Does it hold up?

Does it hold up?

Other urls found in this thread:

jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/my_jewish_trek
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6uH2-44XWs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In part yes
But a period adjustment is needed for half the time

For those that are unaware Netflix has the entire Star Trek catalog and is even streaming the new TV series. How cool is that!

i only watched 5 episodes. it's pretty comfy if you like science fiction but don't expect much. it feels weird compared to modern tv shows.

All old shows feel weird. they're so slow

if you dont watch Spock and Kirk then you havent seen Star Trek.

you know how in modern Star Trek shows that most of the cast are unlikable dicks apart from a few? well in Original Star Trek they are ALL likeable.

forget the crappy special FX, its still the best.

It's fun, comfy and the interactions between McCoy, Spock and Kirk are interesting. Don't watch the version with the awful remastered CGI though.

>does a terrible show that was shit when it aired hold up

gee

It holds up extremely well if you enjoy TV shows from the 60s anyway- which really isn't that long ago.

So if you like The Twilight Zone, The Virginian, The Prisoner, Dragnet, you'll like this series.

I love TV shows from the 60s even though it was definitely a period of decline in television (a decline from the golden age of the early-mid 50s)

If you like 60s tv shows, and something like Mission Impossible is a 7, than Star Trek holds up like a 9.

I got the first season on DVD from Target. I'm gonna watch whatever version that is

Yeah, people had longer attention spans back then. Isn't that weird?

Also I want to recommend some shows for those who like the original Star Trek.

The Lieutenant - created by Gene Roddenberry- it's a drama about the marine corp. Fucking great storytelling- ran for just 2 years.

Have Gun - Will Travel - Gene wrote for this- a great western series with a very different kind of western hero.

The Defenders- starring William Shatner- a legal drama written and created by the guy who wrote 12 Angry Men- Reginald Rose. It has the quality of a drama from the golden age of television (the 12 angry men/studio one era) but done in the 1960s. Really great.

Mission Impossible- it's a very visual and fun series, all about clever heists and cons- less secret agent stuff and action than the Tom Cruise movies. Leonard Nimoy is fucking great in the series. It's like a Hitchcock movie or Jules Dassin movie every day.

The Prisoner- you should know what this is already.

>The Prisoner
Can I just watch the remake?

Thematically it holds up. Of course the sets etc. are cheap looking but if those are a dealbreaker for you, you're most likely retarded anyways.

No. It's bad.

Also, I recommend:

East Side/West Side

T.H.E. Cat

Coronet Blue

Slattery's People

87th Precinct

Combat!

The Avengers (british spy show)

The Invaders

Sup Forums are such plebs when it comes to classic television & film, I always like to recommend them great shit they've never heard of to try to make it more popular. these series deserve eyeballs. Star Trek was a very old fashioned series in terms of episode structure. Even modern Star Trek series are in the 1950s episode mentality.

the new series is gonna suck. it'll make Renegades look good.

plus, if it even makes Abrams' shit main canon it'll put the nail in the coffin for ST.

some episodes hold up. have to realise that some of the tropes it shows weren't tropes at the time. it created them!

I thought they'd confirmed that the new show was in the old timeline

Under no circumstance should you watch the remake, it is horrible.

The problem is it'll have Kurtzman involved- he should be shot into the sun, and Orci too, to prevent them from ever writing or producing anything ever again.

It's the Prime timeline, though.

Star Trek needs to have a good balance between serialized storytelling, which is popular now in the silver age of television, and doing the classic "series of short films" structure of the original series- where every episode has a clever standalone problem and solution. I think DS9 had a good balance of this.

I was watching Space Seed the other day and thinking no way could they make this episode now. Khan gets some starfleet wench to commit treason just because she wets herself over him. SJWs would be going nuts today.

Thanks for the list user. It's refreshing to see this amongst the stench of capeshit.

I still love TOS. I've lost interest in all the other series. To me, TOS is so out of time that it's almost timeless. I actually think TNG had aged worse.

Such a great episode.

Another great episode that I think is criminally underrated: The Menagerie. It's the one that uses footage from the pilot with Jeffrey Hunter as the first Captain instead of Shatner. Most people dismiss it as filler to pad out the episode and use this old footage.

