Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1843

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

The great minds of Sup Forums come together to construct intellectually valuable OC edition

Last Thread:

Did a mod just archive the thread? We were at page 6. Sorry for meh op image

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/35204/meaning/m0u/
yourei.jp/ほっこり
monjiro.net/dic/rank/29/151922/132
vocaroo.com/i/s1Xf8XHPCxn0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

晏然と千摺りする

>Did a mod just archive the thread?
It seems like it. Maybe they mistook it for the Japanese thread. Any janitor/mod care to comment? Is DJT not allowed on Sup Forums?

>Maybe they mistook it for the Japanese thread.
Most likely. They had multiple threads up and it seems like DJT went down just about the same time they had a thread deleted.

Janitor here, you get what you pay for.

待たんかい just means 待(っ)て, right?

maybe 持(っ)たのかい?

Basicially. But it is 待たないかい

I can not read

Words to mine

熱い袋
零円
小使い

I made another Japanese friend at school today

Feels good

You collection differs in mine in the sense that I collect animals by separate folders, but have a folder outside (in the same level) called "Clothes" where any kind of clothes-wearing animal goes.

I'll only subdivide it if it gets too full, like I had to do with the "Gif" subfolder that now has classes of animals inside as well.

Woah, I really fucked up this post entirely.

篤志家
挺身

Hahaha you noticed it was me, I wasn't even thinking about it when I made my post

The point of all this grinding? To reach a goal that you want. That's the problem with pure hedonism. It eventually becomes an extremely empty existence because if you're only willing to do things that are constantly enjoyable then that throws almost every skill off the table. Want to learn how to play a guitar? Never going to happen because you're going to quickly quit once you reach the point where your uncalloused fingers hurt like hell and you can barely play Mary Had a Little Lamb. There's nothing even slightly enjoyable about that period, but once you work past it then it becomes enjoyable as you become increasingly proficient. This is true for every skill I can think of. There's always a period of marching through shit before it becomes really enjoyable, no matter what you're trying to learn.

レップタイムだ!

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/35204/meaning/m0u/
> 3 強く相手を促す意を表す。

やらんか →やらないか
やらんかい→やれ

Been learning about ても form and playing with expanded sentences. Just came up with this:

>食べ過ぎても君は小さいでしょう。

It's grammatically correct but is it the most obvious way of saying what I want to say?

Also, I got to 過ぎ simply from breaking down 過ぎると (something I learned offhand on a quick course, never explained properly). Is the と in this instance shorthand for a quote/speech?

i.e. 過ぎるとおもいます

What do you prefer using for 'too much/very'? How often do you find yourself using とても or いっぱい or others?

食べすぎても問題はないでしょう
君は小さいから
と書き直してもいい
かと、それほど自信がなく思う

日本語を勉強してみても日本の友達がいません。

あ、言いたいことを勘違いしたみたいだ
気にしないで

先済みました!

How to use ほっこり?

yourei.jp/ほっこり

What's the purpose of わけ here? She doesn't have to conclude anything from reason because 風香 doesn't have to deduce anything; she's just explaining something she already knows, right?. Also, why is it なわけ? On DoJT it says that な only comes before わけ for na-adjectives, not nouns (which I'm pretty sure おばあちゃん is this sentence). Am I missing something?

Also, why is the の方 necessary and what does it add to the sentence?

monjiro.net/dic/rank/29/151922/132
そんなわけない→なわけ
風香 is explaining that both her mother and father have mothers, which is why there is another grandmother. The highlighted bubble is explaining that tomorrow the grandmother they are going to visit can't be on her mother's side of the family (because she is deceased).

But in the last bubble she says that she's going to buy flowers for her father's mother, indicating that that one is deceased

So in the second bubble when she talks about her mother's mother (who is alive), I don't think it can be that construction, right

Translating these:
採取
収集

I though:
Gather
Collect

Is it off?

I was going off memory for the part in brackets, so maybe I remember the wrong way around.
Either way, that highlighted bubble is explaining the event cannot be for her grandmother on her mother's side, which is why they are going shopping for (x event) for her grandmother on her father's side.
Which volume was this from, again?

Volume 3, Chapter 17

Interesting how んわけ can be an implied negative. Do you think this is because colloquially speaking the inverse そんなわけだ was/is hardly used?

