‘Ghostbusters’ Director Says Movie Is A Success

huffingtonpost.com/entry/ghostbusters-director-calls-movie-a-success_us_57a22ff1e4b0104052a0c0a5

This movie was a SUCCESS, you shitlords!

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html
youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PAUL FEIG DOES IT AGAIN!

How is $160M+ worldwide not "successful"?

It needs to break past it's production plus marketing cost and then pass a sequel threshold for Sony executives to greenlight a Ghostbusters franchise.

Paul Feig himself claimed that threshold was 500 million though its likely somewhat larger than that.

a bunch of kids dressed up as ghostbusters = success

Sup Forums BTFO again tbhfam

>cast and crew already celebrating for breaking even
>i-it's not a success! it can't be! check out these figures I just pulled from my ass

lmao

he's spinning it as a success relative to how much negativity was thrown at it.

DELETE THIS!!!!!!

“A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low" - Paul Feig

vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html

But it literally hasn't reached past it's marketing budget yet.

Like congrats shill, you've made it past the first checkpoint which is recouping its production cost.

Now you need to get past marketing and then break through enough of a threshold in order to justify a sequel.

>Success

By what measure though?

Obviously it's a financial disaster and loathed by fans.

But it's got a positive Rotten rating, and an unintentional side effect was making SJW's look like complete retards. So that's something to be happy about.

>won't even make make money

I-it's a success you mean men!

>worldwide
>$160m
>suicide squad will kill off the last of its screens, it's not playing anymore at my local cinema

really makes you think

i dont wanna see it. fuck your ads, fuck your success.

>BUT IT NEEDS TO MAEK $7,500,000,000 TO BE A SUCCESS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

THE POWER OF BOX OFFICE POISON COMPELS YOU

>How is losing money not "successful"?

See, when you create a product to earn money, you want to get more money for creating the product than you spent on making it.

Shit's some crazy deep economics yo.

Anyway, it's a shame this wasn't as "successful" as ID4:2, Warcraft, A Chinese Mermaid Comedy, London Has Fallen or Ice Age: Continental Drift or Pixels.

But at least it made a tiny bit more than God's Of Egypt!

>JUST BECAUSE A FILM IS A FINANCIAL DISASTER DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT A FINANCIAL SUCCESS

What do obese women with hairy armpits mean by this?

>To boot, the movie hasn’t exactly been a box-office smash. (...) the film has barely recouped its reported $144 million production budget by claiming $158.3 million in domestic and international tickets so far.

Did you even read the article? Even the fucking Huffpo agrees the movie has been far from successful, but Feig deems it a success because he saw a bunch of pictures of young girls with proton packs and that apparently really touched him.

It's disgusting that a male-gaze centric, gun fetishsizing and racist pile of shit based on a completely unknown comic book like Suicide Squad will do in one weekend more than Ghostbusters, a film featuring ugly women being unfunny based on one of the most recognizable brand names in cinema history, will do in it's entire run.

Someone (probably the Patriarchy or the Illuminati) has to answer for this.

everytime someone changes the goalposts and says it will now be x amount to break even

No they don't.

But I like your meme-ing.

I've done it myself from time to time.

>fury road
>kino with an interesting take on females in an apocalyptic world
>barely broke even and won multiple oscars
>no sequel

really made me think

Did you consider Fantastic 4 last year a success? Because it made more money than Ghostbusters and only had a 120 million budget.

W-wait, Sup Forums told me that movies nowadays spend 56464 trillion dollarydoos in marketing!!!!!!!!!!!! This can't be happening!!!

Paul Feig has said, since prior to it's release, that it needs 500 million to be a success.

The movie cost 150 million to make. According to Sony 100 million to market.

Ergo 250 million.

Studios get roughly half of the box office.

Therefore 500 million to break even.

Pixels was considered a flop by the same studio that produced Ghostbusters.

Pixels made more money than Ghostbusters will make, and cost nearly half as much.

>kids these days think losing money is successful

Top kek. The movie was shit, and it bombed. You and Fieg are only lying to yourselves

>Feig says they need 500m to be successful
>won't make nearly that much. Not even close
>B-but I've received some nice tweets from women saying their daughters liked it! It's not about the money

Keep moving those goal posts. The movie flopped.

