Is this Mann's best film? Its pretty fucking great

Is this Mann's best film? Its pretty fucking great.

It's hard to compare them. They're all 10/10. Mann is a God.

no

have you seen The Keep?

Why is he so underrated ? No one in my country knows him. They know Heat, Collateral but never saw them

I watched this recently for the 1st time and realised how much influence this has on GTA series.

I love Heat, but his best movie is The Insider.

only on 5

because none of his other movies besides The Insider were very critically or commercially successful

The Insider is his best conventionally plotted film and best pre-2000

>only on 5
not true

What the fuck happened to Mann? Miami Vice, Public Enemies, and Blackhat have all been terrible. Almost unwatchably bad.

It's about 45 minutes too long

nothing happened to Mann. he's essentially transcended genre conventions. you're the one who's incapable of appreciating what actually makes his films great; Miami Vice is objectively his best film.

Blackhat was better.

Not the user from above.
Rockstar said they would try to make heists based on Hollywood movies and Heat being on of the best heist movies, they did implement many elements from it. I don't know about the others.
>objectively
Do you even know what that word means?
Most of the people say it was bad and I've never heard a good comment about it, but it was OBJECTIVELY his best movie? Mann must suck really bad if that's true.
Personally I didn't enjoy it much, but if you did, that doesn't make it his best, or even good...

This.

>Reddit

Only thing worth watching are the heist scenes, and Val Kilmer's speed reload.

through formal and stylistic critique, yes, it is objectively his best film. if you've never heard a good comment about it, it's your own fault.

I liked Manhunt better. Also Heat should have been in two parts or a mini series since there is so muvh going on

>Rockstar said etc.
5 clearly took direct influence from Heat but as did 3, Vice City, San Andreas, and the shit one.

No and no.
Through formal and stylistic critique, the Heat and Collateral was good, but Miami Vice was unwatchable. Collateral even seems to have some elements of Miami Vice's direction, but MV's exaggeration on them made it tiring to watch.

fucking mannchildren

Why is Val Kilmer's reload such a big meme, I constantly see people talking about it and pointing it out, but he just puts a mag into a gun and chambers it normally??

>the Heat
yes i too love Paul Feig's buddy comedy starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy

Miami Vice's stylized hyper-realism, which you refer to as "tiring", is a work of genius on Mann's part. it's thanks to this that its characters and their world are so fully realized. no other film has managed to create such a perfect portrait of the flux and uncertainty of modern life.

Then he tried to apply that aesthetic to Public Enemies and made the worst film of his career.

The fact that people try and defend Public Enemies as some kind of masterpiece shows you everything wrong with the auteur theory's modern application. Its turned into the more personal directorial tics a film has, the better and deeper it is even if it makes no sense and actively hurts the story and the performances..

Public Enemies is the weakest of his post-2000 films (not for the reasons you listed), but it's still a better film than The Last of the Mohicans, which is as impersonal and commercial as he ever got.

>but it's still a better film than The Last of the Mohicans, which is as impersonal and commercial as he ever got.

That movie might be commercial, but it's not impersonal. And that doesn't make it his weakest pre-2000 film automatically, especially when Manhunter exists.

Manhunter is superior to The Last of the Mohicans for the production design and performances alone. it's one of the better procedural dramas ever made.

As I said, Collateral was like that, but it had a good balance. Miami Vice didn't and I stick to my "tiring to watch" opinion. An intention to make this perfect portrait etc doesn't say much, if it doesn't come off well.
>ahahhah misuse of the XD

Definitely the best /k/ movies. And the audio in Heat shootout was god tier.

>Manhunter is superior to The Last of the Mohicans for the production design and performances alone

The production design was fine, but the performances in Manhunter are uniformly unmemorable outside of Peterson and maybe Joan Allen.

come on. Tom Noonan is fucking terrifying as Dolarhyde.

Noonan barely has any screen-time. Mann sliced the story to ribbons so Graham could be the 100% lead character and left everyone else with table scraps.

as he should have, with the strength of Petersen's performance. but Noonan's screentime, scant though it may be, is highly memorable, particularly his scene with Lounds - which is another good performance, Stephen Lang is basically unrecognizable.

It can get kind of boring but yeah, its a GOAT movie

>as he should have, with the strength of Petersen's performance

But he turned Harris' "sympathy for the monsters" storytelling into another Michael Mann gritty cop on the edge story, which is a fantastically uninteresting interpretation. The screenplay swallows everything interesting about Dolarhyde and Lecter and just fires it back at Graham because he's the only character Mann gives a shit about.

> but Noonan's screentime, scant though it may be, is highly memorable

I mean he was good, but there wasn't enough of him. It was more to do with "Tom Noonan is good in everything" then anything to do with Mann.

>which is another good performance, Stephen Lang is basically unrecognizable.

That's absolutely true. Lang was excellent as always, the guy deserved a bigger career then he's had.

>he turned Harris' "sympathy for the monsters" storytelling into another Michael Mann gritty cop on the edge story, which is a fantastically uninteresting interpretation
check out the director's cut. it plays up Will Graham's obsession with the case far more, as well as emphasizing the nature of his relationship with Lecter.

Exactly. It was the non-retarded way to reload. He made a good, clean reload that people in movies don't do often. Guns didn't have endless "clips." He reloaded with urgency like a real bank robber, instead of trying to look cool like Neo. He sold his acting and character with that little action alone.

It was like the gun equivalent of doing your own stunt driving. Adds a great deal of believability.

From what I've seen so far

Collateral > Miami Vice > Blackhat > Heat > literal shit > Last of the Mohicans

>if the film is not easily parsed and heavy-handed in its intentions, then it is a bad film
its almost like you're trying to sound stupid

in my opinion:

Miami Vice > The Insider > Ali > Thief > Manhunter > Blackhat > Collateral > Heat > Public Enemies > The Keep > The Last of the Mohicans

The Insider has the best score, too.

The Insider is his best.

Why does nobody ever talk about how overreacted and out of place all the Pacino scenes are in Heat? Kills the movie

over-acted*

>Public Enemies is the weakest of his post-2000 films

It's as great as Miami Vice. Collateral is his weakest because of the dumb script.

>Then he tried to apply that aesthetic to Public Enemies and made the worst film of his career.

Worst film of his career? That can only be L.A. Takedown. People will appreciate Public Enemies in the future.