Lore wise, who exactly is Aragorn and what is his power level in comparison to everyone else in the story?

Lore wise, who exactly is Aragorn and what is his power level in comparison to everyone else in the story?

Also, hw did he know more about the ring than Gandalf did upon first seeing Frodo? And why did he immediately decide to take the Hobbits to Rivendall once he found Frodo? I've never read the book(s) so I'm not sure if this is just a movie thing or not. Pls no bully.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUu1DA5HCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

80yr old 7'0" combat veteran with the blood of demigods flowing through his veins

>demigods

no

He's just a human that can live a loooooong time. Too much for normal humans, but too little to compete with elves.

And he's doing that because he needs to impress Arwen's dad so he can marry her

last of the ancient blood line of kings who live longer, become smarter than average men.

like said, he is older than any other fighting man, and still in him prime.

If he can live a "loooooong" time (More than a regular human, I assume), then he obviously isn't just a regular human.

I mean that he doesn't have powers or anything, he's not superwise or stronger than a normal human either. He just gets to live to like, 200.

Special bloodline

Last living descendant of Elendil. He is not actually descended from Isildur contrary to popular misconception.

There was a Kingdom in Eriador which split off from Gondor, ruled by the Dunedin, a race of men who live for like 200 years and are generally strong and powerful. It eventually fell to the invasions of the Witch King. The dunedin, including the former royal line, became rangers who generally protected the North in secret for a few centuries. Eventually Aragorn was born to Arathorn from the royal line. Arathorn died somehow when Aragorn was a baby and he ended up getting fostered by Elrond in Rivendel

Why though? Or is this just something Tolkien never bothered to explain or elaborate on?

Actually maybe he is a descendant of Isildur. I forget

The men who fought against Morgoth in the war of the wrath were gifted the Island of Numenor by Eru, who is basically god. They were also gifted extra long life and physical health and strength.

Why? Because God said so.

The numenoreans were eventually corrupted and destroyed but some fled to middle earth where they established Gondor and Arnor

The LOTR god made humans able to live that long at first, but then decided it was too much. This was never really expanded upon.

He's metaphorically a descentand of Isildur since he is a Dunedin

In the extended version on the Two Towers they reveal he's one of the Dunedine like says basically blessed men of extra long life powers not greater than a normal man outside of triple life expectancy

This is so fucking wrong

>Dunedin

is a town in new zealand. i wonder if tolkien used this name knowing the film was going to be shot there

He's a full foot or more taller than everyone else in the books barring gandalf and uruks, chased down uruks for 4 days and covered like 50 miles on foot, killed literally hundreds of orks and humans, solo'd a troll and several nazgul at once. Regular humans in the same story matched some of these feats sure, but the guy is as close to superhuman as it gets in middle earth.

It's because he ate the elf bread

No it isn't.

your very wrong, I know its already been said but this post fucking triggered me, never pretend to know tolkien again pls.

>Melian

Yes.

Why are idiots telling you you're weong?

Which part is wrong?

The only part that is wrong is that Aragorn is actually a descendant of Isildur. I thought Isildur took Gondor and his brother took Arnor but it was the other way around.

The misconception I was thinking of was that Aragorn was a descendant of the kings of Gondor.

They're just being baiting retards user, all of what you said rings true to me - nice LOTR knowledge.

is there any like hero better than viggo/aaragorn? every time you watch it's like this guy is fucking awesome.

>I've never read the book(s) so I'm not sure if this is just a movie thing or not
Well if you had read them, you'd know Gandalf had instructed him to take the Hobbits to Rivendell. You'd also know that Gandalf left a letter at the inn so Frodo would trust this ranger stranger.

that's what annoyed me, carry on

It's an obvious ripoff of Adam and Eve combined with the Icarus story. Tolkien was a hack. He stole elements from almost as many mythologies as Robert Jordan did. This blatant thievery, btw, is why the so-called "fantasy" (all fiction is fantasy) genre isn't respected by any Classics majors.

That's nice to know, user.

Also, has anybody ever told you how much of a condescending prick you are?

Why become so very upset at a simple turn of phrase when you could just read the books and achieve parity with the truly knowledgable? Hobbit+LotR+HoME can be completed in 2 months easy if you read one hour at lunch, one hour during gym, and one hour before bed, so there's no excuse.

>one hour during gym

What?

>Reading at the gym

If you're reading at the gym you probably shouldn't be at the gym in first place. My gym would kick me the fuck out if I sat there reading a book for an hour while I was there.

Some people read when on the treadmill for a while

>isn't respected by any Classics majors
Probably because the classics refers to a specific time and place ie. ancient greek and roman writings, and not just "WOW WHAT A CLASSIC!" you fucking pleb.

I'm not gonna go to the gym to LOSE gains. Seems rather counter-productive if you ask me.

Really makes you think...

Did you just look that up or something? You seem really confused.

Nope. Lots of first year arts major kids like you make the same mistake all the time.

>Waa! People are mean to me because I'm proud of not reading!
Okay user. Okay.

No mistake was made, Billy.

>an all seeing illuminati eye obsessed with some gold manipulating the 9 kings of men with promises of shekels to use shitskins (and halfbreeds from coalburning furnaces) to invade white nations and subvert/destroy the west

What did Tolkien mean by this?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUu1DA5HCs

This. Tolkien loved allegory and gleefully subscribed to the pernicious race-doctrine

>Tolkien loved allegory
I don't even have enough REEEE for this.

