WTF was Lynch thinking about?

WTF was Lynch thinking about?

Spiderman

just watched this film what a let down I even preffer Dune

The inner uglyiness of humanity that is wrapped suburban lifestyle. Plebiean.

wtf bro lmao
its only his fourth film and he is always with the same topic

yeah yeah and eraserhead is the inner ugliness of marriage

> le inner uglyness meme

Why can't Lynchfags just confess he made pulp?

>inner ugliness of marriage
no, it's about the fear of fatherhood

The concept of duality and opposites becoming closer to eachother, good vs evil, dark secrets lying underneath the cheery fake appearance of a calm american town, a play on the noir blonde/brunette trope, the male struggle with sexual temptation and seduction.

Not his best work, but still pretty great.

yeah nice point

wtf are you talking about eraserhead was about a mutant baby

yeah nice 7/10 though

The hidden ugliness inside of beauty. It's a theme that he would later explore with Twin Peaks.

Nice job bro I've never met anyone who willingly declared their retardation on the internet

This was absolute shit.

Wooden characters, shoehorned symbolism, unengaging plot.

>admitting to being this new

well at least you're honest

I don't really get all the readings of this about "the dark side of suburbia", or the visual metaphor at the start with the roaches under the lawn

All the bad shit clearly takes place in the city or an industrial wasteland. The suburbs are a haven from all that

But those come from Lynch himself. So, he is a bad director after all.

he's creeped out by suburbia

No, it's just that Sup Forums, as usual, doesn't know what the fuck it's talking about.

There is no city in the movie. The whole thing takes place in Lumberton and the surrounding area.

DUDE IDEALIZED FANTASY FULL OF INTRIGUE, ROMANCE AND CLICHES VS COLD HARD REALITY LMAO

By city I meant urban downtown. She lives in an apartment

Maybe I'm just nitpicking but I think it worked better in Twin Peaks, with the small isolated community harboring this dark city instead of a sort of nebulous suburb. I liked Blue Velvet more otherwise

>people are actually trying to find meaning on this movie's plot when it's nothing more than a bunch of weird shit clumped up together

Lynchfags are worst.

Sorry, meant "dark secret"

raping

>The suburbs are a haven from all that
Not at all. As the movie progresses you can clearly see the dark side bleed into the good side of town, just like Jeffrey becomes more and more like Frank over the course of the story.

It's was also very clearly and deliberately meant to be divided in 2, the happy, naive suburbs and the dark, ugly underlife of smoky night clubs and typical lynchian deserted industrial zones.

The beetles at the beginning serve not only to show that there's a dark side to the superficial generic american optimism and glee, but it's also an omen for things to come. Same thing with the ear (which none other than Jeffrey himself finds, showing that bad things might come to him). Both of these events happen in the suburbs, and at the beginning of the movie, even before the shit hits the fan and things get mixed together.
There's also Jeffrey's heavy choice between the innocent blonde Sandy and the dark, mysterious, dangerous brunette Dorothy. At the end of the movie Dorothy even comes to the suburbs (another mark of the dark bleeding into the suburbs). And even more, the yellow suited guy who was bad all along, despite working with the police.

Granted, the film isn't a super deep and metaphorical piece of art or anything. It's just a very odd and very american thriller with tons of subtext. There's nothing left open to interpretation, apart from maybe the ending. If you want to get into Lynch's heavy shit with multiple vague interpretations, theories, dream logic and non-linear plots, then watch Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and especially Inland Empire.

yeah