Why are Americans so bad at building decent public transportation?

Why are Americans so bad at building decent public transportation?

Here are some of the FALLACIES they use to ''counter'' this

>b-but the country is too big!

Not an argument. Even fucking Russia has an express to SIBERIA. Hell, China - even though is a gigantic shithole - has a MUCH BETTER and more modern/reliable and clean subway system across all major cities. (pic fucking related)

>b-but we're not Europoors, we're rich and can buy cars lel !

Many Europeans are much better off than the average american and they still build decent public transportation (see cities like Munich, Zurich, Geneva, Stockholm, Amsterdam etc) I don't know why Amerilards are so proud to be stuck in traffic.

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/
youtube.com/watch?v=S0L0Vb-FcOU
citylab.com/cityfixer/2015/02/americas-infrastructure-crisis-is-really-a-maintenance-crisis/385452/
usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/28/roads-bridges-decaying/2594499/
washingtonpost.com/local/study-2-trillion-needed-for-us-infrastructure/2011/05/16/AFyppB5G_story.html
wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/
citylab.com/commute/2015/11/californias-dot-admits-that-more-roads-mean-more-traffic/415245/
berlinjournal.biz/deutsche-infrastruktur-verfaellt/
welt.de/politik/interaktiv/bruecken/deutschlands-bruecken-wettlauf-gegen-den-verfall.html
welt.de/wirtschaft/article116088153/Das-unfassbare-deutsche-Infrastruktur-Desaster.html
spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/deutsche-infrastruktur-braucht-laut-iw-120-milliarden-euro-a-953915.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>subways are so depressing that chinks have to install glass barriers to prevent people from committing sudoku en masse
the answer is staring at you right in the face

Even North Korea have a nice subway

k

But still, subway is super convenience and reduce traffic

>paying the cost of another house plus gas and other expenses to move around when you could just play less than a dollar per day and arrive quickier to your destination without being worried about driving.
Good goys

Everyone drives a car.

>cost of another house
jesus, mexicans must try so hard to be poor

You're forced to drive a car if you want to be independent and productive in the US even when you live in a city, NYC and SF excluded.

But if we built decent public transportation than it would reduce our oil dependency. The corporations wouldn't stand for it.

>paying the cost of another house
Do you think we all drive lambos?

this, most cars cost like 20-80k for the normal person.

Houses are no where near that cheap

I know this is a difficult concept for you poorfags to realize but maybe there is a significant amount of the American population that doesn't want to sit in a crowded smelly peasant train shared with homeless people and drug addicts. Ever consider that? Maybe people enjoy the luxury of being able to buy big ass cars and sit in them on the wide open road. I would rather sit in traffic in my comfortable car any day of the week than ride the bus or the train

Still is paying too much for something that is only going to drain more your wallet.

do yanks buy new cars? everyone i know buys 7/8k second hand cars

Yanks finance cars they can't even afford.

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/

Don't forget the mentally ill guy that masturbated in the corner and the occasional negress that rides buck naked.

used cars hold their value way more there yeah
feels good having probably the best 2nd hand car market in the western world

do they really have a lot of traffic though?
what about those massive highways and intersections? arent they helping?

>crowded smelly peasant train shared with homeless people and drug addicts
Why do you let homeless people into your metro? We have guards on every entrance which keep them away and if a hobo does manage to get into metro you just press a button on the wall to call the police.

Funny you mention that because not even in Brazil there are that many homeless/mentally ill people like in the USA.

I only saw this in NYC Subway system, which is dirty as fuck and has lots of niggers.

In no European city have I ever felt bad in public transportation.

Also, enjoy rush hour sitting in your car wasting gas and time which could be better spent doing something else.

Not public transportation's fault that your broken society fosters the development of poverty and mental illnesses.

Also enjoy your
- ugly ass highways cutting through cities and tearing communities apart
- road network so gigantic that it's become impossible for you to maintain properly
- immense amount of time and money wasted on driving EVERY DAY because of the suburbia meme and spread out city planning
- city planning contributing to segregation and inequality and therefore social conflict and violence

>We have guards on every entrance which keep them away

This.

>In no European city have I ever felt bad in public transportation.
it's because it's so expensive to ride it here.

The broken windows concept. It's full of hobos and junkies because you keep the trains in bad condition.

