Pan's Labyrinth

So was it all just her imagination or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenanarchy.com/2006/12/pans-labyrinthinterview-with-guillermo-del-toro.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yup.

Yes. That bullet hole was pretty real tho

GOAT movie.

Yes, it was her imagination.

That bottle part was fucking brutal, didn't expect that.

Imagine if Del Toro had continued on the Hobbit.

Could have been great.
Different from lotr, but great on it's own as the children's book it is.

Instead we got a half'n'half

Yep. All those fantasy elements were just bait to get audiences interested in some boring war fought in Uruguay 100 years ago

No they exist

Then how the fuck did she get out of her locked room to get her half brother?

No correct answer here. The film is meant to be ambiguous. It's what makes the movie so good.

However, the use of a magic chalk door to get away from the baddie points to the fantasy being real, though, along with a few other things.

You should read Del Toros explanation a bit over halfway in this interview about wether the events were real or just imagination:
screenanarchy.com/2006/12/pans-labyrinthinterview-with-guillermo-del-toro.html

don't forget the freaky plant she put under the bed to heal her mother

It's a fucking commie sympathizing movie

>some boring war fought in Uruguay 100 years ago

Wasn't it in Spain?

yep, but it's trendy to be ignorant

The movie would be great if only it didn't glorify those communist savages. But yes, it was her imagination.

wrong. people with no imagination (aka normies and tryhard edgelord reddit faggots) will say it was all in her imagination whereas true patriciones will understand that it is a fantasy movie and that it all really occured in the context of the film.

That is a possible failing of the film as the tying together of Pan's myth and her adventures boils down to "it was all a dream but those Nazis were bastards"

I suppose the idea is fascism was a conflict of science and brute force against magical folk worlds,

but, it didn't quite tack it together as well as it could have

welcome to Pan's kingdom , but your dead

better would have been little girl dies and the Pan demon is the one to avenge her ...

Weren't they fighting fascism though?

>Pan is a demon and will avenge her
kek...
I think it was all real...only plebs like to think it was her imagination.

>wrong.
que?

quote from del toro in the article i posted:
"The film is a Rorschach test of where people stand."

So you literally said nothing that I hadn't already pointed to.

Also:
"If the movie works as a piece of storytelling, as a piece of artistic creation, it should tell something different to everyone. It should be a matter of personal discussion"

So even if del toro stands by it being real and not a figment of imagination, it is still meant to be ambigious and open for interpretation.

Just a friendly reminder that Franco was right and he did nothing wrong.

Yes yes, only leftist authoritarianism is allowed.

>commies are ok if they are fighting fascists

'no'

Wrong guy died at the end

Seriously
I got fucking mad when the commie bitch said "HE WILL NEVER KNOW YOU EXISTED"
Wish she was quartered

>Boring war fought
Dude, first of all, that war was basicly the beggining of IIWW, russians, americans, nazis, italians, all helped and fought in their respective sides, resulting in the victory of the fascists. It was all but boring.
Second of all, not uruguay man, it was the fucking SPANISH civil war.
Google it or something dumbass.

>I got fucking mad when the commie bitch said "HE WILL NEVER KNOW YOU EXISTED"

If I'd have known the movie was that pro commie going into it I never would have watched it, shame really.

>Anti-Francoist movie

Into the trash it goes

The communists were the ones who destabilised the country and created disorder that allowed the facists to take power ironically enough.

Paga tus deudas Juan.

>Implying I speak that trash """"language""""

That's an easy explanation that dismisses the subjectivity of reality. I like to think of it as a beautiful illustration of ambiguous, overlapping fantasies projected onto, and underlying everything. There are threads which tie together individuals' consciousnesses which do not lie on a universal level, and there are some which are mostly unique. Some people can tell the difference, most cannot. The little girl was not the only character in the movie living in a unique reality, but it was mostly a narrative from her perspective. There are several stories written by Arthur Machen–the author whose works this movie is profoundly based upon–that deal with this subject matter.

> being a fanboy of foreign dictators
Pathetic desu

No ragrets, pinko

Fresh mayms

Franco did nothing wrong.

Wtf, I hate Falangists now.

see to my mind, it didn't come across as pro-communist so much as it highlighted the issues with fascism; namely that a national state needs to give to its people as much as they do to it in order to create a legacy, rather than pursuing the perpetuation of itself as the only goal.

you saw throughout the film that captain vidal had bought into the idea of this cult of personality, and the pursuit of creating his own legacy at the expense of its people. however at the end, he realises that it is ultimately the people who will decide on his legacy, as they are the ones that will endure after he dies.

throughout history all totalitarian states, be they left or right leaning, have forgotten to be benevolent in their dictatorship and built themselves up at the expense of the people rather than working with them, and because of that they haven't survived. that's what i got from the way the film was presented

The officer was a fucking great antagonist for this movie. Well written/acted, threatening and with a realistic line of conduct and motivations.

Republicans BTFO

>inb4 retard who thought I meant GOP

>GOP
The what?

According to Del Toro, it was real. But it was left a little bit ambiguous.

But a movie/book/whatever doesn't need validation from the author(s). It's all about what the viewer/reader thinks (within reason, of course).

To me, it could be all in her head and it makes the movie more powerful emotionally that way.

Grand Old Party

criterion version comes out in like 3 months

anyone read this?