/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toki_Pona
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-Du37mNuyYLNHhEMFF3b0daVDg
taj.oasis.unc.edu/
learning-hindi.com/intro
avashy.com/hindibhasha/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yN3f8Hur8X4
youtube.com/watch?v=0e9UgzhDu4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

bump

Sto imparando italiano qui. Chiunque anche?

Would I be able to read complicated books and speak at ease in Japanese after 4-5 years of serious studying and surrounding myself with the language by means of the internet?

Turkish is getting harder with all the suffixes.
Also my schedule said I haven't listened to a podcast in over a week.
At least I do my Anki flashcards daily.

With any language you would able to do that if you're serious and study multiple hours a day. Even Chinese or Japanese.

>tfw language.ws is dead

Do "ι" and "ö" are the same sound

What is .ws?

Waziristan

Do you think it is possible to get to the same level of fluency and passive comprehension natives have? Excluding foreign accent, of course.

Not really.

Is it really that difficult? The reason I'm asking is because it was a cinch for me to get to the level where I could read classic novels in English in a matter of just a few years. Not to mention it didn't take much effort.

Japanese isn't English. Multiply the effort/time it took you to learn English by a factor of 5~6 to get a general idea of how long it would take.

I'm afraid you're exaggerating a tad bit. And granted it is more difficult, but I have a hard time believing your estimates.

I'd say he's right. I tried learning Japanese for a while and it's much harder than I reckon English would be for a Ukrainian. It's so far removed from Indo-European languages in terms of grammar, vocabulary, orthography, just about everything.

Not exaggerating one bit, and keep in mind your ability to memorize millions of collocations *will* turn to shit as you grow older. Tick tock.

>and keep in mind your ability to memorize millions of collocations *will* turn to shit as you grow older
For me it's actually the contrary.

k, knock yourself out

strange reply

bump

basic english or all the extras

jan pi toki pona li lon seme? mi taso li lon ni anu seme? ;-;

Why am I almost done with my tree, and yet only 47% through the course?

What language are you learning m8?

Allegedly every word you encounter in that tree are common words and you get exposed to them so that counts towards your fluency rating.Since they didn't show all the words you can encounter irl they can only say your fluency is 50 percent or so.

Not stranger than claiming you age in reverse.

"All the extras" I guess. You'll have to take my word for it, only a tiny elite minority of weebs actually make it. That's the reality.

Is anyone learning Bahasa Indonesia here?

So it stops at 50% and basically says "we can't take you any further and you need to find other resources" ?
I also have the Assimil method but have stopped using it since it's less flexible. I'll resume my learning with it once I'm done with duo.

Portuguese officially but sometimes I learn how to read or pronounce alphabets in other languages

Well, in all fairness, I'm far from being an old man. You're too literal and extreme in your reasoning.

mi lon, jan suwi mi.

Is it Indonesian?

no, it's toki pona, a minimal constructed language. it's a lot of fun if you like languages. have a look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toki_Pona

toki, jan pona mi o. tenpo suno ni la sina pilin seme?

bump

Bump for German.

Advice for making a study plan? Should I focus on topics (hobbies, family, education, etc) or should I focus on things like verbs/nouns/adjectives, or should I just work out a schedule of what to do like "chapter of x, read y amount of articles, listen to z and watch b?"

learning russian atm

fucking verbs man

German has still very conservative gramatical features compared to most western European languages in form of its case system.

So you definitely dive right into grammar as soon as you have played around with a few words and greetings. It's always good to be able to talk a bit about yourself,and present yourself(the hobby part). Look up the related words. This will help you kick off a simple conversation where you will use all the additional vocabulary to form your first robot sentences.

>German has still very conservative gramatical features compared to most western European languages in form of its case system.
My biggest problem is people using "nominative/genitive", when I read them I understand how they're used but almost immediately I forget what the fuck they mean. I'd much rather learn by mimicking a native than sitting down with a grammar book.

