Japan in the 1980s must have been heaven on earth

Japan in the 1980s must have been heaven on earth

In this thread we discuss and post random things from and about Japan in the 1980s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nheBN2UWAaM
youtu.be/MgDzmTj5tSM
youtu.be/vjUmwxw_Sdk
youtu.be/xeAxAvlxIAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YixAD9GIAuY
youtu.be/Uy5XPdyhzfw
youtu.be/RWTJTQLdLZw
youtu.be/RN4XkJ_C7Nk
youtu.be/lFFevwgJ1tM
youtu.be/uLC3iWCj4fw
youtube.com/watch?v=MFu66ye6YWM
youtube.com/watch?v=4Yjv3EVEfzE
youtube.com/watch?v=QCAElsnjPos
youtube.com/watch?v=42nqDrOvIv0v=DOw0nottvI0
youtu.be/5TxQeTVvYbE
youtu.be/Rm6r1bLHIq4
youtu.be/u5xYdkMiV6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=tg7szC3CIUU
youtube.com/watch?v=gugzhkp_UUQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bob Dylan made a music video there

youtube.com/watch?v=nheBN2UWAaM

Japan's manufacturing industries have earned enormous amount of money from all over the world. One guy who owns a small construction company once told me how ridiculously big money he could earn through simple or small construction works in that age. He built a mansion and let the children go to university.

Post 80s girl

1987 tokyo
youtu.be/MgDzmTj5tSM

Need a time machine

Driving on tokyo expressway

Daytime:
youtu.be/vjUmwxw_Sdk

Night:
youtu.be/xeAxAvlxIAQ

vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape
vaaaaaape
vape

>tfw you will never eat his burger

It was a dark era in Japan cultural history

Here's some nice music for the thread, it's from 1978 but it fits well with the early 80s.

youtube.com/watch?v=YixAD9GIAuY

I was just there in april, Shibuya still feels like that

Now I know why animu hairstyle was like that back then.

God DAMN the left one looks good. This really grows my burgerboner

Isn't it called Classic Stake house?

This guy was running around in the 80s sticking his camera in young childrens vagina then killing them.

Why does Japan get all the cool murderers?

Hayao went a long way man

>Miyazaki

is that mook

Does he really say such things or this is just a meme at this point?

what's that?

I recommend YMO. Its from 1978 too but still awesome
youtu.be/Uy5XPdyhzfw

He's become pretty bitter in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised.

> buy mcdonald expecting epic burger
> its a shriveled pathetic excuse of burger

Why would hat even want Burger in the first place?

Pic related is 中森明菜 Nakamori Akina. She is one of the most famous idol in 80s Japan. She has a well singing voice. I love her dress style so much.
youtu.be/RWTJTQLdLZw
youtu.be/RN4XkJ_C7Nk
youtu.be/lFFevwgJ1tM
youtu.be/uLC3iWCj4fw

>not an hiro

influence of anime and manga

Interesting, a little bit like Kraftwerk.

what

I love this guy. Not even because of his movies but because of what he says. Progressives (and I don't mean that in the American political sense) want us to believe their ideology has a monopoly on beauty and creativity.

That is a seriously cool car interior.
I wish more new cars was like this, with a little more hard edges instead of the soft curves.

youtube.com/watch?v=MFu66ye6YWM
YMO are amazing

Everybody and their mom is getting this in their youtube recommendations lmao

I feel like japan is still stuck in the 80s, early 90s.

Shame America's Plaza Accord Act fucked Japan up the ass so hard that Japan never recovered.

American food franchises in Japan are usually really different than America's.

For example, Japan's KFC uses Dark Chicken Meat, America's KFC uses White Chicken Meat.

However, in Japan, you should get burgers you mainly only get in Japan like Mos Burger

I love this video

youtube.com/watch?v=4Yjv3EVEfzE

the gobsmacked tourists filming add to it

We have Dark and White chicken tho.

>likes 80's Japan
>isn't playing Yakuza 0 right now set in 80's Japan

I need to get a damn ps4 first...

It's my first Yakuzs game and I love it

It would be my sixth...

There's arcade's in Yakuza 0 to where you can go in to play old sega classics

Ah nice so you know the series. Majima is currently my favourite character, hes a fucking badass

Majima's generally fan favorite. They held a massive fan vote in Japan and I think he was voted No. 1 past Kiryu and everybody else.

