IN A THREAD

Will narration in trailers ever make a comeback, or are we doomed to an expanding school of BRAMMMM-based portentous nonsense, pointless strobe editing and awkward music-stop-plus-quip formulas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KrNn8tlvX6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=827FNDpQWrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SI2j1FHCjtM
youtube.com/watch?v=Pc71YvWG0GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=L6rg0DKPD9k
youtube.com/watch?v=jNU_jrPxs-0
denofgeek.com/us/movies/movie-trailers/241034/over-80-of-us-are-disappointed-by-movie-trailers
youtube.com/watch?v=lzPgN8eEI-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looks like we're doomed.

We are doomed indeed. Because movie trailers are not a piece of experimental art anymore, those trailers nowaday are just bland, generic and atrocious pieces of nothing more but a gimmick to make people extremely (if I mean extremely) hyped up all the time.

Just look at the trailers for any movie in any genre from any medium, live action or animated. Play the trailers side by side and compare. As you noticed that the trailer is similar to the other one, it feels like it's a trend where they have to recycle the editing style from the previous trailers to make this one look the same thing and put it in for a very different movie.

Take this one example, for animated films, a trailer for "The Angry Birds Movie" or "The Peanuts Movie" and put it side-by-side with the trailer of the recently flopped "Ice Age: Collision Course" or for live action films, put the most famous trailers (i.e The Dark Knight, inception, etc.) or trailers for bad movies like "Pixels" and then compare side-by-side with the other (i.e "Ghostbusters 16", "Trans4ormers", "Fant4stick", Any Marvel Movie, Warcraft, etc). Did you noticed? It's different movies that have a trailer (or trailers) that were edited the same way as for the previous one. (It's kind of lazy, you know.)

So overall the trailers nowadays are nothing more but a click bait that tries desperately to get people attention by editing the trailers the same way.

And to add the insult to that, it was not edited by film studios or directors, but it was done by those amateur editors from a guru marketing company.

To describe how amateur editors is, imagine if a 5-year-old wanted to recreate the trailer for Inception or a Transformers film by copy and paste the editing style to make a trailer for a different movie and there you go.

Would you like to continue?

No, they never will except as parodies. See Tropic Thunder.

The only recent trailer I can think of that had narration is Voyage of Time, but then again, that's a terry movie and Knight of Cups and Interstellar had narration, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=KrNn8tlvX6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=SI2j1FHCjtM
We're fucking doomed.

Amen

>watching trailers
found your problem.

>Amen
Is that a yes?

Okay, let's continue.

The one thing that amateur editors are lazy and dumb is the one simple answer that leads to the problem, they didn't know how trailers work as an experimental piece of art or how to edit trailers in a very different kind of editing style.

It's like if those dumb teenagers are trying to edit something that they didn't do editing before like they are new to the film business and they didn't know how making films work as an art form; so what they would do, because they have to do tests at college, is to watch a movie trailer, then recycle the movie trailer's editing style just so they would finish it quick and easy.

Don't Believe me? Well check out the videos from RLM and IHE and see what I have described.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pc71YvWG0GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=L6rg0DKPD9k

Would I finish this statement?

Bump from your grave. lol

True. I think this is al just monkey-see, monkey-do. they just ape the best trailers, and now the saturation is so high that old trailers are extinct.

Most movies are shit anyways, the trailer doesn't change that, but sure does give me a bullshit warning.

Terminator genisys trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=jNU_jrPxs-0
watch and weep.

It was on page 4.
>mfw

Those "IN A WORLD" (or something similar) narration trailers are pure cancer, though. (even the trailers for good movies like Nouvelle Vague trailers that just have someone saying "UN GARÇON, UNE FILLE, BEAUCOUP DE L'ARGENT, LE MORT")
are exceptions because those actually contain narration from the film.

As much as I like a good trailer, trailers have always been something to entice a viewer into watching a movie and nothing more. Something more interesting than pure generic hypebait is nice, but ultimately pointless.

>the trailer doesn't change that, but sure does give me a bullshit warning.
Correct.

Because trailers nowadays were trying to compete to see how big could a blockbuster would by hyping the shit out those people by purpose, like abusing the hype train for something that would make everyone aware of the part of the marketing.

And I'm not the only one who hated and aware movie trailers, there are a couple of articles that focuses on any problem that would a make the trailer worthless.

Take one article from Den of Geek for example: denofgeek.com/us/movies/movie-trailers/241034/over-80-of-us-are-disappointed-by-movie-trailers

>tfw when you step into a thread with two tripfags jerking each other off

>Those "IN A WORLD" (or something similar) narration trailers are pure cancer, though. (even the trailers for good movies like Nouvelle Vague trailers that just have someone saying "UN GARÇON, UNE FILLE, BEAUCOUP DE L'ARGENT, LE MORT")
> are exceptions because those actually contain narration from the film.
I think narration trailers nowadays where commonly used in animated films

Do you wanna spit or swallow, baby?

>but ultimately pointless.
spooked

>Because trailers nowadays were trying to compete to see how big could a blockbuster would by hyping the shit out those people by purpose, like abusing the hype train for something that would make everyone aware of the part of the marketing.
I think the more important question to ask here is: why are people falling for this shit? Are thye literally sheep?

>I think the more important question to ask here is: why are people falling for this shit? Are thye literally sheep?
It's simple, the marketing campaigns are trying to shove out all of those 'important' things that where in the film to make it more of a marketable big budget summer or whatever seasonal blockbuster by treating film buffs and geeks like big dumb monkeys.

It means that if they have to hype the film by treating them like idiots, they to either lie or give all of the details away, as in, spoiling the entire film.

The Perfect examples of marketing campaigns that treated people like dumb, where sony's infamously bad yet controversial films, Pixels and Ghostbusters 16, Duncan Jones' Live Action Adaption of Warcraft, and other examples that made movie trailers a bad name to the public, or as know for as one of the scums of the internet.

>Pixels
Holy fuck, I'd forgotten about that.

What's the best trailer you've seen? I think that interstellar trailer cuts it for me, I think it perfectly encapsulates the tone of the mvoie without giving away a lot of details.

>What's the best trailer you've seen?
I Don't have one.

Here's one for you OP:

youtube.com/watch?v=lzPgN8eEI-c

Pastiche, obviously.

>>Pixels
>Holy fuck, I'd forgotten about that.
Also, how did you forgotten about one of the worst movies of all time, pixels?

I just saw that it was an Adam Sandler film and never thought about it again.

The voice of the movie trailers is dead.

But isn't it cheesey to hear

"THIS SUMMER"

>The voice of the movie trailers is dead.
Why?

Doomed

Trailers have stopped being "get people interested in the story" and are now just "hook people into buying a ticket"

I had written something informational of how trailers suck in this thread.

>blue laser beam shoots into sky

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It's still a good thread.

Most movies are shit hence why. Last time i went to the cinemas to see the nice guys I couldn't stop cringing at the trailers

dumb frogposter

When were trailers ever anything more than "get people to buy a ticket" moron. Ad companies just got better over time

The most recent Fantasitc Beasts trailer had narration (or one of them did), I believe.

But it really is more referencing the original Harry Potter trailers than doing it for its own sake, which is the only time we'll see trailer narration, as homage to some film that did it originally.