No one has changed the goalposts man.

We here at Sup Forums have some basic understanding of the corporate politics in Hollywood.

So we know that Sony is desperate for their own cinematic universe and they might go all in with a sequel.

But it would utterly break them, especially with no access to rising middle class market of China.

Fury road made 380 million worldwide on a 150 million budget. That's not exactly great, but it's something Paul Feig can only dream of.

They either don't get it or are in denial. Just let them be, they know nobody cares about their shit film

HOLY SHIT Sup Forums, Sup Forums, /r/kotakuinaction, /r/the_donald, misogynist and trump supporters completely and utterly

BTFO

What can't be happening?

You're talking about financial success. The article confirms it was a financial failure.

It was however successful in creating staged photographs of young female children at the Premiere wearing Ghostbusters costumes, the measure of success the article and Feig are discussing.

>The new “Ghostbusters” has been a hit in one respect, though: It’s recruited a bunch of new fangirls. Director Paul Feig told The Huffington Post he’s received “thousands and thousands” of supportive messages on social media since the movie debuted.

So Sup Forums is quite correct in stating that the film is a financial failure.

What they didn't count on though was the great success in generating thousands of positive tweets by women with children.

And to be honest, if you were a shareholder in Sony, what would you really prefer to be paid in?

I am not gonna watch it
#absolutelybtfo

The marketing budget for any blockbuster movie is conservatively estimated half the production budget. In this case, that's about 70 to 80 million. Can you do the math? 144 + 70. Does that equal 160? If not, then the movie unfortunately hasn't broken even yet, under the most conservative estimates.

>before the flick is released feig says it needs to do $500 million to be a success
>spectacularly fails and won't even reach half that
>"i-it was a s-success everyone"

I would wait on the bluray sales and distribution rights that a faithful fanbase would grant of course. Do you remember how MoS absolutely BTFOd Iron Man 3 in the bluray market? Something like that could happen now

I bet Feig was touched by an uncle. That's why he's such a numale beta faggot

absolute man babys

why do you hate women so?

White men in general I'd say.

They measure a businesses success based on money, not on how many positive tweets it generates.

This is why they are LOSING.

Pic related.

What do you mean tweets arent worth more than money?

Do you remember how Man Of Steel could never sell enough Blu-Ray's to come close to touching Iron Man 3's over one billion dollar earnings?

I'd like to see Ghostbusters: The Movie No One Gives A Shit About suddenly somehow become the largest blu-ray shipping film in history so it can cover it's budget.

it still hasn´t even beaten Fantastic Four and that was a giant failure

also keep in mind that Ghostbusters had a 24 million higher budget

>Paul Feig himself claimed that threshold was 500 million

fucking kidding me. why would they take such a gamble?

they´re just mad because tfw no gf and only women they know are their moms

>Huffington post

It's not like the owner is a FEMALE or anything

Because I'm a capitalist pig who measures success by the quality of the product and it's earnings, as opposed to it's political agenda.

I'm ashamed of it too, trust me. I always wished I could enjoy poorly made products and give money to giant corporations simply because of the gender or race of people they employed.

I've just been raised in a disgusting society that places an emphasis on results over intentions.

Fuck my parents. Especially my white father.

Explain more

I googled this, and it looks like MoS made about 65 million in Blu-Ray sales, while IM3 made about 56 million.

The bar for BTFO seems to get lower each day.

cos muh womyn

>How is $160M+ worldwide not "successful"?

Because success is context-relative. A less expensive movie can be deemed massively successful with the same box office take that a more expensive one is deemed a terrible flop. Ghostbusters cost as much as Feig's last three films combined, which sets the bar rather high.

How sad is it when you can't tell the trolls from the actual faggots anymore. I can see some brightly colored hair, land whale actually doing this

>Thousands of downvotes on Youtube

>Thousands of positive tweets

>Movie is a huge flop

Have we scientifically proven the youtube dislike bar to be a more stable currency than tweets?

