Will we ever see anyone like Zappa again?

Will we ever see anyone like Zappa again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N10-G8JaE5s
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Zolo/
youtube.com/watch?v=VTdTvK_d9lQ
youtube.com/watch?v=I5Jsf41tyTk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert-fripp-andrew-keeling-david-singleton-the-metropole-orkest-jan-stulen/the-wine-of-silence/
youtube.com/watch?v=MLMi_ab5-30
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope so

inb4 Ariel Pink, heck no!

Ariel Pink
Grimes
hec yes!

ariel was close but hes too grumpy now. just wants to keep remaking same ol shit

james ferraro is probably close to zappa music wise. but doesn't have the personality

nah i think zappa will be the one and only.

>grimes
she doesn't work with others. how is she anything like zappa?

plus the media loves her

Regardless of any other criticisms none of them are funny enough.

>james ferraro is probably close to zappa music wise
How dare you?
>ariel was close
In what way exactly? Certainly not in proficiency.

>plus the media loves her
Well, Zappa did have chart placement, but for wrong reasons. Bobby Brown was a chart topping single in Norway and Sweden and a song to slow dance to. What's more, Valley Girl entered the charts and was adored by people who it was intended to criticize.

youtube.com/watch?v=N10-G8JaE5s
I mean, just listen to the story behind the song.

Yes, and I am that person. See for yourself at willallpreordersofturtlesallthewaydownbesigned.com

Ween has a lot in common with this guy except for the instrumentation and maybe the virtuosos thrown here and there. I guess the resemblance is in their attitude towards music in general, making fun of stuff

>Grimes
Fuck off

None of that reflects the media loving him, try again.

Unironically the closest we've gotten.

Did you have to bump?

Ween are basically what The Mothers of Invention would sound like if they started in the 90s instead of the 60s.

Secret Chiefs 3

Why should I try again? I think it's clear to anyone who's watched a single interview with him that the exact opposite was true. I was just pointing out the rare occasions.

Buckethead is the modern Zappa

How dare you, even ironically?

You were pointing out the rare occasions where he charted, but that doesn't contribute to an argument that the media loved him then, just that the public sometimes did

Morrissey is the only one that comes close in sense of humor and even then they're quite different sense of humors with different sensibilities. Musically, it's Ween who are closest to being a successor, but they're less Zappa and more The Mothers of Invention. We'd need someone really into music and satire to have a "next Zappa".

Pretty accurate.

>Morrissey is the only one that comes close in sense of humor
Morrisey? Seriously?
>Zolo is characterized by hyper, jerky rhythms, synthesized bleeps and boings, polka-dot percussion, chipper falsettos, zany imagery and a Zappa-esque sense of humor. While zolo contains elements associated with Progressive Rock or New Wave, zolo itself is a creative thread that runs independently of both of these genres.
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Zolo/

The beauty of Frank was that he was a one of a kind. To truly emulate Zappa you gotta do you all the way.

“A genius is the one most like himself.”
-Thelonious Monk

>To truly emulate Zappa you gotta do you all the way.
I don't think he would've even supported that. I wasn't aware of this brilliant quote by Thelonious Monk. I have even more respect for him now.

watch a morrissey interview then watch a zappa interview

>zolo
made up rym meme, senpai

>everything I don't know about is a made up meme

>watch a morrissey interview then watch a zappa interview
Who cares? Morrissey's music isn't satirical or funny, forget hilarious and still relevant today to the point of it being prophetic by any stretch of imagination.

>implying Frank Zappa was ever funny
he made some great music but his sense of humor was terrible

How do i get into Zappa? he looks interesting as fuck.

he was saying that morrissey and zappa have the same humor as a person you fucking ape

>I don't think he would've even supported that.
We are probably just down to arguing semantics here. A naturally intelligent, curious, disciplined person can cut his own polymath path. And if you're picking up what I'm putting down, who cares what Frank or any other person would "support?" Glad you dig the quote - pic very related.

Start from the beginning, with the Mothers of Invention

If Frank Zappa was alive today he would be a reddit that has a youtube channel complaining about feminists ruining video games

I realize that, but we aren't talking about them as anything other than musicians.

