Godzilla Resurgence

Bump limit reached

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kJZBt6wTNe0
torrent.cd/f065810cb1da23a469213023b633afc892e01cf3/King Kong Escapes 1967 .avi.torrent
btstorrent.cc/dogora-83-min-japanese-classic-sci-fi-mp4-tf3044944.html
ilcorsaronero.info/tor/54292/Dogora_Il_Mostro_Della_grande_Palude___Dogora__1964__XviD_Ita_Ac3_5_1_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are sequels being planned?

Funi are a bunch of faggots, but them reverting the name back to Shin Godzilla is the best thing they've ever done.

If so, Anno already stated that he wouldn't be working on them. This is a one-off for him. With his fatty war chest, he can now finish Rebuild 3.0+1.0 and then move on to something he's been wanting to do

maybe the Ultraman project he's been talking about for years?

Suit was cheaper than stop-motion but it looks much better (and I love the hell out of Ray Harryhausen) especially in black and white.

Always hated every version of the Super X.

Still better than the penguin though.

Saw the movie in Japan. Posting my jewanon review again for newfags who stumble into the thread to stimulate discussion.

This movie is like Evangelion with Godzilla in it. As I understood it there are vague statements in the film that Gojrilla is trying to "remake god in the image of man" or some other shit that sounds like it came out of the mouth of Gendo. Gojrilla is implied to be some sort of bioweapon of dubious origin instead of an ancient dinosaur or whatever. Throughout the film it becomes clearer and clearer that he's literally made up of thousands of corpses. Anno of course never explains how this came to be.

It's a complete reverse from the US Godzilla, which played on the 1980's-era Toho films that had Godzilla as a "our guy" who fought other monsters. Godzilla is pure evil in this film, the first and only movie where he really comes off as intentionally malicious instead of just a savage beast (original) or misunderstood (recent US remake).

There's also the military fetishism that's in Evangelion. Every time a weapon appears on the screen you get flashed with the description of what it is.

I wonder if Anno is losing his marbles again. This movie isn't full end-of-evangelion tier insanity, but does hit episode 19 levels of eva insanity.

Final thoughts: it's also pretty anti-American. The US is depicted as a controlling force that is fucking over Japan. The Japanese gov in the movie has to decide destruction at the hands of the US or at the hands of Godzilla. The limitations of the Japanese military are stressed throughout. This is easily the most anti-american movie I've seen come out of Japan and is an equivalent to basically Red Dawn in its nationalistic jingoism if you understand the subtleties of how the Japanese criticize you (i.e., they're passive-aggressive about it). Anno is definitely calling for Japan to build up its own military and kick the US out.

So is it good?

Cartoon Varan.

>the first and only movie where he really comes off as intentionally malicious instead of just a savage beast

What about that time he was filled with vengeful Japanese souls and destroyed a crippled girl's hospital room just for the fun of it?

I should watch Varan the Unbelievable some day.

It's Japanese Nationalism rolled into a film

Jew pundit Ben Shapiro once said if Gawker doesn't like something, it means it's good.

Kotaku gave this movie a bad review, is the rule true here?

Kotaku didn't like it because it was nationalistic and pro-military, and they are liberal cucks who think Japan should completely abolish it's military.

Reposting the leaked images

Whoops didnt mean to reply

It's a complete reverse from the US Godzilla, which played on the 1980's-era Toho films that had Godzilla as a "our guy" who fought other monsters. Godzilla is pure evil in this film, the first and only movie where he really comes off as intentionally malicious instead of just a savage beast (original) or misunderstood (recent US remake).

I question your ability to compare this movie to any others. That whole paragraph is wrong.

> The US is depicted as a controlling force that is fucking over Japan. The Japanese gov in the movie has to decide destruction at the hands of the US or at the hands of Godzilla. The limitations of the Japanese military are stressed throughout.

That's pretty accurate tbf. Japan is in a delicate position.

That's alright, thanks for the (you)

On which account? The mid-era Toho movies definitely played up Godzilla as a "hero monster" who fought worse monsters. So did the US one. This movie by contrast has him act more maliciously and has him as an abomination made up of screaming corpses.

