A burger walks into a Europe

I'm flying in and out of London and have 2 weeks to do stuff in between.
1. is it best to just rent a car, or
2. is it better just to take the train everywhere?
3. where go?
4. what do?

Other urls found in this thread:

historicdockyard.co.uk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's a bit too much for 2 weeks

Dependsbwhat you want and what you like?
You cam fly within europe very cheap if you book early, check wizzair, ryanair, easyjet.

lol yeah it's 336 hours of driving

I can do it if I don't sleep or stop driving

Maybe I could ape one of these guided tours?

So you'll just hop out of the car at every city for like 1-2 hours and take a selfie or what?

lolno, I just googled "european road trip" and got that. The article says it takes about 3 months to do that one.

I'm more inclined to do I just have to research what to see and its history at each stop and build an itinerary from there.

>1. is it best to just rent a car, or
better to rent car for england/wales/scotland imo. probably more expensive once you've factored in the cost of hire but worth it to get off the beaten track.
>2. is it better just to take the train everywhere?
if you want to leave the UK, the Eurostar to Paris is very comfy.
>3. where go?
2 weeks isn't very long. UK and Paris.
>4. what do?
What do you like doing

not having a go, but I have noticed from burger friends coming here that it seems to be their thing to make some over the top itenary and """tour""". I'm guessing it's more so they can say they've been to places than anything else, since they don't seem to have time to actually immerse themselves in the cuture or enjoy the pace of the holiday.

this might be something to do with their lack of paid vacation though.

Good luck finding a hire car you can take out of the UK. If you want to explore Europe, why did you book the plane to London? lol

>1. is it best to just rent a car, or
>2. is it better just to take the train everywhere?
Get an interrail ticket.
If you have enough money for a car and fuel that's very much decent because of the freedom it provides, but be prepared to pay a lot for it as both rental and fuel is very much expensive.
>3. where go?
You need to choose what you actually want to see. I'd suggest at least visiting Poortugal, Spain, Italy, Switzerland and Norway (muh nature).
>4. what do?
Again it depends what you enjoy doing.

2 weeks is not going to be enough though so I suggest sticking to 1 or 2 countries and going to areas/sites you'd like to visit.

There is a temptation to spend the entire 2 weeks in and around London, but it seems like a waste not to check out other places as well.

>this might be something to do with their lack of paid vacation though
Insightful. Although our vacation time is paid, we only get 2 weeks a year of it. Past that, we're on our own. Other companies vary, from nothing to a lot, depending. Public sector employees usually get European levels of time off.

This looks better, you might try and cram southern france in the region around the adeche in which is quiete the experience.
Good that you didnt seriously thought about rushing this titanic track there.

I assume I'd be 'hiring' a car in Calais and using a blend of public/private transportation in the UK.

That's a tour company's itinerary for a 16 day trip. I've only got 14 days, anything I can skip here to simplify things?

Or, what would be a good tradeoff to see in Southern France and skip in Germany?

Yeah I agree that you should see other places, but it's all about striking a balance between seeing things and not making it feel like a military operation. YMMV tho. As I said, I wasn't being rude, but I've noticed this from a lot of Americans who've come to visit me.

A car would be a great way to explore Britain. You might be able to go to Ireland with a hire car, but I've needed to rent cars to go to the mainland before and it's been difficult.

The Eurostar isn't too badly priced and is comfy and fast (from Kings X) - the rail networks on the mainland are much better and cheaper than their British counterparts. You also don't need a car for London.

Potentially spend a couple of days in London getting bearings and sightseeing, then rent a vehicle and go on a roadtrip of the UK. Arrive back to London and go across to the mainland on the Eurostar: go wherever you want.

I'd recommend Belgium and the Netherlands personally.

Somebody ITT mentioned interrail, idk if that's an EU citizen only thing, but there is a foreigner counterpart to look into.

Or maybe just skip Prague and see everything else in ?

t. Future dead body for muslim gore on CNN

Its actually not a bad itinery. I've done a similar holiday in a fortnight.

I'd use a car in UK and trains on the mainland if I had to pick (trains are expensive, slow and shit here in comparison) but that would be the way to do it I think (plus LHD)

Thanks for the tips, I definitely want to spend time around London.
>striking a balance between seeing things and not making it feel like a military operation

Hear, hear. Growing up my parents were fans of the "forced march educational cram" version of sightseeing, which I detested. I like to take a bit more time.

tough question.
A car is nice to drive through and see the countryside transform while you can make quick stops at places you spontaneously found along the way which look neat but it ties you to a smaller radius in which you can be active as I do not know if its wise to leave your rented car standing somewhere in the rhineland while you take a flight to prague and back so you dont have to drive that big loop.
The east has beautiful places tho.

Yeah you don't really need to see Prague and anything in Germany besides Munich. Spend that extra time in southern France.

>I'd use a car in UK and trains on the mainland if I had to pick (trains are expensive, slow and shit here in comparison) but that would be the way to do it I think (plus LHD)
Oh really? I'll keep that in mind. Is Uber a mainstream thing over there or is it still niche?

>Spend that extra time in southern France
Anyplace specific?

We have them in London yeah.
I think they've had problems operating in some countries because of licensed minicabs, but you should find them in a lot of cities.
Public transport is p good though tfl.gov.uk

The ardeche region is utterly beautiful, just cruising trhough there and stopping at smaller villages to buy some food or go for a small hike there was great form my experience.

Oh, how about this, but instead of Paris (I've heard things) do the Munich-Rhineland-Amsterdam leg instead?

Oh yeah, I'm interested. I could definitely see swinging through there.

btw, italian cities are so incredible dense when it comes to sightseeing that you might spare yourself venice which is said to have been badly influenced by an all too heacvy burden of tourism, as florence or rome alone would suffice keep you entertained for days.

Don't go to Amsterdam.
Or Rotterdam, Utrecht and Den Haag.

Any other city is okay.

>cornwall
>scottish highlands

???

I'm taking your advice on the Ardeche region and considering swinging through Florence-Pisa-Genoa instead.
I've actually already been to Amsterdam, spent a day there going to Egypt for work. It was interesting but IDK if I have to go again.

Dumb question, do I need visas for any of this or is just bringing my burger passport/McDonalds meal club card enough

>Is Uber a mainstream thing over there
Very common in Portsmouth, visit the historical dockyard here if maritime history is something that interests you.

historicdockyard.co.uk/

The Submarine museum is my fave but I am biased because I served on them for 8 years.

Why shouldn't he go to those places?