"And you people, you're all... astronauts. On... some kind of star trek"

>"And you people, you're all... astronauts. On... some kind of star trek"

Jesus christ, really?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TylOtznJ-8U
youtube.com/watch?v=gTDEpSYD25M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Staar Trek Thenextgeneration

why did they have a fucking cappuccino machine in engineering?

Why don't they leave the viewscreen on all the time so they don't have to say "on screen"? Why doesn't The Doctor teleport instead of asking people to get out of his way?

God, she was so fucking cute

it was hot chocolate

>Deanna calls herself "disabled"
headpalm, when no amount of facepalms are enough

it was literally true

>tfw TNG thread

it's more convenient to walk around them than take the effort to boot up the TARDIS

Defend this shit episode

They made such a big deal out of introducing her, then she has like one scene in one other episode what the fuck I'm so mad to this day

getting gore and imagery like that in Star Trek is really unexpected and kinda metal

Commander, tell me about your sexual organs.

xenomorphs + bodysnatchers + illuminati

good idea, but it didn't suit star trek's format

youtube.com/watch?v=TylOtznJ-8U

>They are fully functional, would you like a demonstration?

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea for a third episode? Then again classic started with the Man Trap after pilots sooo....

Season 1 is strange. The series was still trying to find its footing, like in any long-running series like it.

I feel like it may have been "Too much, too soon", but it led to some really cool and gross set pieces. Seeing Riker suffer through eating worms with a straight face is pretty cool.

I think it would have made a better story arc later in the series. Maybe over time, Starfleet Captains and admirals start to confide separately in Picard, because they know he can't be infected because he was out exploring the galaxy or something.

Maybe there is an infiltrator in the Enterprise crew keeping an eye on things, and as time goes on, Picard realizes that the warnings were all true, and one of his senior officers might be infected

I didn't really feel like these creatures were any real threat-- we don't know their motivations or even their names. They aren't even brought up again in the entire series.

In fact, we see parasitic creatures just like them later, the Trills, who are pretty open about being symbiotic creatures. No one ever brings up the parasitic conspiracy

G H O S T E D
H
O
S
T
E
D

>The Future
>"Lets all hang around a shitty bar and listen to rockabilly music"

Rollo Tomassi

I remember hearing that ratings on Encounter at Farpoint were a little sub-par, so they moved up the sex disease episode a few spots to boost ratings.

yea, i like the idea of a conspiracy in the federation , but it was a very un-trek way to go about it.

They did this a bunch. They wanted to make their ensemble cast even bigger. The first season has a bunch of Chief Engineers on rotation to see who would test well. They tried to do it again with that fish-man that Wesley meets at Starfleet Academy. They sort of settled on Ensign Ro, though, who ended up being a good choice.

I suppose I agree, I feel like it would have been better had the plot not progressed so quickly, I believe is correct in their conclusion

You can tell the producers wanted to show the audience that this wasn't their grandpa's Star Trek. The fans of the original watched it in their teens or whatever in syndication, and some plots were needed to ramp up the badass

you mean "cunnilingus-ed"

They set it up with one episode beforehand, but that still wasn't enough set-up. It wouldn't take much to establish a story arc by being like "Hey Picard do you notice that things are weird lately" Picard: "I'll keep an eye on it but I have to deal with this planet full of sexy young people"

I feel like it just needed more time, and MUCH better payoff. They built it up over several episodes, then Picard and Riker solve the conspiracy in an afternoon, with considerably less effort than some of what they did in just regular episodes.

I actually watched the documentary on star trek, the one they had on netflix for a min, and apparently gene was on vacation when they did the brain worm episode, and they kind of slid it in without his approval. He never wanted the federation to be anything other than a totally perfect human government

>computer, make 1 million self aware Woofs and turn off the holodeck safety

>"Hey Picard do you notice that things are weird lately"
Didn't they do this though? I seem to recall that Admiral who was in the episode having talked to Picard about needing people he could trust or something several episodes earlier when he first appeared. I might be misremembering though.

