Why are metal and rock fans such elitist assholes?

Why are metal and rock fans such elitist assholes?

I love rock and metal, it's all I listened to growing up (along with some rap). But I just can't stand the community sometimes. There's so much elitism.

>you list to x? what a poser dude! x are too mainstream!

What is with this irrational hatred of success? It seems like anytime a rock band enjoys a modicum of commercial success they're brand as "sellouts". It's like they don't want rock music to be successful. They don't want people to listen to it.

There's so much bitchiness among metal/rock fans and artists these days. So much elitism. Why does a community that claims to be rebellious, tolerant and open minded breed such toxicity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WOLfIBsXq4s
youtube.com/watch?v=vSUW-Z_Cnc0
youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you act like you haven't just started listening to metal yesterday

Ladies and gentlemen there you have this summed up.

Rap and Jazz are like this too

Because a lot of people use metal as an underground "anti-mainstream" statement so naturally they would react negatively if an artist were to achieve some mild mainstream success.
Pretty sure any kind of music scene that considers itself alternative or underground is like this.

some metal is trve and some so-called metal is false, anyone who gets into metal must learn to distinguish

Most metal fans grew up as outsider nerdy types who got picked on, so they have to make themselves feel powerful and important by telling you that the band you like "isn't brutal enough" or some garbage like that.

Rock doesn't really have that much of an elitist base. Yeah sure you got a few people not willing to branch, but nothing crazy. Just dadrockers.

Metal's elitism comes partly from the many different directions the genre has gone in combined with how ardent it's most hardcore fans are. For a example a spot like NWN will have people that dislike any hipsterish metal, mainstream metal, and power metal/cheesy metal outside trad metal. But they also do their absolute utmost to support their favorite parts of the underground scenes. I don't think I have seen as many obscure gem type reissues in any other genre outside of metal, and a lot of stuff like this is practically fan driven.

The most "my form of music is much superior to everything else" doesn't get taken to the next level though until we come to indie stuff. Like, it's kinda embarrassing how much these people try to actively find ways to be condescending to other forms of music. It's that extra step that gets taken that other genre fans don't really do since they care mainly about their own preferred genres. The funny thing is that indie shit is also majority of the time the simplest pop music genre of them all, too, except maybe early punk rock, so it's that much more weird that these people of all people have that kind of attitude.

I think it's when a band will change their sound to appeal to a wider audience, but then again I don't get why people get attacked for liking that stuff. The only thing I think is annoying is when celebrities wear a metal shirt to appeal to metal/rock lovers and get global attention for it.

>The most "my form of music is much superior to everything else" doesn't get taken to the next level though until we come to indie stuff

t h i s

Dude I've been listening to metal for about 20 years. The definition of what is "trve" is completely arbitrary and subjective.

This is exactly why I don't consider myself a "metalhead".

If anyone identifies as such that's an immediate red flag that this guy is going to me a massive eltist cunt.

that image is making fun of anti-elitist metalheads

I know.

It was made by the kind of people that I want to avoid at all costs.

desu only really insecure people are bothered by elitism, they feel unworthy and whenever they are judged by others it really rattles them

surface or entry-level metalheads are the absolute fucking worst.

the combination of being hideously insecure about their taste, yet simultaneously thinking they're superior because they listen to metal in the first place is unbearable

and 90% of metal fans are like it

this desu

I don't consider myself a metalhead, I just listen to lots of genres which include metal.

No way. People who listen to metal exclusively are the worst autists by far.

Surface or entry-level metal listeners usually listen to other stuff besides metal and are autistic about it.

Oh and anyone who thinks they're "superior" for listening to metal is deluded.

Remember that to normies there's absolutely no difference between Slayer and Slipknot. It's all just emo noise for people who wear black and cut themselves.

fair do's

you don't listen to metal or interact with metal fans at all do you?

surface metal fans don't listen to Deafheaven and Sup Forums-approved stuff. They jerk off Lamb of God, Slipknot, and the Black Dahlia Murder if they're particularly edgy

there's a world of difference between those guys and dudes into underground black/death metal

> Remember that to normies there's absolutely no difference between Slayer and Slipknot. It's all just emo noise for people who wear black and cut themselves.

I want poptimists to G E T O U T

>They jerk off Lamb of God, Slipknot, and the Black Dahlia Murder if they're particularly edgy
Is there anything wrong with that?

I listen to Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega and Linkin Park. Just because you like extreme metal doesn't mean you can't enjoy more radio friendly stuff as well.

I never said there's anything wrong with that; it's just that the perennial "I only listen to REAL music" attitude ascribed to most metal fans comes from those surface-level listeners that think they're superior for liking Slipknot

Why would you even want to associate with the metal fan base, or any fan base for that matter, at all? The elitism present in metal is the worst I've ever seen in any genre, so why haven't you just ignored it?

You cannot appeal to any metal fans at all, trust me. It's not because you listen to a band that's too mainstream or one that's become a sellout; it's either because your interests are too similar to someone else's or not similar enough.

This happens to a lesser extent with every other genre, but metal fans have it beat.

ITT

FUCK YOU, YOU RACIST I BET YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE KENDRICK YOU BASEMENT DWELLING AUTISTIC VIRGIN /METAL/ SPERGLORD GO BACK TO >>>Sup Forums REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Metal heads love using that term whenever they see something they don't agree with.

Why do metalheads think that nu-males listen to metal of any kind?

People that listen to metal are more likely to be neckbeard fedoralords than nu-male hipsters.

got to a record store and see the kinds of people who buy these albums and you'll understand

Low quality bait.

