twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"meh"

3000 colossus vs 250,000 zerglings

Indians are pathetic, lmao

what movie is this?

Boo-ya

>140 vs at 57000
>140 side victory

how ? even with firearms against sticks there's gotta be a point when they get overwhelmed

Never overestimate those who wipe their asses with their bare hands.

what does that even mean?

the level of technology wasn't too different in 1507, tbqh, Indians certainly weren't brandishing sticks or spears

greatly designed western strongholds which need little man force to defend versus asians, known to be the worst military forces (except mongolians)

its just poorly written, even a bad commander would use formations and use lances to utterly destroy the cavalry
this was written by someone who has 0 knowledge about war or strategy

>Dignity
lmao

>asians, known to be the worst military forces (except mongolians)
what

1. they were flanked
2. half the army was moving into the city
3. the rear of the army is ill prepared for an assault
4. it was day so orcs were almost blind

I wish the witch king's army had some warg cavalry or something. those furry little bastards were the best

Australia truly is the worst country.

They don't poo in the loo.

they had some but not in any number

they had mumakils who came just a little bit too late

Tolkien fought in WWI

what's your question

Not him, but Asians are know to send more men to the grinder to die in vain than anyone else, not even the Soviets could beat them in that category.

How did they get those giant man-moths across the river anyway....?

large bridges

it was 6000 cav vs 10000 infantry. and shit like that has happened hundreds of times throughout history. I think you really underestimate the power of a cavalry charge.

also aren't Rohan men a special "human breed" of super strong warriors like Numenors ?

It's based on an historical event.

140 000 turks routed after a polish cavalry charge from like 18k winged hussars.

ok mr armchair general, but you should know that orcs in tolkiens stories were horribly outmatched fighters, cowards and weaklings.

and in the book they were running away the moment the Rohirrim arrived at the fields of pelennor.

Orcs are also described by Tolkien as weaker and smaller than men

this was the largest cavalry charge in history. Jan Sobiesky the 3rd lead the charge, and Christianity utterly crushed Islam that day.

amerifat education.

> shit like that has happened hundreds of times throughout history
dear god you are a fucking retard. real life is not like hollywood tells you

not him but that guy is clearly an idiot.

Did you forget the part where Sauron sent a dark cloud ahead of the orcs so they wouldn't be weak from the sun.

No way brah, no way. That shitty ruin Sean Beans bro had to defend was without a bridge.

Probably.

>polish cavalry charge of 18k winged hussars

not really, it were around 100k turks and the german-polish relief troops attacking them in the side were at about 70k.

34k of that was cavalry, which only 14k were polish, the remaining 20k were german.

also during the charge, about 10k defenders of the city sallied out of the city to meet the turks on the field and catch them aback.

They can swim, or find a river crossing. They're huge, so finding a spot to cross wouldnt be too hard. Elephants do it all the time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_(warfare)

scroll down to the "notable charges" section, then hang yourself.

Discipline, well-drilled gunners and marksmen, and a very strong defensive position (island/peninsula).

Portuguese ships had side cannons. They could just fire from a safe distance while Indians still fought naval warfare through ramming and boarding.

You see, this is a good explanation.

Low five for you.

i thought it was the battle from got were stannous loses, not lotr, sorry

meant to quote

>Britain's animal wasn't even from Britain until the 21st century where Britain became an African country

The Turk general was a retard that decided to continue attempting to breach the city while simultaneously fighting the relief force sent to defeat him

The bombs he planted under the city were defused by the city defenders though, so his larger army was stuck fighting the relief force and preparing to storm the city without knowing their bombs were defused

Then the Polish cavalry came, and once the city defenders saw that, they left the city and also attacked the Turks, so the Turkish army was being attacked by two sides then received a third attack from the largest cavalry charge in history, and at that point any Turk who was still alive fled even though they still had superior numbers

Only to piss it all away by being cucks

Bravo white people bravo

>and at that point any Turk who was still alive fled even though they still had superior numbers

Can you imagine seeing 14k of cavalry coming your direction, I don't think it's even imaginable how many that is and the noise they would make, I too would run.