See. i did not know that. I thought it was commonplace for these degenerates to be on public transportation. In USA, they are littered with it and it's fucking annoying.

i tried to take the train once.

i get on. things were going nice.

some homeless guy gets on, sits behind me, and then immediately starts coughing. he also smells like fucking shit. now some baby further down the row starts crying.

and thats the last time i ever used public transportation

God forbid having to live in a society where you occasionally hear babies crying.

We have a train that goes from Moscow to China
youtube.com/watch?v=S0L0Vb-FcOU

That's babecist.

>Why are Americans so bad at building decent public transportation?

American Oil and Car manufacturers conspired against public transportation so that amerigoys would be forced to buy and use their products

Try public transportation in Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Etc.

You'll be amazed.

Commies knew how to build subways.

I didn't think it was that expensive and I'm from Hueland, but then again I was in Central Europe mostly and I had discounts because I was there through a student visa.

Can't talk about the UK as I've never been there.

going to and back from work costs me over 7 quid

Holy shit. It's 0.8$ here and you can spend literary the whole day riding trains if you want + free transfer to the overground monorail with 90 minutes cooldown timer which means you can go read a newspaper, drink a cup of coffee in a cafe, ride the monorail and get back underground for free.

public transportation was sabotaged by the auto industry and big business, years of that fucked things up
jealous of euros and other countries that don't have cities developed around cars or car culture

It's cheaper if you buy a season ticket.

that's amazing, thanks for sharing

>public transportation was sabotaged by the auto industry and big business, years of that fucked things up

seems like a more reasonable response than the ones I usually get from Americans.

I wonder why this happened in your country though.

in Germany I'd usually spend about 45 bucks for a monthly ticket that would let me take any tram/U bahn/bus any time of the day.

Do you want the non-meme answer?
It's because of the level of autonomy we give to our states.
It's just one of the negatives we accept as part of our political system.

A dictator can plan and build a subway system across the nation without much trouble.

In the US if you wanted to build a railway across the nation, you have to get it first approved through congress, then approved by every state it runs through, then approved by every local government the tracks will actually be built through. If any member of that process does not want the railroad, you are not getting a railroad because states rights.

Still, i'm willing to accept shitty public transit as the price of Freedom from a central authority.

The private sector has recently been doing a pretty good job of building public transit. Not amazing but not awful.

Subways don't go across nations. NYC has a great subway entirely within its city limits. Nationwide rails in the US are a meme anyway, your rail network is better for cargo and your air network is good enough. What you need to improve is your planning within metro areas, because that's where most people stay for 320 days a year.

I can understand that, even though I don't agree much with it.

>It's full of hobos and junkies because you keep the trains in bad condition.
No, its full of hobos and junkies because it's the only safe, warm place most of them can go.
They in turn make the train dirty and in bad condition.

Ok, but why won't the cities plan their OWN rail network then?

They don't need to be linked to other states/cities.

Like, a city like Seattle has enough power/money to build an extensive and efficient rail network, not the shitty one it currently has

>According to the 2007 American Community Survey, 18.6% of Seattle residents used one of the three public transit systems that serve the city
>The main mode of transportation, however, relies on Seattle's streets

>No, its full of hobos and junkies because it's the only safe, warm place most of them can go.

So you're saying your country does not have Homeless Care houses?

Even WE have that (of course they are rundown and shitty but still)

Also, many Americans claim that you can only be a homeless person in the USA if you WISH so because you have many alternatives to counter that (government handouts etc).

>Ok, but why won't the cities plan their OWN rail network then?

They are. Miami built a whole new line just last year.

Thing is, only a couple of big cities can afford a mass transit project.

user, poor people deserve to die and not leech off productive peoples money.

>only a couple of big cities can afford a mass transit project.

you can't possibly mean that, coming from the world's largest economy...

If fucking China can do it the USA should be able to do so too.

That's a different point though (not saying I disagree or agree, but it's completely unrelated to the topic at hand)

>Hell, China - even though is a gigantic shithole - has a MUCH BETTER and more modern/reliable and clean subway system across all major cities. (pic fucking related)

Confirmed for never having to travel through China, nor Russia.

We hold all public transit to a certain standard before it can be approved. It's the same in Australia and Canada and also why they have a similar issue

I was addressing OP's
>>b-but the country is too big!

> NYC has a great subway entirely within its city limits.
See, nobody in NYC actually likes riding the subway because of the people. Nobody anywhere in the US want's NYC's subway for the same reason.

We don't help our mentally ill because "muh discrimination" and they have nowhere to go.

The only places they have to go are public institutions because they are open to the public, and unable to kick anyone out. Parks, Librarys, Buses and the NYC subway.