I was most disappointed that no one else was really involved in fighting the conspiracy. Like how hard is it for Troi to be like "I'm detecting a different personality than last time"

Everyone was absent for the latter half of the episode until Riker wanted to go undercover

That was at the start of the episode, I think. The admiral talks about strange orders and other things. Later he gets the message from his trusted friend Admiral or whatever to meet on the strange planet for the meetup

One of the captains he meets was Michael Berryman in makeup, who is always cool to have around

also, why did this episode happen? Was her contract up or what?

She wanted out of the show for other roles. They released her from her contract, but they had to kill her off. The episode was weak AF. The monster is just a whiny teenager with no friends.

There are some pretty good stunts in the episode though

i mean, he was kinda scary, had a pretty weak origin story tho

Nah nah, that's not what I'm thinking of. AS I recall, when we see that Admiral in that episode, we already knew him, he had been in an episode before, and at the end of that episode had talked to Picard about something vague.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was swept under the rug. The Federation letting that kind of thing happen to itself is probably a huge embarrassment. Sort of like Klingon thing where for a while they lost their ridges and looked human.

I think you're right. Either way, it didn't feel like enough setup.

In describing TNG Season 1, and Gene Roddenberry's attempts to "push the limits a little" Jonathan Frakes stated, "I think we took greater chances then than we do now. The shows may be better, the level of it, but "Skin of Evil" was absurd. We had Patrick sitting and talking into a black oil slick– but what was wrong with that? I suffered physically like a fool with Mikey– sure, I'll get in that black fucking Metamucil shit. That was absurd."

In another world where Yar stays on, what the fuck does Worf do?

>losing their ridges and looking human
wait, thats in tng? i missed that, what episode??

>Before the end of the first season, Crosby asked to be released from her contract as she was unhappy that her character was not being developed. She later said "I was miserable. I couldn't wait to get off that show. I was dying." Roddenberry agreed to her request, and she left on good terms.

To be fair to her she was pretty right at that point and it's why she was fine coming back later, she was happy with what they did with the character.

Originally she was going to be Troi, and was swapped to Tasha when Mirina Sirtus audition for that role so it might not have been what she was originally sold on.

That's an important thing too. Even if she'd stayed there would have been far less directions for her character to go than Worf

To this day, I have no fucking idea what Worf's actual job was on the bridge before he became chief of security.

I think he's referring to TOS.

Nah that's a story in Enterprise, to explain the TOS Klingons.

In the first ship, Worf wore a red shirt, along with Geordi, which are command uniforms. He would have worked the conn sometimes, and took command of sections of the ship.

Geordi probably would have been the up-and-coming ambitious young lieutenant if they hadn't promoted him to Chief Engineer so quickly

It is funny that Worf was always used as a whipping boy to show how tough a new adversary was. He lost a ton of fights getting tossed aside when he was supposed to be the Enterprise's killing machine and enforcer when they resorted to combat

She loses her ability to point out the obvious as an excuse to attack her friends and colleagues because she no longer feels superior to them, then wants to quit Starfleet over it, and then says "I don't know what came over me" when it comes back. Troi fucking sucks.

Compare TNG Klingons to TOS Klingons. There was a line TNG where someone asks Worf about it, he just says we dont talk about it. It winds up being the plot of an ENT episode.

wait, theres an actual canon-ical reason behind why their make-up was shit in TOS?

first season i mean

ah, havent quite made it all the way through enterprise yet.

I always kinda figured there were a bunch of instances where some hostile alien came at them, and Worf just instantly destroyed them, and that was it, end of story, no point in making it any episode. (Or instantly blown up by the enterprise, or anyone with a phaser, or had their weapons and whatever beamed away). The episodes we see are ones where Worf can't just beat them up, and something interesting happens.

I will defend to my death that First Contact is the second or third finest Star Trek movie. The whole Cochrane subplot, with him rising above his greed, womanizing nature, etc, is brilliant. It's the culmination of what Star Trek is about. Yeah, Picard gets a bit overly vengeful, but it's understandable considering what he's been through. And yeah, he's probably the most enlightened person in all of Trek, but being assimilated must be an incredibly traumatic experience. I'm okay with it, and the rest is brilliant.

whos idea was it to make a fuckin frog-assed gypsy a sex symbol?

seems like the implication they were going for

After Denise Crosby left the show, someone had to be the sex symbol. It moved from the fit blonde to the demure bitch in the low-cut tops

Who has the webm of Deanna Troi in the slutty dress from "Man of the People"?