>that highlighted bubble is explaining the event cannot be for her grandmother on her mother's side

But in that bubble she mentions that she's going to her grandmother's house (the one that's not dead).

In other words, the grandmother on the father's side is dead and she is going to buy flowers for her right now. Yotsuba mentions that she was going a grandmother's house "tomorrow," which is the grandmother she explains in the second bubble. So it can't be a construction of "cannot be," I don't think.

Cheers.
仏壇, for the お盆 festival. I had remembered it completely backwards. Same principle, only not negated. They are going to her grandmother on her mother's side for Obon and are going into town to buy alter flowers for her grandparents on her father's side. わけ is explanatory. You basically understood it already.
As for the な, that boils down to speech. Say おばあちゃんというわけ and おばあちゃんなわけよ, see which slides off the tongue easier. ん follows into な in a lot of abbreviated speech.

Thanks for the help. I think I get it now. It's pretty weird that という can somehow shorten to な though.

Have a look at a more "proper" version of the sentence:
明日行くのはお母さんのお母さんの方のおばあちゃんだよ。そんなわけで、今から買いに行くのはお父さんのお母さんのおばあちゃんのなの。
See how そんなわけで was morphed into なわけよ (pause for breath) で while talking while riding the bike?

Anyone getting connection errors trying to post? Spend the past few minutes having to refresh the page just to get the captcha to load.

はぁ…俺達が無理矢理英語を勉強させられている間アメリカ、イギリス、カナダ、オーストラリア人は時間を自由に使えるのか…はぁ…羨ましい…

(cont)
it's for a game by the way, though it's my first time translating one so I wanted to make sure it's fitting for the context.

Wait, so is it そんなわけで and she just slurred it terribly or というわけ? そんなわけで sounds like something you'd say at the beginning of sentence and I think it'd be weird if you slurred half of it at the end of one sentence and then tacked on よ on the end, only to continue that phrase in the next bubble

If it works like はず, then な = である

焚書坑儒

I'm considering lowering my 6k core cards and starting a mining deck.. too many words I'm not recognizing in what I'm reading. I think I'll upgrade to rikaisama from rikaichan as well and see if that card creation feature is worthwhile.

It is worth the hassle of setting up. The lower the barrier to reading uninterrupted, the more you're willing to read.

Can you understand this besides kokoro?

それでもきずつくココロはあるんですよ
なのにヤクくんときたら。。。
ぷっぷっ

>The great minds of Sup Forums come together to construct intellectually valuable OC edition
That or fuck around with images.

The period/full stop was a European introduction to Japanese that's sometimes omitted, right? So, there's a sentence separation here right after からな, right?

If not, I don't understand what the な after から means.

Where does everyone get these hard to read pictures, anyway?

Lines like that are written into text bubbles in a manner which breaks it into semantic chunks, similar to how often Japanese people post on online forums.

You're correct, that it a sentence separation in this instance.

>Where does everyone get these hard to read pictures, anyway?

More often than not they come from low-resolution scans of manga where the author wrote little blurbs like that by hand

This isn't right.
DoJT is generally right, but this is the same as のわけ. I can't explain this わけ that well, I probably don't know it well enough myself. Suffice to say that it's similar to のだ.

よつば's words are funny.

> ふーかあしたおばーちゃんちいくっていってたのに

foreigners can read it, aren't they?

we can read it, just slower to comprehend without kanji

Hey guys, mind helping out a tourist? I'm eager to get laid the next 2 days, but don't know where to start. Can anyone suggest a place where young (or elder) women hang out in hopes to get a tourist?
Please note: with "elder" i mean from 28-45 more or less, no grannies please..

Anyway, I'd be very happy if someone can help me out!

interesting.
that way of writing shows a way of speaking of a child intentionally.

無理よ。ズレの皆はキモオタで経験がない。

well it does make me want to strangle her at times, its working

>28-45
>not a granny

>無理矢理
And this whole time I thought it was 無理+やる...
WHY, JAPANESE PEOPLE?

It is. 無理矢理 is 宛字.

よつばと gave me so much comfort as early reading material but kept me blissfully trapped at a 4th grade level. I got to let her go...

Remember to 下学上達 and to not 玩物喪志

>I got to let her go...

Are you fucking stupid, Martin? How will a gaijin tourist be able to read that? Stirb

よつば is a child who talks in adult words with a lisp.
that sentence of only ひらがな shows it.

