Spain will go to war over this

>Spain will go to war over this

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Guam#Capture
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a nice island. Britain went to war over the fucking Falklands.

i wish

Why do they care about Guam?

That's a good question

Why would we care about that?
Most of the people don't even know that it used to belong to us

I'm sorry but I'm not getting your autism. Are you confused with Gibraltar?

I wish we hadn't sold our tropical islands to you

first time i hear about this
explain

No, in fact we didn't even know we were at war when you invaded.

> be Spanish officer
> be stationed in Guam
> a wild American ship appears!
> "oh great, we have visitors! And they are Americans, I love Americans! Maybe we can have some tapas together tonight!"
> Americans fire a salvo
>" oh crap, where are my manners, I had completely forgotten the welcoming salvo! Let's fire back to welcome them to Guam!"
> "but sir, we are out of gunpowder :("
> "oh bummer... Well, I'll ask the Americans for some gunpowder, just wait here ok?"
> board the American vessel
> "well hello gentlemen! Welcome to Guam or as we say, bienvenidos a Guam! It's so nice of you to fire a salutation salvo, but you know, we're kind of tight on gunpowder and I was wondering if you could lend us some, so we can salute you back? :) and then we can have some coconut milk and play guitar together and-"
> "Yeah well, you know, this is awkward... You are under arrest and stuff..."
> mfw I only wanted to make some friends

Americans showed their pirate genetics

>this is actually true
holy fucking shit I'm dying

No way that's true. Why did he get arrested for?

malvinas argentinas

guam es espanol

I doubt it. Stop being silly.

I don't think they care. Is there at least a corresponding article?

Yeah, but Falklanders all wanted to be British.

Jesus fucking Christ, it's real.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Guam#Capture

>Pedro Duarte turned to his companions and said that the ship must be saluting the fort, so he hurriedly dispatched a messenger to Agana, the capital, which was about 6 mi (9.7 km) away, requesting the governor to send artillery to Piti to return the salute. The captain of the port, the naval surgeon, and a native Chamorro named José Paloma got into a boat furnished by Francisco Portusach and went out to welcome the visitors. José Portusach went along with the party to act as interpreter. When they finally got aboard the deck of the Charleston, Glass immediately informed them that war had been declared between the U.S. and Spain.

>The Spanish officials were amazed when they heard this and the news that they were now prisoners of war, because no dispatches or mail had arrived since April 9 to enlighten them.

The USA and Spain were at war, but communications in 1898 were poor so the Spaniards on Guam didn't get the memo before Americans arrived. They actually arrived with guns blazing, which was misinterpreted as a salutation salvo. So when this guy entered the ship, he was pronounced a pow.

Aw man that sucks.... I'm sure they treated him well though... h-he got to hang out and joke around with the lads r-right?

he got paroled for the day so he could find the governor and tell him to appear on board the cruiser to discuss terms of surrender

top kek

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

so its basically like when Mussolini's Italy declared war on Britain but didn't tell their north african troops in time, and Britain arrested a bunch of Italian officers unaware of the diplomatic change near Egypt. lmfao