Hack or not?

hack or not?

he takes beloved franchises and shits all over them for his executive overlords, definitely a hack

Of course he is a hack
He never made anything worth watching

his TV output was far more interesting than his movies.

his movies arent bad, they are just... bland. way too safe

Puppet on a String.
Spielburger and George Lucas pulling the strings.

I liked Alias

Total hack.

Meant to quote OP

this, one of the most entertaining shows, i really enjoyed watching it, and ive only seen it recently, i imagine it was even better when it was still fresh.

also, correct me if im wrong, but jj is responsible for launching lost, and i guess to some extent planning out the first season. which was also great.

so, hes done good tv stuff, but as far as movies go, i only really liked MI3.

he's a hack, but a talented one. does nostalgia well, but lacks depth.

He doesn't take the right kind of risks. He'd rather push a social agenda by shoehorning PoC and stronk women into lead roles rather than take franchises to new and exciting places.

worst director/producer/writer ever.
he has made nothing worth watching

He's definitely a hack.
I'll never forgive him for Into Darkness and The Force Awakens.

apologize

These movies are not worth watching

literally pleb tier movies that were highly voted by plebs

I disagree. They're very fun and well-made blockbusters that are worth the price of admission.

He is a hack. What he's the master of is selling his ideas as clever and well reasoned, even if on paper they're more lazy and cowardly, like how he worked so hard to sell a narrative during the production of Star Wars that they need to "go backwards to go forwards". It convinces people that there's justification in the thought process for his poor decisions, like, even if we find the end result disappointing, it's excused on the basis of what he was trying to do.

He basically distracted everyone with all the celebration of old school puppetry and use of real sets, when in actuality he was too literally trying to replicate Star Wars. In the years to come TFA will surely be the least discussion worthy of the new SW movies.

Similarly, I think his TED talk on the "mystery box" really sums up the problem with most of his works. He likes to set up a scenario, thinking "wouldn't it be cool if...", and then once he's planted that seed he fucking abandons ship so he doesn't have to be responsible for tying together all the necessary elements in a way that makes things coherent. His daydreaming at the beginning of a project basically sabotages the end of it. As a result, he tries desperately hard to blow people away with pure style over substance. Almost everything he makes is impressive as you watch it, but then as you come away from it you realise more and more of it doesn't make sense.

that's the plebbiest words I have ever read

But a majority of people walk away from his films completely satisfied so I don't know why you're implying his films are disappointing.

Almost every decision with ST and TFA was safe but smart.

safe decision /= poor decision

great rebuttal dude.

Is he worse than Michael Bay?

lmao he's Michael Bay except he can actually write dialog, make fun and entertaining characters, have engaging and coherent action scenes and set-pieces, and tie it all together with a serviceable plot.

So he's Michael Bay except he's competent.

Bay just throws shit on-screen and calls it a day.

Bodge

Total hack. I have no idea how anyone actually thinks he's good when he's never made anything original.

The best example for this is how he took Star Wars, had at least hundreds of different new things he could have done with the movies, but decided to rip off Episode IV. Now we have to wait for three fucking movies for things to end the same as they did in Episode VI.

are you implying that wasn't Disney's decision to that so they could reintroduce a new generation to Star Wars?

>Abrams is one of Hollywood’s bigger Democratic supporters. Back in October, he hosted an intimate $33,400/ticket roundtable with President Obama in the living room of his Pacific Palisades home to raise money for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. And now that Hillary’s presidential campaign is in full swing, Abrams opened up about why he thinks she’s the best candidate in the field.
“I will say we are supporting Hillary,” Abrams told The Daily Beast. “We believe in her as the strongest candidate. She does have the experience and the politics. She is compassionate, and right. When I look at the people who need the support that aren’t necessarily getting it, I believe that she would provide that. That is really the way that we have to approach how we vote: Look around and ask yourself, who needs to be brought up? Who needs to be emphasized? Who needs compassion? And I find that that’s something that she’s got.”

>democrats

stopped reading right there.
fuck off with your off-topic politics.

There's no need to reintroduce new generations to Star Wars simply because every parent has made their kids watch it at some point. Most 10 year olds know who Darth Vader is.

Nothing will ever wash off the bad taste Episode VII left in my mouth. Again, they had hundreds of different things they could have done yet they chose to make Episode IV again.

100% hack. His movies are focus group trash

>except he can actually write dialog, make fun and entertaining characters, have engaging and coherent action scenes and set-pieces, and tie it all together with a serviceable plot.

HOLY FUCK MY SIDED

He's a clever producer and a perfectly average director.

He's perfect for today's Hollywood that's driven by sequels, reboots and expanded universe franchises.

what a fantastic argument dood.

/thread

No.

Hell, star trek beyond shows that a Fast and Furious director can do all that far better than JJ ever could

>a scene-for-scene remake of ANH
>the worst, most bland MI entry in the series
>Chad Trek
>a love letter to Spielberg

I'm impressed with how awful this resume is. Remarkably uninspired.

>best SW movie since Return of the Jedi
>Mission Impossible's best Villian and saved the franchise after 2 was mediocre
>saving a literally dead franchise
>a love letter to what inspired him to make movies (i.e. a passion project)

He's great. Better than most modern directors.

if you go into a Abrams movie and expect a completely original and groundbreaking experience you just might be mentally incompetent.

The dude is known for making tastefully made homages and reinvigorating stale formulas.

It's like going into a Paul Thomas Anderson movie and complaining there wasn't any explosions or well-written comedy.

>The dude is known for making tastefully made homages and reinvigorating stale formulas.

In other words on unoriginal hack

yeah, and Shane Black is the worst horror movie director of all time.

>most bland MI
Glad I'm not the only one with this opinion

Maybe if 2 didn't exist.

He's too nostalgic, hasn't taken a risk with any of his projects, and his style hasn't really stood out yet. Not quite a hack but not an auteur.

SAMEFAG

>and his style hasn't really stood out yet.

He has a "style", if you can call giant lens flares in space a "style"

i think into darkness and force awakens showed his 'style'.

he's too far invested in action 'beats'. it's way too easy to see the peaks and troughs in his films and it feels very, very artificial. especially because his 'troughs' don't really serve much downtime, there's barely any time to catch your breath.

when i think of jj abrams i think of some of the negative reviews for the incredibles. some critics hated that film because it was 'loud and had explosions'. a decade later abrams comes along and does his fucking loud-and-explosive shit with none of the finesse that brad bird brought to the incredibles and he's showered with acclaim.

You can call 2 boring or the worst of the series, but to call it bland is just wrong. It has a clear tone to it, even if goofy. 3 is just a bland corporate mainstream as fuck espionage/action film, without any of the charisma of the first one

that's literally false because 3 has significantly more heart and energy than 2.