Japanese Thread / 日本語スレッド

This thread is for the discussion of the language, culture, travel, daily life, etc. of Japan.
Let's tark at randam in Japanese and English. Take it easy!

Previous Thread: Learn Japanese Thread: 過去ログ: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/日本語スレッド/

次スレを立てる前に必ずスレ立て宣言をして下さい。次スレリンクも忘れずに。
Please declare when making a new thread and post its link.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=2a0qy3unssQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ioE_O7Lm0I4&spfreload=10
youtube.com/watch?v=uOpdyytB3OY
youtube.com/watch?v=F46gUysza60
youtube.com/watch?v=V1axFkQlF4o
youtube.com/watch?v=8a_xoh11ufY
youtube.com/watch?v=rse3QpRyni8
youtube.com/watch?v=54SARvyIOEg
youtube.com/watch?v=H44LfHdgx4o
youtube.com/watch?v=FQYLsBQ_FXg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"tark at randam"

Dear Japan,

Stop teaching your people incorrect English.

Best wishes,
a Burger.

*Blocks your path*

Dear Burger,

We're working on it.

Cheers,
a fellow Burger

仕事終わり~
では、喉を診てもらいに行ってきます

どういたしまして

They don't teach us incorrect English.
We are just creative in making mistakes.

Just a fucking reminder that japanese have 2 threads on this board. 1 for japanese and the other for weebs like you.
Just a fucking reminder.

We were here first.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ

Are you retarded or making it on purpose

KIMI GAAAAA ITA NATSUUU WA TOOOOI YUMEEEEE NO NAKAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA

おちゅでちゅ
>Best wishes,
>a Vaggie Burger
風邪ひいた?
youtube.com/watch?v=2a0qy3unssQ

トレーニング用BGMを貼っておこう
youtube.com/watch?v=ioE_O7Lm0I4&spfreload=10

Fuck you East Korean Shit!

what are the chances of le medium bic winning?

Today's catch.

The Japanese ocean keeps on giving.

They like radioactive.

Perhaps.

Delicious nonetheless.

Super hero power from radioactive fish.

youtube.com/watch?v=uOpdyytB3OY

今夜の曲

youtube.com/watch?v=F46gUysza60

ゴジラかよ
心象のはひいろはがねから
あけびのつるはくもにからまり
のばらのやぶや腐植の湿地
いちめんのいちめんの諂曲てんごく模様
youtube.com/watch?v=V1axFkQlF4o

Question for the japs:
What was your coming of age ceremony like?

草間彌生さんいいね

>implying they went

I realized how much older she is than me
Even if she liked me it could never work out.
Of course this doesn't matter because she has a gf and the F destroyed everything for me

お疲れ様
正装で神社へ

You ought to check out Mameda-machi when you go to Hita. Many nice shops with local crafts such as geta, and great cafes and coffee shops. It's a relaxing area.

are these sound natural or not?

>I don't tell this twins from each other because they resemble each other so much.

>there is no telling how old he is, nor where come from.

>it is not so much his character as his attitude that irritates me.

あいつをどうやって いかしてやろうか
2009年春 おしゃぶりの夜に
そんなことばかり 考えてた
雲黒斎とか どうでもよくて
黄金バットを 振りぬく夢
アクメだけが 真実の
春の夜の夢

That looks comfy as fuck. Thanks.

A few grammatical mistakes and a few vocabulary choices that I would change, but mostly good.
>I can't tell these twins apart, because they resemble each other so closely.
>There is no telling how old he is, nor where he comes from.
The third sentence is fine apart from the lack of an initial capital.

Thank you very very much.

They don't sound very natural. I'd write them like this:
>I can't tell these twins apart, they look too similar
>There's no telling how old he is or where he comes from
>It's not so much his character that irritates me, it's his attitude
The last one is 100% fine, I would just word it in a different way.

Some small things to keep in mind:
Contractions usually make a sentence sound more normal. "There's" sounds more natural than "there is," although if you really want to emphasize the "is" (like you're yelling "there IS no way to tell them apart!") then it sounds more natural.
Remember that can't is "can not," don't is "do not."
You CAN'T pet the animals in a zoo, and you DON'T go over the fence. Saying you "don't tell the twins apart" gives the impression that you could but actively refuse or don't want to tell them apart.

