/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeutic_value_of_Esperanto
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

>implying I need a language besides English
>implying climbing mountains analogy
English is more like riding the cable car atop the mountain then going down the slops at high speeds

>>implying I need a language besides English
Just stick to your animu and vidya Fernando

Is there anywhere [free] where I can just practice translating entire sentences from English to German (obviously with the correct translations available to check my work)? Duolingo apparently had a feature like that but removed it and also gives me way too much German to English and is forcing way too much vocabulary over grammar

redpill me on this: what is the easiest way to get proficient in a language without moving to the country in question? I've heard that sites like duolingo are memes and you'll only learn the most basic of shit there, is it even worth bothering with them?

to anyone who has actually finished a duolingo course, how good are you in that language now?

Duolingo is the best SOLITARY source but that's the thing, don't use just one source. I'm and I have a few problems with it; it doesn't really explain grammar or reinforce it much and introduces important things WAY too late, that said I'd still recommend it.

Google anything you're unclear about, read Duolingo sentence discussions, find exercises on other websites etc.

This. Im looking through the spanish stuff in the other thread now. Thinking flash cards/duolingo for daily drill. Listening to something on commute to work and then going through this old text book I found that pairs with a Spanish sort of faux soap opera that has an episode per chapter in the book. There was supposed to be a torrent from a guy who had been teaching people one on one before he died. Cant remember the name,

Exposure. Watch movies, listen to music, shitpost on Sup Forums in the general of you're desired language.

Duolingo is a nice supplement, but should not be your only learning source. I haven't completed mine but it is actually nice to do.

Actually while I'm asking shit, any good resources for listening to? Sick of my music so I might as well do this while driving

Michel Thomas?

i have a question as an english learner 2bh

can your language skills deteriorate from reading lots of grammatically incorrect sentences?

if so, wouldn't it be wiser to spend less time on this board perhaps?

Sounds right. I think I have a torrent downloaded already at home I will check tonight.

>if so, wouldn't it be wiser to spend less time on this board perhaps?

This will likely help you in all aspects of life.

I mean this board is an unmoderated shithole but you should be okay, except a lack of punctuation (always capitalize "I" at the very least) your English seems fine. The thing is people won't have perfect grammar but it's rarely bad enough that you'd be teaching yourself bad habits by reading it.

Also I'm bored if you have any specific questions about English

Ĉu iu el vi Esperantaj aĉuloj jam aliĝis Amikumun?

What I find works for me is I do Pimsleur courses of the said language, do duolingo and flashcards for vocabulary(could be anki, memrise...) at the same time, then move onto a grammar book in this order, then listen to radio shows, tv series, vidya or whatever media I could find and progress like that.I've finished the duolingo course on Swedish and by no means it's a complete course but it can be a good supplementary tool and the more you practice the better you get, so if you just finish the tree but don't keep doing exercises over time you may not learn much.

How much interest would there be for a slightly illegal (using copyrighted material) experimental free italian learning website? I want to experiment with machine learning to model user response to automated teaching, but I'm not sure if people want to learn italian at all, and obviously I can't test it on myself since I already know italian

That reminds me. Does "said" have to be proceeded by an article? For example should "in said house" be "in the said house"? I was told the former was incorrect.

Former is correct, latter is incorrect.

If you were saying something like "aforementioned" then it would be required, such as "in the aforementioned house" but for "said" specifically you never use the word "the" before it.

Thanks
Could you be more specific?

Icelandic. At this point I'm like a icelandboo and scandiboo in general, but yeah, this particulat cunt is god tier and the language is my obsession. I'm planning on going to Iceland for a month or so to help farmers in exchange for a room

>can your language skills deteriorate from reading lots of grammatically incorrect sentences?
maybe? if you're using it as your sole source of input i guess.
>if so, wouldn't it be wiser to spend less time on this board perhaps?
most of the posts on Sup Forums are grammatically correct. they might be informal, but they're correct. although ye, you probably should spend less time here

bump

Assimil

Holy shit, are you me?
>tfw you convince your friends to go to Iceland with you but you're too lazy to scrape together some money for a passport and plane ticket so they end up going without you
>tfw you will never make it to Iceland

No parlo Esperanto

bump

Wew. this thread survived the night with only 4 posts since my last bump bump.

