Is Justin Lin the new franchise saver?

rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_beyond/

Other urls found in this thread:

rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective_/s01/
youtube.com/watch?v=4z0YkBnEYzc
youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g
youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mining equipment, why is it always mining equipment?

i was looking through his resume and saw he directed some of s1 of True Detective, but found this

what the fuck? are RT show scores always this wrong? i'm not even memething this show deserves at least a B or B+

saw it last night, it's preddy good

rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective_/s01/

Pretty high avg rating

I was glad that Krall didn't suddenly turn good when he saw his reflection and instead still tried to gut Kirk

Just saw Star Trek Beyond 3D in theaters July 22nd last night and it was hella fkin epic!!!

I got my tickets easily on Fandango™ for both me and my friend! Even managed to grab a Coca-cola® product before the show started!

yeah that would have been a bullshit twist

A perfect summer movie for the hole family!

>they defeat the aliens by playing "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys really loudly
How is this forgivable, flick apologists?

Sounds like a plan to me

>remove Abrams
>film quality skyrockets

who coulda guessed?

Get used to seeing this in every Beyond thread, I know I have.

What did she mean by this?

He directed some of season 2 not season 1, and he couldn't save it

It was trash. Even Into Darkness was better than this.
Why did Simon Pegg have to write Scotty into every single scene when there was no need?

I nearly walked out as soon as they started building up to it

They could've chosen a more thematically appropriate song honestly, but if you watch this movie as a flick it works wonderfully

Also the camera movements were fucked. It felt like I was watching Irreversible, especially when big bad was putting the weapon into the toxic goo

... I honestly can't tell. Is that even english?

She means Damon Lindelof singlehandedly ruined Prometheus and Khan and he didn't get to ruin this movie

Is she saying "hounding damon lindelof off twitter" was stupid? Or he deserved to be hounded off twitter because of how he can't fucking write? Or what?

I'm usually really good at this.

I feel like everyone forgets this song was in the first movie and it has thematic relevance.

This is the most series of remakes we have right now, and that's because they're thematically consistent.

Same reason Chris Hemsworth is going to be in the next movie. Half the point of these movies is Kirk trying to live up to a legacy he never earned

Will there ever be a star trek that's not just a pants on head retarded action flick again?

... sabotage was in nutrek'09?

>Will there ever be a star trek that's not just a pants on head retarded action flick again?
Nope, you can thank me for that mate.

Just as soon as people who aren't pants on head retarded start spending money on entertainment again.

The chinese market will put a stop to that

So does Kirk ever try to appeal to Krall's humanity by bonding over their shared enjoyment of the Beastie Boys?

You know, like "Hey Krall, did you know that we both enjoy the same music? I love classical music like Sabotage too, just like you! We're more alike than you realize, and maybe, instead of being enemies, we should try to be friends."

more like "star BLECCH: Be-YAWN"

The chinese market only seems to be able to save one in three movies from utter destitution.

>poetry==good
Is this post secretly a defense of Star Wars I, II and III?

I think its an appeal from the types of people who like seeing the same things over and over again, even if they didn't like it or hated it the first time.

Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 didn't have "authenticity" as a core theme, nor are they remakes, so it's not the same thing at all.

there isn't a single thing about that post that isn't extremely arguable.

>Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 didn't have "authenticity" as a core theme,
Neither do the new Star Trek flicks. They're as authentic as a knockoff bootleg.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying the characters Kirk and Spock are trying to grapple with it as characters in the story, and it's an aspect of the movie as a whole.

You reductive idiots interpret any idea that isn't a meme as an endorsement

that should be "treads" not "trades"

The only point of these new Trek movies is to see sweet action shots like warping into a debris field or nu-Khan firing a big gun from the hip..

Wouldn't the Beastie Boys be like, 300 years old by the timeline of nuTrek? Barely anyone listens to music that's more than 20-30 years old now.

>I've never heard of classical music

The Checklist says that we have to keep it relevant to the hip, cool teens of today by adding their favorite pop song.