Hope that helps.

I love Kyushu so I want you to enjoy your time here as much as possible. I'm glad to see that you seem to be having a good time fishing.

I think she will get 40% at best

疲れた・・・・
とりま、飯食う・・・・

>his finger

I don't agree with your changes.

In the first sentence, as you've changed the wording, that comma should be a semicolon.

In the second sentence "nor" is correct and "or" is incorrect.

In the third sentence, as with the first sentence, you've used a comma where you should have a semicolon. You cannot separate independent clauses with a comma.

Your comments about use of contractions are reasonable, but it depends on context and desired tone.

I think it's important for learners to bear in mind that expression is often a matter of personal preference, so there is not necessarily a "right" way to express anything. What is proper will often depend upon more than just words, too.

A final note:
>can't is "can not,"
>You CAN'T pet the animals
>You can not pet the animals.
You are saying it's not necessary. In this context you would obviously mean to say it's not permitted/possible.
What I am getting at is just that "can't" can be either "cannot" (impossible) or "can not" (optional), and thus when there is a risk of ambiguity it may be preferable to avoid the contraction.

おちゅかれ
コンマやセミコロンの使い方なんて、細かいにゃ

>"or" is incorrect.
really?

You're right, there should be a semicolon there, but while it's not technically correct it still sounds more natural than the first sentence. I suppose you could just change it to
>I can't tell these twins apart because they look so similar

>In the second sentence "nor" is correct and "or" is incorrect.
That was an honest spelling mistake on my part but you're right.

>In the third sentence, as with the first sentence, you've used a comma where you should have a semicolon. You cannot separate independent clauses with a comma.
You're right once again. But (and I don't want to sound like I encourage teaching someone the wrong thing) only in academic instances will people really know or care about semicolons. In casual conversations, even with people fluent in the language, I doubt anyone would point out improper use of colons or semicolons unless you explicitly want to be corrected.

>Your comments about use of contractions are reasonable, but it depends on context and desired tone.
Of course, I suppose if you want more factual examples then:
>humans DON'T have wings like birds
>I CAN'T go to your birthday party ("I WANT to go to your birthday party but CAN'T because I'm busy")

>You are saying it's not necessary.
Only after making that post did I realize it was actually a bad example, but these 2 examples above illustrate it better.
>What I am getting at is just that "can't" can be either "cannot" (impossible) or "can not" (optional)
I have absolutely never heard anyone say that can't is a contraction of cannot rather than can not. Subtle difference, but I still have never heard of it.
>and thus when there is a risk of ambiguity it may be preferable to avoid the contraction
As already mentioned, with the exception of strict academic contexts, people will easily understand from the context what kind of can't they mean.

横だけど
Technically "nor" is correct and "or" is incorrect.
However most people probably say "or" anyway because casual English is a mess.

It just occurred to me that, in fact, we never use "can't" for "can not". It's always "cannot".

細かいかな
ネイティブのそういうミスを見ると、どんな教育受けているだろうなと思ってしまう
英語が母語じゃなければ厳しく判断する事は無いけどね

Yes. Use "nor" following a negative statement. The only time you can use "or" following a negative is when suggesting an exclusive alternative.

Commas and semicolons "sound" exactly the same, which is probably why people stuff them up so often. For this reason there's no way it would be pointed out in conversation. In any context where one is going to bother including punctuation at all, however, I think it's better to be right than wrong (as you note).

Re: "can't", see my self-response. It's actually always "cannot".

Re: context and tone, what I mean is that in formal contexts we tend to avoid contractions.

>Commas and semicolons "sound" exactly the same, which is probably why people stuff them up so often. For this reason there's no way it would be pointed out in conversation.
I wasn't talking about verbal communication. I was thinking of contexts like emails or chatting with friends and such. Of course that's not the only thing you can start relaxing with when writing (some stop capitalizing their I's, some contract you/your into u/ur, almost nobody uses punctuation marks, etc.) but my point was that in nearly every instance you shouldn't need to worry about it, not the very least while still learning the language.

>It just occurred to me that, in fact, we never use "can't" for "can not". It's always "cannot".
Maybe you do things differently in Australia (not trying to be condescending here) but I've always had the impression can't is can not in its contracted form and cannot is a more "commanding" way to say "don't do X."

>Re: context and tone, what I mean is that in formal contexts we tend to avoid contractions.
Again, I don't know how Australia handles contractions and I haven't spoken to many Australians in my life, but I've talked to a few Brits and quite a few Americans. I've still seen people use can't and don't in relatively formal contexts.

Although since you're a NATIVE English speaker and English isn't the only language I speak, just to avoid any risk of me teaching someone incorrect information, I will honorably say that you "win" and that the Japanese user should likely listen to you instead.

Whether or not to worry about it is a judgement call for the person writing to make, I think. In my view, it is better to err on the side of formality, so I prefer to offer grammatically correct advice rather than what's most likely to appear in an informal context. I appreciate your point, however.

>I can not sing.
I am able to not sing.
>I cannot sing.
I am unable to sing.
>You can not sing.
You don't have to sing.
>You cannot sing.
You are bad at singing. (This is where you get your "commanding" idea.)

We never use "can't" to express that a thing is optional (that is, for "can not"). This is not special to Australia.
For example, you couldn't say:
>You can't go to school.
to mean
>You don't have to go to school.

Contractions in general are inappropriate for formal contexts. I don't know what you mean by "relatively formal", but presumably it isn't "actually formal" - business correspondence by e-mail might be the most formal you can get before contractions looks daggy (which, this being Australia, is not to say that such dagginess is unknown).

横だけど
The avoidance of contractions in formal contexts is mainly a written language thing.

I'd wrinkle my nose if Uncle Malcolm peppered a speech with them, too.

Formal speeches are definitely an exception, yes.

I get puzzled why you guys suddenly start debating.
both of them helped me a lot.

>Whether or not to worry about it is a judgement call for the person writing to make
Of course. But I think if someone's still learning a language (especially when they're so radically far apart, like English is to Japanese) then I don't think they should worry about semicolons at all until they're approaching fluency. Until then, using either a colon or a comma (or even nothing at all) will do for the time being.
>I think. In my view, it is better to err on the side of formality
I believe the opposite. But I guess we're different people in the end so that might be why.

I want to expand on the cannot/can not thing and how I interpret those 4 sentences, but I feel like it would just be pointless because either I've been taught the wrong thing from the very start and I'm trying to argue on behalf of a flawed idea, or Australia really does just have a different meaning for cannot/can not/can't. But again; I suppose even if I were to argue, you'd still have a stronger claim on the subject since you're a native.

>I don't know what you mean by "relatively formal", but presumably it isn't "actually formal"
I should have clarified my (admittedly, limited) experience with English in formal situations is almost entirely verbal, so is correct.
I suppose seeing "can't" in something like an arrest warrant would be a bit strange, but I wouldn't bat an eye at anyone saying can't or don't in a verbal conversation even in a courtroom.

Please don't mind us, we were just arguing some of the finer points of context, formality, and grammar, all of which I arguably have a weaker grasp on since I'm not a native English speaker.
Don't worry about anything like this just yet. For now, just work on expanding your vocabulary as well as making your sentences sound more natural.

横だけど
I'm fairly certain Australia's cannot/can not/can't is the same as any other English-speaking country's.

From my perspective:
>I can not sing
>I cannot sing
These are exactly the same.

If a learner doesn't know how to use semicolons yet, then rather than having him use commas instead, I would encourage him to keep the sentences separate. This doesn't flow as nicely, but at least the grammar won't be wrong.

If you're really unsure, then don't just take my word on cannot/can not (can't is peripheral since it's just a contraction of cannot) - have a look around and check out some books or websites. I'm quite sure that I'm right and that it isn't anything unique to Australia.

Having spent a bit of time in the courts myself, I can tell you that most barristers tend to be careful with their speech, and that judges are typically not impressed with casual tone. Even witnesses are usually coached on this. In arbitration things are more relaxed, though.

I think that we are debating (if it can be called that) because we had a disagreement. I have kept going with it because I figured some of it might be interesting or useful for any Japs learning English. It is a bit of a derail, though, so as has been said, don't mind us.

Education on grammar hasn't existed for decades in this country, so it's understandable that people get things wrong. Have a look at whatever reference you want and you should see support for my example.

Failing that:
We say, "You can go to the shop," meaning that it is possible for the person to go to the shop.