>tfw can't get rid of my accent

What's the silliest thing you've used to remember/learn something? For me it's the following
>farsi word "raftan"
>means "to go"
>remember because you GO rafting

Did something similar to remember the difference between venir and aller, since you GO down an alley, which is how it's pronounced

Hm, I would've gone with venir bein rooted in latin, veni (vidi vici), I came (I saw I conquered)

Leaning Irish lads. What a fucking weird language.

>conjugate prepositions
>No infinitive of verbs
>Instead use "verbal noun" which is a noun derived from the verb together with a conjugated preposition
>Even incredibly basic things are idiomatic to the point of incomprehensible if I hadn't had some Irish education in school

I need language partner for practicing my spoken English. Anyone?

I'm learning Russian. What are your interests?

Pretty generic - tv shows, movies, youtube, reading.

My email:
[email protected]
Also I have unlimited time, so if you wanna regularly speak with me you're welcome!

Ah, I work part time and fairly irregular hours. But I'm often free. I'll send you an email.

Also a warning, I speak with quite a strong northern Irish accent in English

Can you guys recommend me a couple of good language to learn?

>no grammatical genders or gendered pronouns
>not tonal
>no retarded writing system (Chinese, Japanese, etc)
>sounds pleasing to the ear

>No gendered pronouns

You're going to want to avoid europe entirely my hungarian friend.

>, I speak with quite a strong northern Irish accent in English

haha that may be a problem. However it's even better, quite a challenge.

Persian mostly qualifies you just have to deal with Abjad

Is there anybody out there who has learned French to the point of reading classics in? The question being how long did it take you and what was the most difficult part for you personally when just began learning?

Turkish
It's what I'm learning.
Very logical.
It has no genders, no tones and uses the latin alphabet.
Pleasing to the ear is subjective.

Why would anyone want to learn a language of rapists?

This is true. Nobody should learn Ukrainian or Russian

Or Irish distorted version of English for that matter.

I am started learn swedish with memrise and duolingo any other advices?

Irish has no relation to english aside from loanwords.
And sure, why not. We've done our fair share of raping, so have the brits.

By reading comprehensive content, as much as possible. The more you enjoy what you are reading, the more you will acquire from it.

Is Duolingo like an online version of Anki but instead of decks you make or choose from user made decks/courses?

torrent swedishpod101

I concur with Main problems are indeed the alphabet/abjad, but it's not that retarded (more logical than latin alphabet usage in english I'd argue, and it opens you up to arabic if you want later)

No grammatical gender, not tonal, pleasing is always subjective but I like it.

I learnt a little Irish a long time ago. Yeah, weird language.

It's not so much that the 'prepositions are conjugated', but the personal pronouns are declined for case.

Latin also technically uses the gerund (the 'verbal noun') as a subjective infinitive.

The spelling is even more retarded than English
> tiocfaidh
> chuki

Oh man, don't get me started on the spelling. It's functionally meaningless because it's such a dialectised language. The spelling is based around some bastard fusion of the 3, so you can never know for sure reading a word how it is pronounced.

Did you quote the wrong post?

I somehow did indeed, I meant

Should I even bother with Esperanto? im already halfway done but i feel like it's useless

>but i feel like it's useless
because it is, what were you thinking?

I read that it is good to learn Esperanto first before other languages

For what purpose? You'll learn how to learn a language anyway if you start with another one.

Finnish

>he fell for that meme

I got all the time in the world but I'm really struggling to stay motivated. What point is there to learning a language when you'll never be able to travel again? I deluded myself into thinking it would have been worth it for online stuff and entertainment but all learning resources are so focused on travel and just functioning in the real world which is incredibly depressing and kills any motivation.