I'd say we have.

Time to let /biz/ know.

For some reason they were dumb enough to think Ghostbusters actually had cultural cache in 2016, and they also made the common mistake of assuming their female-empowerment nonsense actually had an audience.

Protip: no matter the medium, straight white men are the ones spending most of the money, and most of them don't give a fuck about a female driven comedy.

but that's insane, has there ever even been a comedy film to make 500 globally?

>huffington post

Because even movies with this kind of budget that make 300+ million are considered flops. Just look at Ice Age, Tarzan or Independence Day, they all underperformed terribly.

Expensive blockbuster movies that make less than 200 million are very rare and generally considered huge bombs. The only other recent ones other than Ghostbusters that come to mind are Fant4stic and the BFG.

There is a sequal im the works, Wasteland pretty sure it did decent enough plus since the last one was praised by critics and by word of mouth it's bound to do better.

its SONY

They didn't think it was a gamble.

Feig + McCarthy generally have huge multipliers, taking 30 odd million dollar films into the 200 million dollar or more range.

They just figured you take that, slap on the easy-money-guarantee of the Ghostbusters logo and multiply the profit by the increased budget and they'd have a Jurassic World style hit.

Plus they genuinely believed, like pic related, that internet feminists/SJW's are a huge majority who will actually show up and support the films they demand to be made.

Also: Sony.

Lol and they actually think this is a good thing! This womynsbusters fiasco is exposing what a fraud these regressives are. It's so refreshing

Think about this;

A Renny Harlin movie starring Johnny Knoxville that cost 30 million to make just had a 60 million dollar opening weekend.

Ghostbusters, a massive commercial brand, managed less than 50 million.

This is like finding out McDonald's has been spending 5 dollars to make their burgers and selling them for 4 dollars.

Hangover 1 & 2 each did about half a bill

The highest grossing horror comedies of all time are Ghostbusters (1984) and Scary Movie. Both COMBINED made less than 500 million worldwide.

After being trashed by the critics and making almost a half of IM3 box office? Fucking impressive if you ask me, BTFO used perfectly well

If this is true, Feig needs to kill himself

Context on that picture? I feel like I am missing something.

youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8

They banked on the brand being enough of a draw for some, and the gender-swap to be enough to draw in new crowds. The problem was they started shitting on a chunk of people who liked the brand, and so I'm sure people like me chose not to see it for that very reason

Every time

Literally no black people?

Adjusted for inflation, the original Ghostbusters did over 800 million.

Deadpool, this year alone, pulled in nearly 800 million.

Going by adjusted-for-inflatoin;

>Beverly Hills Cop
700 mil

>Home Alone
525 mil

>Tootsie
590 mil

>Blazing Saddles

920mil

>Austin Powers 2
490 mil

You also have to factor in certain things.

So, for instance, adjusted for inflation, the O.G. Ghostbusters made 864 million.

It also only cost 87 million.

I really can't fathom how a 9 million dollar difference is ever BTFO when dealing with blockbuster-budgeted movies.

>Less than 500 million world wide

If you adjust for inflation, they did over a billion worldwide.

If we don't adjust for inflation, I should be able to buy a mansion on a shelf stackers salary.

Lmao that damage control. Feig is fucking done and Sony one giant leap closer to ending their movie division

I still don't believe there's this massive contingent of Ghostbusters fans.
I think if it had just come out without the "you're a misogynist if you don't support this movie" it would've flopped because no one would've cared at all.

Ghostbusters isn't Star Wars or even Back to the Future or Die Hard.

With the drama surrounding it, suddenly you have every youtube personality and internet news site taking a side, whereas most of them wouldn't have made videos or articles about it because without controversy, there's just not enough of a legacy for Ghostbusters.

There's the movie from 30 years ago, the sequel no one likes, a cartoon that very few people remember, and none of the people who would remember any of those things are who they were even aiming the new movie at from the start.

If they had just stuck to "rah rah girls can bust too" and ignored the negativity, that would've just appealed to tumblr sjw types who are too young to have any real opinion.

