The experiment mixes elements of The Fury, Altered States, Fire Starter

The experiment mixes elements of The Fury, Altered States, Fire Starter.

The kids are a mix of E.T., the Goonies, Stand By Me.

The mystery mixes The Mist, Poltegeist, E.T., It.

The dreary small town/suburban angst is a mix of Stephen King and Steven Spielberg.

The score is much like John Carpenters work and Tangerine Dreams soundtracks.

That's all the references I can think of, any more?

Other urls found in this thread:

webmshare.com/play/nqMmL
imdb.com/name/nm3034501/?ref_=tt_cl_t7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Warhammer 40k

So derivative horseshit being overly shilled?
Wow, what a great selling point. If only they could forcefully inject sexual identity & transgenderisms into the 80's....

The whole child experiments/escaped psycho bit is taken straight from akira

Logo looks like its for a marvel movie :^)

Some of the monster stuff, the facility, etc reminded me of X-Files. Excellent series.

El's psychic space is reminiscent of Under the Skin

B-but muh 80s nostalgia!

>The experiment mixes elements of The Fury, Altered States, Fire Starter.
Lrn2read

Eerie, Indiana

Its from 80s Stephen King novels

oh also John Hughes, especially the school stuff, Steve's clique etc

The monster is a mishmash of It and the inter dimensional stuff from The Mist
The facility is like the base in The Mist, Fire Starter, the government program in The Fury

itt: people can't read

>If only they could forcefully inject sexual identity & transgenderisms into the 80's....
You need to get out more and give up the persecution complex

Reminded me of Fire Starter right off the bat. Prolly my favorite King novel. I remember a movie adaptation, but I have no recollection as to whether or not it was good.

Show was comfy as fuck. I loved it. Can't wait for more based Dustin, Hopper, and Steve.

I hope the next season isn't shit. Seemed like a one-off story with a conclusion, I was surprised when it got set up for a continuation.

>mfw I picked out Stephen King on the back of the novel the door guard was reading before they even said anything about the evil dog

And now I'm leaving before you gaylords spoil something I haven't seen yet.

>your qt MKULTRA waifu found out you've been talking to other girls
>she comes at you looking like this

What do?

Yeah, I agree. It's something that I'd have to take with a grain of salt considering that it would be perfect as a stand alone miniseries.

The ending doesn't really seem like a setup for a continuation, it can simply be read as saying "things don't end"

I thought that when Hopper got in the black sedan, they were taking him off to shoot him or imprison him because he'd seen too much. Like that was what he'd agreed to. I was extremely shocked that he was free at the end.

There's a poster of Carpenter's The Thing in the basement while they are talking about the creature.
The little girl in the very beginning acts a little bit like the kid in D.A.R.Y.L.
She also reminds about Carrie, I think there was even a direct reference but I forgot.
The scene where Eleven starts to listen to other people looks like Under The Skin

accept the inevitable neck snap or brain melt

He's apart of the whole government conspiracy now probably, and is trying to get El back.

Why would he talk to other girls?
Why would other girls talk to him?

They were reminding him of the agreement, "you got the kid back so you keep your mouth shut just like you said right"

the teenage love triangle has a strong Twin Peaks vibe

A poster or comparing something isn't the sort of references and allusions that we are talking about

More like general 80s teen movies really, which Twin Peaks was satirising
John Hughes films as someone else said

We're not talking about Mike. This is between you in Elevenfu.

>mfw discover that rpg games in the past were played live and not through a console

Wew

>Elevenfu
aaaaaand another tv show tainted by Sup Forumspedos

I thought the bit where Joyce and Hopper are in the Upside Down reminded me of Alien.

>those hazmat suits
>that egg
>that organic wall binding stuff
>tube creature down wills throat

POLTERGEIST, HALLOWEEN, JAWS, THE EVIL DEAD, THE THING.

NOVELS: LOTR, THE HOBBIT, HEART OF DARKNESS.

The title is universal. This can be the new Goosebumps with every season being about something else. New plot, new places, new characters but same time setting. First seasons story is closed so they can freely do the second one entirely different.

Where do you get Evil Dead?

yeah this shows like Alien + Akira + Super 8 + E.T

>lets make it an anthology
That worked so well with True Detective

The girl is Carrie/Elfen Lied

>It
I love this shit.

I am into 4th episode, but the whole
Portal thing reminds me of something I read in a Dean Koontz book, the one with the albino guy and a secret base. Anyone else got that?

>implying that must apply to every show

no but it worked really well with Fargo you cherry picking bastard

The Emerald City of Oz book.

This show was pure magic. The atmosphere is one of a kind. It is what I think of when I think of 'scary bedtime story', yet it's executed in a respectable (not childish, not insulting the intelligence of the viewer) manner.

And there's just this feel that everyone loved to do this project? You can usually tell when actors don't want to do it, or were phoning it in, but you can tell people were having blast while filming.

Probably the most lovable main cast too.

Fargo was a shit show, please.

Super 8 is another Spielberg homage, so referencing that would be dumb
And this doesn't, it goes straight to the source to Spielbergs 80s films
And its not Akira, its Firestarter and The Fury
Akira copied them

mike's dad looks like john hughes

Its The Mist, King short story written in 1980

No I read that. I am talking abot Koontz's book. There as an army base that experiments with paranormal dimensions and sends soldiers into it, and weird shit starts coming out

"still pretty?"

If she was my waifu, I wouldn't need to talk to other girls.