>classics majors
oh no Tolkien doesn't have the respect of a bunch of trustfund nu-males wasting daddy's money how will his legacy live on

>There is no deeper meaning to LOTR

The whole story was an allegory for the industrial revolution, both world wars and the effect they had on England, artard.

You're mistaking all fantasy and fiction, including contemporary works, as being part of the classical era. No one who studies classics even thinks about stuff like Tolkein. I don't why you would even mention that unless you were trying to seem smarter than you really are for criticizing it on false pretenses.

Well I read your retarded post, didn't I?

I actually read a lot, even if it's just shitposting on 4chin. I just can't immesrse myself in books. No idea why, just can't do it. My mind drifts off and I just lose interest. I read the first three chapters of American Psycho recently, and it bored to fucking tears.

No, none of that happened. Holy fuck I hope you're trolling and not just a legitimate mouthbreather. What were your SAT scores?

Listen here my American friend. Reading is good for you. You should do more of it. If you can't, that's on you. If you get upset for getting talked down to, you can either whine about it, or you can try to improve yourself.

He is descended from Isildur. It was the Gondor line of kings started by Anarion who he wasn't descended from.

I'd kick your f*cking bottom if you said anything close to that to me in real life.

But I'm reading right now, you fucking idiot.

No you're not, you're shitposting on Sup Forums. Go grab The Hobbit, you should be able to get through it during the weekend.

I already told you I don't like reading books. I explained to you I can't immerse myself in them, and eventually lose interest entirely.

Instead of just reading why don't you try to understand what is actually being said? You have a case of in one ear, out the other. Can you not hold any kind of information for more than a few seconds before completely forgetting it, or do you just have an issue with comprehension?

Listen kid I know you're hyped about your joke degree but you shouldn't drop things like that into a conversation when you don't understand the implications.

Friendly note for next time okay pal? No hard feelings. And I never had to do SATs because I don't like a third world country with no education standards.

>I don't need to improve myself because I'm lazy! Everyone else should lower their standards for me instead!
>I'm also going to try futilely insulting you because my feelings have been hurt!
Okay then. You're going to get talked down to for the rest of your life, so you better get used to it.

fucking nerds amirite

Nice stawman; you're truly showing your superior intellect, user.

You're out of your fucking league, son. I might not read books but I know how to write and form a concise and coherent argument.

What's your argument then? That because you're lazy and unimaginative and can't into books, you should therefore be treated with respect and not get made fun of?
I think you should give it up with this, just like you give up with reading.

I've made my point, and I have no interest in pursuing this any further.

The only point is on the top of your head.

Its time for you to stop posting son, save the big boy talk for when you get old enough to post

>power level
animefags are the worst

Half elf, so long life and all that.

Grew up with the elves, so knows elven herb lore, etc.

Been a Ranger for longer than a normal man's fighting lifetime, so legendary fighter.

Hand to hand, Aragorn can win against human, dwarf, orc or goblin. There are probably some elves who could take him H2H, but not many.

He'd be useless against a Balrog, Wizard, or dragon (at least without >muh black arrows)

>Half elf

why do you think this

>He's just a human that can live a loooooong time.

And he's also king of Gondor or whatever. Dude, can you imagine? 200-250 years of his rule. What if he's a horrible king? What if it turns out he's a dick, or a tyrant, or his fiscal policies are bunk? Maybe Aargon is a better warrior than he is a ruler.

You can't just wait until his term is over; kings are kings for life. You can't just wait until he dies; depending on where in his life span you were born, it's very possible that you'll die before he does. Fucking hell, man.

LOTR may have ended all hunky doory, but if I were a Gondorian I was start shouting "SIC SEMPER TYRANIS" and reject him ASAP if he even starts not being a kick ass government. The stakes are too high when he doesn't live as long as the plebs.

This is gurm's main criticism of Tolkein.

Or what if
He's a really good king and everyone loves him for 250 years then he dies and he's remembered fondly and the new king follows his example
Fucking doom and gloom motherfucker

because he is, he literally has the blood of demigods running through his veins, new menorians are half elfs

His mother was an elf?

nope. You fucking idiot

>new menorians

What happened to the old menorians?

His great^33 grandfather was Elronds brother Elros who is half elven. Arwen is his cousin a billion times removed.

They got old

No he means that Tolkien hated telling audiences what his works meant on a deeper level, which is what allegory is. He wanted everyone to come up with their own interpretations, ignoring his intent.

I wish people who copy tolkien's elves actually copied them and not just what they thought said elves were.

Feanor was so fucking pissed all the time that after he died, his corpse exploded out of uncontained rage.

Average numenorians could shoot arrows 4 miles. There are several instances where they are shown to be superhuman

gene roddenberry did it right

Romulans maybe, but Vulcans didn't really act like Tolkien elves

i was talking about klingons

Klingons as Gene wrote them were just a blatant allegory for the Soviets though.

Even worse, his entire offspring would live longer than their people (he married an elf, and that made the king's blood even purer). Besides, what are the odds of one of his grand grand grandsons turning evil or just plain bad at ruling?

>physical strength
Aragorn is pretty much an apex man. Fast, strong and good at fighting. His main power and why Sauron fears him is the fact that he is the returned king. The mere sight of him in the book inspires men to work together and stand up and fight. He's basically a massive morale boost.

>Even worse, his entire offspring would live longer than their people
No. Halfelves in Tolkien's canon can choose whether they want to be men or elves. For example Elrond is a 'halfelf' who decided to become an elf. Elrond's brother, Elros chose to be a man and became the first King of Numénor.