But Dr. Crusher was so much cuter.

Not to mention

I just don't understand though. She was introduced in the beginning of the season. It's not like they had time to change their minds. They go to all the trouble to introduce her, and then have her talk one more time in the next episode. They introduce her for literally no reason, they never even tried to do anything with her.

She was so likable too, though that was partially just being a sidekick to Geordi, who just exudes likableness to a ridiculous degree.

>about to finish rewatching TNG
>that Worf and Troi romance hastily put together
>"nah fuck that, Troi is now marrying Riker in the movies :)"
I've always found that weird as shit.
Whatever happened to that Thomas guy anyways, was it ever expanded somewhere else?
Also, I've watched TOS and TNG like 3-4 times each, I think I'm ready to move onto a new one, DS9 right?

best Geordi interaction imo was the engine designer lady he fantasized over on the holodeck and she turns out to be a real bitch when he actually meets her

If I remember right, the Klingons stole information from Starfleet records about the Augments (Khan and his kind) and tried to use it to create a Klingon equivalent.

It went wrong and turned into a plague that swept across the Klingon home world, they cured it and rendered it non-lethal, but it disfigured a majority of the Klingons into smooth-heads.

dude stfu this movie is one of the best ones

That was in DS9, actually, "Trials and Tribble-ations", an episode I simultaneously love and hate precisely because of the Klingon thing.

See, prior to "Trials", we the audience were supposed to just imagine that Klingons had ALWAYS had the head ridges, and TOS simply didn't have the budget for them. Fair enough - in an early DS9 episode we actually meet several Klingons from TOS (Kang, Kor, and Koloth), who all now have head ridges, but that fact goes entirely uncommented on, as it does in several other instances.

"Trials and Tribble-ations" is the first episode to actually acknowledge it. Now, in isolation, it's a hilarious line in a hilarious episode that is just fantastic. However that line, which is mostly just meant as a gag, directly lead into a lot of fans shitting on Enterprise during Seasons 1, 2, and 3, for showing Klingon with head-ridges. It was part of this hatedom that build up around Enterprise from day 1, before it even had a chance to get off the ground. Which is problematic for me because Enterprise is, unironically, my favorite Trek series.

Eventually in Season 4 we get a couple-three (I forget which) episodes that explain the origin of the smooth foreheads, which was part and parcel with Season 4's overall far superior writing (which isn't to say that Seasons 1-3 are bad - Seasons 1 and 2 were just a bit too formulaic, while Season 3 being a single long plot just felt like it was dragging), but by then it was too little, too late, the show was already dying with no hope of recovery, and my long and slow descent into anger and hatred for the Trekkies that lauded its cancellation began.

So, basically, "Trials and Tribble-ations" is a fantastic episode in and of itself, but within the larger context of the Star Trek fandom I have a difficult time enjoying it, knowing what it helped to begin and the part it played, albeit indirectly, in killing my favorite Trek series.

>Whatever happened to that Thomas guy anyways, was it ever expanded somewhere else?

Not to spoil, but he's addressed in Deep Space 9.

Flawed series but not entirely unredeemable right?

Then I know what to watch next.

>Enterprise hate club is powerful enough not only to kill it but to kill Trek on TV possibly forever

>that episode where they go to the matriarchal planet on the rescue mission
>Riker lets the rest of the team go off on the mission while he fucks the president
Truly, he was the worthy heir of Kirk

youre talking about the wrong show

That the same ep he gets raped by some crazy science bitch when trying to escape?

this episode was flawed
>no people just fucking in public
>no frolicking naked in public

this planet feels the most like something you would find in TOS, like those people just walked out of a matte painting and isn't that the one where Wesley is sentenced to death? I can see Kirk giving a speech about the absurdity of it while preaching peace and tolerance after he got into a fist fight and was taken to alien space court and total atomic war was declared against the Federation just before the commercial break

Y'know uh. Your hair. It's uh. It's different.

