Who else thinks the humor behind Leela and Zapp's relationship to be gross?

I've been rewatching a lot of Futurama lately, and this is really starting to stick out at me.

A quick recap:
Leela first thought Zapp was a legend and went on a date with him. She quickly sees that he's a moron. Zapp still ends up tricking her into pity sex, which he gloats about the next day. From then on, Zapp and Leela's interactions together tends to be about "Hey, I tricked you into having sex so we're technically former lovers." It's not that tricking somebody to have sex with you under false emotional pretenses is necessarily textbook-rape, but it is gross. It is gross in an unfunny way. So it just feels weird to see how much it is used as a punchline in the tv series. I never really hear people bring this up though. Am I overreacting?

Other urls found in this thread:

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258707
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Leela was kind of stuck up for a disgusting Sewer Mutant

Fuck off, woman

>It is gross in an unfunny way
I disagree. I think it's hilarious.
Your move.

Fuck off, dipshit.

I find it very erotic

You call it gross, when really I think you'll find it's icky. Please get your terminology correct. It's icky because he tricked her, it's not gross. C'mon now.

Also sex with a false emotional pretense isn't rape.

>It is gross in an unfunny way
fuck off you fat cunt. Rape is natural.

Futurama is terrible. Reading what you post is worse.

Yet

how did he trick her?

So is shitting and pissing

yeah. congratulations.

These ironic SJW posts are just about as cancerous as the BLACKED threads, and with both you can tell it's the same autist spamming them.

>gross
stopped reading there

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258707

You're definitely overreacting.

How can you even "trick" someone into doing anything? He didn't drug her, or blackmail her. I mean fuck if I really want a girl I find attractive to suck my dick and I can somehow "trick" her into giving me head by telling her my dicks a popsicle I'm going to do that.

I'm so sick of the PC bullshit that's running rampant in our culture. Boundaries need to be pushed a lot more than they currently are. We need more pity sex, more domestic violence, more dominant/submissive relationship dynamics.

All the emphasis on "progress" has made our society pathetic. We need to regress a bit in order to gain our collective strength back.

She really was. I'm goung to sound like I'm projecting myself onto Fry althouh I've never had a simukar experience to his with Leela, but he does so many great things for her, including literally moving the stars just for a romantic gesture and she just goes off and fucks someone that's better looking, complains that the good looking guy is a prick, and the cycle repeats until they eventually get together.

Wait Zapp Branigan is 'gross?'

I wonder if that was the entire personality characteristic that was used for every single humorous piece of dialogue that he ever spoke! Holy Shit, now I see!

HAHAHA the boobies! His favorite part of a woman's body is the BOOBIES because that's the real obvious secondary sexual characteristic that your eyes gravitate to! I was overthinking this the entire time!

It's funny because at the end of the day she still chose to have sex with him by her own will. Not even unironical sjw would get offend by something this silly.

>Am I overreacting?
No, but I think your missing the forest for the trees.

Zapp is never portrayed as anything but a buffoon who's incompetence is so complete it becomes a sort of villainy. The whole point is that he's a deplorable human being and the irony of his reputation in DOOP is the source of the humor. The joke is that society rewards his idiocy and sociopathy. Similarly, he is designed to be a deconstruction of Captain Kirk, who would "fall in love" on every planet before leaving the woman he bedded before the episode is over. Zapp is an exploration of what kind of person would actully do that. A bad one.

What?

EROTIC!

>gross
Tumble off back to tumblr.

I don't understand, how did he trick her into having sex with him?

He got her to pity-fuck him by feigning desperate loneliness.
It was consensual but scummy. That's all.

how do you know he was feigning loneliness? does he strike you as a manipulative genius? his bravado afterwards doesn't neccessarily mean he was being deceptive, just that he was stoked he got laid

This. It's so irritating when people get bent out of shape when characters who are written as scumbags act like scumbags.

You're just jelly

You don't have to be a genius to feign for pity. Children do it. That said, you're right. He could actually be that lonely. I just assumed he was too self-deluded to think so. I think its funnier that he actually believes his hype.

zapp seems to be a classic narcissist. Any sadness he feels he'd blame on someone else. "Why does no one like me? I'm perfect!" and similar thoughts. A fragile ego that needs constant boosting so he feels some semblance of self-worth

EROTIC
erotic
erotic

I just had a similar conversation with a friend about Ramsey Bolton.

I have made it with a woman

She thought she was an alien back then

>How can you even "trick" someone into doing anything?

I still think Fry probably ruined a generation of males with his beta attitude.

His character really grosses me out. The way he follows Leela around after she's fucked so many guys and still begs for her approval is something else.

>How can you even "trick" someone into doing anything?

At least Fry made his intentions clear. I think what ruined a lot of guys is this idea that "she'll notice you if you dote on her" or "be her friend long enough and she'll see you as a romantic option"

Fry hit on her when he could, but at least he'd occasionally get some elsewhere. Like Amy, that girl from the 21st century or that radiator woman from the radiator planet.

And his grandma, don't forget his grandma.

