly use お or あ
Where are you getting あ from?

あ茶 isn't a word, that's how you know

>あ
>honorific

Okay then

Sorry, typo - tried to write ご.
Yes yes, I typed the wrong kana. So, can you determine that ご茶 is invalid without knowing it's an on reading?
Why is this one mistake such a ridiculous deal to you guys? Kind of bizarre.

ご茶 isn't a word either

So in other words, you're learning that 茶 is using a native reading without realizing it?

Yes, I don't pay attention to onyomi and kunyomi, I just learn words.

you don't really need it that often anyway, at least not us

ご存知でしたか、 今日俺はもう二回目にマスをかきました

Okay, that makes sense then. I guess I have a different learning style, so I'll have to remember it differently.

ひ is cool because it looks like a smile
つ is cool because it looks like a nose
う is cool because it looks like an nose juggling candy
へ is cool because it looks like an eyebrow
ふ is cool because it looks like a sea monster
く is cool

ひひひひひ

>ひ is cool because it looks like a smile
>つ is cool because it looks like a nose
>へ is cool because it looks like an eyebrow
that's some weird ass face 2bh

ひ is a ballsack

Better face desu

>mfw

ふ is the nose of a wrinkly old man.

Saldron too

独身の生活が生きる

Tell me about valentines in Japan

別に気にしない、俺は
快適な独身生活を送っているからね

Fucking hell, these J-cat timers are pretty brutal.

hmmm... really made me think...

also what does "ah so des ne" mean? i keep on hearing it in this comedy show i started watching (it has subtitles)

it's either stuff like "let me think..." "wait a sec" "I know, I know" or "I agree" "I think so" instead of Yes etc

fuck that meant "you know, you know"

Black-on-white text display has been shown to be more legible, but research shows that this advantage is caused by the extra illumination caused by the overall brightness of the screen.

jdobr.es/pdf/Dobres-etal-2017-Ambient.pdf

In highly illuminated lighting conditions with infringements on direct visibility (motion, chromatic aberration, reflections, etc), white-on-black text is shown to result in faster comprehension (i.e. highway signs).

trrjournalonline.trb.org/doi/abs/10.3141/2624-01

Coming back to the thread for the first time in like 2 years (and had a hell of a time finding it, can't believe it got booted off Sup Forums), but is there I noticed in the guide that genki and remembering the kana have been pretty much completely removed in favor of tae Kim and realkana. Is there any real reason for that besides expediency?

I'm trying to learn writing too, and I remember them both being a huge help when I was first trying to write (especially remembering the kana), so I'm confused as to why they were abandoned wholesale. Is getting people to reading and mining quickly just that important?

Remembering The Kana is awful. Also realkana has been booted as well because of malicious ads.

Genki is worse for self-study than tae kim. Both are heavily flawed but there are no real alternative suitable for normal beginners.

What is this 嬉しゅう thing?

That's how 形容詞 were conjugated in classical Japanese.