TNG is one of my favorite shows ever, but what was up with the complete lack of a serious overarching plotline?

could have been the weird worm things, nope that's dropped and never mentioned. most definitely could have been the borg, but even they get dropped

romulans are a threat but kinda aren't, i dunno man

felt like the last season just sort of went out you know? i'm watching ds9 now and almost done and there is just so much more plot

the ds9 episode with thomas has what is probably the greatest moment in any trek episode ever, do watch it

Basically. Now, granted, a good portion of that is the fault of Enterprise not having good writing during Seasons 1 and 2. But a significant portion also belongs to Trekkies who were short-sighted enough to not realize what the cancellation of a Star Trek series would mean in the long term. That shortsightedness is the reason why, to this day, I refuse to identify as a "Trekkie" and instead as just as Star Trek fan, even though I'm mostly over my hatred by now.

Enterprise's cancellation directly lead into JJTrek. JJTrek has forever sundered Star Trek. Even Star Trek Discovery looks like it's going to be splitting the difference and having the Discovery's voyages take place between ENT and TOS (based on Discovery's NCC number), which allows them to claim that it's in the Prime timeline while still catering to the Kelvin timeline.

Now, mind, I actually liked the 2009 Star Trek. It's not great, but it's serviceable. And I loved Beyond, though a large part of that is because a) Enterprise is actually a lynchpin to its plot, and b) I realized that my hatred for Trekkies was basically slowly turning me into a real-life Krall and so I needed to stop before I tried to destroy a space station with gray goo.

But in the balance, if someone offered me either a continuation of Prime Trek's timeline or a continuation of JJTrek movies, I know which one I'd take in a heartbeat.

I remember that being the most embarrassing thing I ever saw, when she goes to holodeck and she's talking all sultry to Geordi

100% cringe

nothing wrong with a truly episodic series if the episodes are of quality, you almost never get those these days

Overarching storylines just weren't a thing in TNG's day. Episodic was the standard.

It's only in more recent times that it's changed.

I love the Googie-style architecture in TOS. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't keep it in the other shows.

They also had Barclay who became a pretty good recurring character. Even though it made me wonder why Starfleet didn't screen their officers for psychological disorders or phobias, or even why they still HAD these in the 24th century

Mind, there was one sci-fi series that did it right...

youtube.com/watch?v=gTDEpSYD25M

>one
I don't accept your petty, pathetic tribalism.

DS9 and B5 were both good. There is no need to elevate one by putting down the other.

like they could harm anyone.

I really enjoyed every time Data appeared in most episodes, but hated every time they got him doing wacky shit for one reason or another, and they somehow managed to shoehorn something like that every other episode. Not only that, but the whole "real human feelings" felt really off from the character, even for Lore if you ask me, and kind of bothered me it ever got developed in one of the movies.

I never looked much into it, but what happened with all that? was it all at Spiner's request maybe?
It's been a long time, but I don't recall them having Spock acting like a wacko that many times over the series just for the sake of novelty.

Jonathan Frakes was so handsome. I will always adore his smile.

Wiki says he was a relief conn officer. That was a thing in both TOS and early TNG, where they'd rotate bridge officers probably to see who the audience would respond better to. I think TOS had like a dozen different people at the conn.

Well, my comment was more supposed to just be that while 80s/90s TV generally didn't go in for overarching plots, there were some notable exceptions.

However, if I'm being honest, and despite otherwise being an ovewhelming Star Trek fan...I vastly prefer B5 to DS9. DS9 is just...just boring. It bores me.

Plus there is the problem that B5 managed to solve its Big War in a more Star Trek way than DS9 did with its own Big War. In Babylon 5 the Shadows (and Vorlons) were "defeated" by talking them down, making them realize how monstrous they had become and how utterly they were failing at their duties, and getting them to voluntarily leave the Galaxy alone and *grow up* as species.

While over in DS9, the Federation and its allies won through superior firepower and biological warfare perpetrated by a shadow organization, and simply beat the Dominion into submission.

>tfw they even nailed it in Futurama

>tfw they replaced TOS' glorious minatures and matte paintings with disgusting 90s CGI in the blurays

Disgusting desu