Thoughts on Star Trek Beyond?

Thoughts on Star Trek Beyond?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/30/friday-box-office-star-trek-plunges-69-ghostbusters-topping-100m/#7b9ef6436736
youtube.com/watch?v=drarLbzqdAA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mediocre. into darkness was better.

shit

I liked the action.

I thought the villain and his McGuffin were both terrible. Criminal underutilization of the acting talents of Idris Elba to turn him into a self-mutating alien negro vampire with a grudge that makes no sense.

Also, I know this is a Trekkie complaint, but this entire plot would have been different if literally anyone, including the writers had remembered that antimatter fuel pods are a thing that exist.

Swarm of ships heading at you? Make them chase you. Eject an antimatter fuel pod and set its containment to fail on command, or just shoot it with the ship's phasers. It's basically an antimatter mine at that point.

Or Krall could have just used a regular bomb or toxin. His McGuffin weapon could be stopped from spreading by an airtight door. I think he was overestimating how powerful it is, especially with how slowly it seemed to spread around. It seems like a bomb like the one Kahn had the guy use early in Into Darkness would have been a better option to destroy Yorktown.

2009 > Beyond > Into Darkness

I really liked the Yorktown station, cool concept

>into darkness was better
Please explain yourself.

best trek beaming in

Way better than the other two reboot movies. The characters felt much closer to their TOS versions. I actually bought Kirk as a captain and not just as a dumb kid.

so all issues with future-tech in TOS and TNG being 'of their time' aside, is the alternate reality more advanced: because fucking hell yorktown was huuuuge

also i think it really suffers from being a threequel more than anything. which is a shame

Better villain

Star Trek 5/10
Into Darkness 3/10
Beyond 6/10

I really liked that shot of the Enterprise travelling at warp

You'll get as much out of playing a star trek video game as watching these movies. Or making whooshing noises while flying your hand around.

the 09 trek was something you could take anyone to see and they could enjoy it because it was a fresh new reboot

Into Darkness had Scotty somehow sneaking into Area 51 but was otherwise enjoyable

Beyond is really really really pretty, but feels like a tv episode

like out of the three the only ones i'd rewatch on their own are the first and maybe Beyond

>but feels like a tv episode
That's what I liked about it

i suppose it's just leftover bile from the bad, awful, no good tng movies

i mean if it's a big expensive movie but feels like a tv show episode, why not just go direct to streaming or something

Better volcano.

Now this is comfy trek

Best of the 3 so far, enjoyed them getting absolutely BTFO in the first act, enjoyed the interactions between the crew. Enjoyed a couple of the improvisations to get out of trouble. Liked how they dealt with Nimoy's death, really classy

The final 10 minutes became a bit generic Hollywood blockbuster but meh

too much l.d.s
top kek

>a grudge that makes no sense
He wanted to regain purpose in life because he found himself in a world where he was no longer necessary (somewhat similar to the motivations of the villains in Star Trek VI).
How do you people fail to understand a villain that's this simple especially when the theme of the movie is basically stated outright?

Way better than the first two. It felt more like Trek- you can tell Simon Pegg isn't a guy who just pretends to be a Trek fan and he actually bothered watching more than just Wrath of Khan 5 times times in a row before writing the movie.

It's still an action movie for sure, but at least this didn't have offensively stupid things like a character screaming Khan again and magic blood that cures death.

Surprisingly good. Way better than the last two. Awesome sense of scale, action, classic feel.

>180M budget
>120M box office
So Trek going back into hibernation confirmed?

Admiral Marcus was certainly a better villain, but he was wasted and underused and it doesnt redeem an overall film that languishes in attempts at twists. Beyond is exciting, consistent and cohesive.

The writing felt pretty undercooked. Jayla's arc was unconnected to the other themes, and Edison's motives and means were as murky as Elba's delivery.

I liked the spectacle of it though, I enjoy when they find excuses to place the soundtrack in the universe of the film.

Liked it but forgettable
Needed more alien waifu
Why didnt Stringer Bell remember where his old ship was?

