I've been watching The Wire and been absolutely loving it, until this week when I hit season 5...

I've been watching The Wire and been absolutely loving it, until this week when I hit season 5. I just watched episode 5, and I'm fucking done. This shit is beyond stupid. So please just spoil me and sum up what happens, because I'm through watching it.

Marlo becomes new Cedric because he is tired with being evil and enriches Ronda but Ronda is a strong woman and she gives birth to Bubbles' baby and Marlo will take care of his wife's son and Carcetti starts a movement for rights of LGBT citizens.

There was a short Marlo thread last night asking what his fucking problem was. That has to have been you, since episode 4 is where he shoots Prop Joe.

Marlo learns karate and goes through the hood with a squad of ninjas and disarms all the niggas and kills them all with his kung fu magic, Bunk has enough of his shit and learns karate from his sensei RZA, the two have a battle on top of the smouldering ruins of hamsterdam until they connect through the fires of battle and realize they were made to be with each other, the sun sets on them as they hold hands and the screen pans to Mcnulty who utters one last line "What the fuck did I do?"

OP what exactly is the problem? Let's sort this out

you are incapable of navigating to wikipedia?

The fake serial killer thing is bullshit, Lester is pulling a Herc with his blatantly illegal wiretap, and Marlo is simply a boring character.

McNulty and his wife get back together. Bunk starts dieting. Omar buys generic cheerios. Prezbo gets caught diddling kids. Carcetti quits to join the CIA. Kima begins >his ftm transition. Marlo gets out of the game by winning a game show. Poot becomes the next Clay Davis. Bubbles dies

Ziggy goes to Iraq

Bunk becomes a trombone player for a New Orleans Marching Band

>Carcetti quits to join the CIA
In all the years of baneposting, I never learned CIA was in The Wire. When I first saw his name pop up in the credits, I instinctually assumed the power stance.

Everything comes full circle because of poor escape-door writing; Dookie is the new Bubbles, Michael is the new Omar etc etc
It's almost an insult to be honest.
>maybe these characters have their own destinies and things like Hamsterdam changed something on even a tiny level
>nope feggit, everyone is everyone else because THE SYSTEM, MAAAAAAAAAAAAN
They really pissed season five up a fucking rope

I used to think this too.

After Uni I moved to chicago and befriended a native chicagoer from work. One night we figured out both of us had watched the wire, and nerded out a bit. Eventually I brought up how lame the ending was. After a night of excitedly discussing the wire, he was quiet for the first time. He then began to quitely explain that he explained that in highschool he did some volunteer work to buff up his CV.

He explained that from his perspective, the ending was the best and truest part of the show. No matter how many people you help, there will always be more fucked up kids and strung out junkies to fill there space. And even the people you help, come back fucked up as new the next week.

So I think that although it may seem simplistic, and it doesn't fit the narritive you (we) think it should, it's a truer, and realer ending.

Just finish watching, you sat through 4 seasons and aren't even curious how everyone turns out in the end?

Marlo is the original Driver

"Hey you Marlo?"
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"...yea.."

I get what you're saying, and it does fit the narrative of The Wire really; it's a never-ending cycle, or maybe it isn't never-ending but the show doesn't have answers, which is fine.
I was being a drunk dick, as usual. Sorry about that.
On one hand it feels like a satisfying book-end to the show, but weighted firmly in the other it feels lazy too, as if the characters aren't worth their own destinies which is a kick in the teeth considering the quality of the characters in the first place.
Hope that makes sense. I should sleep.

>I was being a drunk dick, as usual. Sorry about that.
It's ok bro, every bodies allowed to shitpost from time to time.

>as if the characters aren't worth their own destinies
But that's almost the beauty of the ending. The streets are cruel, and even these amazing characters with fleshed out histories, with vices, with families, with untold stories, they can all be squashed like a bug or replaced, in the blink of an eye. And that's what so sad about the street life, they are fighting against society and the law so hard, yet that is exaclty what they need to bring themselves up.

Anyways, I gotta go to bed too.

Season 5 is so deflated of interesting shit I can't remember anything.

There's an ending montage at the end of the last episode that is really fucking good though. Great send off for the series.

Season 5 is so fucking deep down the rabbit's hole and it's all true and it's so fucking real shit people refuse to believe it is as realistic as the earlier seasons.

OP, stick with it, because the finale is really really good

I don't think people hate season 5 for the fake serial killer plot. It's never been known to happen, but neither has hamsterdam.

They probably hate it because the newspaper is fucking boring compared to cops, drug dealers, and kids growing up in a fucked up system. Season 5 was just david simon bitching about his job and employers in television form.

>end of season 4 the major crime unit is back together with McNulty
>hyped to see them together again
>first episode of season 5 the major crime unit is disbanded because of budget

Good boy. Go watch "The Corner" now.

Underrated post

love it

Also, the newspaper plotline just wasn't as internally fucked up as everything else. You get the idea if it weren't for one of the bad higher ups it would be fine. That's not what the rest of the series was saying. It's just very underwritten and undercooked.