Yes, love an artist not because of their work but their political opinions which happen to sit nice with your worldview.
Hiro should really range ban you fucking stupid burgers.

at least we can b comfy
youtube.com/watch?v=QCAElsnjPos

theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=42nqDrOvIv0v=DOw0nottvI0

figures, Kiriyu so far seems like a strong, nice and dependable character but Majima is just has bad ass appeal and charm, I like him a lot

lookin' mighty early 00s to me sanpai

some tips for a first-timer:

- story and especially "men's interpersonal relationships" can sometimes be extremely melodramatic, don't be surprised if it happens later on and someone starts crying although I haven't tried 0 yet -- their writer quit after 2 and after that the story has been Deadly Premonition tier

- there is a bonus in each game for completing all side stories: extra boss named Amon (they've made completing the side stuff way, way easier over the years)

- other side stuff and the rewards are usually worthless but fun

yes, in the documentary film Yume to kyôki no ôkoku (Цapcтвo гpёз и бeзyмия)

Thanks man. I'll try and do more of the side stuff, most of the stuff

these cityscapes havent changed since the 80s or so
i dont know much about kansai area, but for instance ueno in tokyo has still almost been in the 60s

I was referring mostly to the attire

1989 Yomiuri Giants

youtu.be/5TxQeTVvYbE

The mid 70's and on city pop is great stuff; occasionally pastiche in a boring monotonous way, though usually more of a fresh and affluent take on all kinds of American and British sounds through the eyes of far easterners.

They truly do fear the samurai...

Really enjoying these choons, thanks for sharing

youtu.be/Rm6r1bLHIq4
youtu.be/u5xYdkMiV6Q

these are better fambolina

Looks like LA. Every picture of Japan looks like LA.

Could some economicsfag explain why Japan's economy has been stagnant since the early 90's and what caused it to boom in the 80's?

Thanks lads

Real estate bubble popped
&
Yakuza

t. clearly an ecomony expert

Thought I would throw my hat in since no one was helping.

Japan 80's = Korea 2000's

Why does Japan still feel like its stuck in the 90s?

Even their current TV broadcasts look old as fuck.

The export industry was a disastrous situation.

>best video games
>best animus
>Hayashibara Megumi prime time
>lewd schoolgirls walking on the street

How do we go back guys

wew

youtube.com/watch?v=tg7szC3CIUU

The crash was mostly caused by over-riding the economic up-turn. This will greatly increase revenue in short-term, but it will also heavily increase inflation.
As seen in this illustration, it is in the very nature of an economy that it will eventually hit a down-turn at some point. But the steeper and more uncontrolled you rise, the harder and more uncontrolled you fall.

For Japan to recover, they decided to rely on loans, instead of just printing more money, in an attempt to cope with their inflation. It took a while for the economy to recover though, so they ended up borrowing far too much money. To this date, Japan have a national debt of approx 200% of their GDP. Because of this, they are having a hard time to find money to stimulate the nations economy with government funds, as they are barely able to pay of the interest on their loans.
And defaulting on their loans would lower their credit ranking, unabling them to take up new loans, necessary for Japan's economy to function at it's current state.

Why would japan agree to this shit? Fug Reagan.

>60 years of wave
Japan's cycle is like this

good post

really surprised considering that flag

Not sure if it's related but Japan seems to be getting pretty popular in the mainstream of USA recently. Before it was relegated to weebs and shamed but Japanese pop culture has become more accepted by "normies" now and I think it will continue even more especially with the Olympics.

Do you think Cool Japan is actually working or coincidence?

Most of the attraction comes from underground retro aesthetic-loving dweebs, so I doubt it's thanks to Cool Japan

>Most of the attraction comes from underground retro aesthetic-loving dweebs
what?

I meant a e s t h e t h i c

"Cool Japan" is self-satisfaction.
Japan needs to improve the contents more.

Cool Japan peaked in the 80s.

I don't think you understood my post

They have been trying to increase soft influence with pop culture and although it has been deemed a failure Japan is thriving in that sense in a way never seen before(not counting tech) starting after the initiative.

Well, seems like it
What exactly did you mean by getting popular recently?

Cool Japan as a concept I don't think existed until the 2000s and only recently I believe has had an actual government initiative with the branding.

I mean I was pretty straightforward; I'm not sure what you mean.

I wasn't talking about any sort of government program or whatever. The concept of Japan being cool peaked in the 80s.

