Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1843

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

The great minds of Sup Forums come together to construct intellectually valuable OC edition

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦て
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦しまう
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦いる(2)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

finally done with my master thesis, now I can learn japanese again

Is the construction 青いになる used?

According to Tyler it's grammatically incorrect, but I'm pretty sure I've heard it left and right, more than 青くなる.

Also is there a way to I apply ければ and たら in past form?

食べた
飲まなかった
青かった
青くなかった

Something like "if I hadn't eaten, mom would have scolded me", or "if it was blue, I would have bought it".

Kim is right (as always, pbuh).

Doesn't sound right. 青くなる or 青になる

Ooh, it's the second one I've heard. Makes sense now.
But that doesn't work with any -i adjective, right? It would be cheating!

>The past conditional (たら) is the only type of conditional where the result can be in the past.
Nevermind.

That's not what he's saying. And it's not right either, well, unless he's talking about ば and たら specifically. Both たら and と can be used like
彼の家についたら(つくと)だれもいなかった
When I arrived at his house, no one was there.

That's not what you were asking, though. You're asking about the counter-factual case, which usually uses ば, but たら is sometimes used as well and I'm sure I've seen と once or twice as well, but that might be sub-standard language. Anyway, to say "if I hadn't eaten, mom would have scolded me", you can write
食べなければ母さんに怒られた

Ah, so the second verb in the past tense already turns the conditional in past, gotcha.

I was trying to formulate something that had a condition in the past and a consequence in the present, but that's not how the world of subjunctive works!

>If I hadn't been born, the world would be better.
No need to conjugate the conditional to past, I guess.

(Yes, he was comparing only たら and ば.)

>No need to conjugate the conditional to past, I guess
Right.
>(Yes, he was comparing only たら and ば.)
It's still not exactly true, but Tae Kim is a beginner text and you can worry about that later.

Wait, is 怒られた past-potential form?

The example TK gives for "past conditional" is
>アメリカに行ったら、たくさん太りました。
That's exactly not conditional, since the consequence has indeed happened. How do we turn this into "If I had gone to America, I would have gotten fat"? 太られた?
Hope there's a chapter explaining this usage later.

It's in past-PASSIVE form. I probably shouldn't have used that since he doesn't introduce it until later, I think. It doesn't affect your question, it's just a good translation of "got mad at me".
>That's exactly not conditional
I think the issue here is that you're paying to much attention to the English translation. たら can translate both to "if" and "when" depending on what's more suitable. Using a conditional in Japanese doesn't mean that it can't have happened yet.

青になる only works that way because 青 is a standalone noun.

Listen here punk, you have a choice. Do the work, or don't. Laziness and procrastination are completely irrelevant. You CHOOSE. You choose to do the work, or you choose not to. If you choose not to, you're done, get out of here.

Or to what a conditional is in English, I should say.

My brain is also a lie, I clearly remember Hinata saying がんばらくちゃ in her victory pose on that Naruto fightan, but that's a syllable short from making sense. Google returns about 3.000 results in total for kana/kanji variations, could it be an even further simplification of the なくちゃ?

No, I'm aware it doesn't HAVE to be a conditional (just like those "meaningless" dakedos), it's just that doesn't work as a past conditional as I was expecting from the lesson, whereas your sample sentence with passive verbs seems to fill the gap. I'll just move on and learn how to do it in the future, then. Thanks for the patience.

Gotcha, danke.

Syllables will seem to disappear when people are talking fast, are you sure it's not just that?

Watched a fair amounts of battles on YouTube but couldn't find any where she says the line.

今日も勉強になりました!
今、暗記タイムですよ!

There's thirty thousand Japanese threads on the catalogue at the moment. Crazy.

Are you using these purely for reference, as a cheat sheet, or involving Anki in some manner as well?

Just as a cheat sheet, I was just going to read Tae Kim through but as more stems began to appear I felt the need to organize the possibilities.

When doing Duolingo, I would generally guess between the potential/te/negative forms until one of them worked and keep mimicking it until the end of the unit. Now that I have polished up stems and conjugations, I see the difference clearly.
There is still one shitty conjugation though I haven't reviewed yet, which involves してしまっていた or something like that.

おめでとう

どんな分野?

Yeah, I was going to comment on this as well. But of course, we're the ones who are supposedly an annoyance.

There are three separate elements you can study from that if you want.
て form
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦て
しまう
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦しまう
いる
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦いる(2)

DJT will try their best!

hello
any question you have, ask me anytime.

can a japanese and a gaijin truly be friends?

どこに住んでいるんすか?
デートしない?

もし外人は我が国と言ったら、日本人は日本それとも外国について考えるですか?