It's gonna be terrible

It's gonna be terrible.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Most likely

Just like the book
>one of the most interesting premises I've ever heard for a modern fantasy novel
>turns out it's 90% boring Americana

I have never been more disappointed by a book, even fucking Xenocide was less disappointing than American Gods.

>Main character is unironically named Shadow
NEIL YOU'RE NOT A COOL AND EDGY GOTH IN THE FUCKING 80'S ANYMORE

>Christina Hendricks will never play Easter

jdimsa

>new movie/tv show
>title: "American _____"

DROPPED

I originally thought that would be some mythological reference since I couldn't imagine an actual adult giving that name without reason.

I haven't read it yet. Can you eloborate as to why it is shit?

the book is fine, he just got something else out of it than what he expected

its his prison nickname, its just a really bad muh edgy one, it does have meaning he's a shadow in other peoples lives/adventures but its really blatant and stupid, can't believe Neil was this fucking obvious
not him, but its really not shit just if your going in expecting god fights and shit you will be disappointed its a road trip story

Road trip story?

Is there any fantasy conflict at all?

yea during the road trip, a guy named Mr Wednesday is gathering other gods for well reasons, any more would be spoilers

well, the book was no great treat, but i think Fuller and Al Fucking Swearengen will make it at least entertaining.

K thanks

nice casting

[spoiIer] test post [/spoiIer]

ah man I miss Dane thats great, even tho it'll be like a 30sec scene

also test

its not shit. the author's writing style s 10/10 for me, but i tend to like wordy shit like hawthorne and proust. for reference i couldn't stand the writing in harry potter, to the point that i only made it 1 chapter in and gave up

the plot falls apart a bit in the 2nd half. it kinda of just doesnt amount to what you think it will, but it's still enjoyable to read.

It's Fuller so it'll probably be good

>10 eps

yea same, for all its problems its one of my favorites read it every few yrs, the whole bit with the town and the undertaker is comfy af

The trailer was pretty good.

how is that possible? he dies in the first chapter and its off screen

well, it says 10 episodes so maybe flashbacks or he'll be a hallucination

Spoilers, but I haven't read the book in a decade or so:

Wednesday is Odin, stuck in America and having a bad time because no one worships Odin here (so his powers are weak), so he spends all his time running con-jobs for petty money. He's ostensibly gathering old gods (norse, egyptian, etc.) to get in a big fight with "new" gods (personifications of modern technology) on the premise that the latter hates the former and wants to get rid of them. Wednesday eventually gets killed by the latter. However, it turns out this was on purpose and he was running a scam wherein the battle would be dedicated to Odin by Loki (who shows up early hanging out in prison as an apparently unimportant side-character with Shadow under the name "low-key") so Odin (now in ghost-jedi form) and Loki can get mad god epeen points / power. Shadow mostly just kind of hangs out in the background while most of this stuff happens. Also at some point Shadow's wife dies and then becomes a clingy zombie and there's this big long subplot about a murder mystery in a small town that Neil Gaiman should have edited out of the book, lol.

>Just like the book
Not wrong, tbqh. The book had promise which is squandered repeatedly. I had a little hope when it was HBO, I had next to none when it switched to Starz. The trailer has reinforced why I figured Starz would do even worse with it. The needless changes is just the cherry on the shitshake they're offering

So far a good chunk of the book is shown off in the trailer. Are they going to half the book for one season or slap on the poor sequel to stretch this out over 2 or 3 seasons?

WE

no

c'mon man

KANGZ :(

I liked the small town bit, for someone who hasn't read it in a decade your basically spot on, cept you forgot about the hanging so odin can come back

really? i find Gaiman's style kind of serviceable, like Stephen King. nothing really out there stylistically. very readable but not challenging in the least. kinda boring, really, unlike the two you mentioned. Proust is the king of purple and flowery while Hawthorne is rather rugged and both can be challenging to read. just for chat's sake, i'd say Pynchon, Faulkner, and Nabokov are more up my alley. challenging prose but seriously rewarding. Gaiman's writing is just so forgettable to me. to each their own, though.

LOL this is a perfect summary

How many seasons will this have before it is canceled?

Gaiman's prose is shit and he makes King look like McCarthy.

>10 episodes

How?

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking construction, not content. Gaiman has his moments, but he's nowhere near Probst
>nobody is

>mfw it will only manage to produce 1-2 mediocre soon forgotten memes

5 episodes

Shadow was a big guy

Eh, some people like the challenge and some people just want a book. I tend to be in the latter, even though I still brag to normies about slogging all the way through King's IT.

The taxi cab faggot was the best part of the book

I liked the murder mystery subplot desu. This is a pretty spot on summary though. Don't forget though that Shadow is Odin's son and hangs himself to fuck up Odin's plan. Also he meets the European Odin in the book's epilogue.

>IT
never read it, but try the silmarillion or the unabridged Moby dick in 5th grade. is my /lit/peen bigger now?

I literally skip that shit every time I've read it, cept once

What was the point of that shit anyway?

>even though I still brag to normies about slogging all the way through King's IT.
i did that when i was 14, it was shit.

i didnt even think about how old this book is. just assumed it was recent since it got popular recently. when is it from?

Maybe just to show different gods and cultures on their own in America? That's what I took from it. Just like that bit about the piss drinking Indians and shit.

Too bad, it's bookino

as with all the vignettes, it was meant to juxtapose american life with religion

Don't know. Setting is awesome. Probably strongest urban fantasy setting ever written. I just want more.

I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan but comparing his prose to Proust is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever read on Sup Forums.

Trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0

I haven't read a book in like 2 years but this is the last book you read so this thread makes me feel excited

you dont read so well do you? i gave proust as an example of the type of writing i like, as in something other than
>harry potter touched dumbledores wang
>it was good
>snape didnt like it
i never said they were close to the same level

>In addition to the planned sequel, Gaiman has written two short story sequels featuring Shadow Moon. "The Monarch of the Glen", first published in Legends II, takes place in Scotland, two years after American Gods. The second short story, "Black Dog", written for Gaiman's short story collection Trigger Warning, takes place a year later in Derbyshire's Peak District.
Just write new book you, fag

sand nigger blows a jinn I remember, it should have been edited out.

That is a nickname.
You don't have to do much mental work to figure out what his real name is

do you think changing shadow's race will fuck up the dynamic of how people reacted to him in the book? the small town for example where the cabbie takes him under his wing or the local sheriff who liked him right off and tried to sign him up as a deputy. the way the town's people react later when they find out he's a criminal. the way the native american chick treats him for getting a ride in the first place. the fact that most of the attempts by media is through old reruns still like i love lucy and cheers.

i already disagree with the opening conversation with wednesday being a flight. that flight should be much later on a small private jet going to vegas, not the opening scene of when shadow is suppose to start driving and keeps getting told to stop asking questions.

It's essentially just Americana for the vast majority.

Baldur but that's a weird modern name isn't it? is their a modern equivalent for Baldr/Baldur/Balder?
>inb4 thor
he's not thor

In the book loki asks if he has nigger blood in him and stuff.
Idk when I read it I imagined he was white but I guess he could be mud looking

just saw the trailer, he kinda looks right, it is odd having the conversation on the plane, but they are obv doing the bar scene with the mead so I'm happy

i imagined armenian a bit which let him pass for white or mixed given how many can't instantly tell armenian apart from others. also someone much bigger than the dude they picked.

I want to see cute Zorya sister.

What does Birthday Ghost have to do with this?

I thought he mulatto in the book. At least that's how I pictured him when I read it.

>Starz
3 - 4 seasons guarantee regardless of ratings

It's Black Death

yea I was sure he had long hair but apart from that he looks right. bit short maybe

Looks kinda cool, minus the lead.

>so I have this new idea for a book okay?
>gods have powers equal to the amount of devotion that they receive so classical gods of things like: fertility, war, harvest are giving way to new gods like: technology, celebrity, cars
>old gods are pissed at the new gods and there's a big conflict coming up
>and it follows this boring guy through rural America and he occasionally runs into gods every now and again

It's like the fucking Bay Transmorphers series in book form, follow some regular ass guy who knows someone powerful and occasionally he runs into the powerful people.

I know. Tsubaki calls him Birthday Ghost because he brings her presents in her coma.

mentioned this in another thread and no one answered. anyone here worried they dropped the trailer on a Friday? not the best day to announce or present the first footage of a series. kind of confused as to why they'd bury this on a Friday night. weird.

Was pretty frustrated when reading. Shadow was boring as fuck, his whore of a wife was boring as fuck and that whole small-town murder subplot was so tedious and not needed at all.

Wish Gaiman had really delved deep into the God characters seeing as they are way more interesting than what he chose to present. All we got were glimpses which is what made it kinda worth it to trudge through the snooze fest of a plot.

It's not like they have real powers in human form.

heh

everyone seemed to go into this book wrong, maybe its the way its presented, the first time I read it yea same issue, 2nd time just enjoyed the trip, the town may be my favorite part

ah, so it was released to coincide with a convention? well, that explains that.

Will it have efreeti gay sex?

I really hope so!

Shadow was mostly self-insert character until he became a God. Subplot is great for setting. It's kinda show you something important about Old Gods. Really need more books in this setting. Anansi Boys was fun

The book is serviceable for what it is. People are frustrated because the concept is so incredible, especially for those who are interested in various mythologies anyway. It's really rare to see deities personified in such as way as the book had the opportunity to do.

Feels like a really wasted opportunity. Wish a more competent writer had come up with the concept.

spartacus was good. i would say chances arent great for this, but its not impossible it will be good

i'm kinda obsessed with various myoths, part of the fun of the book is identifying the various 'gods' and yea that is what frustrated me initially I wanted more of Baron Samedi or Kali but that wasn't what the story was.

yeah, that's exactly what Norman Mailer said about American Psycho. he wished a better writer would have written it because it was such a strong concept and Easton Ellis is not a great writer. same with Gaiman. Gaiman has a limited skill set but it keeps a reader entertained, i guess. he can sustain a narrative quite well but American Gods has some really weak subplots and meanders in a bad way. anyways, i hope the series impresses.

That's why it pains me so much that a loser network is taking it instead of HBO or AMC. Hell I'd take USA, Netflix, or Showtime over Starz. It's one of those rare book adaptations that has the potential to completely blow away the original material.

Why isn't literature "covered" in the same way music is? did i just give away a billion dollar idea to some sperg on 4chin who has the time to write books?

>bryan fuller showrunning

it'll be GOAT

but desu i dont see this doing well on hbo. they would pull the same shit they di with twd

>American Gods is 15 years old book now
I'm interested how his new "American Gods" books will looks like after Ocean of the End of Line. Do you read "Black Dog" story?

what other series has Starz done? i'm at a loss here as i don't have the network or any idea they did original programming. maybe this could be their first series worth watching?

see

spartacus
ash vs evil dead

starz might be on the mend bros. overall i agree, shit. but it's not a given

they have Power, black people love that shit

then they have like a pirate show and another show about old europe that nobody watches

>no fuckin epic god fights and superpowers
>2/10 shit book

haha, good idea. however, it's very time consuming to write a novel based on someone else's idea. yet, there have been recent fan-fictions that have ended up earning the authors some really good paydays.

I'm talking professionally though. Seriously, it makes so much sense

The actor portraying Shadow has an odd high pitched voice. Doesn't sound like what I imagined Shadow sounding like.