What college do you go to?

this was meant for

>A naturally intelligent, curious, disciplined person can cut his own polymath path
Exactly. That's why I said that Frank wouldn't have supported pure emulation.

Want me to tell you how I know you don't have a first clue about him or his music and how you've gotten everything you know about him from shitposts on Sup Forums?

>james ferraro
where do i start with this man
give me something that would prove that he's close to zappa

not a bad comparison desu

We're on the same side, Ace. The etymology of the word genius is interesting, no?

I have all of his major releases on vinyl from freak out - one size fits all
he was proto-reddit as a person, get over it

>The etymology of the word genius is interesting, no?
Definitely. Fripp used it the same way to describe the inspiration for King Crimson's debut album, saying that genius is a non physical entity which visits artists and then moves on and perhaps comes back.

>he was proto-reddit as a person, get over it
What are you even talking about? Where did he stand for censorship and herd mentality? Are you not aware that he wasn't exactly loved by the media and that he's fought against the PMRC. Not to mention that you're not exactly expaining the "reddit tier humor" either.
youtube.com/watch?v=VTdTvK_d9lQ

youtube.com/watch?v=I5Jsf41tyTk

I like that. Perhaps that nonphysical entity moved on a bit before 'In the Wake of Posiedon,' but that's meat for another thread.

Have you read pic related? Dry as hell, but a good source for Fripp facts. And this book was definitely a great help before the proliferation of the internet.

>Have you read pic related?
No, I haven't, but I've been planning on listening to The Wine of Silence (an orchestral version of Frippertronics as described by someone on Sup Forums earlier).
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert-fripp-andrew-keeling-david-singleton-the-metropole-orkest-jan-stulen/the-wine-of-silence/

Interesting, got that on now. Always felt his soundscapes to be orchestral, in a sense.

>get over it
t. nu-male

>Considered one of the most innovative and influential artists in his primary genre (rock)
>Extensive knowledge of music theory
>Strong technical proficiency on primary instrument (guitar)
>Complete, perfectionistic control over both albums and live performances
>Live bands drawing on many of the most talented performers of his era
>Records covered a vast variety of genres
>Satirical, often offensive lyrics mocking mainstream thought
>"Conceptual continuity" linking discography together with musical themes and lyrical motifs stretching across multiple albums
>Hated by media for offensive lyrics and criticism of popular narratives
>Numerous media appearances reaffirming themes of his music
>Incredibly prolific, averaging over 2 albums per year since his debut (including live releases)
>Respected by both rock fans and acclaimed classical composers (Pierre Boulez being the obvious example)
>Massively influenced (or potentially invented) a number of genres (Zolo, avant-prog, jazz fusion, etc.)

My answer is no
Zappa was a wonderful anomaly

>Strong technical proficiency on primary instrument (guitar)
Just wait until they take you up on this one.

>Numerous media appearances reaffirming themes of his music
And, oh boy, were those truly something. I mean, just look at this - he's prophetic, while being his usual snarky, sarcastic and brilliant self:
youtube.com/watch?v=MLMi_ab5-30

The closest in style / output / technical ability are probably Buckethead or Omar Rodriguez, but neither have had the same cultural impact and musical influence

Lacking the same sense of humor (not that Kanye has none but) but certainly someone who's established himself as a writer, producer, and frequent collaborator. He certainly has a persona; circle of similar size and strength to Zappa's.

I have a big nose and I'm growing my hair long so I'll get back to you

Please read and reconsider your comparisons.

I think The Residents, Ween, Magma, John Zorn, Devin Townsend, Tim Smith of the Cardiacs and the various Dunn/Patton/Spruance projects are the closest we've gotten to "another Zappa", but none really equal him
The Residents and Ween lack the "highbrow" technical proficiency and knowledge of music theory
Magma lacks the humor
John Zorn is way too inconsistent
Devin Townsend lacks the diversity
Smith/Cardiacs lack the prolificness
And the Bungle guys match Zappa's output, proficiency, and idiosyncrasy, but they all rely on collaboration rather than Zappa's singular vision

Scaruffi says this is true.