Which country speaks polite English?

What English is the most polite English in the first place?

Please forget to disrespect Japanese English for now and tell me about English.

In my intuition, I think it is royal English

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ykTYLgr8PM&feature=youtu.be&t=44s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>royal English
You mean French ?

No, that's regular english.

By the way, this thread's English is mostly google's English

>being non-anglo unironically

Jamaican english is the most refined form of english

was this guy cucked? the kid has very dark eyes

>being a hobbit unironically

rare

what did he mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=9ykTYLgr8PM&feature=youtu.be&t=44s

This probably will be more English than most Japanese heard

RP.

I guess it's English in the UK
If that is the case, I'm as impressed as you are

rare flag you autist

politeness isn't a syntactical aspect of english like in japanese
>honorable membah please

it kinda is

Not him, but Japanese literally has different verb forms for different levels of politeness. Until you've studied Japanese, you can't understand how fucking different it is than European languages when it comes to this stuff.

It doesn't really matter. Politeness in English is all about vocabulary choice (some words are more polite than equivalent synonyms), forms of address, and intended meaning. RP isn't necessarily polite, and using it certain circumstances can make you come off as a jackass. Politeness also varies depending on where you go in the English speaking world. Where I'm from, for example, it's polite to address people as "sir" or "ma'am" but it's considered awkward elsewhere in the English-speaking world.

Basically, there's no magical way you can make an English sentence polite. You have to adjust semantically to what your listeners expect as politeness in order to be perceived as polite.

I don't know that,Thanks.

I'll try baby steps toward "English"......

>European languages
No
Maybe Indo-European

Start with using 'please' when you ask for something (even something you're paying for) and saying 'thank you' when you receive it (again even if you're paying for it).

There, you've got 80% of English politeness down.

OK,thank you please~.

There is a manner that I know the only
When came my order steak, I say "well-done" in any case :)

Having your steak well done is the worst insult you can give a restaurant in English speaking countries. You're supposed to have it medium or rare.

Blue is the best way to eat a steak and anyone who says otherwise is an uncultured swine.

Steaks aren't blue. They are red.

80% is a bit of a stretch.
You can inject more polite words too. Say "you're welcome" when you do something for someone after they say "thanks" or "thank you". You acknowledge their appreciation/politeness.

But really the main part of being polite in English is your perceived intent and respect of someone. Which comes through how strong your vocabulary is and in your tone of voice. By how strong I mean you make words into more neutral or respectful versions of themselves. Less blunt and direct. Making your wording more elongated helps in that, too.

Don't say "can I" or "I will" say "May I" but do it in a very neutral and/or respectful way. Don't direct the person you're talking to or dominate the conversation. Put them above you in a way, to give them respect, put them in a sort of, pretend more powerful position than you in terms of the conversation and what it relates too.

Examples of asking for directions:
Do you know where is? / Could you tell me where is? / Tell me where is?

More polite versions:
Excuse me sir/miss/ma'am/mr, could you please direct me to ? / Excuse me, do you know where is? / Excuse me, would you happen to know where is? / Pardon me, would you mind directing me to ?

Note how less direct and demanding the more polite versions are. They're more neutral or make it seem like the person being asked is better or more powerful than the one asking.

In regards to: "sir/miss/ma'am/mr" (in different places it will be more polite to leave these out, it can be hard to use the right one too, so sometimes it's better to not use any). In Australian schools if you're not using the name of a teacher you would say "sir" for male and "miss" for female. If you use name then you say mr/ms/mrs .

You is the polite form.

>You're supposed to have it medium or rare.

Next thing you will tell us, that you cannot put ketchup on the steak. What utter rubbish

oh...sorry... (...i seem to have to study jokes)

>polite english
>politenglish
>politlish
>polish

Nope, a good steak should be served rare or medium rare with grilled onions as an optional garnish and preferably no sauce. If sauces are required, you should use a light coating of butter or small amounts of steak sauce.

I like mine well done and tender with herb butter. Is that so wrong to ask in anglosphere?

It's not wrong since we pride ourself on choices, but you'll be looked at as weird for wasting a good steak.

>Polite english

ya fookin w0t m8

Nah'in yo nigga

Depends of the part, if it's EntrecĂ´te I'll eat it raw from a living animal and sprinkle some pepper and salt on it.

kek

Don't listen to this guy lmao you can eat steak however you want. Literally no one cares.