Stanley Kubrick

Why can no one top this man?

Finally, A Stanley Kubrick Thread on Sup Forums! It was a while ago. This board was full of capeshit and GOT threads.

As opposed to how cleanse of such filth it is now? With GOT thread #398523598^10 and a dozen Dawn of JUST threads daily?

Anyway, let us start by discussing one his most controversial works.

Anyone seen this?

Probably not. He got complete freedom to do what he wanted, barely anybody get's that these days.

A shoot being as long as Eyes Wide Shut is unfathomable today.

Yes, it was a little bit boring and too long.
But in someway, it was a decent movie.

I agree with the "too long" part. I wouldn't argue it was as much boring though.

I think you kinda' have to be in the right mindset for it.

He could easily have slashed 30 minutes off without fault. Pushing over two hours was a bit much for the concept.

Now hold on, there are plenty of indie directors who live and breathe to be like SK. And they're not tied down by Hollywood at all.

>Stanley Kubrick thread
>on Sup Forums
This board is exclusively capeshit and SJW-bait now.

I liked:
Dr. Strangelove
Clockwork Orange

Which is coincidentally all of the Kubrick work I've seen.

Ah you should try Full Metal Jacket, I know it's a bit of a normie movie form the weird and odd SK made, but it's genuinely a really good film.

>Why can no one top this man?
Because no-one has the time to do 300 takes of a man picking up a pen. Also 2001 and Barry Lyndon alleviate the symptoms of insomnia. He was truly a medical marvel.

Only hipsters pretend to like this cuck.

It's fun to rewatch movies like 2001 and imagine all the trouble it must have been to get all these shots juuust the way he wanted them. Give a crazy person free reigns and you'd be surprised what they can make.

That's because, despite the limited technology, every shot was kino.

>all this time spent getting things right
>one of the monkeys misses during the clubbing anyway

He didn't answer to anyone but himself.

He knew what he wanted and did it.

Look at The Shining; it was supposed to be horror movie but based Kubrick said fuck that and put a ton of symbolism about a bunch of different shit in there.

People keep saying it.

Kubrick's overrated but I have a sinking feeling he's high art compared to what most of this board is watching. Outside of Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut, his films don't do much for me. Granted, I've seen most of his films dozens of times.

>Wheat uses anagrams dubiously, as evidence to support his theories. For example, of the name Heywood R. Floyd, he writes "He suggests Helen – Helen of Troy. Wood suggests wooden horse – the Trojan Horse. And oy suggests Troy." Of the remaining letters, he suggests "Y is Spanish for and. R, F, and L, in turn, are in ReFLect." Finally, noting that D can stand for downfall, Wheat concludes that Floyd's name has a hidden meaning: "Helen and Wooden Horse Reflect Troy's Downfall".

Kubrick Ranking:

>Paths Of Glory - 9/10
>Lolita - 6/10
>Dr. Strangelove - 9/10
>2001: A Space Odissey - 10/10
>A Clockwork Orange - 10/10
>Barry Lyndon - 11/10
>The Shining - 9/10
>Full Metal Jacket - 9/10
>Eyes Wide Shut - 8/10

>the helicopter at the start of The Shining

What did he mean by this?

You can start one anytime.

Only film of his i watched is the shining, preety great. What other movie should i watch for something similar kubrick or not

one flew over the cuckoo's nest

objective kubrick rankings:

barry lyndon
eyes wide shut
the shining
paths of glory
dr. strangelove
a clockwork orange
full metal jacket
the killing
lolita
spartacus

>EWS that high
>ACO that low
You fell for the contrarian meme

No where near the same production scale though.

try paths of glory

has a funky style which makes it feel like it could be modern made, somehow

Well user, there was a time here on Sup Forums we discussed films, Kubrick, Scorsese, Hitchcock, theories, analyze.

Those were good and golden times on Sup Forums, we even discussed serious Star Wars and it was a decent thread.

What happend to Sup Forums?

Beautiful picture.