Anyone have the Godzilla 2014 artbook as a pdf or download?

also, these spoiler images are fuckin nuts

Personally (dont bully) you should take the Tohou route
>Godzilla 54
>Return of Godzilla (1984)
>Godzilla 2000 (1999)

After that, have some fun
>vs Hedorah
>vs Destroyah
>Ghidorah, the Three-headed Monster

Finish up with
>Godzilla: Final Warsfuck the haters, I loved this one

Show some love for this kaijubro. These highres pics are much appreciated, brother

>"nationalistic jingoism"

It's funny how any piece of media that presents a different perpsective from the American one is called negative names, while Hollywood blockbusters preach whatever they want and it's just "normal".

I don't think it's fair to call not wanting to be cucked by the US forever, "nationalistic jingoism".

The same way Germans got to be controlled by the use of the Nazi card.

You can't expect generations upon generations to bend over forever because of the previous ones mistakes.

>Ultraman project
Say what?

This shit is why I hate Japan

Tbh that wasn't even the strangest thing in that movie.

That looks like some really bad compositing there.

This is 110% Top-Tier special effects for a japanese live action movie, so that should really tell you something.

>it's also pretty anti-American
I get the impression that Anno is fairly anti-American. I seem to recall Misato saying something about Americans being "pushy", or something along those lines in NGE. Not to mention, the two American-made Evas are fuckups. Unit-04 "blows up", and Unit-03 becomes an Angel. Whatever, I still like the guy's work.

>The Japanese gov in the movie has to decide destruction at the hands of the US or at the hands of Godzilla.
That was one of the subplots in '84 too, only it was more tinted in Cold War paranoia.

The terribad graphics Japanese movies have stems from 2 things:

1.) They hate CGI

2.) They don't have the budget American studios have

these 2 combine into a storm of mediocrity.

Well in this movie the US literally tells the Japanese PM something along the lines of they have x amount of time to deal with Godzilla or they will nuke Japan.

Also the ending is fairly pessimistic, because if Godzilla unfreezes the US will immediately nuke Tokyo.

Let's post it again.

Anno is a HUGE Tokusatsu fan. At 23yo, he made a short half-hour film called Ultraman Returns (1983). He had Shinji Higuchi (a god among men at Japanese SpecialFX) doing the special effects direction. Since, he has always had a thing for Tokusatsu, Sentai & Kaiju properties. In more than a few interviews, he's talked about wanting to get his hands on Godzilla or Ultraman properties.

Kinda neat. Not sure how relevant it is to the thrad, but there ya go m80

Is 1954 US version as good as the original subtitle? I have easy access to it and it'll be a little trickier finding the subbed version so I'm wondering if I should just watch the dub. I know it adds in some American character who saves the world or something.

Today CGI looks worse tho, have you seen the hideous CGI of the 2014 movie? They even had to hide it with smog, this doesn't happen with the new movie.

Get subs. The 54 version is all about immersion & the atmosphere it builds. Not saying the dub is bad, but you should just muscle through the subs bro

Sorry about that. Finally found it
>youtu.be/kJZBt6wTNe0

So do we know who he is fighting in this? I have trouble believing that Anno wouldn't include any other monster

A few movies differ significantly in the US version.
Like the first movie. It cut some of the heavier and darker scenes and added an American journalist. It's actually treated as a totally different movie by some people. Which was a thing actually. American studios would buy footage of foreign films, add their own actors, make up a totally different plot and sometimes even borrow the costumes.

The greatest monster of all; Man.

He doesn't, Godzilla is the villain.

Alright I have no problem watching subs, I just haven't torrented anything in like 5 years and in Canada we get cease and desist orders now so I'm a bit paranoid, even if you are rarely sued for it.

Can you blame Japs for being scared that the US will nuke them whenever they feel like it? Come on.

