Cunt

>Cunt
>What's the origin of your country's name?

>Denmark
>Charlemange had just won a long war against the saxons, was exhausted, and decided he didn't want to invade the Danes, so he established a March (Demilitarized zone) and called it Dane's March which became Denmark.

Other urls found in this thread:

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitela
youtube.com/watch?v=miOWJ4rKb_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Paraguay
"y" means river in guarani. hence "Urugua-y", "Pirata-í" (BR), "Chajar-í" (AR) etc.
the "Paragua" is where everyone differs, but i like the version that says that it means "Born from the sea" (Pará means "sea", but also means "green", so they might be calling "green sea to the large swamp known as Pantanal today)

Österreich meins eastern realm in ye olde german. Because it was the most eastern part of the HRE in the 950s.

>flag
>One of the tribes that united (or were countered or even something else, nobody's sure) and create our country (Polanie)

>flag
>Land of the Romans

Danish changed so little it's still Oestrige

(Oest, rige)

Suomi
Literally just area/land

leaf
Means "to the village" in some indian language apparently. At least that's the established meme

I'm WRONG!

IT'S FROM THE LATIN ''ROMANUS'', MEANING ''CITIZEN OF ROME''

>get cucked so hard by the Romans that years after they leave, you literally name your country after them
Holy shit

Village of the leaves

Really makes me ponder

>Republic Of China

>based on a quote by Sun Yat-sen
>"To expel the northern barbarians
>and to revive Zhonghua
>to establish a republic
>and to distribute land equally among the people."

>"Zhonghua" means Chinese or China

>not being proud to be a citizen of the empire

probably derived from some scandinavian tribe

>Sverige
>derived from Svea Rike which means Realm of the Swedes
>the Swedes along with the Geats ("Goths") were two tribes that now make up modern day swedes alongside Scanians and the Gutes (Gotland)

Literally peoples-land with people meaning those that can roughly understand each other in this general area between slavland and the romanics.

>South Africa

Hmmm I'm not sure

Not for long, you will change name to Taiwan soon.

I thought it meant land of the Roma (Gypsies)

Polska comes from the tribe of Polanie, and they probably took their name from either pole ("field")
or polana ("glade")

>naming your country after a foreign city

It would be a step up actually.

You got a problem with that??

Nobody actually knows how 'Hrvat' originated.

Gypsies came long after the Roman empire crumbled...

Land of the Roma

Roma stole their name from the Romans. it was their way to try to look more european
"Gypsy" comes from the belief that they're from Egypt, as well
those people really don't have a proper name

yes??

that's what it actually means, don't fall for their propaganda

Ahh hehe I was jk

D-do you have a sauce for that??

this is why i prefer to call you Rumania, like in spanish
romani and rumani are two different people, albeit with the same shit personality but yeah different

Screw you all.

I like the name and i'm glad we were part of the Empire, no matter how short it was.

Why are canadians so faggot?

>tfw American originality

Italia = from the etruscan Viteliu = ''Long horned young cattle''.

East Asian culture doesn't shun homos like the west does.

i wish so

this "retake mainland" meme has made us suffer enough

"Ruman'' is a really old word meaning ''Romanian''

No one besides, rural, uneducated folk, uses it anymore

AHAHAHA CORNUTI

>the name Rus' is derived from Proto-Slavic *roud-s-ь ( from *rъd-/*roud-/*ryd- root), connected with red color (of hair) or from Indo-Iranian (ruxs/roxs — «light-colored», «bright»)

Well it should.

Here. Have a girlfriend simulator to make you less gay

Hispania
Name of all the Hispani tribes.

this is fucking bullshit that is neither the translation nor the meaning of it at all. how high are you?

Are you Ger's bf?

Yeah basically this

(Do the word ''Vitelo'' for a young bull exist also in spanish?)

Doesnt mean teutsch, something like Volk, albeit derived from some german tribespeak?

only as loanword for this es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitela
which now i understand where it came from

During Antiquity and Middle Ages, the literary texts derive the term Hispania from an eponymous hero named Hispan, who is mentioned for the first time in the work of the Roman historian Gnaeus Pompeius Trogus, in the 1st century BC.

The original word was kanata, but the Brits misheard it

>Poccи́я, tr. Rossija; from the Greek: Ρωσία — Rus'),

Just like they hear Suomi and called it Finland?

We call Deutschland Tyskland up here in Sweden.

yes I am, why?

yea that's true but that's not why it is called Deutschland, like, at all. what made you think that?

1.Nepal
2.Various theories.

Named after the egyptian kings (pharaoh) that migrated to here after the islamic invasion.

Be my gf (male) instead?

So are you Argentinian or British desu?

Argentina
it means Silvery/Silverish, as in "the Silvery Land".
named after the Rio de la Plata (river of the silver), which is silver colored.
picrelated.