Would you please be joining me?

and no one ever watches any of their films

Bergman, Tarkovsky and Kurosawa did

The fact that so many books still name Stanley Kubrick as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" film Director ever only tells you how far cinema still is from becoming a serious art.
Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times.
Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe.

Film critics are still blinded by commercial success. Kubrick sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore he must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Film critics are often totally ignorant of the films of the past, they barely know the best sellers.

Hi

Would Stanley Kubrick be making movies for the MCU or DCEU if he was still alive today?

Fair enough
For me
>Paths Of Glory - 9/10
>Lolita - 8/10
>Dr. Strangelove - 10/10
>2001: A Space Odissey - 2001/10
>A Clockwork Orange - 9/10
>Barry Lyndon - 8/10
>The Shining - 8/10
>Full Metal Jacket - 9/10
>Eyes Wide Shut - 10/10

>Kubrick's Superman movie

From best to worst, in my opinion:
Eyes Wide Shut > 2001 A Space Odyssey > Barry Lyndon > Doctor Strangelove > Paths of Glory > The Killing > A Clockwork Orange > Full Metal Jacke > The Shining > Lolita > Spartacus > Fear and Desire

>baby's first 3 foreign cinema directors

>finally after all this time my eyes have become... wide shut.

Tell me what do you see in this film? Serious question. What gives it a 10 for you?

I watched it. It was good but it probably would have been better if he made it a few years later, after censorship was relaxed.

Reddit came. I blame Sup Forums and their GamerGate shit. Fuck trying to defend your hobbies.

People think anyone that likes it does so because of muh illuminati exposition, and while I personally find it spooky how he died before it was released and his cut was significantly altered against his wishes, the major theme of the movie is an analysis of the human conscious and love

Do we condition ourselves to love another person? Is love independent of your more primal urges to fuck every hot piece of ass you see? Is the shit you see your subconscious project in your dreams actually related to who you are as a person at all?

The movie is unironically really fucking good, it's shot really well and Cruise is based

I'm drunk right now so I can't really go in depth further than that but if you look up some analyses of the film you'll see that's there quite a lot of symbolism and subtext

>wut iz spurtykez?

What knock do people have against Strangelove to not put it top 3 or 10/10? It's funny as shit and has great performances

I guess it's not as abstract as his other films but that's because he was going for a straightforward political black comedy

This. It's a pretty in depth exploration of the paradoxes of sexuality and relationships.

I wouldn't call Spartakus a Kubrick movie.

R8

Rated.

>not a Kubrick

Why user?

Thanks bb

This might be a little off-topic, and I'm sorry about shitting up what a thread we rarely have on Sup Forums (that being, non-capeshit or GOT) but I recently re-watched 2001 after seeing the newest Star Trek.

It's really amazing seeing how Kubrick imagined us going forward with science and technology and then how the modern industry thinks we'll be going forward with technology.

In many way he was Kubrick had many good ideas. He entertained ideas like flat handheld screens we watched entertainment on. As well as a few others.

It kinda' makes me sad too. Stanley expected better of us than what we've become.

I just thought it was a fantastic love story. It's great to re-realise your attraction to each other now and again.

>hasnt seen his best work

Don't forget Arthur C. Clarke's contribution.

Eyes Wide Shut is pretty interesting, check it out.

Didn't Cruise go on record saying how much of an absolute nightmare it was to make this movie?

prime nicole kidmans ass is all the convincing i need

Well, that's Kubrick for you.
It was also the last time Cruise gave any fucks about his role too.

Also, too bad Kubrick haven't gotten to direct the A.I. after all. It would be out probably around now if he lived that long.

lowbitrate/10

I've found a nice balance. For most movies I set the minimum size to ~>7GB, but most of my movies are usually between 9GB and 11GB with a decent number being larger than that.

I have a pretty good amount of space (4TB), but I'm not hosting any 20+TB RAID server so I keep a nice balance between good quality and size. Can't be going around downloading every movie in 50GB or more raw rips.