Too bad she couldn't be in this scene.

this
>tfw best friend is a hot lady who wants to just "remain friends" and you're too pathetic and scared to find someone else, so you just sit back and accept it.

>tfw this was my first year of college
she lived right across the hall so it's not like I could just forget about her. even though she clearly wanted nothing to do with me romantically I hung out with her as much as I could in the hope that she would. I'm so fucking glad I got away from her

>Best friend is a woman
Please no user, women make for terrible friends.
Get yourself a good male bro.

Didn't read the text of your post or the content of this thread. Just wondering, why are you posting about a cartoon here when there is an entire board devoted to western animation? You killed an existing thread to post this when there's a whole board just for this kind of post. You're diverting attention from genuine Sup Forums posts even though a board exists for cartoons. Please explain your logic and don't use any fallacies. I want to know why you're posting this here.

bait

I think the tough part is figuring out if you flat out don't stand a chance. And sometimes even if you don't, circumstances can change quickly and that's what a lot of guys hope for. She's feeling vulnurable and has a drink or two and looks at you differently.

I have had a couple of legit 9-10/10's in my life and those are the ones i never forgot, barely remember the average girls i slept with so i get why people will spend years just being a "friend" to someone like that. Hell i've wasted my share of time on women typically out of my league. I do think that unless those girls are actually in your league it's not worth the time though, most of the time it's just a waste and not like it does much for you long term other then great jerk off memories

oh and to add a bit of advice, to anyone out there that may need it sometime soon. if you ever get the chance to fuck a girl way out of your league just do it, screw the consequences unless it's like jail time or something. i had not one but 2 chances to bang probably the hottest girl i have ever met. she was naked and willing, i decided to take it slow because she was a "good girl" and i didn't want to rush in the hopes of getting in to a more serious type of relationship. looking back i stood no chance of that, i probably caught her at a perfect time(for me at least) and she went off predictably with some better looking guy with more money shortly after. Regret it every god damn day

I had a crush on a female friend of mine. I just loved being around her. But, she didn't view me as a romantic option, so I started dating other girls and am better for it. We're still friends but I've moved on.

Unsolicited advice:Never let a girl keep you under glass or lead you on. Even if she doesn't know she's doing it. Take a break from her. Remain friends of course, but don't let her keep you from meeting other girls. Go to some parties without her. You can clearly talk to girls so get out there friend.

Just as a side note, this show would be complete dogshit without Billy West.

>parties
>with young shits
>and I'm an old fag who still lives with his parents
yeah, I'm not gonna do that. Once the lady wants to go back to "my place" I'm fucked. Metaphorically speaking. Literally I'm the opposite of fucked

>I think the tough part is figuring out if you flat out don't stand a chance.

If you know she knows you like her, she's already said "no" through inaction. Its time to look elsewhere for romance.
Oh, the time I've wasted.

Sorry, I misgauged your age. Living with your parents does represent a challenge. You looking for love or sex?

This reads like a fucking tumblr post.

And Lucy Liu-bot, Yivo, Edna the decapodian, Umbriel the mermaid

care to pour me some sham-pag-in?

if you can be 'tricked' into having sex you are actually a dumb whore

in all fairness, she never knew about the star thing.

both, hopefully. I got a job, so that's helpful. It took a bit before I found one, since I was trying for more than a year to get something related to my degree field.
>tfw they said accounting would lead to 100 g's a year
>tfw they said it would open up the door to hundreds of opportunities
>tfw they left out that you need a perfect personality to ace the interview (too socially retarded to do that) or a buddy already in the field to use cronyism to get you the job (never made friends in college because of aforementioned social retardation)
sorry about hijacking the thread for my own personal bitching/therapy session, but I need to get this shit off my chest.

fuck off reddit quote spammers

So Tumblr-tier I would bet my house a Google search would turn this up on a sjw website

How dare you. Zapp Brannigan is literally the best part of the show.
He's also generally spineless whereas Leela is constantly in a strong leadership role (and now that I think about it, the lonliness of captaincy was something that they bonded over before sleeping together).

Suggesting that Zapp was the sole instigator of sex is part of the pitiful "women have no agency" bullshit. They got drunk and fucked. It's a thing people do.

To be honest I think Futurama is seriously unfunny in about every way, so I'll agree with you on principle.

That's the joke you moron. Zap is supposed to be a pathetic tryhard lothario. Goddamn you are fucking dense, OP.

>sorry about hijacking the thread
Don't worry about it.

Move out when you can, but in the mean time I'm going out on a limb but I get the feeling that when you say "Once the lady wants to go back to "my place" I'm fucked" that more often you're saying that to yourself before she has the opportunity to. You might be over thinking. If that's what you're doing, remember that the worst thing that can happen is she says no. Thats it.
You can talk to your pretty friend. So we know you can talk to pretty girls. It sounds like your lack of confidence is whats stopping you.

Here's the secret: Fake it.