As a result it's not a fun experience to use said institutions because of all the crazy/homeless people.

As a result no one want's to fund or build more of those institutions.

I think you're underestimating how much it costs to maintain a railway system without aid from the federal government. There's very few examples of passenger rail actually being profitable and self sustaining without government assistance.

>We hold all public transit to a certain standard before it can be approved.
I can't see why you haven't got a public transit yet.

>countries that don't have cities developed around cars
Such countries don't exist in Europe. The Vatican being a possible exception. Germany was rebuilt entirely around the car after the major cities were levelled in WWII.
And in other countries the major cities have all had to adapt to cars... with varying amounts of success. You're better off because you were able to plan for cars more or less from the beginning. You won't be able to escape rush hour traffic, no matter where you go.
I live in the center of Oslo, and despite the government fucking me more and more with fees and taxes and more difficult and expensive parking, they haven't made me any less reliant on having a car.

A junkie literally reached into his underpants and pulled out a brown mass, wrapped in saran wrap, while sitting next to me on the bus... He smelled like shit, too.

>So you're saying your country does not have Homeless Care houses?
Yes they do but homeless don't like them because other homeless will rob them while they are staying there. During very cold winter days the police have to round up the hobos and force them into shelters because they would rather freeze to death than have to stay at a shelter

see
>Also, many Americans claim that you can only be a homeless person in the USA if you WISH
It's true, most states have free housing projects but you have to pass regular drug tests.
Same goes for homeless houses.

Most of the homeless are mentally ill or addicted to drugs.
That's why if you see a homeless person, you can be pretty sure they are mentally ill or a druggy.

I've ridden the NYC subway over the course of a week in the past and it's been fine. I can't recall major disturbances. Only a few buskers and a hint of piss smell in some stairways.

Why not work in Norway and live in Sweden?
Earn more, spend less - win win situation.

yeah it's good. but given a choice, most locals would rather drive than take public transport. it's much more comfortable and convenient. since Americans can readily buy cars and cheaply, there is no incentive to really build up public transport for the people.

damn you to hell, you gottverdammt leaf, subway is the best

>Even fucking Russia has an express to SIBERIA.

it's a single railway that takes days to fully traverse

>China - even though is a gigantic shithole - has a MUCH BETTER and more modern/reliable and clean subway system across all major cities

it's a dictatorship of 1 billion people which requires efficiency throughout the entire country due to the fact that city-wide or prefecture-wide business is not as prevalent as state-wide economy in the us

>Many Europeans are much better off than the average american and they still build decent public transportation

the average american lives in a house and has two cars per household, and those without cars are sated by city-wide transportation because they have no reason to have to move across the country at a whim. if they needed to, they'd just take a plane or drive.

stop this "le hate america for shitty non-problems" meme

>You're better off because you were able to plan for cars more or less from the beginning.
That's debatable. The car centric American planning and subsequent neglect of maintenance has left them with an almost impossible mountain of backed up renovations, especially with how allergic they've become to taxes.

citylab.com/cityfixer/2015/02/americas-infrastructure-crisis-is-really-a-maintenance-crisis/385452/

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/28/roads-bridges-decaying/2594499/

washingtonpost.com/local/study-2-trillion-needed-for-us-infrastructure/2011/05/16/AFyppB5G_story.html

Their communities dissolve due to the driving distances, so does solidarity. And whenever they add lanes the traffic just increases until the roads are clogged again.

wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

citylab.com/commute/2015/11/californias-dot-admits-that-more-roads-mean-more-traffic/415245/

Just leave us to fall apart user, your not going to convince Americans to give up their cars. Let Rome fall for it's arrogance.

>if they needed to, they'd just take a plane
Isn't it expensive? Especially at medium distances?

americans who need to travel medium-long distances tend to be better off and thus can afford it.
failing that, driving or taking busses are cheaper options.

>Isn't it expensive? Especially at medium distances?
In the US its not. it actually costs more the travel by train then plane. Although its going to be a shitty flight with you crammed in with as many people as the plane can hold.

I can find stuff about your country, too...

berlinjournal.biz/deutsche-infrastruktur-verfaellt/

welt.de/politik/interaktiv/bruecken/deutschlands-bruecken-wettlauf-gegen-den-verfall.html

welt.de/wirtschaft/article116088153/Das-unfassbare-deutsche-Infrastruktur-Desaster.html

spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/deutsche-infrastruktur-braucht-laut-iw-120-milliarden-euro-a-953915.html

>americans who need to travel medium-long distances
But what if you just want to go somewhere for a weekend? Flights are kinda expensive for it and buses need a lot of time.