Also at least it's not YIFY

>tfw the most seeded torrents are always fucking yify rips.

Fuck YIFY so god damned much.

he was actually well spoken about the process and respected stanley it seems he was actually upset when he died.

cruise told him he would do the film no matter how long it took he was a bro for the kino

Kubrick was born to direct AI.

And yeah Cruise said in interviews that the man was a nightmare to work with compared to other directors. Where others had leeway Stanley always knew exactly what he wanted and demanded nothing short of perfection from those he worked with.

I honestly don't ever think we'll see a director quite like him again.

>~>7GB, but most of my movies are usually between 9GB and 11GB

Agreed. Though I can go as high as 20+ if the movie is visually demanding.

>YIFY

YIFY is the AXXO of the blu-ray generation.

The keyword here is "was". Cruise is a mindless puppet now.

Nah, YIFY is great, and actually got better with time. Kind of funny because you see the tree- contrary to many YIFY and the like haters- but still miss the forest.

maybe because nobody deserves it like stanley did

>he doesnt have 28-37gb REMUX rips of his kino
>ready to play on his external and smart tv
if you dont buy your kino 20gb is the lowest you can go

Cruise is still based, his actual calling was just action films

this

Amen brother.

I do 20+ sometimes, but mostly I just can't tell the difference. Come at me qualityfags.

People actually skipping the Killing. Cmon senpai thats a top 3 heist movie and damn good noir

it's about the grain

Boring fucking director. He was interested in only photography and symbolism for most part.

Films where he tries something else are half assed.

2/10

But the greatests are Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock and Kurosawa. Scorsese, Coppola, Kubrick, Malick, Haneke are the follow-ups.

Neck it, familio.

>Kubrick's overrated

your mom is overrated

>Hitchcock
>anything but an overrated hack meme redditor

It's hard not to be overrated when there are plenty of people who hail him as a literal god.

If you remove retarded contrarians and retarded worshippers it about evens out.

No, it's:

BL
PoG
Dr. Strangelove
FMJ
EWS
The Shining
ACO
The Killing
Lolita
Killers Kiss
Spartacus
FaD

Because he didn't even direct half of it.

Read Vigilant Citizens interpretation of it. Honestly if it wasn't for that I'd have thought Eyes Wide Shut was stupid af. The whole "secret society" thing was kind of a tangent but probably the main reason why anyone suggests it

dat orgy

The movie is also based off of another film or story called "Dream Story(?)" I think. The entire film is a bit off and surreal - like a dream, so have that in mind as you watch.

As usual, great cinematography though.

If you want to rank the big guys, the greatest should be Fellini, Kubrick, Kurosawa and Bergman.
The follow ups would be Malick, Haneke, Scorsese, Herzog, Tarkovsky and maybe Coppola.
Hitchcock isn't even close.
Memes aside, Welles should also be considered, considering what he meant for modern cinema.

1/10

3/10

And the second one isn't only wrong on the pathetic underrating of Hitchcock.

Like what? I sort of regret putting Scorsese on there, and I'm sure there are others that could be on there.
I'm right about Hitchcock though. He's Nolan tier. Well, ok, not that bad. But he shouldn't be on such a list.

Don't forget Leone

Yeah, no.

What was his problem?

>Nolan tier

Memento and Interstellar were 10/10 films

Nolan is a fantastic director, though. Which is funny to say on Sup Forums because of years of indoctrination of memes and hateboners. But if you 'get out' of the retarded bubble of this board, that's not anything outlandish or crazy to affirm.
And Hitchcock is a top 10 director ever, easily, for anyone serious with cinema.

The book was so exquisite, it spoiled me for the movie.

>you will never get a Kubrick adaption of Watchmen

>tfw stan was planning a Napoleon epic-bio but it never happened

What a movie it could have been...

I read that spielberg may be adapting some of his Napoleon screen play for a HBO series.Wont be the same though

Too true. Maybe it won't be awful but it will never be Kubrick-tier kino.

>The best directors of history are manlets
This gibs me hope

How bad is it?