But it's good for two reasons: #1- The Cage is a great episode- it has elements from Inception and VR and being trapped in your own mind that were groundbreaking for TV at the time, and are still cool to this day (of course SF books had been doing this for years) and #2, the extra footage not from the Cage, of Spock going around trying to do some old sneaky shit, is genuinely mysterious. The entire thing I'm thinking "what the fuck is going on, what is Spock up to?" It's hard to predict where it's going to go, and then the mystery is resolved in a very satisfying manner.

i love how much she wants the D after being slapped

kysfamtbh

Love The Cage. That green slave girl was responsible for my first boner. Sexy as fuck.

There's something about 1980s cinematography that looks so dated- even though it's film, it looks like video tape. The color temperature is dull, and even the HD remasters look kind of "fuzzy." The special effects, done on video and primitive CG, don't hold up compared to special effects done on film stock.

The 60s film stock looks colorful, sharp, saturated, and actually more "slick" then the 80s shows.

But the 80s show has such great writing. If only it had looked as good as the original.

I'm watching it now for the first time and I love it. Just finished S1.

Was considering watching the next generations but I hear it completely abandons what the show used to be about (Twilight Zonesque scenarios) in favor of political intrigue and action.

Can someone confirm?

I can confirm the Next Generation is not that. DS9 is that.

Nope- you're thinking of DS9. Star Trek TNG has the same storytelling mentality of the original series- but skip the first season.

By the way, the 2nd season of Star Trek 1966 is the best one.

next gerneation is good. end of season 3 is wher it gets really interesting.. same could be said for ds9 and voy.
exactly why i abandoned watching enterprise. they still couldn't get their act together and start off great from epsiode 1.

Does the Next Generation still go for the sci fi Twilight Zone vibe? I'll give it a shot if so but I really could care less about the political stuff.

TNG is basically TOS but good.

Yes, it has the Twilight Zone "cool standalone problem with clever sci-fi payoffs per episode" vibe.

I was a TOS guy who refused to watch TNG for the longest time because I hate most tv shows and movies from the 80s- but TNG had that old fashioned storytelling.

Start with Measure Of A Man or Q Who?

There's almost no political stuff. Every now and then there'll be an episode about a crazy starfleet captain or a treaty with the Romulans or whatever, but that'll just be the instigating factor in the story, not what the episode is about.
It doesn't feel like the Twilight Zone, in the way that the original series does. Primarily because it doesn't share 75% of it's writing staff with the Twilight Zone like the original did. There's less of a horror vibe, more often the stories will focus on moral issues. Do they have a right to move a group of people off a planet against their will if it will prevent a war? To what extent can they interfere with a primitive society? Is it Ok to destroy a species if the species poses a serious threat to your own? Stuff like that

A lot of it does. More than half. The whole show is smattered with shit, but what show isn't. It's not every episode, and that's good. It's not every other episode, and that's even better. Hell, it might not even be every third episode, but it's around there. And whatever good vs bad ratio you can formulate, just invert it for the third season.

>To what extent can they interfere with a primitive society?
WHENEVER IT FUCKING BOTHERS ME TO NOT!

I'm watching the show on my computer, and those silly shiny patches on their shirts keep making me think my cursor is on the screen

After watching the first three episodes, I gotta ask, do they ever get the uniforms straight? It seems like Kirk just wears random shirts

> It's a pot-bellied Shatner in his green wraparound tunic episode

standards for men used to be a lot lower

Shatner looks like an old wrestler from the 1800's, he's obviously fit in that picture with more practical muscles.

Friendly reminder that Dukat did nothing wrong.

this

men today in action movies are too over-the-topped ripped that wouldnt be ideal for someone who does what they do. shatner looks like someone who would be in his position. in shape, but not a gym junkie. pine literally looks like hes a fucking model who spends all of his day working out and eating precisely timed meals.

jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/my_jewish_trek

>I suggested that there seemed to be something almost uniquely Jewish about the flavor of the Star Trek universe. Roddenberry perked up. “How so?” “Consider,” I said, drawing upon long practiced Vulcan equanimity. “Earth has chosen a Federation as its greatest organizing entity. The Federation believes in outreach and mutual acceptance and respect as organizing principles. The peripatetic protagonists are tasked with the ongoing mission of wandering the galaxy.
>The second banana, hired because his unconventional Jewish face suggested alien qualities, used rabbinic gestures to convey salutations, and parsed the wild and wooly universe with the logic-bound aplomb of a Talmudic scholar.” I left unsaid that performers Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Walter Koenig, as well as producers Robert Justman, Herb Solow and Fred Freiberger and too many writers to name were all fellow tribesmen. Roddenberry, I concluded, must have been a philo-Semite of the first order to surround himself with so many Red Sea pedestrians.
>The congenial Roddenberry concluded what I later realized was a slow burn. “You Jews,” he snarled, “have a lamentable habit of identifying those characteristics in a society that you deem positive and then taking credit for inventing them”

What did he mean by this?

