English language

What does the English language sound like to non-native speakers? Does it sound similar to any other languages? What did it sound like before you learnt it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A5kETiLtfEI
youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY
youtu.be/X3oFF8P7hpE
youtube.com/watch?v=sgiDZvYZyMQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sounds like this

youtube.com/watch?v=A5kETiLtfEI

Before I learnt it, it was like full of "sh" and words ending in "-ation".
After I learn't it, I can't stop noticing the soft r's

>mfw it sounds ugly

german≧french≧italian>(english)≧spanish>>>russian>>>chinese

cool sound

Cool, thanks

That... sounds kinda cool actually

Sounds like a nordic-celtic blend. I like it

Can non-natives hear a difference between accents?

American accents in general sound goofy to me, like people are trying deliberately to speak as though they are disabled.

My foreign coworkers can't distinguish them very well but they think Americans sound very nasal

>Can non-natives hear a difference between accents?

i think that RP is the easiest accent to listen to japanese.

whats a soft r m8

Which types of American accents?

>American accents sound disabled

T-thanks mate

i want to fug a south american dixie slut

Basically every R in English is soft (or mute). Compare it to French, Spanish, Czech, Japanese, etc., which have various different types of R - nasal, rolled, etc.. The Rs in Mandarin are pretty similar but it isn't necessarily identified as an R.

I bet Australia bantered.

Somewhere in between french and german

Yes, it's much easier to understand americans than scottish or british

Cool.

So why is this a bad thing?

Most of them I suppose. I can't really think of any exceptions although some might exist.

Obviously it's just my perception. I'm sure foreigners think interesting things about our accents over here.

it doesn't sound french

I don't think he was saying it's a problem. It's just unfamiliar for native Hispanophones because they're accustomed to a different sound.

Don't know about them but my favourite of all American accents are upper class southerners

fake english changes upon who uses it and how
youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

cool language would learn

As a northerner my brain automatically subtracts 10 iq points from anyone I hear speak with a southern accent

>flag
>wanting to fuck the product of incest

Sounds about right

My penis is ready.

I saw Filth yesterday and they pronunce R like Russian and others, not like english speakers and this is sounds ugly
american english sounds good

>What does the English language sound like to non-native speakers?
Backward malay in terms of sentence body position, schwa and "the" "sh" sounds (-tion)
>Does it sound similar to any other languages?
afaik within this place, no.
>What did it sound like before you learnt it?
The soft TH sounds like the faggot version of "tsa" of the Jawi letters. Foreign since lots of schwa and the written sounds is totally different from the spoken ones. (flour = flower =/= fleur) and so on.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

We will outbreed the yankee scum and drive you into the burrows where you belong

AR AR ARSHUN FUCK

What does Sup Forums think about Maya Lin's accent? I have no idea why, but the way she speaks melts me. What the fuck even is it?

youtu.be/X3oFF8P7hpE

When I was little I always thought about English as an "-ization" version of Romanian, as, paradoxically, we have some words in common. Which is why I guess English never sounded too foreign to me. Obviously, growing up, the gap was furthering more and more between the two. What struck me as odd in English was your "th"s. Fricative sounds are a chore and no one knows how to make them save for those with plenty of time actively invested in English. So it really sounded like you blew air out of your mouths all the thime with those sounths. Weirth.

Having learnt it, it just sounds like poor-man's german interbred with some French paupers's language just to sound high-brow. So, good job at that I guess.

Like dutch but much much much much much more nasaly

>like dutch

Im insulted, monsieur grenouille

It's a really good language, intuitive and cool sounding.

Thanks hombre. I wish I could say the same for Spanish. The dialect here (mexican) is grating to the ears at the best of times and downright disgusting most of the time.

Granted the American dialect is not the most pleasant to the ears either...

english is a very nice and simple language.
for me english accent is beautiful
american is like some lazy girl who has a hangover trying to say something she doesn't understand much
australian is just like english but only with a bad part of it

(He's being sarcastic) (you)

If you remove the weird speech impediment it is familiar youtube.com/watch?v=sgiDZvYZyMQ

>australian is just like english but only with a bad part of it
>bad part of it

Quoi? Explain to me.... Jean Pierre...

Gracias (tu)

Beautiful women with a terribly disgusting language

Perso je préfère le français :-)

>UK
>Not already inbred