>watch it because Winona
>she's all sad, sick with stress and worry

i never asked for feels

You will never comfort hysteric Ryder

Akira came before both of those, also Elfen Lied is shit

The kids call Eleven "El" for short, sometimes they kinda say "Elv"; She's like the elves from lotr, she's gone to valinor, now it's up to them kids to find her or not, whatever

>akira came before both of those
>Carrie book published 1974
>Carrie film released 1976
>Akira manga published 1982
>Akira anime released 1988
>Akira came before both of those

And its not Carrie.
Its The Fury and Firestarter
Which also predates Akira
And the film is inspired by them, not Akira. I didn't see any cyberpunk did you?

webmshare.com/play/nqMmL

It's not pedo if you're Mike.

i don't know man i heard some bumpin synth arp music, i'm told thats what cyberpunk sounds like

You fucks told me this was some Stephen King kinda stuff. I'm 2 episodes in and so far there's been zero hilariously intense racism, homophobia, etc. Pretty god damn disappointed. It's one King's funnest tropes.

That's a John Carpenter/Tangerine Dream inspired score
AS WAS SAID IN THE ORIGINAL POST YOU MOUTHBREATHER

Highly appropriate for the era

I kind of resent all the people dismissing this as ironic 80s nostalgia. Yes, it's obviously built on 80s tropes, but they're played 100% straight, no winking "get it?" references or anything. If you like those 80s films theres no reason to dislike this

>The scene where Eleven starts to listen to other people looks like Under The Skin
This seemed like the most overt reference beyond the kids walking on the tracks and the title font.

>It's 'animefaggots think everything revolves around their medium' rerun

God you animefaggots are ignorant

>homophobia
The bullies in a typical act of over compensation call everything gay and queer
I'm surprised though that they never said anything to Lucas

The show is not ironic. Only autisitc people who post *cringe* would think so.

So all of Sup Forums then

They nicknamed him Midnight, which I thought funny

Midnight's kind of cool, but I'd rather have the bone popping trick

>no winking "get it?
This, the only time it can ever really feel that way was with Mr Clarke watching The Thing, but that feels more like a homage to what is probably one of the Duffer Brother's favorite movies.

Seems like a love letter to 80s and its horror films.

It was really beautiful thing t. bh

sorry i forgot you children that flocked here since '08 need emojis to comprehend the simplest of jokes

:^)

The monster was conjured by El's subconcious. It was her repressed masculinity, it lashed out at bull dykes and queers (barbara and will). And it liked to hunt animals (the deer, hunting was referenced as masculine by Johnathon).

El was more than likely born intersex/transgender as part of the complications with her birth. When she went into the sensory deprivation tank it wasn't some other being she contacted, it was another part of herself.

The ending was her coming to terms with her masculinity and embracing the monster as apart of herself.

This is one of the most clever LGBTIP+ pieces of media to date.

I think the 80s nostalgia comes from a desire for originality in film and television

Think about it, it was the last decade the studios produced a wide range of films, from serious dramas for adults to crime to thriller to mystery to to kids films that didnt talk down to kids to horror that wasnt PG-13, to yes also big action films

Since the 1990s there has been a narrowing of scope focusing more and more on the summer blockbuster

And this has reached its final nadir point over the last 10 years as now output is is almost exclusively the summer blockbuster comicbook/sequel/reboot
If your film isn't costing 150 million you can't get it made

kys

>itt: things I have made up

>Elfen Lied

What a fucking awful piece of shit.

>someone points out the correct source of the score
>and points out in the OP
>call them a child who can't comprehend things
>when you are the one who couldn't read the first post
>and are ignorant of the media being discussed

I wouldn't call it nostalgia.

>pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing that you could experience it again

There was really nothing like this in it.

You might feel NOSTALGIC during it, but the show didn't really come off as nostalgic to me.

>inb4 autistic

>Elfen
>El

JESUS CHRIST

The creature being a product of the ID is interesting.
Everything else you say is completely made up and has no citations within the source

She was great actor, where did she even come from? Never seen her in anything.

The three young kids were good too.

ending wasn't that good t b h

why did hopper send the baddies on the right path? he didn't need to do that.
why did he jump into the car? what kind of deal did he make with the baddies?
what about the eggos?
is Will a monster?
nancy is qt, poor jonathan. fuck steve.
is Eleven in the upside down?

>I think the 80s nostalgia comes from a desire for originality in film and television
This is a really interesting way of looking at things, though it mostly applies to popular escapist entertainment. Plenty of "for adult" movies and shows are still made but you need to look beyond your multiplex

I can dig it

>subjective interpretation
>citations

monster was heavily inspired by Carpenter and Del Toro apparently

>has no citations within the source

except all the ones i listed

Toothless kid best kid

You forgot that her name is literally 011

that's a big tip towards your interpretation

You have no sources. You have baseless accusations and claim it likes to hunt based on the biological necessity of needing to eat.

Elfen Lied

this is genetically a male right? She's XY right?

imdb.com/name/nm3034501/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

He cites what was seen in the fucking show you daft cunt.

The fuck you want, pub med fucking link?

What does the 011 signify? triple chromosones like intersex people have?

>you have no sources
except all the little bits of info in the show

Because its the most phallic number or something else?

>It's bad because it's mysterious

>health concerns
not sure bout that imdb

no it was ok but not as good as the other episodes.. that's how i felt. where did I say it was bad?

I love everything 80s that involves finding someone.
The police chief actually investigates.
Now every fucking show is some bullshit techwizardry, bullshit dna findings and hacking the dna from reflection.
Fuck technology, its never done right.

>That's all the references I can think of, any more?
NGE

>cites what was in the show
There is nothing to suggest Nancy was a lesbian or Will is gay. Its a value judgement of his own stereotypes.

He claims it likes to hunt. It ate the deer, that's a necessity for survival not enjoying hunting in and of itself.