Mr Robot's symbolism

>season 1 was a self-aware le anonymous hacker power fantasy
>season 2 is a deconstruction of season 1's supposedly omniscient narrator and manichaeism
>some people liked the first season better than the second

Why is this board so pleb? People who go
>it's pretentious
>nothing happens
are the reason why we can't have kino anymore, the symbolism is lost on them because they don't have the cultural education to get the themes and subtext if it's not hamfisted and spoonfed to them (looking at you Amurica),
Mr Robot and Evangelion are both criticisms of Escapism, manchildren watch those for the power fantasy aspect and then they fail to get that both series are trying to tell them something deeper:
>indulging in fantasy and non-constructive behavior too much will hurt you and the people around you
>being on Sup Forums all day is one of those behaviors
>both protagonists have to get over themselves, literally "get their heads out of their asses"
>escapism is born from fear of reality
>you won't have a nicer life unless you come back to reality and fight for it

That episode 4 was Anno-tier 10/10 pure soapkino, but well, I guess the easier people are to satisfy, the shittier shows and movies will get.

The lack of self-awareness and culture is killing the possibility of a self-criticizing society.

Episode 25 > Mr. Reddit S1&2

You can't fool me I know this show is shit

What are they standing on, exactly?

Existentialism

the masks still make me cringe

The show was shit in season 1, the hacker trope is so terrible. The outsider trope is so terrible. His mental illness stuff is cringy. The only thing keeping the show grounded was Shayla and she got killed in some fantastical drug dealer shit. There is no suspension of disbelief.

That said I never finished season 1, and never started season 2 so I can't speak to which is better.

is eva recommendable?

Not relevant. Plot and lore points in Evangelion that nerds scratch their heads over are part of the targeted problem.
All you need to know is that both protagonists have the choice to live and die as a selfless hero or as a whiny bitch.

Existentialism =/= symbolism.
Existentialism is exactly the kind of self-centred ideology that a psychological symbolist story pisses all over.

The mask is clearly part of the problem.
Wearing a mask is easier than getting in touch with the multiple parts of yourself that prevents you from being happy.
Yes, if you watch it as a wake-up call and not as a mecha anime, because the director doesn't want you to enjoy it as such.

Nah

how is elliot a whiny bitch? i dont understand
he was in his perfect loop not doing shit

The loop is his personal hell.
Reconciliation with his "dark" self is the only way he can get over himself and come back to reality.
Eliott would rather be safe than self-aware, and lacks courage just as much as Shinji.
Both shows are about being self-centered and running away from your potential, while hurting yourself and people around you.

Episode 4 was pretty clear about all that.

I always thought it was coral reef. Considering the watery nature (and possible long after rebirth) of Eva's ending scenarios, makes plenty of sense.

Or you could take the stupid ass perspective "They were all on a bunch of REEFer haha"

You sound like an adolescent pseud. Fuck off and develop a critical faculty.

Not OP but really nice evaluative, fair attitude you got there son.

Sup Forums is by far the shittiest media board, and by far the plebbiest wrt. to their own medium. go to fucking Sup Forums and you have scottish folk share threads for fucksake in there or production threads.

tv is so pleb because every one can watch capeshit, starwars and call themselves 'film hobbyist' and it takes like 2 hours. this is also how Sup Forums was THE ONLY media board to be taken over by sp and pol - because it is the lowest floor to get into - every normie goes to capeshit openings

then you expect these same reddit-pol fucks to have patience to watch two seasons of show that has more in common with dreyer, soderbergh fincher than the capeshit and 'relevant sjw films to rant about'

please

>wrt. to

Hey I have been up more than 16 hours with 2 hour sleep and this includes going to gym and eating like garbage AND having THE SHITS.

inclusion of chess was unfortunate imho

The main cast does need a reality check:
>Eliott needs to accept his split-personality as a whole self or he will get himself or his friends hurt
>Angela needs to stop doing something she doesn't like to get validation or she will get herself or those she cares about hurt
>Eliott's sister needs to stop being a raging anarchist or she will get her or her bf hurt
>Tyrell needs to stop running, come back to his wife and face justice, etc

It was a nice way to show Eliott can't get rid of a part of himself.

in the end they still had to say it out loud, was making them play badly on camera necessary?

This, Sup Forums had the excuse to be self-aware on its bullshit, but now that radical autists invaded, it's going to shit too.
>
>I hate people who try and build a reasonable opinion
Berating isn't an argument.

What about
>aesthetics
>well-edited symbolism

How would you have improved that scene?

I'm going to start season 2 now. What do I need to remember from S1? It's been a while and all I remember is Tyrel killing that woman, getting fired, and not showing up, and Elliot discovered about his father and himself

You'll be fine.

>watching mr. reddit

As long as you remember who was on which side and the important twists you'll be fine

I'm aware of the symbolism of a chess game, I'm also aware it doesn't work if you've played even a couple of games. Mr. dad was giving up pieces from the second move which is no way to force a stalemate, luckily Eliot did it for him instead of giving him movement space to buy some turns. Made me think of them less, like if Rocky lost his breath half way up the stairs.

see

I don't think the chess game was supposed to be realistic.

It was just supposed to be a stalemate.

There is some Taoism thrown in there too.
Balance is healthier than destruction.
E-Corp can't be all-powerful but it certainly can't be destroyed either.

Okay but is he in a psych ward or not?

Maybe?