Just got out. Jonestly it hit most notes perfectly. Just wish it was a bit slower really. I genuinely want the alium gril to appear again.

It was in the scene with Kirk as a kid stealing his adoptive dads car and almost driving off that fucking cliff.

>un-ironically enjoying it

You mean the Jennifer Lawrence alien? She really is just like us.

>tfw we're never getting intelligent and slow-burning sci-fi movies again

It was real trek again. Good lighthearted humour. Tackling real social ideas and coherant themes. If it could have been slower, a bit more cerebral itd have been better. But definitely up there in terms of trek movies. Lacked whales tho.

Just saw it. Movie deserves a 6 or 7.

It was entertaining. It had some good action scenes and good character moments. But it's definitely not as good as the first, and say what you will about Into Darkness but ripping off Wrath of Khan lent it some good ideas.

This movie's first half is really good and misleads you into thinking it'll be a more downplayed story wherein the crew are surviving in the woods being hunted by aggressive hostile aliens and have to go without all their fancy tech.
Then in the second half they suddenly just repair a conveniently placed starship and it's back into space for, and I'm not fucking kidding, a scene in which Kirk defeats an enemy fleet by blasting Sabotage by the Beastie Boys to jam their communications.
It had a lot of potential to pull a semi-Star-Trek-4 and be about a relatively mundane and low-key setting after a super grandiose series of movies but just goes back to being paint-by-numbers action by the end.
And again, say what you will about Into Darkness, but Khan was a good villain. The new villain is fucking awful. His motivation is basically thrown out in about ten seconds in the last 20 minutes of the movie and it's unbelievably bad.

I enjoyed it but fucking hell the movie doesn't deserve a 90%, cute alien waifu or no.

Khann was worse than trash in into darkness. You high son?

>Lacked whales tho
who do you think is lining up to see it?

Believe me. The new guy is worse. Far, far worse.

Chekov is dead and Sulu is gay!

It was cool, but it lacked the cerebral stuff and any real explanations..dude magic superweapon. And Krall turns human again...

When you think of First Contact and this it's like... The other star trek movies are better desu.

There was zero finesse in this. Just Fast and Furious in Space.

So you really can't stand Count Hingonit?

>dude magic superweapon

The superweapon was fucking shit too. What is so super about techno-termites that eat people?
How is this a better weapon than a nuke?
Or y'know, the fucking PLANET-DESTROYING RED GOO FROM THE FIRST MOVIE?

>humour
There was none. It was surreal watching them try to make jokes but they just fell flat every single time. This is coming from someone who thinks TOS is the best ST
>Tackling real social ideas and coherant themes
Again, there was none. Krall's motivation was the stupidest shit that they could have pulled out of their ass and it fell apart really quickly even though he spent most of the movie explaining it to others

To any user who saw it, is it worth watching in 3d and/or imax?

A third to half of the movie takes place with characters just walking around on a forest planet. So no.

Justin Lin is confirmed a great director and True Detective S2 was Pizzaman's fault

No. The CGI is atrocious
>when kirk is first riding the motorbike

Oh god. That shit looked like it was from the garbage licensed game based on the 09 movie. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it.

They literally call it classical music in the movie

It;s the best nuTrek movie by a mile, but still only a 7/10.

Visually impressive, but the villain is shit, and there is nothing intelligent about the movie.

I also hate all the bullshit they pull with the transporters in these reboots

>all the bullshit they pull with the transporters in these reboots

It's Trek tech. Don't think about it too hard.

I think Simon Pegg was a bad writer.. dude LASSIE lmao.

In the old star trek Kirk and Krall would have like a wager and a duel, then the rest of the crew would pull of some heist and take their ships or something..

Here they run off in a functioning ship that Krall left behind himself. It's just to convenient and lazy.

It had some cool moments still... the nebula.. enterprise getting destroyed/crashing, the ship emerging like an angry whale and disabling krall's ships.

Urban, Pine and Quinto were still good. Alien woman was surprisingly charismatic.