Feig must be desperate not to be thrown into "movie jail". How bad is it?

its trolls newfag

>you in charge of using BTFO correctly

Sony is a great dying beast of slowness, much like Japan's population decline itself.

It's only successful industry right now is the PlayStation 4.

They honestly feel they need to have a cinematic universe like Disney and Warner Bros. are doing.

Thus far they tried to make one with Spider-Man and failed and are currently failing at it with Ghostbusters.

They have yet to figure out that you can't make a "universe" around a single property alone.

They are cancer incarnate.

Independent Game Studio high on social justice has it's government funding cut. Has to make a commercial product that actually sells. Instead of hiring designers and coders of repute, they hire Leigh Alexander and Anita Sarkeesian as consultants.

Game is a giant pile of shit and flops (despite great reviews).

The devs went full retard on twitter.

Sometimes I doubt it. Too many leftists and redditors here these days

Your cats don't actually love you, they just love the food you give them.

Because they assumed the movie would be allowed to be shown in China and no matter how shit it is, it would have definitely surpassed 500 million if it did. China banned the movie because of the Japan-China Southern Islands dispute as Sony is a Japanese compnay and the movie is based on hurting ghosts, in China ghosts of dead people are considered holy and to be respected.

The reason we're getting all these reboots and sequels to old movies like Mad Max Fury Road and Jurassic World is because they want they China money as China's movie market is expected to surpass the US in a couple of years.

Also because they expected adults to see it based on nostalgia for the old movies. But they fucked that up with the trailer that was so shitty where one of the main characters said it was shit. Then they marketed the movie as some kind of female empowerment movie instead of a comedy movie that involved hunting ghosts.

Sony's entire plan was basically saying "Fuck you" to the US audience and expecting the Chinese to foot the bill, but got reverse fucked when China refused to watch a movie that they considered culturally insensitive. They had to rely on an audience that they told to go fuck themselves.

All the shills in this thread dont understand that no matter how hard they try this movie will not making the 500 million needed for a sequel. They have to resort to some of the classic strategies
>moving the goalposts of how much the movie needs to make
>comparing it to other failed movies that got critical acclaim even though the new ghostbusters got none
>saying we dont know the marketing budget
>personal insults
>saying Paul Fieg said it was a success even though he gets no say in the matter, rather the board of directors who allowed this movie to be made

There will be no sequel.

I bet he would love movie jail. He'd love to get his numale ass pounded

Ghostbusters is big enough that had they slapped Chris Pratt, Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and some black guy in it, hired the Lego Movie guys to direct, they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

Just because you have a top shelf brand name doesn't mean it's going to automatically translate into a success.

In fact, it can hurt it if you make a lazy pile of shit.

>he doesn't know about Sony's sales in India
lel

Good for them hopefully they make a sequel on a bigger budget
Maybe they can add two gorrilas speaking ebonics in the next film.

He said it would have to rake in $500 million to be considered successful.

Suicide squad will probally kill off any mentions of a ghostbusters sequel

The world will fall in love with margot robbie this weekend.

How embarrassing

No, he got bullied by the jocks in highschool. They pushed his head in the toilet, stole his lunch money and made him perform oral sex after gym class. Poor Feig had to suck off the entire football team.

This the movie industry keeps forgeting
Normal familys that are mostly white make up the bulk of movie ticket buyers.

>Poor Feig had to suck off the entire football team
Lucky cunt.

my cat died last month so the jokes on you retardo

rly makes u think

Well I can't say there is anything wrong with going for a niche with the right expectations.

As far as i know, the numbers have to be split between sony and the theaters.

just like fantastic 4 was going to get a sequel?

>Because even movies with this kind of budget that make 300+ million are considered flops.

Only officially. Inofficially the studios make huge profits. For every 1$ (theater gross) they get 1.75$ within the next 10 years (theaters, DVD sales, merchandising, TV). It's less abroad (0.25$ to 0.7$ per $1).

Additionally the costs listed as costs are not really costs. These monies go to their own divisions and shell companies. TV advertising costs paid to their own TV companies are not lost money.

Therefore
1. Ghostbusters (2016) is more profitable than it seems
2. Women hate men and love misandry.