>Decide I want to try to learn Hindi because I'll probably end up working in India at some point
>There are fuck all resources for it
>The writing is mental

Shit.

I definitely see how deducting the correct usage will help you to retain newly learned information but trying to figure out how a whole language works just from being exposed to native material doesn't seem to be very efficient.

Don't regard the whole thing in this dichotomic fashion. Sure, everyone learns a language in a slightly different way, for motivational or other reasons.

I'm just telling you that in order to form a correct sentence in German you have to know an awful lot about inflections which gives it a steep learning curve in the beginning due to this particular aspect and that's why you shouldn't neglect it.

It takes professional learners, with the best teachers and resources the US military can provide, 88 weeks/2200 hours (25 class hours per week) to get to B2. These guys are highly motivated, learn full time and are surrounded by like minded learners (also get paid trips to the country and do homework every night).

It's generally recommended to double the time it took you to get to B2 to get to C2.

Unless you are prodigy it's very unlikely you'll be reading native books in Japanese in 5 years.

>Hindi

Here are few Hindi resources i found when i should have been learning.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-Du37mNuyYLNHhEMFF3b0daVDg

taj.oasis.unc.edu/

learning-hindi.com/intro

avashy.com/hindibhasha/index.html

Are you that former member of the polyglot community dude?

Well, I have two grammar books, that I can reference. The main point I was raising is I was wondering how I should prioritise my study.

Also, are there any German-sites you'd recommend? Preferably normie/quasi-normie sites so I avoid the made-up-words shite.

I just had a look, and apparently Duolingo are going to be adding it, so I might wait for that. I'll have a look at the stuff you've recommended though, thanks.

I'm considering learning Russian as well, is it extremelly difficult? How much use can you get out of it?

Not sure what you mean. I've been a member of a few language learning forums but mostly as a lurker.

If there are no other sites available is rosetta stone acceptable?

There used to be a British flag poster that used to be part of the inner circle of that polyglot youtuber community.

Not really into normie stuff, sorry. I just read news.

Classrooms are pretty shit though. Even a university course on a language (a full time workload) will teach students less than what a motivated autist could accomplish. There's that whole thing about duolingo being superior to colleges for a reason.

There are plenty of horror stories about people getting a degree in Mandarin and being hopeless with native speakers, or Japanese students that learn 10 - 20 words per week instead of per day.

If you're really interested, there's the /djt/ on Sup Forums which has a lot of dedicated learners.

Discipline beats motivation but obsession beats discipline.

FSI classes aren't like university classes. The entire program is designed to pump out quality foreign language speakers.

From what I've read they are generally small groups and a lo of the study time is tailored to each student e.g. if you learn best by conversation they'll find you a native speaker to spend time talking to, if you learn best by doing grammar drills you'll spend much of your time doing grammar drills. If you can't keep up with the course you get pushed back a class and if you fail that one you get kicked off the course.

So not only are they being paid, they are on a course to be as efficient as possible while surrounded by highly motivated learners.

Could i be fluent in spanish in 3 to 5 years with less than one hour every day ?

youtube.com/watch?v=yN3f8Hur8X4
Traverse les Pyrénées, mec

>says the language who have a fuckton of cases

I'm a native English speaker, and I'm native-level fluent in Spanish (currently coing for a BA in Spanish, actually, with the goal of becoming a Spanish professor), and semi-fluent in Japanese. What language should I study next? I've been thinking either French or Portuguese, which would be easy and useful for me.

languages can be complex in different ways.

As a native French speaker? Definitely, I'd say even less. It's more important to be consistent than to learn in a bulk.

mandarin
shits pretty easy if you're good at japanese

You can read books at less than B2 though. Also I'm pretty sure those figures are at least for C1 since they claim to be for "proficiency"

If I can read novels in Japanese with minimal dictionary use (less than once a page) after 3 years of not knowing what I'm doing and taking 3 month breaks to play video games then you can do it in 4-5 years.

Is it you?
youtube.com/watch?v=0e9UgzhDu4w