Why this album made ian curtis snap?

Also what track was the last he listened too?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XWDokCVxieQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

anything other than mass production would be a let down t b q h w y

As I recall, he was also watching Werner Herzog's Stroysek on tv which is what I always assumed made him snap.

>what track was the last he listened too?

Just a crazy wild guess but I think it's the last track on the album.

And it didn't make him snap, he already snapped and decided to throw this on to kill time before the inevitable.

Himself caught in an incongruous loop, Ian Curtis, not unlike Stroszek, also gave in to these pressures. A few hours after watching the movie on the BBC, the lead singer of Joy Division hung himself in his kitchen, leaving his body for his estranged wife to find cold and limp, dangling from the ceiling of their London flat. As the weight of the world descended on Curtis, the damning footage of Stroszek may have provided the final push.

This shit always makes me think about what album and movie i'd watch before killing myself. Not that I would, but I fantasize about it often.

Ok but why this as the last album?
Well when they found him in the morning the record was still spinning so unless he left the vinyl there and then watched the movie I'm pretty sure he last listened to this album
I always thought of nightclubbing honesly. don't know why
Personally if I have to choose a final record it would be the idiot, being my favorite. As a final movie? Raging bull probably or Koyaanisqatsi, both in my top 5 and both beautiful and depressing enough

I would like to think its tiny girls

>Well the day begins
>You don't want to live
>'Cause you can't believe
>In the one you're with

>So you turn around
>Toward the tiny girls
>Who have got no tricks
>Who have got no past
>Yea that's what you think
>And you hope she'll sing
>But she sings of greed
>Like a young banshee
>And she wants for this
>And she wants for that
>What did you think.

Considering he had an affair and his marriage was falling apart i think it might be the one

>Ok but why this as the last album?
he liked it

Now this is an interesting take. Tiny girls made him "snap" and mass production was in the background during the hanging.

He liked the album.

raging bull or koyaanisquatsi? lol

youre such a fag dude

Ehy fuck you. honestly I was thinking of saying stalker or Nostalghia but I anticipated this kind of reaction. Ian curtis your self asshole

He didn't "snap" at all, no need to dramatize things. It was made pretty clear in his biography "Touching From A Distance" that he has premeditated his death for a long time and was constantly giving himself grief. Life isn't like fucking Higurashi, you don't one day snap and kill yourself, its a progressive wearing down that may eventually be triggered by circumstance (think his failing marriage with Deborah Curtis) though not so much an instant decision to die on the spot.

On another note does anyone on here wonder what music would be played at their funerals? I can always imagine that a lot of us would be misunderstood and so would have songs like Bohemian Rhapsody or whatever played rather than what we enjoy, the thought of it makes my anguish bubble.

I'd like atmosphere to be played. That or your pretty face is going to hell

absolutely atmosphere is best for that

youtube.com/watch?v=XWDokCVxieQ

the movie and the album didn't make him snap. the dude had been dealing with drug use since he was a child, chronic depression for many years, epilepsy as a touring musician, and was creating emotional music for a punk scene that could barely care about how he felt. he was on a mess of drugs for his epilepsy that experts have since stated would be bound to make him want to kill himself, he was in the middle of a falling out with his wife, and was about to go on tour for closer in the US (which the band was going to by airplane, which curtis had an intense fear of). just listen to atrocity exhibition. the dude had been worn down on for his whole life. when you're that emotionally distraught and exhausted at all times something as stupid as sleeping through your alarm and being late to work could have pushed him over the edge.

>made him snap
He was already suicidal and just wanted to listen to his favorite album and watch a movie before doing it

>>Well the day begins
>>You don't want to live
>>'Cause you can't believe
>>In the one you're with
This. It always makes me think of Ian

>Ian was very ill with epilepsy when we were recording the Closer album. He was having a lot of blackouts. There was one horrible occasion where he was missing for two hours in the studio. I went in the toilet and there he was spark out on the floor – he'd had a fit and split his head open on the sink. There were a lot of occasions like that.

>He made his first suicide attempt in April, so it was pretty close. Ian was working well with our producer, Martin Hannett, who insisted on working through the night – Ian liked the peace and quiet. But it was fraught. We didn't have much money; we weren't eating properly and couldn't afford to drink. We played three nights at the Moonlight club in West Hampstead and supported the Stranglers at the Rainbow – four gigs in three days. Ian's illness was getting worse and we didn't help him, through ignorance really. But also, Ian was his own worst enemy – he never wanted to upset you, so he'd tell you what you wanted to hear. So we never knew what he was suffering or thinking.

>He made two unsuccessful attempts. First, when he was really drunk, he self-harmed – chopped himself up with a kitchen knife, which I think was an Iggy Pop moment out of sheer frustration. Then he took an overdose. Tony Wilson, the boss of our label, Factory Records, brought him to rehearsal – straight from the hospital, I think. We'd ask: "Is everything all right, mate?" and he'd reply: "Yeah, fine, let's carry on." As an adult and a father now, I feel guiltier than I ever did then. If that had been my son, I'd have gone round there and headbutted Rob Gretton, our manager, and taken him home.

>Rob had booked a gig in Bury. Ian decided he couldn't do it, but for some insane reason he was delivered to the gig, even though we'd arranged for Simon Topping and Alan Hempsall to stand in for him. Ian insisted on doing a couple of songs, and when he couldn't do any more the audience rioted. That destroyed him.

Probably because he missed the train when the conductor called out "All aboard for Fun Time".

That's what you get for hanging out with the Dum Dum Boys!