I want to fucking die

It can be in the sense that you will know how to approach new stuff while learning, but you can also get good at learning by learning anything for that matter.I wouldn't say it's a waste of your time if you decide to drop it now so if you think it's getting uninteresting to you and you don't see the point by all means pick a different language.

I don't know user but I'll tell you what worked for me I guess.If you treat this like a hobby instead of an insturment you will use later on maybe you won't get this death of motivation you are experiencing.Like say you play vidya for not for the end result most of the time but to have fun doing these artificial stuff defined in this artificial world, even though nothing you do makes an impact in real world you do it anyway because you get some enjoyment out of it.I'm sure you enjoy learning bits here and there slowly about the language you are studying and maybe understanding a sentence here and there.So what I'm saying is why not treat those experiences like they are your goal instead of treating this like it's a tool you won't use ever kinda thing, if you get what I'm saying.

Don't we all.

Learning Russian, very beginner. How important is it to be able to tell softened consonants with ь? One resource I'm using is putting a lot of emphasis on being able to tell the difference between things like "c" and "cь" for example, and I can hardly hear the difference. Is it so important?

Is it at all worth it to learn French? How difficult would it be? How long would it take?

probably one of the easiest languages for an english speaker, you won't even need to memorize half the vocabs because they literally are the same except different spelling

Not important at all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeutic_value_of_Esperanto

Esperanto has a lot of vocabulary from the large European languages like French and German, so if you plan on learning a European language it can help.

Jes kaj mi estis tre surprizita, ke estas dudek Esperantistoj proksime de mi (kaj unu estas beleta virino, kek)

Yes, as important as being able to tell the difference between your ee/i, ah/uh, th/s etc

> In any case, among the more intelligent students, the best success in French was among those who began it immediately. Those who began with Esperanto achieved a better "passive knowledge" and those who began with French acquired better "active use."

So, in others words,

> it helps the less intelligent to grasp better languages later
> it hinders the more intelligent, as they could have just begun the better language immediately

Mojose! Ĉu vi jam mesaĝis iun el ili?

Apud mi estas nur unu Esperantisto (kiun mi jam konas), kaj la sekva plej proksima Esperantisto loĝas 200 km for de mi.

Jes ja mi mesaĝis kaj min aliaj mesaĝis, homoj estas tre afablaj, sed, eble vi scias kiel estas pri Esperantistoj - ambaŭ mojosaj kaj strangaj homoj.

Mi tamen estas ete timida pri renkontiĝi kun iu - ŝajnas, ke mi estas plej juna kaj mi volus renkonti iun, kiu estas samjara. Kaj mia kelo plaĉas al mi. Kaj eble mia vortaro ne sufiĉe grandas.

Palatalization is incredibly important.
Быть/бит/быт/бить are 4 distinct words.

bump

À la claire fontaine

M'en allant promener

Is it a good idea to learn Russian?

That depends. How interested in Russian are you? Do you just want to know the language, read books in it, watch films etc.?
If you plan to consume all kinds of russian media it will be a lot easier to learn it to proficiency. Do you want to communicate with other Russian speakers regularly?

If you wanna emigrate to Russia and read War and Peace in OV

Yeah I want all of that
Guess it's time to start

Could a Russian speaker help me out a bit with a word?
Бaбacяки - Babasyaki
I think it's a word for a relative, since it shares the baba root, but what kind of relative? From the context I suspect it may mean "aunt", is this correct?

Don't know russian but just going by google translate it means babes. It probably has some other cultural context than english version.

Someone has the russian learning guide made by Sup Forums?

but you are already writing in English

(Finnish meets all requirements and is similar to Hungarian)

Almost sort of wish I at least took another year of french back in high school, but not really.
Gonna try out memerise.

Lads, can you offer me some advice on learning Finnish, cheers.

>Learning Ithkuil
>Only non-memetier language

Some of you are alright, I can mentor you. Here m or discord.