Sopranos overrated

I am at the end of season 1 of the Sopranos and I don't get why it is so highly rated?

What's so good about it? Does it get better in the later seasons?

IMDB ranks this as Top 4 TV show ever.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/gay/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Season 2 is better and season 3 is even better. Continue watching it.

>Does it get better in the later seasons?

Yes, so keep watching you pleb.

The first season's a little dated. At the time such complex and mature storytelling was unheard of in tv. Tony killing that dude in the 5th episode was probably the first time a tv protagonist brutally murdered someone. Now that shit's everywhere so we don't care.

However, as the show goes on, it reaches new heights of the artform in psychological and emotional depth that are still unmatched by all but a few tv shows after it.

Disregard my post, I thought this was Who's The Boss. But everything I said still stands, Tony is amazing in it.

>implying samefag

After season 3 you'll realize that every season and every episode are basically the same.

>hurr durr this is real life. This is what the director intended.

Redundancy isn't genius storytelling.

spotted the pleb.

It's pretty trash, especially to today's standards.

Poor man's Becker

it insists on itself

fuck off pleb

keep going, you should start to enjoy it more during season 2

Thats the problem with all the fucking hype, it just can't live up to it, it's not that great. Same with every show that gets hyped. People like to exagerate

>Tony killing that dude in the 5th episode was probably the first time a tv protagonist brutally murdered someone

You might very well believe that, I couldn't possibly comment

that the only thing Sup Forums is right about, the hype of the sopranos. If you think it's exagerate i recommend you to use an another website, here's the url :
reddit.com/r/gay/

Get off my Sup Forums you filthy plebs.

>mfw try to get my friends to watch this but they prefer game of thrones and Mr robot

>mfw my university peers think I'm a casual because I religiously rewatch sopranos and boardwalk empire instead of watching each new shitfest meme series

The way I see it is it was a literal 10/10 show when it was aired, since it was completely different.
It can be disappointing watching it nowadays because you sometimes feel like it's not living up to reputation, but it's still an amazing show. When I was halfway through season 3 or something, I was trying to watch other shows simultaneously, but always just abandoned them and decided to watch some more sopranos episodes.
There's personal preference too, but at the end of the day I just can't be fucked getting into any current shows, sopranos is relaxing.

My dad has watched sopranos at least 5 times through, when I finally gave it a watch I realized he was patrician
>mfw he says whoosh
My stepson gives him shit for it saying "how can you watch the same thing over and over" when she watches shit like the kardashians so me and him just bantz her into oblivion

Why are you trying to crowd-source your opinions, you fucking retard? What did you think of the show? Why?

I've marathoned it through s6e1 over the past few weeks.

I don't think it's that great, the personal story arcs have no continuity from episode to episode. One ep has Chris trying to manage a band, another is about Tony's dad's mistress, but plots like these are just filler for an episode or two and have no recurrence over the show.

Tony is a completely unsympathetic character who disgusts me. The worst part of the show is having to listen to his breathing. The second worst part is having to listen to his (and Carmela's) annoying voice.

The whole point of Johnny Boy's mistress was to show the growing resentment Tony had of his own father the more he learned about him. If you pay attention, this resentment grows and grows over the course of season 6. It's not filler and the whole point flew right over your head cause you're a pleb.

It is not overrated but two last season have noticable drop in quality.

Also Tony went from balancing on good/bad to full nlown asshole for no reasom.

This

Considering it's 10+ years old, it's still holding up spectacularly. It feels fresher than some series getting out these days.

If you want to watch a show about gangsters watch Boardwalk Empire instead.

Wow I totally missed that, what was the point of Massive Genius?

Boardwalk Empire is a period drama. Not everyone wants to watch people in canotiers and three piece suits shooting Tommies.

I admit that some storylines are cut short. The whole Chris band shit was him trying to branch out of being a regular gangster and trying to profit off his status (like henry hill). Hence alot of the screenwriting shit Chris does.

>Massive Genius

I took it as an acknowledgement that Italian organized crime was being pushed out by the rise of other criminal subcultures, who have not forgotten their subjugation. The Italians should not expect any mercy when they gave none.

>What's so good about it?

literally everything you turbo plen

>David Chase will never write anything new agian

>for no reasom

david chase got mad that people liked tony so he made him more of an asshole to change the perception of him by the public

I've never watched it but I get the feeling that it is

So did Tony inadvertently cause Dr Melfi's rape?

Honestly, don't binge it. Take a few days between each episode, it's something you need to chew on and let digest.