Seriously. Don't lie about yourself, but pretend to be a more self-assured version of yourself. You're not "unemployed", you're "between jobs and aren't worried because you'll find something soon". Just hit that sweet spot where you're Fry not Zapp. Fry had a dead end job and lived in a robot's closet but with the exception of saying he tamed land-sea-lions he wasn't disingenuous about who he was or what he was about. He just had a cool confidence about it.Girls respond to that. Zapp deludes himself and comes off as a narcissistic ass. Don't do that. Be like Fry. He knew he came off like a loser, but always played the hand he was dealt.

You're obviously confused and aroused.

I really hope this is a parody imitating those triggered people at reddit and tumblr.

I really, really hope.

If not, and this is indeed the average nu poster, nu male of Sup Forums then I declare the board dead. No wonder Snyder movies are so disliked here. Everyone is a fucking faggot.

Isn't that the basis for all romantic relationships; to show the other person how great you are to bed them while hiding the bad stuff?

When the curtains part in the relationship and you see the flaws in one another, its either apathy, sympathy, or desperation that keeps the couple together because lets face it, we all want to believe we're great, but our partners can pick us apart in an instant.

Leela just happened to have the curtain pulled back on Zapp before they had sex and she made the choice to over-look his baffoonery. Unfortunately, it was a mistake. Not a rape, just a lapse in judgement at the time.

If we're allowed to take back our mistakes; wash them away and point the blame at others, then we have no right to learn and grow from them, and that's a solid commentary I think on the Western societal views on responsibility and accountability.

But yeah, Futurama isn't that good in retrospect, so I'll just agree and say that its nasty that a woman will jump in bed with a man for being infatuated with his false bravado, his pathetic nature, and her whorish "I'll fuck him anyway" attitude.

leela is a whore who thinks that she is a saint

the chinese girl is a whore who loves to be whores

that's the problem with the human brain. We can't deal with each other's imperfections. But at the same time when we hide them from loved ones it tears the relationship down and poisons it. I think that's the sad irony to most relationships. They get together based on false images of each other and then get let down when the truth comes out. You could continue to pretend that you're perfect, but those people usually end up cripplingly lonely because they never reveal their flaws, they hide everything constantly.

>Unfortunately, it was a mistake. Not a rape, just a lapse in judgement at the time.
yes and she does not want to bear the responsibilities of her actions

there are two kinds of women
-the woman who loves sex and money
-the woman who loves money and sex

which one do you prefer
-the whore who loves to show she is a whore but hates to be called a whore
-the whore who tries to hide that she is a whore and hate to be called a whore

ya find no joy in anthing enjoy

What responsibilities? She never denies fucking him or even that she chose to fuck him. She just lives with that mistake, to humorous effect.

She slept with a guy and regretted it. She knows it was her choice. That's why she finds it embarrassing and not traumatizing.

In the earlier seasons there were moments where they almost date but something gets in the way.

Either way Fry does date her a few times through out the later half of the series and they do get married by the end so I don't know what you're talking about. His hard work did pay off.

A LEAF.

I've been living with my parents for the past year to save up on money and I still somehow ended up dating and getting pretty intimate with this one girl.

>His hard work did pay off.
Yes, for a beta, nothing beats a deluded roastie

It's a perfect summation of male and female sexuality and feminism within it. Women will talk all day about muh liberation and muh rights. But at the end of the day they're always going to fuck the alpha.

And unless you have a strong traditional culture and marriage system, this female hypocrisy will destroy your civilization.

I'm, for reference, not , but I think there's some confusion here.
For me, avoiding responsibility is more of a generalized issue, not necessarily in the show; but she does ask him to keep it down and avoids it as a topic of conversation with the other characters.

As for the "in general" portion, that was more in reference of how OP was reacting to the "gross" nature of the exchange and the attitude over-all of western culture that its okay to change your mind after the fact and bare no responsibility on your actions. To which I think it's nice to see a character have to live with the consequences rather than some magical mcguffin that whipes the event from canon.

Bitches; can't live with 'em, can't understand their fundamental social constructs they use in feeble attempts at controlling a system they wrongfully believe is controlled by men; am I right?

Lower, Kif. Lower. Lower. Lower. THAT'S TOO LOW!

Lower.

>>And unless you have a strong traditional culture and marriage system, this female hypocrisy will destroy your civilization.
yeah but this civilization is already a mistake and is nothing natural.
the natural state is that men love to provide for women and '''''''protect'''''''''' women because men love to think that they are useful, valued, meritorious. It is the men who build this civilization, and they built it only because they cannot be as hedonistic as women. this civilization is a coping mechanism from men to feel valued. And when men do not feel respected, valued, dutiful, serving, inside a hierarchy they get depressed and commit suicide, especially when the lack of acknowledgement comes from women.

Women do not need to build a civilization, because they get men to build a civilization for them. Women do not need to feel respected, to live through their efforts, because they have an easy life (thanks to men who love to dedicate their lives to women) from the onset.

Leela's big enough to make her own mistakes, she doesn't need Fry-self-inserting whiteknight cucks like you rescuing her from the big mean Chads

How can you even "trick" someone into doing anything?