Mediocre. Every time I try to think of excuses to like it I remember the RATM montage. Lin's FnF shit was seeping through. Fuck off.
McGuffin was abysmally weak after so much setup. They could do anything with the device but they opted for dude nanomachines lmao. In fact, as the finale clearly showed, the station was incapable of defending itself against the bees on their own, so what the fuck did Krall need the weapon for in the first place?
Pegg literally wrote himself an alien qt. Come on man, I want an alien qt as much as anyone else, but that's just low.
As other guys have said, Idris Elba was extremely underused. Also, he started off being superhuman in strength and agility but at the end Kirk managed to beat him 1v1. Although now that I think about it, it could be because he was back in human form.
I love Karl Urban but he was the weakest link this time I think. Half of the back-and-forth with Spock fell flat.
Chris Pine seems to actually get better every movie though. Maybe because he's getting older and looks less like a boy now. Come to think of it, 09 was 7 years ago. Holy shit.

I feel like Elba's character knew the bees would fail. They have a terrible weakness. He needed two things from the crew, the item and enough human DNA to absorb so he could look human and sneak into yorktown. He served in war, he would know his strengths and weaknesses

agreed, he was a pretty good antagonist all in all a lot better than "Khan" and "Oh yeah, Eric Bana *was* in a Trek flick"

Really liked it. It felt like Trek far more than the first two. The villain was lame but overall it had more sci-fi than the 2nd

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/30/friday-box-office-star-trek-plunges-69-ghostbusters-topping-100m/#7b9ef6436736

>Star Trek Beyond dropped a brutal 69% on its second Friday, earning $6.75 million yesterday to bring its eight-day cume to $88.5m. Believe it or not, that’s not the worst Friday-to-Friday drop for a Star Trek film, as Star Trek: Nemesis plunged an insane 83% on its second Friday due to terrible word-of-mouth and brutal competition from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Of course, that film’s reception killed the Next Generation film franchise.

>Star Trek dropped 56% on its first Friday while Star Trek into Darkness fell 53%. Chalk it up to general audience disinterest the third time out and not too much buzz from a relatively solid debut last week. We can expect a $23.8 million weekend (-60%) for a $105.5m ten-day cume for the $185m Paramount/Viacom Inc. offering. That’s smaller than the 62% drop for Star Trek Insurrection and the 78% drop for Star Trek Nemesis, but that’s not exactly good company. And Star Trek Beyond won’t have the Christmas holiday to cushion the blow like those two did.

Is JJ Trek finally dead?

>Is JJ Trek finally dead?

It's Lin Trek now maybe, and it's better off for it.

It is disconcerting this film's not doing better, as the franchise is finally exciting again. But I didnt plan on seeing it either and went on a whim. Anyway the next film is confirmed with Thor as Papa Kirk again.

Will I understand what's going on if I've never watched a single piece of Star Trek media ever?

don't crucify me

At least watch 2009 on Netflix you ADD faggot

I hope so. Beyond was... beyond shitty.

It's basically a snorefest with shitty quips.

Hoenstly, it's made for people like you with things for the fans. They even made this one so you don't have to see the 2009 or Into Darkness films. It IS the reboot everyone deserved. If you like sci-fi action, GO SEE IT. It's the best sci-fi action movie in the last few years.

You won't understand a large plot point regarding Spock without watching ST09

SABOTAGE

Watch 2009. You'll enjoy Beyond more.

The first trailer, everyone's first glimpse of the movie, made it look like a fucking affront to the sensibilities of Star Trek.

Regardless of the quality of the actual final product, I wouldn't be surprised if those trailers are what screwed the movie over, that and the nonsense that is Into Darkness. So many Trek fans have lost faith in the franchise, and while these problems might not bother normies so much, the novelty of "watchable" Star Trek has probably worn off for them.

youtube.com/watch?v=drarLbzqdAA

Why didn't Krall just turn down the oxygen system? He didn't need the toxic gas super weapon for anything

09 still best

Franchises and success are a really interesting conversation for me. The previous film really dictates general interest for the next. X-men 3 had no business being as successful as it was, but in 3 years lots of people saw X2 and wanted to see the follow up. Into Darkness surely killed peoples interest in the Trek franchise, but Beyond is easily the better film. Marketing be damned if your previous product soured them though.

And the weapon really doesn't seem to much of a superweapon. It's pretty fucking pointless actually.

It isn't on Netflix anymore, at least not in America

Why?

ST 09, ID, and Beyond are the best films in the entire franchise.

Most of Star Trek is liberal nu-male trash but these reboots are actually manly and anyone who dislikes them is a fucking pussy.