This show is easily an 8/10...

This show is easily an 8/10. I only subtract two because the characters initially came off as terribly cliché within the first two episodes, and because even though it offers fresh elements, you find yourself expecting where the series is going to go, storywise.

>Oh no, meek high schooler gets bullied by jock thinking he was spying on his girlfriend when he was really looking for his missing brother.
>Wannabe rebellious girl offsets her parents by sleeping with aforementioned douchey jock
>Haha, toothless quirky character reminiscent of Chunk from the Goonies sure has those witty lines in spades
>Hey, look at this shady organization Hawkins Laboratory not be so inconspicuous with their "repair technicians" driving away in their Hawkins Laboratory van, just in case, you as a viewer, are too stupid to put together the repair technician wasn't actually a repair technician.

My gripes aside, the story grows stronger, and the clichés fade away as the writers allow the characters to flesh out. Also, I need to say the police chief is a total bad ass.

Fuck Orange Is The New Black and BoJack Horseman (Though I love BoJack Horseman) THIS is Netflix's golden horse. Also, I suck dick.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EJG9moROT3g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump
Bamp
Boomp

that girl who acts eleven does a good job showing emotions with her eyes.

On episode 5 atm. Going to watch the others tonight, can't wait. I'd watch a show based on the chiefs adventures if they ever do a spinoff.

Why does Chad win ever time?

>They nickname her "El" instead of "Elly."

Fucking awful characterization decision.

I knew the bitch would be better at using the gun then Jonathan. I just fucking knew it.

Is it just me or does the chief look like Michael C. Hall?

Screencap this prediction lads, I have a feeling it's going to come true.

El is going to end up being adopted by Chief Hopper and will become more talkative in season 2.

>Steve calls his little shindig a party
>It's five people

Wow, okay buddy. You're way too cool with the way you gutted that beer can.

Because Eleven "El" is Will, or "Wel". It was on purpose to make the names sound similar, but the connection is deeper than that. El is representative of Will's queer transgender experimentation.

Think about it:
Will
>bullied for acting queer and gay
>even his mom thinks hes gay
>disappears
El
>appears right after Will's gone missing
>purposefully androgynous
>wears a wig
>likes being called pretty
>makes bully pee himself right after he makes fun of Will's queerness
>mentally unstable
They both have deadbeat dads, El moreso than Will (which is to imply Will's dad is more abusive than the show lets on, since El is a reflection of Will).
And isnt it strange that Will is rescued only after El sacrifices herself? They never meet.

Kill yourself asap. El was too big of a character not to return in season 2. Matter of fact I bet season 2 will be about bringing El back.

But shouldn't that be setting the tone? I mean it's based in the 1970-80's. Like literally every tv show, film based in those settings have the exact same cliches. But it's the twist with all the strange happenings. I can't explain but what I'm trying to say is like they're presenting this picture of simple people living simple lives just to have them turned upside down.

>EL
>E.T.

The actress who plays El even bears a striking resemblance to E.T.

wow I actually miss the got generals

>implying the connection between Will and El wont be a major plot point
Their fusion will be complete by the finale

Only watch it for the Mike El romance.

>The actress who plays El even bears a striking resemblance to a boy
fix'd

>cliche

It's literally stylistically designed to be that way

While I enjoyed it there was far too much cribbing from other source material. The central relationship between the kids was excellent though.

Based Steve
youtube.com/watch?v=EJG9moROT3g

This guy gets it. OP is a fucking PLEB

>I only subtract two because the characters initially came off as terribly cliché within the first two episodes,
that was kind of a point, in a way it was suppose to be a typical "80's show," but then the spooky shit happened.

I thought they were going to name her "Elf"

>Because Eleven "El" is Will, or "Wel"
The foundation of your connection is retarded. But I like your parallels between characters

>He thinks the story is good
>He thinks the characters are initially shit
You've got it the other way around. There's nothing good about the story, as it borrows too much from other sources. What sets it apart is the very well realized setting and the excellent writing and acting of the characters. It's comfy to watch such lovable characters interact.

It's a solid 7/10, but they have to be pretty inventive to ensure season 2 doesn't end up being too similar to season 1.

I rewatched it yesterday and I gotta say I completely forgot the part where Hop and Joyce visit Terry.

Do you think 11 is her daughter? I didn't even catch this the first time around.

>There's nothing good about the story, as it borrows too much from other sources.

That's the point.

that's kind of the implication.

I was thinking it was going to turn out she was Hop's kid

>That's the point.
Doesn't make it any less shit. References are only good when they're in the "background", like posters in a room or calling a character Stephen after Stephen King. Copying scenes and saying 'that's the point' is unoriginal as it is lazy.

How are they gonna explain Will coming back from death when everyone was at his funeral?

El is her daughter. I watched the whole show last night. In episode 3 or so El goes into Nancy's room and finds the music box, playing it and getting sad. When they visit the childs room that same song is being played in the background.

>I rewatched it and completely forgot the parts where El started bleeding and something spontaneous happened
>do you think 11 has superpowers?

The cleanup is supposed to be a big part of s2, and understandably so. Personally I can't wait for Will's ptsd and baby worms to come up more.

what is wrong with you?

>The cleanup is supposed to be a big part of s2
Absolutely no way. S2 takes place a year after S1, so you can expect all of S1 to be cleaned up by then.

What's really hard for them to explain is what all the characters have been up to in that year. Where's El all this time? The govt is obviously looking for her, so how couldn't they find her in a whole year? What's up with Will? What's Hop been doing? Has the upsidedown become more threatening? Why/why not?

I wish them good luck on trying to explain all that and more in ways that makes sense, but I'm skeptical to say the least.

>Absolutely no way. S2 takes place a year after S1, so you can expect all of S1 to be cleaned up by then.
Yeah, I agree, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the cleanup would be explained. I guess "big part" was an overstatement.
About El, her last scene made me think she took the monster to a place outside of the dimensional plane, as in she took it off either side of the wire. I'd assume she'd be there too.

Fuck off

>Mike is short for Michael
>Mike + El
>MikeEl
She's called El because she completes Michael

One of the newsclippings mentions a doctor is getting shit for falsifying a death.
So chances are it's examined that Will was eventually found and that the body that was found was misidentified as Will

It's called paying homage

>El's actually time travelled Mike

ET was a boy too ...at least,I think he was