No the army in rotk was 250000
Even at 125000 odds seem insurmountable.

It's because that's what happened in the book. Realistically the whole army breaking and a mass retreat would be very unlikely. Most of the orcs wouldn't have been affected by it for some time and even if the lines charged did break the entire army disintergrating is unlikely.

Unless orcs are complete shit. In which case why didnt they break as soon as they came under missle fire. Whole thing didn't make sense. No army would park the bulk of thier forces within range of enemy fire. They would set up a siege camp, construct seige equipment. Assault several times to test and tire defenders before striking at weak point and moving troops in for a final push.

( source ) most medieval seiges ending with an assault

Soooo half as many troops versus 6 times as much cavalry in a possibly very different situation.

>believing a wiki article

Let me guess, you get all your news from Sup Forums?

>mad cockroach

Some people right.

Glad to see there are anons with some sense in here at least.

I dont think there is any historical examples of any of this magnitude.

>under estimating rousing speeches.

They only broke in the movie. Book numbers are closer to 80,000-100,000.

What you're describing happened in the book. Mordor set up camp outside of the siege engines in the city, basically just flung flaming shot, killed prisoners and shit to reduce morale. Eventually they assault since Sauron is impatient in wanting to retrieve the ring and kill the bearer.

1. Mordor takes shitloads of casualties trying to assault via tower, ladders and rams.
2. Orcs only continue assault cause they are fucking terrified of the Witch King
3. Break through gate, confrontation between Gandalf and Witch King, Rohan arrives and Witch King fucks off. His absence, plus first rising of the sun in weeks panics the Orcs.
4. Rohan charges the flank and all the soldiers in the city (15,000-20,000) start mustering to sally out
5. Rohan routs the 18,000 Haradrim, Orcs on that flank rout as well
6. Witch King returns and kills Theoden, is killed by Merry and Eowyn
7. Rohan bogged down, Gondor is trying to cut a path through to them, but too many enemies in the way
8. Command goes to Gothmog, who can't instill the same terrified obedience amongst Orcs
9. Aragorn arrives with 4,000 infantry, most of the enemy routs, except for the best Haradrim and Easterling soldiers left.

Better question is what the fuck were they thinking at battle of the black gate.

>allowing army of huge superiority to encircle you.
>not forming battle lines.
> not creating a choke point at the entrance of the gate itself reducing enemies numerical advantage and allowing your superior troops to fight them and rotate out to recouperate.

Basic stratagy. Even i know this.

>forgetting about based prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth

Zerging doesn't always work.

>describes events in book
> says eowyn killed witch king

Spotted the liar.

>No the army in rotk was 250000
I haven't read the books in a long time, but still entirely possible. Alexander the great routed a persian army that was between 50,000 and 200,000 strong with a cavalry charge.

the discrepancy in numbers is ancient recordings vs modern historians.

You are dumb and also stupid. Do you do this on purpose or does it just come naturally to you? Read the post again you idiot moron fool.

Alexanders army was 40000. Armies are almost always the smaller number in historical sources.

Also macedonian cavalry was limited as they still used the phalanx at that time period in the mediteranian.

Still not even close to the same ratio if we are talking about your numbers on the highest estimates.

Real life isn't a video game user very rarely do military commanders attempt to win by sending wave after wave to chip away the enemy that's how you get mutinies

I did.

You still say eowyn killed the witch king.

Read your post again.

True, without them rallying everyone the assault would have succeeded long before Theoden and friends even got there. Plus they were probably the finest cavalry in Middle Earth at the point.

>Witch King returns and kills Theoden, is killed by Merry and Eowyn

> WITCH KING.
>KILLED BY EOWYN.

they needed the dark lard to cahm farth

It was poorly represented. In the book there were giant slag-heap hills that orcs poured out of like ants. And huge Easterling forces swung from miles around to flank them as well.