I still own the torrent file I downloaded from isohunt long ago. A huge dump of kaiju movies. Some where still missing however. To get th original version of Varan I had to put together from three parts (which I did seamlessly) and I had to find a bootleg of the extremely rare Half-Human. I still can't find original cuts of King Kong Escapes and Dogora which pisses me off.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is so 70s kino

So just like 84/Godzilla Returns, in which Japan gets fucked by Godzilla destroying a Soviet sub and both US and USRR wanting to nuke Japan if they can't get rid of the thing.

It's actually not unrealistic, considering the menace this new Godzilla seems to represent to the whole world.

Apologise

Do you think Anno did the mo'cap for Godzilla himself, like this?

I never doubted him

There's a website that sells DVD-R copies of the R2s called SumoGorilla. I tried them a while back when I bought Godzilla vs Biollante.

So this movie did really well in Japan, but apparently the western fanbase is horrified by the spoilers and saying shit like GINO was better and stuff.

>King Kong Escapes and Dogora
Had both of those u/l'd to Mediafire before the site started going apeshit on everyone. Will look on my slave drives & see if I can find them again. If so, I'll add a trip & drop you a link

Why? Because America is evil in this one?

Very possible. When he actually gets into a project (like here with Godzilla) it's fucking magical. He flat out stated several times that he burnt himself out on NGE once it became a juggernaut. One interview he said something along the lines of him regretting it or wishing he had never done it because he ws now obligated to keep going due to a rabid fanbase

Ive only seen a few of the same people on Reddit complaining in basically every thread.

Nah, because of how fucking creepy and weird they made godzilla. They're complaining about the creepy shit like it having corpses embedded in its flesh or the energy beams it shoots everywhere and stuff like that.

I doubt we're getting sequels for the variation of Godzilla. Seems like a one-off honestly. When you think about it, what can they really do since he's killed off at the end and was pure, mindless evil on top of that?

America and basically every country is full of national jingoism if that makes you feel better

Alright so they're bitching because it's "not muh Godzilla"

It's a weird movie, very distinctly anno. Westerners are going to have a hard time with it.

Original .avi conversion for King Kong Escapes
>torrent.cd/f065810cb1da23a469213023b633afc892e01cf3/King Kong Escapes 1967 .avi.torrent

Original Dogora (64)
>btstorrent.cc/dogora-83-min-japanese-classic-sci-fi-mp4-tf3044944.html

Dogora II (hit translate & find the magnet link)
>ilcorsaronero.info/tor/54292/Dogora_Il_Mostro_Della_grande_Palude___Dogora__1964__XviD_Ita_Ac3_5_1_

Hope it helps m8

So, Anno dropped 4.44 and made Godzilla's Magnim Opus?

Basically. They're mad because its actually doing something new. Which is strsnge considering every other era has done new things. Heisei had mostly new villain monsters and the whole psychic stuff. Millennium had GMK anf Megaguirus and stuff.

If this movie was made by any company other than Toho it would be getting ripped apart and people would be furious.

I met him. Also saw some Skeletons from Argonauts, Medusa and the Cyclops from Sinbad.

So why is Godzilla so stiff in the trailers and footage that I've seen so far? He barely moves, hell his tail is more active than the rest of his body.

Does it have something to do with him being a giant zombified abomination composed of thousands of corpses?

So is he literally a zombie also if he's dead what about squeal's

Yeah there's no continuity between most of them.They don't like him because he's so hideous. Godzilla is usually like this cool-looking dragon dinosaur and not a monstrosity.

Yeah, I knew he was a big toku fan (probably because I'm a toku fan and not an anime fan) and I've seen Return of Ultraman. Didn't realize he was wanting to work on something Ultraman-related as of late.

I hope he gets to. Show up that awful-looking CG Ultraman film they're trying to push.

I'm not criticizing Japan for it. I'm not even American. For Japanese standards, it's very nationalistic though. The Japanese are very subtle about how they express such things and to see such a national statement by their part was surprising.

I'll see if these torrents are even alive because I'm sure I checked all of them before but thanks.

