If you make $70,000 a year and your spouse makes $70,000 a year...

If you make $70,000 a year and your spouse makes $70,000 a year, how expensive of a house could you afford in your country?

According to our bank's mortgage calculator, they would only give us enough for a $190,000 house. Wtf? Most decent houses here are like $400,000+

Other urls found in this thread:

property24.com/for-sale/north-riding/randburg/gauteng/4455/104507895
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why are canadian houses made out of wood

also presumably within the limits of whatever you have in your bank account

No, I tried adjusting the down payment. It barely does anything to increase the mortgage because you still have to pay monthly payments and eventually your savings will run out and after that it depends on how much you're both making which is like $8,000 a month.

Sorry, $10,000 a month

In Russia for this money you can buy kind of luxury villa with big earth square and landshaft design. Also, the quality will be good too.

Nobody with such wages here would even consider taking any loans from the bank, they will just buy something like on pic in 2-3 years.

Yeaaaaah nobody here is getting a house like that for less than $200,000 lol Plus how will you buy it without a loan? Savings? Do you really have the patience for that?

calculator isn't anything to go by, you can calculate your disposable income (after bills, food, petrol etc) your repayments can be upto 51% of that amount
figure out the total cost which will depend on your interest rate, most people use 4% when calculating to be safe, 30 years to pay it off maximum
you need 20% deposit also
then there are other factors like the banks valuation of the property, if you are buying a 400k house but the bank values it at 300k you need an extra 100k to make up the difference
after figuring everything out its still just upto the bank whether or not they will give it to you, things like flood or fire risk will make them weary as well, best thing to do is talk to a mortgage broker

and when I say best thing to do, I mean the best thing to do is save 20% of whatever you want to pay first and then talk to a mortgage broker
they get commission from the bank so if you have no money for a deposit they will tell you to fuck off

It's russia and people here can to buy a good houses without a loans, of course, them are reach people. We have a lot reach people, but, of course, percent of not rich is much more bigger. Anyway, even cheap houses here are with more good quality, than yours, to be honest.

140000$ per year means they both have 600,000 roubles for a month. House on the pic costs 20,000,000 roubles. Living cost in Russia is very low. For example Big Mac here costs 2$, so other spendings will also be many times lower than in Canada so with such money you will live like a very rich person with luxury car, many apartments and houses etc.

I mean we can still buy cheap homes but nothing more than one storey or multiple bathrooms. Fucking sucks.

Here it's somewhere in the region of $350000. But for that you're likely to get something bordering on palatial.

would be able to get this place, which isn't bad

By comparison...
property24.com/for-sale/north-riding/randburg/gauteng/4455/104507895

the lot is only 500m, definitely not worth it

It depends on the value of the house you want to buy. If you earn that amount of money in Seoul, actually which is exactly the same amount of my earning, and you want to buy $1 million apartment, you can borrow 70% of the value($700,000) roughly.

meh, lot sizes in the city are pretty irrelevant

you can get big lots but mostly on the fringes of the city and not the best spots (aside from 3/4mil and up)

the best part is there's liveable, cheap homes in great areas in st john's

something like this would be my first home

WTF.
Here a 2*24k€/year will get you at least 180k€ to borrow for buying à house/condo.

The Housing prices in Canada are insane because Chinks keep buying up all the real estate. They are gonna have housing crash soon.

same thing in australia but the government is inflating the bubble, we are forced to surrender a percentage of our income to investment funds which you can only pull money out of when you retire (to stop pensions)
now the government is going to let people take all that money out to buy a house, meaning house prices increase x dollars without any real value added and now nobody has a retirement fund