Cars are cheap here, so public transportation isn't as big a priority.

Step aside. No one is as incompetent at public transportation as us leafs.

>>b-but we're not Europoors, we're rich and can buy cars lel !

Some people enjoy driving, you might have noticed an entire board for cars on Sup Forums.

>me just walking to the train station-.jpg

I know, repeating American mistakes is symptomatic for moronic vassals like us.

Even then it's $196,000 per km or $1,581.625 per capita in Germany and $307,000 per km or $6,250 per capita in the US, so we're still not nearly as bad off as the Americans.

>it actually costs more the travel by train then plane
That's because your train infrastructure isn't good. For example, I can take a train from Munich to Salzburg for about 20 euro.

It's also the board that hopelessly defends absolutely moronic car based planning as the ultimate solution to all transport because they're unwilling to imagine that some people don't like to drive or to realize the immense costs and strains on society associated with it.

I like cars, but even I realize their flaws on the mass scale and wouldn't mind them becoming a more recreational thing.

I've always wondered what it's like to live in a country with a proper train network.
How do the trains factor in to your lives? Are train stations sort of like airports, where you can see business people, ready to go to their meetings in different cities?
Do people who are ready to leave the country for their vacation go to the train station with all of their baggage?
In Oslo, trains are pretty much only for commuting to the suburbs. And there are trains to Bergen and Trondheim, but they don't see a lot of use because taking the plane is the same price and way faster. So Oslo-Trondheim and Oslo-Bergen are two of the busiest passenger air routes in Europe, but people rarely use the trains.

Yes

Unitedstatesians do have good public transport in at least some of their metropolitan areas and regions and if current projects get completed they'll have some of the most advanced (and most new and modern) mass and commuter transit systems in the world.
If you want a country to hang shit on for its substandard public transport, you're looking at it.

This is how square at a railway station looks like at a workday.

It's especially funny when they complain about how all cars today are boring, bloated crossovers when that is due to most car buyers not actually caring about driving as a recreational activity. The market is centered around people who see it as a necessary evil, and that would change when people who don't want to deal with cars don't have to.

t. fellow enthusiast

Why do you say that?

Exactly. I'm actually thinking about starting to cycle to work because it's only 2.2 miles each way, and it would allow me to buy a less rational, more passionate car for my one garage spot.

>That's because your train infrastructure isn't good.
We know. But it's a price we pay for other benefits.

Reminds me of pic attached

And this is a train.

Moscow has really comfy and classy subway stations.

Not quite. Our freight rail is quite extensive and good, but our passenger rail is anemic outside of the Northeast corridor.

I blame the individual states and cities for being anal about approving any sort of public transit because "much taxes, much poor people". The Federal government has had plans for years to modernize Americas railway system, but the red states block it everytime because they won't be the ones directly benefiting from it.

Yeah we do.

The NEC is the only thing that makes sense from an economic perspective. For transcontinental passanger transport, airplanes are a lot cheaper. For freight the trains actually make some sense.

True, but then said States wonder why no one wants to live there and why people are moving to the states that actually do have public transport.

What benefits

Holy Moses that's gorgeous

Nearest train station is over 4 hours drive from me, and in a different state.
If they stopped by my house I would use them.

Would you move closer if they built a station in your town? Or does everyone expect to get a train station built right in front of their house (but being all NIMBY about the noise)?

can't really explain our entire government system in a post. See States and local governments are free to govern themselves as they see fit as long as they don't violate federal law. As a result we have a nation that is able to cooperate and co-exist without mass regulation like the EU has.
If a state has a problem, they make a law to deal with it and it only effects that one state. As a result, building mass infrastructure projects across states requires the cooperation of those states and local governments, and if they are opposed you can't just say to bad and build it anyway.

It's just the price of freedom.

You think European states don't manage their own rail networks? It's just that we think cooperation leads to productiveness. What's the fucking point of blocking railroads if it stunts your state economy?

lmao i paid 1500 cad for my car and it's lasted me 5 years so far, all ive done is brought it to jiffylube every 5km/6mo

I live in a rural area, not enough people to make any sense for trains, but if we had them going from every small city to another like you do, I would use them often.
I have freight trains going by near me, the noise doesn't bother me.

Why is NY Metro so fucking dirty and shit tho?

I mean for a city like NY it should be better desu.

honda or toyota?