I see, thanks.

I'm just getting on board this train. Now this is like making friends with someone knowing in a few months we part ways.

>with a lisp
Please do not ruin the Yotuba.

Please do not ruin the expression of Japanese.

> ふーかあしたおばーちゃんちいくっていってたのに
> 風香、明日お婆ちゃん家行くって言ってたのに

These two way is difference for us.

>リブートというのは、パソコンを再起動するということです。
>Reboot means to restart your computer.

Why is there a second という in the sentence? Could it be just するのです or します?

I was on the street handing out packets of tissues because that's what gaijin do when suddenly a university-aged fashionable dude stopped and said something to me:

Him: ????
Me: わからん
Him: ano, beautiful, you are beautiful

He then took a photo of me.

A short time later I see him and two other guys outside the station sitting around, whenever a good looking girl walked past one would get up and quickly walk next to her, talking to her the whole way. When he struck out the next guy would get up and chase another girl. They were doing it for at least an hour before I left.

Shit was weird. What was happening here?

kino

Oh I should mention I'm a guy.

Beautiful, you are beautiful.

just bum about at Hub

>ということ
>that is to say
It's an expression.
「再起動するのです」and 「再起動します」sound strange as explanation of the term, リブート.

ふーかさん、それを囁くようにして下さい

vocaroo.com/i/s1Xf8XHPCxn0
1 - Regular
2 - Child-like
3 - With a lisp
4 - With another type of lisp

Did you mean Yotsuba speaks like the second one? If that's the case, I'm okay with it. The lisp ones are absolutely disgusting.

It doesn't take long to get done with it anyway, the text is so sparse and simple that even as a beginner you can easily blast a volume off in an afternoon

From Imabi:
"28. パソコンを買った。嬉しい。 〇
I bought a PC. I'm happy.

29a. パソコンを買って嬉しい。X
29b. パソコンを買って嬉しかった。〇
I bought a PC and was happy.

Perhaps a more natural way to say this in English would be "I was happy that I bought a PC". From this data, one can surmise that in order for て to show cause, the past tense must be used. However, with that being said, it causes a problem that the following are OK.

30. 試験に受かって嬉しい。〇
I am glad that I passed the exam.

31. 弟が来て嬉しい。〇
I am glad that my younger brother came.

If the speaker is not the primary causer of the action, this cause relation is fine. This just goes to show that although one constraint may be important, other factors are important too."

Is this actually true? If you google 買って嬉しい there seem to be tons of examples of natives using it the way he says you're not supposed to here.

Actual Japanese isn't monolithic. Many speakers will use language that other speakers might feel is unnatural. I guess Imabi focuses on teaching the most "correct" Japanese possible, i.e, the version most native speakers will feel is acceptable. Or maybe he's straight-up wrong here, I don't know.

>29a. パソコンを買って嬉しい。X
this sounds okay to me.

I see, thanks. I can do something like that in English too, now that I think about it:
[When I say] reboot, [I mean] restarting the system.

(I know that's not the actual translation, but it's just for showing a repetition.)

>多分行かないと思う。
>Don't think I'll go.

Can I change this into "I think I have to do" with another と?

多分行かないとと思う。
Or maybe:
多分行かないとって思う。

Looks like /djt/ is still alive and well
Can anyone recognize what this word is?

Also, can I ask what is やめとこ? Is it 辞めておく?

looks like 会ネエ用

What manga?

I can already kinda tell that it's 会ネエ用, however, google isn't bringing up anything so I'm suspecting that's not it.
Manga is 服を着るならこんなふうに

>11 pages in 6 days
Dude...

会社用

I've been bingeing on another series
Let me pitch this: Boke-type girl trying to convince notShibuyaRin to have sex with her. Yuri antics ensues

I feel stupid now...

Funfact: if someone on DJT wrote like that, we would bash his handwriting for looking too unbalanced.

Hopefully only on /jp/.

well it does look like 礻ェ in the middle there.

試合は終わり。

Is this owari a conjugated verb or a noun?

Both work

10ページにいるのが嫌だよ!

Any advice on moving up to the next grades?

Is there an image of recommended DJT progression, beyond just recommending a bunch at once?

So for instance...

Yotsubato -> Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san -> Crayon Shin-Chan -> ???? -> Oyasumi PunPun