/cwg/ - Commonwealth General

A thread for the discussion of the Commonwealth, by members of the Commonwealth. Talk about politics, closer ties and ideas for what we can do as a group.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Portuguese_Alliance
theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/03/tony-abbott-says-australia-should-strike-shotgun-trade-deal-with-post-brexit-uk
telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/why-australia-will-do-anything-to-secure-a-trade-deal-with-brita/
express.co.uk/news/uk/744863/Australian-High-Commissioner-free-trade-prosperous-Brexit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dumb thread for dumb people

Fuck the Commonwealth
Fuck the Queen

DORKS

political proposal: start the empire back up again and reconquer the 13 colonies for her majesty

> Commonwealth general
> only Americans posting

Are you that desperate to return?

A little shame Canada is invited

But it keeps the Americans obsessed lol

Moving to Canada soon, going to start a movement to bring back their true flag.

Why is Mozambique part of the Commonwealth, Nige? Is it a Nando's thing?

We didn't steal any of your colon-

Are you so desperate that you had to post an invite in a North American general

>two hundred plus years since """"independence""""
>still salty about the commonwealth

wew

How are things in New Zealand today?

Good lad. My wall of flags will be all the better for it.

It asked to, that's why. :)

>what is canada

Celine Dion is great, eh?
Anyway, why don't we all just give Argentina the Falklands.
It would be nice.

Also, maple syrup, eh?

C-Can we join?

Good try, Paco.

Did you just try to tax me without giving me proper parliamentary representation?

>what is attention whoring

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Portuguese_Alliance

> ever turning down our greatest ally

Of course.

My granda was a kiwi, does that mean I can become kiwi citizen?

Brazil is a commonwealth nation since January 3rd 2017.

The national sport of America, I believe.

I don't have the reverse image.

pathetic response

shan't be replying any longer

Out of interest, do you prefer /lus/ or /iber/, if you browse either?

cringe

I rarely frequent either. All generals suck.

Iber is more novel now, but it's just the same shit. Autismos and shitty unification threads and WE WUZ every other post. Boring.

I dislike /brit/ a lot of the time, but I like talking to those with some unifying factor because stuff is simply less disjointed, so this seemed like a good idea.

Independence was a mistake

There are some perks of still being in the commonwealth so I guess that's a consolation
prize.

Why was independence a mistake? Is there any going back? What are St. Vincent's politics like today?

Being an outsider on generals isn't that bad. Being one of the ""hosts"" or regulars is usually more boring. Namefags are the worst.

That said, there were a bunch of /luso/s with a Brazilian linguist who was pretty great. And once there was an Angolan, which was weird. /iber/ has higher lows, but lower highs.

The quieter and politer Brazilians are absolutely based and great to chat with, and there's a tighter kinship, but it's such a huge country that they came rather far between.

What does /luso/ actually mean? I had always assumed it was a Brazil general until I saw Portugal stuff in there.

Lusitania was the old Roman name for Western Iberia (roughly what became Portugal below Porto).

We use Luso- as our prefix, much like Anglo-, so it describes anything pertaining to Portugal or the Portuguese language. Think Nipo- for Japan or Sino- for China.

So /luso/ is for all former and current Portuguese territories.

It was popularized when our patron Poet (Luís Vaz de Camões) wrote an epic (similar to the Iliad and the Odyssey) and called it the Lusíads in 1578.

>Why was independence a mistake?
There was no actual benefit to it, I think we just asked for it because it was trendy at the time

nothing really changed
>Still have constitutional monarchy
>still use mostly British systems
>Hell, we only stopped using Cambridge A-level exams like 2 years ago
>All Islands still under British rule function autonomously
>uni costs 4X more
That last one is purely for me

>Is there any going back?
Nope, unless something fucked up happened like in Montserrat

>What are St. Vincent's politics like today?
Mostly the same as everywhere
>Two massive parties shit flinging everywhere

Please give us Turks and Caicos also Canada doesn't deserve it, Geographically they are apart of us.

Maybe if you are good.

Why couldn't you return if there's no point to independence?

They don't want to be associated with you

You can be with them...

They still are in the CPLP, though.

But they do drive on the correct side of the road, unlike us. We've gotten cucked for being continental.

>Maine

>Why couldn't you return if there's no point to independence?
Most people here would see it as "Going back to Massa"
so that sentiment immediately stops any hope of that.

If you got Overseas Territories status, you'd have as much autonomy as the Falklands, but extra protections and aid.

whats this

Comunidade dos Países de Língua Portuguesa/Community of Portuguese Language Countries

Former colonies/countries with significant Portuguese population and/or influence.

Don't know why Turkey or Australia are there, though.

>we were almost apart of Canada
I did not know this
We are good and next year our Gdp should be higher than ever

Maybe then. What are attitudes towards the British like over there?

commonwealth of pennsylvania reporting in

Not even that would appease them

Then again I don't see why the english would want these islands back

Nor me, besides status. Tourism income is all that I can think of.

an irrelevant thread for an irrelevant body

Irrelevant for not much longer, dear Bogan.

England became even less relevant to Australia after brexit. Close ties with you literally serves no benefit

theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/03/tony-abbott-says-australia-should-strike-shotgun-trade-deal-with-post-brexit-uk

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/why-australia-will-do-anything-to-secure-a-trade-deal-with-brita/

>Tony Abbott
A pom that has no power whatsoever anymore and got replaced with a republican
>telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/why-australia-will-do-anything-to-secure-a-trade-deal-with-brita/
purely sentimental bullshit without a scrape of economic or political grounding to support the argument

express.co.uk/news/uk/744863/Australian-High-Commissioner-free-trade-prosperous-Brexit

There's obviously support for it.

hello lads

and that will be the extent of it if anything
this CANZUK meme is never going to happen

Australia hasn't given a fuck about England since the second world war since it's no longer a nation that is strong enough to safeguard Australian interests.

The Australian High Commissioner is purely a ceremonial role given to retirees too. They don't do anything and no one listens to them.

How are things for you?

There will be a trade deal and stronger ties. I'm in favour of CANZUK as a group of countries closely linked, 100%.

>le cringed xD

Fuck off back to YouTube and or Reddit

>What are attitudes towards the British like over there?
I guess positive, topic never really comes up though.

this
cringe is the worst normie meme since "dab"

you may be but the Australian government will NOT.

I don't care what kind of restoration of the commonwealth meme was fed to you before brexit, but the sentiment isn't shared by the Australian government or people. Chances are the country will be a republic within 20 years too.

>Chances are the country will be a republic within 20 years too.

wtf Australia get your shit together

These organizations are always complete memes.

support for the monarchy here has been nosediving for the last decade, it's almost at 30% and will continue to drop as the Ten Pound Poms die off

UK is extremely important to Australia, the majority of our skilled people imports are from the UK

> UK is extremely important to Australia
"no"
Migration will continue regardless of the strength of political ties. It didn't change when Australia moved away from England towards America and it won't change because Australia won't enter into an autistic attempt to revive the British Empire.

By your logic, Italy, Greece and Lebanon are also "extremely important" to Australia. Chinese and Indian migrants also outweigh English migrants these days.

In what dreamland is India a commonwealth country?

the one where India was part of the British Empire for almost a century

Like you did with the blacks for almost 100 fucking years after independence lmao

>american education

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

you may be confusing it with the commonwealth realms