>“Gene was anti-Semitic, clearly,” Nimoy replied as my heart sank. “Roddenberry had Jewish associates; Bill (Shatner) and I were both Jewish, as were others. To be fair, Roddenberry was anti-religion. And apart from being a ethnic-cultural entity, Jews, to him, were a religious group. But I saw examples not only of him practicing anti-Semitism, but of him being callous about other peoples' differences as well."

The "enhanced" blu-ray version is kinda stupid desu. The late 90s-tier CG really ruins the charm of the original special effects. It's really jarring and bring nothing new to the series.

>In the spring of '93, however, Jewish fans of the series took special umbrage at a group of aliens figuring prominently in the Star Trek series, Deep Space Nine. As originally conceived by Roddenberry, the Ferengi were squat, deformed and venal creatures, lecherous, miserly and greedy, bearing huge, misshapen ear, severely notched noses and, according to Roddenberry's Writers' Bible, prodigious personal packages. The editor of Film Score Monthly, at the time, a student at Amherst College, called the alarm, attesting that “There was no denying the anti-Semitic attributes of the Ferengi.”

>Paramount denied it. But writer/producer Brannon Bragga, who was not Jewish, told me he had in fact protested to Berman and Piller that the Ferengi represented malicious Medieval representations of Jews as profit-crazed merchants lusting for Christian damsels. But when he warned that such stereotypes still had the potential to wreak havoc in the late 20th Century, they dismissed his concerns. Meanwhile, word went out about my pursuit of this issue within the walls of Paramount.
>Smack in the middle of an interview with Ferengi majordomo Armin Shimmerman, himself a Jewish actor with admitted misgivings over the role, a call came in from Paramount's publicity department instructing him to cease and desist all contacts with me forthwith.

The Star Trek Prototype had those uniforms with ribbed collars that they kept for the early subsequent episodes, but they quickly gave up on it in favor of the ones without collars. Kirk occasionally wears that green tunic like said but he's the only officer to do so

Based Roddenberry.

Roddenberry sounds based

>mods deleted anti-semitic comments

Kikes gonna kike.

>he does it for free

Against the rules of acquisition tbqhonest, Magus.

>and is even streaming the new TV series.

Everywhere except the United States & Canada.

The weird thing is I love Star Trek, but I hate progressivism and fake diversity. I always imagine if I was put in charge of Star Trek, what would I do?

I would want a classic white guy in the role, but that is legitimately against the Star Trek mentality. I suppose I would put a lesbian minority female as the Captain, maybe a latina, maybe even a tranny, but I would have a character who questioned the values of Starfleet to serve as an analogue to myself.

The new captain on Discovery probably will be a LGBT and female, most likely a black. And I hate that and understand it at the same time. Like, I might be annoyed at that shit in real life but it makes sense to put that in Star Trek, just as it makes sense for there to be a black woman, asian, alien, and Russian in TOS.

The visuals and pacing age pretty well compared to other shows of the time but overall I'd say no. I tried to work my way through this and didn't find it very appealing. I made it about 15 episodes in and only had two that I really liked (the one with the Romulans and the Shakespeare one), then skipped ahead to City on the Edge of Forever, an episode that I had heard hyped up a lot and found it pretty lacking, then I dropped the show.

Honestly, I can see why it developed a following but I can also why it was canceled. The moral and political messages are always painfully hamfisted and always seem to revolve around the same theme (logic vs emotion), I didn't really find any of the characters compelling besides Kirk and Spock, the show seems to invent and instantly forget character backstories as necessary to set up a plot. There are also some plots that aren't so much bad as just baffling, like they'll land on an alternate version of Earth where it's a different time period and history has diverged into something different and have an adventure there but never really question or find out why such a thing exists.

There's just a lot wrong with the writing, I wouldn't even say it's fair to blame it on the times. I'm a fan of a lot of shows from the '60s, including The Twilight Zone and '60s Doctor Who. Although they each share some of the same problems some of the time, Star Trek just seems like a perfect collision of bad '60s tropes.

Remember when klingons were just beaded guys?

You tell me
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6uH2-44XWs

too racist