warosu.org/jp/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=sakubi
warosu.org/jp/thread/S16841145#p16853237
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=sakubi&src=typd
www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/08particlewa/08particlewa.html
a.safe.moe/SzWfu.txt
web.mit.edu/kansai/1.Characteristics/2.LinguisticAspects/d-Conjugation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>
>Is that how you think Australians talk? Pretty sure messing with mailboxes is an American cultural thing.
why so mad, just do your reps bro

こんにちわ

Remember: If you have the choice between being the hare or the tortoise, be the tortoise. Language learning is a slow marathon that takes time, quality work, and patience.

Even if you're able to sprint through much material in a short time, is that rate sustainable? Will it lead to burnout? Even the slowest of paces is better than sprinting and burning out repeatedly, not only for your progress, but for your mental state as well.

Persistence is the greatest virtue when learning a language and the path of the tortoise lends itself to that the easiest.

ばったり
がっしり
どっさり
そそっかしい
がらりと
くっきり
がくんと
きっぱり
がばっと
ごっくり
ずばり

When will the pain end? These meaningless small-tsued words should be outlawed.

Never. You're awakening to the truth: the real final bosses of Japanese vocabulary are 擬音語, 擬態語 and food terms.

>作品名長くて覚えられないから茅野ママって呼んでる件。
What's 件 and what's it doing?

bro, bru, bra, brah, bud, cuz, mate
why so mad, just do your reps

I like when they make some sense. For instance, dekoboko seemed like a nonsense word, until I learned 凹む.
じめじめ - 湿る, etc.

This helps immensely.

I think it makes it about a certain incident/occurrence to a specific time

not too sure though

maybe,it mean "About thing" or "matter" or "about what" in english.
So in order to translate into english,I think that it is an accurate expression to replace "件" with "事について"

about thing (I) call (it) "Kayano mama" because...

so maybe "Taigen dome".In English...substantive stop? noun stop? I don't know

Just asked my teacher, she said approximately the same. Apparently it's common to do online. Thanks

させる
さす
られる
れる
される

Shit, nigga, they are all so alike, and you still have to combo them together...

How do I differentiate between Potential form and Passive form?

>How do I differentiate between Potential form and Passive form?
context

what's sakubi

heard about it from a friend

The passive can always be a potential. The potential is never a passive in modern japanese.

It's a guide made by an EOP teenager who doesn't even know English, and he was pushing that crap over /jp/ until jannies started pruning it.

But hey, good luck doing it here. Consider using a proxy so it doesn't stand out too much, though.

why reinvent the wheel

i didn't know Sup Forums was this schizophrenic

stealing sakubi from whoever started it lol

a.safe.moe/BLzX9.txt

Ah, sorry, I thought you were just going to crawl back into your hole and avoid the shitfest of being thoroughly busted.

warosu.org/jp/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=sakubi

I wonder WHO could be talking about sakumeme here on Sup Forums.

A "friend" told you about this guide, you say? Weird, because it's a guide made inside DJT which got no appraisal whatsoever. How can it have "reached your ears" through a "friend" when it's not even a popular resource?

If - and that's a really hard to push if - you are not the illiterate author yourself, the only other option is you're his direct acquaintance and should kill yourself for browsing an anonymous website openly with your friends. And for shilling his crap.

I don't know what your problem is, I "literally" just heard about it from a friend on twitter who was calling it shit

Egads, WHO could have written a post like yours?
warosu.org/jp/thread/S16841145#p16853237

Twitter has no posts about any sakubi.
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=sakubi&src=typd

Just fuck off, if you want to meme people into reading your shitty guide and become the next Imabi, learn a thing or two and try over Reddit, they love alternative "learning" methods.

>Twitter has no posts about any sakubi.
Twitter has something called direct messages.

It's not my fault you're paranoid.

>tfw ankidrone and proud

Ahoy, mate. I hate her every single day, from when I wake up to when I go to sleep.
But from time to time I remember just how much she's done for me.

I love you, Anki-chan. Thank you.

>tfw doing 10 mintues of anki per day and feel like quitting every day because of how boring it is

Nigger I'm doing an hour a day fuck off

New to studying Japanese so sorry for the dumb question but is "ga" in addition to it's other uses also used as basically a "ha" for inanimate objects?

I read this sentence in English and translated it in my mind "The dog saw the tree".

I believed the translation would have been "Inu ha ki o mita" but when I looked at the answer it was "Inu ga ki o mita". Also are animals considered inanimate?

It's not animacy.

In this case the difference between は and が depends only on context, so with that sentence in isolation it is impossible to answer.

Generally if you are answering a question about WHO looked at the tree, or if the dog is being introduced to the conversation and was irrelevant to the earlier contents of the conversation, you'd use が. But if the dog was an established part of the conversation so all the conversation participants knew what dog you mean, you'd use は

は or が has nothing to do with animate/inanimate.
犬は木を見た。Means "About the dog, he saw the tree".
犬が木を見た。Means "The dog saw the tree"
Both are valid translations of "The dog saw the tree".

It's pronounced wa when used as a particle, not ha

I have been studying Japanese for about 6 years.
The first three were during a college course, 2 hours a week. Needless to say, it was pretty much useless. The only good thing that came out of it was that I learned to read hiragana. In three fucking years.
I ankidroned on my own for a while, then chanced upon the DJT on Sup Forums and dove into Genki, Tae Kim, and all that stuff.
I have been studying on and off, ankidroning for months, then dropping everything altogether, then getting motivated again and going back to basics.
That cycle must have repeated three or four times by now, but it gets easier each time.
I can now read hentai and simple mangas just fine. I don't fear dropping Japanese again, cause I now I'll get back to it eventually, and it'll be even easier.
I'm in no rush to learn. I don't need Japanese for my job or anything, there is no pressure. I'll get to it, even if it takes a decade.
It feels good to know that aborted tries are not wasted, that I can build upon them to go further the next time around.
So now I'm taking it easy, going at my own pace, learning the language little by little, getting better every time.
It feels great.

Thanks, everyone.

>But if the dog was an established part of the conversation so all the conversation participants knew what dog you mean, you'd use は
it's the other way around

件 is pretty much the same as a meme arrow

No. Watch this video: www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/08particlewa/08particlewa.html

the video wont play for some reason

generally speaking は is used to introduce new information, so if the dog gets brought up in a conversation for the first time it's は as in "a dog"
if everyone knows there's a dog involved you can use が if "the dog" itself isn't the theme of the sentence

が is used to introduce new information, not は. You literally have it backwards.

Gay

read tae kim page 37

if tae kim disagrees with then tae kim is wrong

why do you number your threads?

Read DoJG?

I always hated the way tae kim phrases this, it caused me to hold the same misconception as you do now for like 2 years before I learned that it was wrong.

ding ding ding, we have a winner

burn tae kim's grammar guide and make something out of the ashes

okay I see the problem now, I misunderstood the premise of this post

If Tae Kim is so shit, what's better?

it's right under your nose, you just gotta look

Honestly while some points are kind of fuzzy, Tae Kim is really fucking convenient when starting out.

Here you go my fellow white a.safe.moe/SzWfu.txt

Great memes

fuck off

ITT we boast djt users we recognize
>that leaf who is about to give up
>the two huehues at intermediate level
>the Frenchie that has studied for 10,000 years and is still intermediate

Thanks fellow burger

Why don't you capitalize your sentences?

Not a question.

>intermediate
Y-you think so? Arigatô.

Try harder.

Try what harder?

What's イモ? Fuuka's asking Ena how she made a postcard. I couldn't find the meaning on Jisho.

Did you try googling or even typing おイモという意味? Because that gives you what you want to know.

That's the only part of the section he butchers, and I believe it's just poor wording/explanation on his part. For how succinct his guide is, it's fine. People that seriously hate on Tae Kim are meming.

I did some googling beforehand and saw something about potato seals/stamps. I don't think that's what it is, since her ticket (not postcard, my bad) just looks like a piece of paper.

2 japaneeze postars in Japan general

Unless she means she pressed the potato stamps onto the paper. Is that it? I guess that's it.

>学校のパソコンで作って、プリントアウトして、それにおイモのハンコを押したの
I made it on a computer at school, printed it out, then pressed potato stamps into it.

Thanks, at first for some reason the potato-stamp thing just seemed so absurd that I crossed it off the list right away. I guess that's actually a thing.

>people will actually soil the tastier, masterracier vegetable to make SHITTY STAMPS
I am triggered.

What are the stats on the number of Japanese-english bilingual people? Compared to English-otherlanguages?

I've been doing pretty much the same for the past 5 years except I never took classes on it

I just don't find reading too much fun compared to watching anime. I have hardly read any books in Finnish or English either. Most of my reading at this point is random bits of Japanese I see in these threads or in something I'm doing that happens to be in Japanese

What's the "normal" retention rate (using the true retention addon) on anki? I'm around 70-75%, is that above or below average?

Perfectly fine. A normal retention rate is between 75 and 90, usually something like 80 or 85. It's normally distributed except near the top (where it clips off so there's a second peak), so a retention of something like 60% is way worse than a retention of like 70%.

I've been using Anni for a few weeks and I usually get 80-85 on easy decks and 60-65 on hard ones.

Hm, so I'm a little on the lower side. Any tips for improving retention in anki?

I should note I mean with the core 2k/6k

I think 70 is good for core, assuming japanese isn't an exception or anything, retention usually goes up on it's own after a few months, but I'm not at that point, perhaps someone else here has kept track of their rates over time and can share

I'm glad you share my feelings of anger and confusion regarding this subject

It's been about 2 months of doing core. When abouts does it go up? I'm starting to recognize compound words, but the readings sometimes fuck me up.

If you're doing new cards mixed in with your reviews, your "agains" will throw off the rate. I don't know if any add-ons counteract that but I always do reviews first anyway.

The true retention addon ignores new cards.

DJT use to say the only thing that mattered was having a mature retention of 95%+ was all that mattered, then the true retention add-on came out and the newfags flooded in

how do I force anki to have a specific font? My phone has some weird fucked up font for jap. What's a good "standard font" to use?

Change your phone language to jap and get a miner deck for common computer terms
That's how I fixed that problem

Do you write? If not I suggest giving writing a shot.
I personally think it helps with retention.

Readings will get easier once you start knowing a couple words that use the 音読み for a character.
for example, if you know 運転, 運動, 営業 and 経営 you'll probably easily remember how to read 運営.
That takes a while.

100%

True retention is actually rigged to display 100% mature retention. I know because I made it.

Actually it's a bug.

I hope that isn't core, how the fuck are you going to finish that shit with that many reviews per day

Mature retention is much more important than daily, you should fix it. There's a reason anki displays your mature retention without an addon

The only reason I haven't bothered to fix it is because anki displays mature retention for the day, and because the retention of Extremely Mature (interval of around 3 months) cards is always extremely high for people that don't have amnesia and don't neglect anki.

What's the different between using というのは vs. just は?

What's the difference between using というの to make something into a noun vs. just の?

My appointment with Dr. Kim didn't go over this, just told me the meaning of both

post an example

>花火大会というのはやるんじゃなくてみるの
versus
>花火大会はやるんじゃなくてみるの

>主人公が犯人だったというのが一番面白かった。
versus
>主人公が犯人だったのが一番面白かった。

I can't really answer it, but というの has more of an explicit defining purpose
and in the latter case it makes it seem more personal or "special" instead of just making a statement

Could you perhaps consider it as being a bit like putting the topic "in quotes"? That kind of interpretation seems to work for at least a few situations.

The fact that the hero was the bad guy was the most interesting bit.
The hero being the bad guy was the most interesting bit.

There are many ways to say the same thing; just like synonyms, there will always be grammatical redundancy because self-expression is fluid.

I know this isn't related to Japanese, but I'm trying to pick up Kansai-ben but I can't find a good grammar resource. Right now I'm looking at web.mit.edu/kansai/1.Characteristics/2.LinguisticAspects/d-Conjugation.html and it does give some conjugations but it doesn't actually explain them. I can figure it out if I stare long enough but I'd rather not. Anyone have anything helpful?

When you're reading something, when do you know it's time to move on to something harder?

when it's easy

There is a reading list which sometimes has the order shuffled around a bit but the general approach is reading X now, will read the next in line after, so on and so forth. This is the general approach I take, which isn't gradiated into degrees of difficulty but instead interest.
If going for a sort of difficulty approach one could figure that it is time to find something more difficult after an arbitrary value of X amount of pages read in X amount of time and X amount of words looked up in X amount of pages/time.
But how do you define harder? Changing mediums to something more text heavy? I don't know, if you're reading manga and find yourself looking up say less than 25 words per volume then grab a light novel and see how that goes. Then again you could start reading a different manga series in a genre you aren't used to reading and end up being bombarded by a few hundred new words every volume for the next dozen volumes.
What about instead of trying to look for something "harder", why not look for something different? Branch outwards not upwards, that sort of thing.

Sorry I could not be of any specific help. What are you reading at the moment?

As a general rule, I stop reading something if it's too easy and not fun. If its still fun, then continue because the more you read the same word, the more you it will stick even if it's easy. But if it's too easy and it's not fun, just drop it.

I'm reading はなひら! right now. I was just wondering when people usually jump up in the ranks. I guess it's just more of a feeling, right? When you feel something's too easy, switch (if you want) unless you actually don't want to because you're enjoying it. The preceding sentence is what I guess I'm gathering here.

But initially I was thinking in terms of efficiency, like at what time should you be progressing to harder works in order to improve the fastest or something.

When you lift weights, when do you start lifting heavier weights? When the weight you're currently lifting becomes too easy, because you don't get gains anymore. The same is true for learning, since the brain is a muscle. Once what you're reading is no longer posing a challenge, up the difficulty.

That's completely right, sounds obvious when put that way. Thanks