Is the constant lack of creativity and originality a symptom of the rise of Millennials?

Is the constant lack of creativity and originality a symptom of the rise of Millennials?

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/hollywood-movie-ticket-sales
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, but the expectation to get praised despite that is.

>implying millennials occupy positions above middle manager in any Hollywood studio
>implying the overseas market isn't the primary cause of the utter degradation of film in the last 10 years
>implying it won't get even worse and that TV is the new film
>im-FUCKING-plying

Baby Boomers are dying user, it's time to face the reality

Its always been there. There was a sea of shite in the 80s and 90s. Always was, always will be.

I tried watching this movie today, I almost made it halfway before deleting it.

Can't be worse than baby boomers

You forgot gen X. We still have 20 years before milennials routinely become execs in legacy industries.

Fury Road, though.

The symptoms you mentioned have been around before Millenials, but more widespread appvoval of them is directly related to Millenial influence.

Millenials, more than any generation before them, exist with a constant desire for recognition and validation. Social media and the vast interconnection of contemporary society fuels this directly, as Millenials upload pictures of themselves participating in activities.

If they enjoy a sunset at the beach, they do not take a picture of the sunset. They take a picture of themselves with the sunset. Or, if they are not in the picture (say of an expensive dish of food), they make sure to post it and tag it on their own instagram accounts. More than they want to do something, they want people to know they are doing it. If it didn't happen online, it may as well have not happened.

This directly correlates to contemporary filmmaking, where "referential" humor has risen substantially. We now accept references as jokes, because references to something we are familiar with act as a form of validation.

>"Yes, the ghost was behind me, and we made a vase." - Ghostbusters 2016
"Hey, I've seen that movie too. I get the joke."

>Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack
"Hey, I know those song lyrics. Great soundtrack."

>Essentially any line from Deadpool
"Ha! Great joke! I've seen that movie/heard that song/know that celebrity."

By allowing the Millenials to feel this validation through familiarity and reference, Millenials approve of the films, post it on their Facebook status, and tell their friends to go see the movie.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

>this question
>this thread
REALLY, really makes you think....

Gen X are a meme, basically proto-Millennials

To continue and to clarify the pic in my post, this is why Eisenberg's Lex Luthor was a perfect reimagining of the character in a contemporary setting.

The number of references he makes in BvS is absolutely insane. He speaks almost entirely in references (to The Wizard of Oz, Moby Dick, and Greek mythology, to name only a few).

Eisenberg's Luthor is this concept of referential Millenial validation pushed towards its breaking point - the point at which many viewers (myself included) believed that the character could actually be on the spectrum of autism. His social cues have been completely absorbed and overtaken by his sarcastic, referential humor.

Luthor is a warning - a warning of what could happen should this trend continue unchecked.

What did he mean by that?

Don't be a moron.
Yes, contemporary producers are still unquestionably old money, but all producers primarily want to make money.

They do this by attracting audiences, and specifically younger audiences, who have a quantifiable tendency to go to the movies in groups en masse.

The power people are old, yes, but they are secretly beholden to the taste of Millenials and younger generations, which they do their best to control.

Just got out of the theater, it was better than all the negative publicity it was getting.
The film suffered from a mediocre script, reshoots and panicked editing, and you could feel the pressure that the people making this movie felt. But in spite of all that it was still entertaining and enjoyable.
It's a shame this won't get a sequel, I feel that if the pressure were to be let off from this crew they could do a lot more with the franchise.

t. Paul Feig

There has never been such a prominence of reboots and sequels as we currently see in movies (And video games for that matter, both because of the same problem).

It's a symptom of a dying industry.

Go to bed, Feig.

If the best thing you can say about a film is that "it wasn't that bad" , then it's a bad film.

Memeing a little too hard there friend.

You forgot one important detail: that movie bombed. And Hollywood is, financially, on the decline.

So millenials actually DON'T like that shit, not most of them. The people you are talking about are just a fraction of them, the liberal/SJW/hipster crowd, which in that demographic is certainly the loudest and most frequent user of social media. Which is why it mislead others to think they're the majority.

But numbers don't lie.

Are you sure, user?

They're better than any other living generation.

No its a symptom of MBA grads infesting the entertainment industry while having no understanding of what actually constitutes creativity.

Yes

They aren't watching movies to begin with.
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/hollywood-movie-ticket-sales

Course they aren't watching, what movie is worth going to nowadays?

The only people I've ever heard say they like that show are those who are +40 years old.

Hollywood's problem is with the obsessive nostalgia that is a plague on the world at the moment. It started in the 90s- when Clerks and the Simpsons and Spaced came out, and they had those constant little jokes and references, it was kind of secondary to the real comedy but they found this was where they got laughs- an empty laugh of "I get that joke". This led to shitty sitcoms like the Big Bang Theory but it also led to the endless culture of remakes and reboots. Instead of seeing a movie listed and thinking 'that may be entertaining' people now look and think 'oh they've remade Ghostbusters, I love Ghostbusters". Why bother making a new series, a new franchise, when you can reboot an old one and take people's money that way?

Not to mention how digital marketing has fucked everything up. You alt right morons might not realise this, but the second you took an issue with Ghostbusters being all female, it won. All it ever did was create publicity, a special kind of publicity that put a sympathetic light on the movie and the cast. Has anything good ever come from digital marketing?

For real my grandparents both love that show.

Well I'm not gonna lie and say it was the greatest movie out there like some media outlets are saying, because that does a disservice to audiences and hollywood and the future attempts to make quality movies, but it most certainly wasn't bad.

The actors had chemistry, and there were plenty of good lines, like the 'Irish protection fence', 'P.T Barnum getting his idea to put elephants into slavery', so many of hemsworth's lines were great too, like the fish tank is a submarine for fish, or I can't answer the phone its in the fish tank, just dead pan.
Production was really good, the pacing was fairly good and overall holds together, I think the rottentomatos score is appropriate.

End their miserable existence, please.

No, and old people have been blaming young people for society's decline for thousands of years, and probably longer. We reached a peak of decadence and we're in a fall, right now, though we're still holding onto our culture of excess and consumerism.

Millennials certainly are not helping to eradicate the degeneracy

This
It's a way for faggot 30-40 year olds to try and distance themselves from our generations shitty reputation

I liked the GOTG soundtrack but hated Deadool