HOW THE FUCK DO I PRONOUNCE THE SOUND /æ/ YOU ANGLO FUCKERS REEEEEEEEEEEEE

HOW THE FUCK DO I PRONOUNCE THE SOUND /æ/ YOU ANGLO FUCKERS REEEEEEEEEEEEE

go back to the eight, dummy

Just pronounce it like the first letter of Ethiopia.

ÄÄÄ

I always thought it was pronounced "ayy"

>àâéèêëîïôùûüœ
>Anglos will never have the joy of diacritics

lol no idea old english is weird man, we wuz shakespeares lmao

>having different varieties of vowels
holy crap I'd kil myself if I had to study this

just elongate the a sound

Wouldn't that be the /ɑ:/ sound like in car or bark?

that is the thing, french haven't got that variety of vowels, it's mostly a e s t h e t i c

I've figuratively never seen this.

And if I have seen it, I probably just pronounced it as "a".

a: kinda has a lower tonation than ae, so just lower your lower jaw to make that lower tone

Merci, mon cher ami mulâtre du Brésil.

It's äää.

Pronounced like the a in back

It's the "a" in "cat" and "bat." It's called a "short a" in the US. You've probably seen the American symbol for it

As in lmao?

i was only trying to help him :(

STEP 1: Say the "a" in Spanish first, just to be aware of what your mouth is doing.

STEP 2: Now, open your mouth, a lot and say the same "a."

STEP 3: Lift the back part of your tongue to the TOP (more important) and the front part to below your teeth (not as important) and say the "a" again. You should now be making the "a" sound.

Still can't make it? Just say the "e" from "bed" with your mouth more open. When you're speaking quickly, most people won't notice.

Lol, sorry, I was being a pedant. Carry on :)

I forgot a step. There's a fourth step where you widen your tongue and try to lift up your hard palate at the same time. That should force you into making the sound.

You must be a good kisser.

lol its alright.. you can take over cause the best explanation i could think of was lower your jaw to make sound longer?

They don't feel it after the roofies kick in, anyway.

Yes, I am :) But I have a boyfriend already, sorry.

You can't blame me for trying

Pretty helpful explanation, I'm having a phonemes exam next month where I'll have to explain these sounds using my own words, your tips will help me a lot

Thank you amerifriends

No problem. I'd also suggest practicing minimal pairs as a way to brush up on the vowels. Good luck on your exam!

See it in Old English spellings, names are an easy example.

Ælfred
Æthelstan
Æthelred

just say 'aesthetic', there you did it

It depends on which language the word with /ae/ comes from.

>tfw a girl is nice to you and you fall instantly in love
tha-thanks sweetie *brushes* pls come here, be my gf and help me with this shitty subject
I'm gonna do my best for passing and you, I love you

I need help. My browser will always transform the lowercase a and the e into æ. Why are they doing this? Does anyone know? Is it related into the pronounciation?

your question makes no sense

maybe your browser is using a fucked up font

these dudes can help you:

> a
> â
> an
> é
> è
> e
> en
> eu
> i
> in
> o
> ô
> oe
> ou
> u
> ui
> on
> un
French is not for the weak.

The ones with a circumflex aren't pronounced any differently. It's written as an orthographic convention to show that an earlier form of the word had a following letter (often S) which is now left out. "hôpital", for example, was once "hospital".

Oh, and "château" for "castle" makes a lot more sense when you realize that the  comes from an older spelling, "chasteau".

Aw-teck-er

like ae

Fuck French for dropping letters and randomly silencing every other.
At some point French will degenerate to consisting only of öö sounds, separated by tone, which they'll eventually not even bother with.

Feels good man
aáeéiíoóöőuúüű
>Anglos don't have letters like ny, gy, ty, sz, zs, dzs