>flag
>its what others called us since ever

It's not like we could come up with something of our own when we've spent 2 millennia fighting each other amirighte..

Southern Land. Speaks for itself

>Australia
>my country is more austral

there's an english word "argentine", and it means exactly that "silver-colored"
also there's the story that conquistadors were sure they'd find silver ores in your land (and they did)

Stay away from Antarctica. Its ours

But I don't get aroused by male genitalia, that would be a problem in a long term relationship I suppose

>Deutschland, Tyskland, etc.
Land of the people
>Germania, Germany, etc.
Land of the noisy neighbors or land of the spearmen. Etymology unclear.
>Alemannia, Alemagne, etc.
Land of all men; land of men of the sanctuary
>Saksa
Land of the knife-men
>němьcь, Niemcy etc.
Land of the mutes/of the people who can't talk right
>Vācija and Vokietija
Unknown. Possibly land of vikings or land of people who can't talk right.

>also there's the story that conquistadors were sure they'd find silver ores in your land (and they did)
that's the retard story, and it says they found nothing.

and yes, "Argentine" should actually be the name of both the country and the people, but whatever.
some people do use it as a denonym.

Two possible theories.

1. Arawak word for friendship
2. When discovered in 1499, the Spanish were disappointed with the lack of gold. Oro hubo (there was gold here) - Orubo - Aruba.

Nah we'd work it out

You can just watch ipad while I fuck you or something

>it says they found nothing
yeah at first. but you guys have lots of silver ores, only that up north, don't you?

>In 1507, the German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the lands of the Western Hemisphere "America" after the Italian explorer and cartographer Amerigo Vespucci
> The first documentary evidence of the phrase "United States of America" is from a letter dated January 2, 1776, written by Stephen Moylan, Esq., George Washington's aide-de-camp and Muster-Master General of the Continental Army. Addressed to Lt. Col. Joseph Reed, Moylan expressed his wish to carry the "full and ample powers of the United States of America" to Spain to assist in the revolutionary war effort.

REEEEE

>Oro hubo (there was gold here) - Orubo - Aruba.
that sounds so fucking retarded and implausible that might be true just because it's spaniards we're talking about.

Speaks for itself, really.

I wouldn't like that either. I am afraid that unless you have a vagina and also mentally identify as a woman there is no way this can work out. I am flattered by the offer though and good luck finding someone!

'no'

there's a caribbean island called "Barbuda" so everything's possible

ah ok

Lmao so incompetent that gold was eventually found. We weren't under their rule anymore at that point tho.

KEKED
U
C
K
E
D

not my fault you lot were too lazy to colonise us

>Polanie, derived from Old Slavic pole, "field" or "plain", see polje
That's nice. I'm Eastphalian, the latter part of which is derived from the same source (PIE) and means the same thing. Eastphalia=fields of the dawn

You're very kind

keked

m8, allemagne and other varients is derived from the allemanic tribe which the Franks fought

>South Africa

>gentlemen, what should we name our new found country that's at the bottom of the African continent?
>uhh... South Africa?
>someone give this man a fucking medal!

It's more like bulls rather than calves.
>tfw Italians are the ancestral bulls of humanity

Eh, whatever. At least New Zealand and Tasmania still have Dutch names.

Swede and Swabian are both possibly derived from *swé meaning "our own", as oppsed to other people. It was literally a word used to distinguish your own group of people from another.
Yes and their name means what I wrote in that post. I like to go all the way back.

Tasmania is not dutch reeeeeee

SAG DAS ZU MIR NICHT ONLINE SONDERN IM ECHTEN LEBEN UND SEH WAS PASSIERT DU SCHMIERIGER CLOWN WAS HÄLTST DU DAVON ANSTATT AUF DEN 4CHINS SCHEISSE ZU PFOSTIEREN ABER ICH GLAUB OHNE DEINE TASTATUR KRIEGST NIX RAUS DU TRAURIGES STÜCK SCHIMMELKÄSE ALSO MACH MAL WEITER DAS GESICHT WENN KEINE GF UND SO ICH WÜRDE DIR SO SO GERNE DEINE SCHEISS HÄSSLICHE NASE BRECHEN

Whoa. Settle down there Adolf

:^)
My boy Abel Tasman thinks differently

Our Lord and Savior itself

Shit, wrong image

Finland comes from Swedes calling the area finlonti/finlandi (translated from runes) after a tribe called Finns that lived in the area.

Suomi is suspected to come from the word zeme that means land.

i read it with this voice actually youtube.com/watch?v=miOWJ4rKb_g

Saksa comes from Saxons, and while Saxons get their name from the seax it doesn't mean Saksa has anything to do with the knife.

>Vācija and Vokietija
Something to do with boats I'd reckon

Also saksa just comes from saxons which finnics had contact with most out of mainland german tribes.

Oh shit i didnt even knew this

source?