>"sorry Bones, we had to transport you one at a time because these transporters were designed for cargo"
>20 minutes later they're transporting 20 people at the same time

Missing the scene where Scotty tells Chekov to be careful because they aren't designed to transport people

The guy who invented transwarp beaming can surely upgrade existing transporters in a few hours.

I was hoping the movie would take place entirely on the planet and spend most of the duration with all the characters separated and trying to find one another. That would've been interesting and different from the other movies.
But they just recycle the same "start with a space ship battle and end with Kirk and/or Spock in a fist fight with the main villain" shit again.

Jaylah didn't even get her fucking revenge in the end even though the trauma was her entire character, and I don't remember that Manus dude ever appearing again after they fight.

J.J Abrams is a hack and a cuck, but his Star Trek is by far the best still..

I watched Into Darkness today on TV, and holy fuck was that movie bad. So much forced narration. Also Quinto is an awful Spock, guy is never NOT emotional in any scene.

Unrelated, but if Star Wars wants to get off the ground, they need to let force users go full Kingsman instead of professional whiffleball players.

>guy is never NOT emotional in any scene

It's worse in this movie. Granted there's no scene where he screams "FUCK YOU" and punches Krall in the face, but he spends the entire movie crying about old Spock dying, crying about Uhura, and crying about wanting to save the other crew members while toting a gun the whole time.

He didn't direct any of Season 1, but he did direct some episodes of season 2.

He seemed much more subdued in this movie.

His constant pushing himself to nearly die of his wounds because he's obsessed with saving the others is what I think makes it worse. It was ridiculous. He and Kirk switch fucking roles to the point where Spock is the one volunteering to go on the dangerous suicide missions while Kirk warns him it's too dangerous.

I honestly thought the film was a load of fun. I'm a big beastie boys fan (unironically) and so i adored the "sabotage" scene. The whole movie just had a lot of oomf from the action sequences. Considering the whole film was made in such a short time, I have no complaints. I got my moneys worth.

I was okay with it considering he always explained why it was logical for him to do those dangerous missions.

Apologize

Take him back

What why? Trek 09 was good but into darkness was hot shit. Beyond is better than both.

Why?

We already have this hero coming back to Star Trek in 2017.

>go to see movie
>ads beforehand
>one is for some phone service that gets you free movie tickets
>ad has this awkward beta guy approach a cute girl and ask her out to the movies
>she says "oh that app can invite ANYONE? including my BOYFRIEND?"
>7 foot tall Chad walks on screen
>awkward dude says "y-yeah but you'd need my phone"
>Chad steals phone
>Chad and gf walk away
>this played before a fucking Star Trek movie

jesus christ i felt genuinely hurt
who would find that funny
it was just sad

Saw that one too. Couldn't believe that AT&T made a commercial calling all of their customers cucks

Did Krall say he served in the Xindi War? I heard the Romulan War mention but I couldn't make out what was said before that

He did say he fought the Xindi.

>Warp 4 ship

Charles Miner got cucked by Jonathan Archer and James T. Kirk.

I got the trailer for the new Ben Hur...

>not knowing he directed TD season 1 already

you should have seen Sup Forums sperg out the night he did that "no cuts" shot they thought it was the greatest scene of all time.

He directed the first couple episodes of season 2. Had nothing to do with season 1

there are more than just 2 Beastie boys songs you know

how have they not used this yet?

youtube.com/watch?v=4z0YkBnEYzc

That was Cary Fukunaga who also directed Beasts of No Nation. He's a far superior director to Justin Lin.

oh

I guess that was another asian director

Honestly I didn't think it was even that great

youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g

>I guess that was another asian director
yeah fukishima or some shit

Is Lin responsible for Jaylah?

If so, then yes. She's my new alien-fu.

True detective probably goes over the heads of the average plebeian.

It was Simon Pegg.

glad I'm not the only one who noticed it, that was just terrible

That RT score is season 1 and 2 combined.

it's worth only for Yorktown scene in the beginning

the movie made sulu gay. unforgivable

yes and it's a TV show without a name as of yet

you can't trust critics to judge these films fairly after into darkness

youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA