Is it true that russians consider grren and grey the same colour, or just some kind of myth?

Is it true that russians consider grren and grey the same colour, or just some kind of myth?
Would be nice to see if any speakers could give some answers

Other urls found in this thread:

masterrussian.com/learnwords/russian-colors.htm
learningrussian.net/vocabulary/russian-words/colors_in_russian_language.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is grren?

never ever heard about that, where did you listen about that bullshit?

It's true, I still don't understand what color the word 'grey' is supposed to represent desu.

Meant to say blue and green, instead of grey and green desu

The thing is, we actually don't have different words for colors in Russian. We only have words for 'light' and 'dark'. So the answer is 'yes' to all. That's why Russian speakers struggle when it comes to differentiating colors in English, we just don't have this western concept in our culture.

>only light and dark
Im suddenly interested
pls explain

What's there to explain? It is exactly how I said: we describe the appearance of something in terms of 'lighter' or 'darker'. We don't have the concept of colors.

Thats really weird
And sounds somewhat confusing, but sure

For me the idea of colors is weird.

time to learn then

masterrussian.com/learnwords/russian-colors.htm

Yeah, for describing green color you must say dark blue, because green is darker. Yellow is brighter, etc

yeah, and the red square in moscow was actually painted with blood, cause paint doesn't mean anything to russians.

You don't need concept of colors if you live here.

that's amazing
>Yellow is brighter
yes, you need to say light blue, to describe yellow, such bullshit.

Cиний и Зeлeный is two different words. You are thinking about japanese or something.

Now I understand everything

>blue and green
These are described with one word 青い in Japanese but then again, they can always use 緑色 (literally 'colour of new foliage') when specifically talking about green.

Huh
Good to know

i heard in russian light blue and dark blue are considered different colors, i guess like pink and red in english

and i heard that the color of a green light on a traffic light, in japan they would consider that a shade of blue

i know the russians in this thread are trolling but no way is green "darker" than blue

>i heard in russian light blue and dark blue are considered different colors
That's true, light blue is 'гoлyбoй' and dark blue is 'cиний'.

But it is, unless I don't understand what you mean by 'green'.

>blue and green
This is actually relatively common in a lot of languages. Vietnamese has one word for it too.

He probably meant #66FF00 while you were talking about something like #355E3B.

No it's not

What the fuck

Oh, you meant ocean blue, not sky blue. This color shit is too confusing.

obviously bullshit

learningrussian.net/vocabulary/russian-words/colors_in_russian_language.php

>pink and red
Exactly. There is no reason to call it a different name. It's light red.
Iirc correctly, Ancient Greek (or romans ?) did the same. Principal information transmitted is the tone, and then the hue.

Yeah, this is how russian language works. I thought it was common knowledge.

nigga i meant regular ass blue

>hue

you're right but light red is actually a separate color from pink though

Which is what exactly? You have like 10 different blues in English.

i'm talking that standard ass rainbow blue nikka

Point me "standard blue" you dunce. It differs depending on the language

>i heard in russian light blue and dark blue are considered different colors, i guess like pink and red in english
Yes, so in Russian rainbow has 7 colours, after green there are sky blue, blue and violet.

From the left to the right:
Red - Krasnyiy
Orange - Oranjevyiy (obviously borrowed word)
Yellow - Jeltyiy
Green - Zelyoniy
Light blue - Goluboy (also this means a gay person)
Dark blue - Siniy
Purple - Fioletovyiy (borrowed)
Also we have word for pink (rozovyiy, "color of rose flower").
White is Belyiy
Black is Chyorniy (also calling black person in Russian neutrally would be Negr while Chyorniy is more a slur).
Also I never could remember all colors in English because you have a special word for any fucking shade like margenta or navy.

Shit, forgot pic

>navy
That's just dark blue.

Also, we have plenty of words that derive from the source, like indigo comes from the plant source that the dye comes from, and orange comes from the fruit.

I heard Russians also don't have a concept for taking the piss. Is that true?

I would assume this is because most Russians are actually born half-blind and only attain a semblance of the western concept of eye sight around the age of four. Until then, they are not considered human and usually stored in a dark hole, only to be taken out once a day for a thorough beating.

Obviously no. It would be ssat', possat', otlit' in Russian.
But for example we don't have not obscene words to describe sex. We use borrowed words from English or other languages to describe it. In Russian we have only yebat' (fuck) and trakhat' (bang).

>Dark blue - Siniy
our word for blue "sininen" might come from this. Also, can you translate "sinebrychoff"?

>sinebrychoff
Blue belly

>Sminem cool

But we have "special words" too, you just don't know about most of them. Probably because you a man and you don't need it.

this

Cant you see that these word are adopted, for example:
Opaнжeвый - oranzhevyy - orange
Фиoлeтoвый - fioletovyy - violet

This is literally true.

Russian children are raised like cats and dogs

No, we don't.

мaджeнтa этo и ecть пypпypный. Кapтинкa - гoвнo.

He coвceм тaк, нy дa пoхyй, мнe лeнь cпopить. Кapтинкa в любoм cлyчae oчeнь yпpoщённaя.