Yeah movie tactics were fucking retarded. Books had them form up on two steep hills, surrounded by some deep streams. They formed shield walls with archers in the centre, and had the cavalry they brought harassing the flanks of the enemy. They were holding easily til a fuck load of trolls started pulverising the lines. But then the ring melted and everyone was fine. Plus there were 7,000 soldiers in the books, the picture looks like a fraction of that.

regardless of estimates the point im making with referencing gaugamela is that the macedonian cavalry routed the persian army during the charge. the persians weren't slaughtered or beaten in combat, they simply fled. alexanders pike phalanxes held one of the flanks that the persians attacked, and that part of the persian army was run down and wiped out. but the sheer terror of seeing thousands of men on horses charging at you is reason enough to assume that pelenor fields was entirely possible. I can't find a video but I remember watching an episode of deadliest warrior where they tested what it would feel like to defend against a cavalry charge, they had a guy stand infront of about 30 men on horses and measured his heart rate as they charged at him, needless to say he was scared shitless.

Don't forget the greeks also suffered significant casualties during that battle and the bulk of the persian army were untrained consrcipts where as alexanders forces were veterans of numerous battles.

Jej.

>greeks
this triggers the balkans

>hackson changed aragorn's role from providing a relatively small boon to gondor and a large morale impact on both sides to a deus ex machina which literally sweeps the battlefield

Yeah i believe it was supposed to be like 300 dudes in the movie.

>MUH THERMOPOLEEEEE.

I'd rather have Persian conscripts than fucking orcs to be honest. Rohirrim were fucked afterwards, lost 1/3 of their men and 2/3 of their horses, which is terrible for a "winning" army.

Are you implying Merry killed him by shanking him in the leg?

Neat. Why didn't they do that?

Canons. bro

Now Euros are welcoming in their invaders with open arms and open legs. What a waste. At least Poland is still based.

the far right rises

That's retarded. I'm pretty sure they say 7,000, and then have that shot of thousands of them march out of Minas Tirith.

Not that guy, but without Merry and his barrow sword Eowyn would be paste. Without Eowyn Merry would have just cowered. That's why I wrote killed by Merry and Eowyn.

I know, I'm defending you.

Don't doubt it but the persians had experiance fighting cavalry and routes are one of the resasons why armies where formed into groups. One group routing was less likely to cause a route than part of a large group routing causeing the rest to join in. Mitigating retreats was one of the main focuses of ancient warfare.

Just saying it would be a large number of contributing factors and the roughly 1500 macedonian cavalry charging the persian army alone would have probably resulted in a loss. Realistically i think anyway. Never know.

I dunno, I would have loved to see those Easterling costumes again, and in battle too.

I conquer but i'm pretty sure legolas says 300 in the directors cut. And from that shot it doesn't seem innaccurate.

But as other anons have said the movie differs heavily from the books in that battle

Yeah. Parking ships out of enemy range and barraging them into surrender was a common tactic of portuguese privateers at the time. Looting all that sweet barbarian treyshure.

My bad man.

They were in the Extended Edition. For about 3 seconds overall. Fucking Jackson.

I remember that, it was at Helms Deep when they're all putting on their armour.

Op here. Just checked in on this thread to see how many yous i got.

How did this not turn into a meme thread?

Litterally no eagle posting.
Step up the game lads.

It's night time tv. Where my aussies at?

>18k winged hussars
what the fuck

Where do you get your news?

I'm talking about rotk.

Meme dwarf gimli says.
>Certainty of death. Small chance of succes. Watr we waitn 4.

>2016

>annons still arguing about shitty movie from 2003.

WHAT MOVIE IS THIS

sword of the kings: part three

Those 140 guys must've had the time of their lives

>mfw

The Poles are doing just fine.

It's the rest of Europe whose fucking retarded

Lions used to be in Europe.

"Asiatic Hordes" meme in the wild!

Soviet and Chinese combined arms tactics didn't real

Yeah, Tolkein orcs are filipino sized.