Using the same basic sentence structure and some form of "can", how would you say it's possible for someone not to go to the shop?
How would you say it's not possible for him to go to the shop?

>ネイティブのそういうミスを見ると、どんな教育受けているだろうなと思ってしまう
それは、よくわかる

cannotとcan notの違いについて、前者がimpossibleで後者がoptionalというのは、こういうことでいい?
I cannot go to school
学校に行けない
I can NOT go to school
学校に行かないということができる
(という意味にもとれるから、曖昧だ)

go to djt
this thread is for insulting the F

Never mind, I see what you mean now.

wow
FUCK YOU
seriously you fucking piece of shit
this is not even funny anymore
I can sue you for this shit

take it down
this shit is dangerous for my private life
get your autism under control you fucking loser

大体その通りだが、
>という意味にもとれるから、曖昧だ
これは違う
曖昧な事は無い

can not は「行けない」という意味で使っては非文法的だ

「行かないということができる」が正しい
canは許可に関しても言うから、「行かなくてもいい」という意味でもcan notは使われる

cannotとcan notが分けられているのは、元々曖昧を避けるためだったと思う

知的訓練としてドイツちゃんの書き込みを日本語に訳してください

saved
sauce pls

Why are Nipponese women far better than any other type of woman at playing the guitar?

うわっ
死ね
マジで糞っ垂れ
もう面白くもない
訴えるぞ

消せ
プライベートは危ないだろ
精神病に行けよこの自閉症野郎

僧侶と交わる色欲の夜に

なんちゅうタイトルのアニメやねんww
どう考えてもエロアニメやないか

That chocolate wafer thing is new

Sup Forums is meant to be an anonymous site
what he's doing is doxing
i can sue him
this is bullshit
the koreaboo is a fucking character. all the things i write are fucking made up

おまんしわいってしっちゅーが?

Delete this for yourself, F kun.
You shouldn't do such a stupid thing.

>Sup Forums is meant to be an anonymous site
Perhaps you shouldn't have made yourself identifiable, then.

I've shared a good bit of personal information that perhaps I shouldn't have, but I doubt anyone (okay, except maybe パンツ屋) would be able to put it all together.

If you have set yourself up to be "doxed", that's your own fault and you deserve it.

>i can sue him
Also, I guess you'd need his personal details to do that. Do you have those?

>Write thousands of hate post about me on this thread
>Post a pic of him
>G-guys this is all made up I swear
Just fuck off from this thread already

大雨キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━( ゚∀)━( ゚)━( )━( )━(゚ )━(∀゚ )━(゚∀゚)━━━!!

エロい仏教もあるからな

雷は?

probably, the women were influenced by her parents who like HM/HR

これ合ってる?

cannot: the man was so intimidated that he couldnot shot the approaching enemy.

can not: you could not shot him if you didn't want to kill anyone.

なんだそりゃ
真言かなんか?

不思議な事にcanだけだよ
couldnotは存在しない

maybe
there's plenty of western women who have parents who like HM/HR but they're mostly rubbish guitarists.

you fucking butthurt idiot
you started this shit by messaging my gf

>HM/HR
What is this? Heavy metal/hard rock?

yeah

歓喜仏だな
インドとかチベット

ないね
残念

この系統か…

そういうことで
can'tはcannotで、can notではない
ということかな
それ、今季のPantuya recommendに挙げてたやつやね
原作がレディスコミックなんで、そらエロだけど、地上波では放送できないので、「その部分」が全く違う動画に差し替えられている
ワイも rubbish guitaristやなけどな
笑うしかない

youtube.com/watch?v=8a_xoh11ufY
youtube.com/watch?v=rse3QpRyni8

i also like shred-songs but when i have watching her playing the guitar, i feel an old guy man's face. its make me bad imo
i wish that a girl playing song like this
youtube.com/watch?v=54SARvyIOEg

soudayo

大仏顔もやはり男だったということがわかる像だ。

日本には伝わらなかったとされるが、
もしかすると各地のちんぽ神社はなんか関係があるのかもしれない。

>can'tはcannotで、can notではない
はい

シャカは出家前は妻子持ち、モハメッドは50代のときに9才の嫁がいた

>all those mistakes and unwanted string noise
what she was doing there is guitar basics such as finger pick and chord shapes

compare that to this girl who plays more complicated pieces with ease