>When you wanna watch GMK again but you hate the Sony subtitles
Sure wish I still had the subtitle track that Jim Ballard made long ago.
Not that I could use it, since I don't have a computer with a DVD drive anymore.

Americans still like sympathetic Godzilla, both of their films have him as misunderstood. Japanese haven't really done that since the 80s

Maybe it's because the U.S. Doesn't have national trauma with city destruction

thanks senpai

wait a second u almost tricked me

So do I bro. If it happens, that will be the vehicle Anno uses to bridge the gap between big-budget kaiju & Evangelion's sensibilities' themes. Some of it supposedly shows in Godzilla, but he has a lot less wiggle room for creative narrative in this. What with it being a legacy property.

What's everyone's favorite Showa Godzilla movie?

Most of em are still seeded so it shouldn't be an issue (30 seeders on the first 2, 4 on the last). Cheers m8

vs Mechagodzilla is fun
Got a soft spot for monster zero since it was my first

Excluding the original, Godzilla versus Hedorah.

Not a problem, m8. I also had that massive kaiju collection from .bittorrent or isohunt. If I can find which slave drive they're on I'll happily up them to my seedbox for anyone wanting

>Mechagodzilla was dope
>Hedorah was great
>Destroyah was goat

That looks just awful. My interest has been driven into the ground between this stuff and the reviews I've read.

Besides the original, Terror of Mechagodzilla or Vs Hedorah

They will reboot and ignore this movie

But the reviews have all been great user

Th subbed "Terror of Mechagodzilla" is downright amazing. It's not only my favorite Showa Godzilla film, but my favorite Godzilla film of all.

I hope for Biollante cameo in next Hollywood Godzilla movies. Her design is awesome. Kong is already confirmed as enemy

>also if he's dead what about squeal's

One of the fused humans runs off and becomes a new zombie-zilla. Suddenly some edgy-reboot of another classic monster comes out of the blue to raid life on earth for absorption and Godzilla doesn't like this. Cue fight between the two with Godzilla consuming said monster and stealing its traits, only to return to the ocean after having its bio-fill.

I think of Godzilla vs. Hedorah as a subversion of Godzilla and a very negative film, showing Godzilla as incapable of stopping the bad guy until the ridiculous final fight, almost like a child's dream. Basically instead of the environmentalist message the film appears to have, it's saying that it's far too late to save our world and hope is a childlike delusion.

>One interview he said something along the lines of him regretting it or wishing he had never done it because he ws now obligated to keep going due to a rabid fanbase
lolwut, he's the one who decided to do Rebuild, to found his own animation company to make it, and who dedicated himself to making four whole movies

I mean, granted, he wanted to found his own studio and figured an EVA remake is the only financially secure project a foundling studio could take on, but still, he made such a meal of it for himself, that's on him.

>Gojira - Godzilla is a metaphor for nuclear weapons and a literal representation of nuclear holocaust
And everyone loves it

>Showa - Godzilla is either a savior/indifferent to humans or is bad. At one point he even flies around, another he's teaching his deformed and retarded adopted son
And most people still enjoyed them

>Heisei - Godzilla is an irradiated dinosaur and some of the human characters have psychic powers. Literally has a nuclear meltdown in the final film
And a lot of people liked it

>vs Megaguirus - survives a black hole
And no one had issues

>GMK - Godzilla is reborn from the spirits of dead Japanese soldiers, destroys anything in his path, even survives being blown up where only his heart remains
And is a fan-favorite film

>2014 - Godzilla is a radioactive monster from a fictional prehistoric era where giant monsters like him and the MUTOs existed
Most people enjoyed it even if they complained about the film itself

>Shin Gojira - is a destructive abomination that feeds off of living things and evolves into being the bipedal godzilla form
THIS ISN'T GODZILLA WHAT!?!?!?!?! WHY ARE THEY CHANGING HIM UP THAT TOTALLY HASN'T BEEN THE CASE FOR THE PREVIOUS 30 FILMS HE'S NEVER BEEN GIVEN NEW POWERS OR ANYTHING WAAAAAAAHHH