But do you mean music, general culture, anime?
Because there has always been japanophiles (not weeaboos) that thought Japan was cool. Even Hitler was one

>How do we go back
Awaken a stand and turn back time/ reset the universe to the point in the 1980s

Well we're talking about two different things. This is Japan's attempt at a "Hallyu wave".

Not like today. Babymetal is the only Japanese artist in history to have an album chart in the top 40 US billboard chart. One OK Rock just got signed by Fueled by Ramen (Fallout Boy/21 Pilots), and Japanese music is generally getting more popular with more concerts. This is the most important one because it was the one thing Japanese people felt they could just not break into the West.

Regular people are openly watching anime now and there is no stigma anymore. There have always been Japanophiles but I'm talking about average people who don't care about Japan but are increasingly enjoying their pop culture.

Hmm I guess that perhaps you are correct. However I don't know anyone personally who watches anime or listens to Japanese music. The only piece of Japanese culture that I know of that people consume are Western adaptations of Japanese culture.

>Regular people are openly watching anime now and there is no stigma anymore.
This is false.

youtube.com/watch?v=gugzhkp_UUQ

>tfw you feel nostalgia for an era you never experienced in a country you've never been to

ah yes

Well it's not fully there yet but it seems like it's approaching that way. Is this stigma you're talking about amongst young people irl or on the internet? Sure, it's there but much quieter at least. I feel like millennials are far more accepting of stuff these days though so that is a part of it. Or maybe just the shaming about stuff you like was more of a elementary/hs thing and no one cares after that.

IRL and internet. Japanese culture has become very much entwined to the neckbeard and tentacle hentai in this country. The only piece of Japanese culture that doesn't receive stigma that I've seen is manga because people just think they are comic books which have been pretty much rehabilitated. The music thing is interesting, I have never heard anyone talk about listening to anything Japanese but apparently there are lots of people out there buying it.

Depends on the anime. I'm not talking about the fanservice kind. I'm talking about stuff like Attack on Titan which seemed to kick it off with non-anime watchers. I can't use DB Super as an example because it was always an exception.

As for the music thing, it's definitely something I only come across online but I have come across "hip" young people irl openly talk about anime or post about it on social media that are as far from the weeaboo stereotype possible.

I would say Attack on Titan is even more of an exception than DB because it is all violence and no fan service. That is very palatable to most people.

I would say that most Japanese culture is still very niche, at least around here.

DBZ was wiped of all fan service for American audiences though. One Punch Man is another popular one.

But i don't know, I don't care for anime but it seems that way for me. Not that it has approached full normalization in the mainstream but that it is a lot more accepted today. I just have a gut feeling by the time the Olympics are over Japanese pop culture will be huge.

>I just have a gut feeling by the time the Olympics are over Japanese pop culture will be huge.

I suppose it depends on your definition of huge. The only foreign nations with what I would say are huge influences in American culture are other Anglo nations, which isn't all that different.

I agree that Japanese stuff is becoming more "cool' with normies.

All the 20 year olds are nostalgic for DBZ and now its cool to like it cause comic book movies are so big. Also Attack on Titan and One Punch Man are HUGE, even among normies. Pokemon GO and Yugioh Duel Links were also big in this regard. Even the Switch is getting really good normie press.

I just want the Jap Gaming industry to recover.

It's almost as if he likes him as a person, not as an artist.

You know, like he explicitly said.

I think the peak of Japan is 90s(I mean popular culture). No matter music, drama or video games, both quality and diversity are way better than 80s and even nowadays.

I don't agree that any other country's pop culture is very popular actually(currently), I think Japan has everyone beat, although other countries' pop culture doesn't have a stigma and can have a better reputation.

The Pokemon Go craze was one of the craziest things I've ever seen. Man did that sure come and go. I think it was because of how shallow the game was. The concept was great, but the game itself was terrible. I played for about 30 minutes only. The phenomenon was really surreal though, I kind of wish it was still that popular.

British culture has Japanese culture as a presence here beat by such an extent that it might not even exist.

I would say even Canadian and Australian cultural exports beat Japan because they are almost indistinguishable from our own yet immediately identifiable.

Current stuff? Like what? BBC shows have a presence but they aren't very popular with the average person, and musically I can only think of Adele. As for Canada, they have some mega artists musically but not much else and I don't know anything coming out of Australia other than Iggy Azalea who had her whole career ruined pretty much for being Australian.