>le nu-male metal meme

What isn't considered nu-male metal at this point?

Limp Bizkit?

Kstew wore a black flag shirt because she likes them. Edward Norton has a black flag tattoo on his back.
I understand if its like Travis Scott being poser as fuck or Chris Brown tacking on whatever band logos on a jacket
But celebs can be fans too
On the topic of T Scott. What a fag. Just admit you like the way a shirt looks instead of stuttering when you're asked what you like from the band.

Go on an internet forum with names and see the kind of person who calls posts they don't like bait.

hint: you need to dig deeper than pitchfork and noisey

Judas Priest, King Diamond, Venom, Slayer, Bolt Thrower, Beherit, Jag Panzer, Candlemass, the list goes on.

based /metal/ posters

It is though.

No I don't. I'm not trying to prove that I'm "trve kvlt" to some random Sup Forumstant.

I like what I like and I play it loud.

There's nothing preventing nu-males from listening to any of that shit. All those bands are pretty entry level stuff and any hipster will have heard them.

t. nu-male

>anyone who doesn't like what I like is a nu-male

nu-males hate those bands because of muh toxic masculinity or republicanism or some shit
I don't know why they'd like Megadeth though

only good post ITT

Not necessarily but people who make that kind of post are.

They don't like Megadeth. Where the fuck do you live where nu-males listen to metal at all?

>toxic masculinity

Robert Halford is a literal homo. What are you talking about?

it's not enough to hear them, old school metal is to be listened to more than any other kind of music

I totally fit the definition of what a nu-male is, you got me all figured out.

If you like that shit then sure. Don't pretend that you're better than a guy who listens to Slipknot though.

Rob is a homo from a period of time where gays were macho he-men who literally fucked men. His generation and LGBTBBQ freaks frequently clash because they don't conform to the kumbaya brave new world mentality and might actually consider disagreeing with the Democrats on some issues.

nu-metal sucks

>being gay is macho
What the fuck are you smoking my dude? Besides cocks I mean...

Also why the fuck are you bringing politics into this? Why does Sup Forums have to ruin everything?

Old school metal sucks.

metal is the faggiest of all fag music so i don't really take metal fags seriously

youtube.com/watch?v=WOLfIBsXq4s

t. deathcore listening poser who can't into riffs

t. nu-male

Just because you're not macho doesn't mean all faggots aren't.

t. old school metal fags

Go listen to cucktallica or megacuck

They aren't

those are the only old school metal bands you know of?

Nah there's cuckstament, sepulcuckra, cucktera, cucksodus, cucknom, cucktic frost, and many other garbage bands.

Thrash metal is garbage dude.

What are they even teaching you at these 100k a year institutions?
youtube.com/watch?v=vSUW-Z_Cnc0

> nu-males hate those bands because of muh toxic masculinity or republicanism or some shit
And in "essential nu-male" we have fucking Burzum, Leviathan, Emperor.
Dude are you retarded of something?

you sound underage

>leviathan
>masculine
dsbm is as nu-male as it gets

>100k a year
literally where
they top out at 60-70k and top schools give great need-based financial aid

I'm probably older than you. I went through a thrash metal phase in my teens. Then I realised that it was garbage.

It's really sad and pathetic to see grown men still listen to that shit.

Dude there's no need to share your softcore gay fap material here. I don't care if you're a fag but just keep it to yourself.

What are they even teaching you at these free-because-you're-poor institutions?
youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY

most of it is derivative shit but old slayer and megadeth still hold up

>mfw metalheads try to say metal is essentially just classical music with distorted guitars

no one says this except middle-school aged youtube commenters

i wrote an essay about vaporwave for a comparitive lit class

> Leviathan
> dsbm
LOL

You got that right. It's boring as fuck.

At least nu metal and metalcore bands aren't afraid to experiment a bit. Thrash metal is so predictable and formulaic.

Have you even heard Diabolus in Musica?

Yeah it was one of the first Slayer albums I got back when I was a teenager into thrash metal. Why?

Isn't that the album where Slayer "sold out" according to old school fans?

>Gorguts - Obscura
wtf?? that album goes hard as hell

Old school fans think every album without Dave on it is shit, and every one with him on it good, and every one with Kerry doing most of the work bad, therefore Christ Illusion bad even though it had Dave on it. I wouldn't take anything they say seriously.

>I wouldn't take anything they say seriously.
Does anyone?

It's b8 m8. It's designed to make you feel insecure about listening to the music you enjoy. You've been rused my friend.

Thrash metal went through shit-tons of experimentation in the 80's before it died out. It spawned lots of genres like death metal, black metal, grindcore (together with hardcore, that is) industrial metal, grove metal, etc. The reason that there's no experimentation with it nowadays is because the only bands playing the genre are nostalgic revival bands.

Yeah that's probably true.

Even looking back at Metallica's stuff though, I find myself enjoying the non-thrash tracks more these days.

I can still listen to stuff from my teens like Blink 182 and Linkin Park but for some reason thrash metal just doesn't do it for me anymore.

It just sounds so bland compared to the more creative directions that metal has taken since then.

I feel like thrash metal is the neanderthal of metal genres. It's primitive an unevolved music for beer swelling dudebros with long hair. Nowadays metal has evolved into a true art form that is much more intricate.

I realise this sounds pretentious as fuck.

To be honest I don't particularly disagree with what you're saying. I can't stand Linkin Park, Blink 182, or Metallica's non-thrash stuff, but other than that I understand where you are comming from. It seams to me that you can't experiment much with thrash and have it being thrash. Thrash began around 82'-83' and by 87' death, black, grind and industrial metal had already been fully developed. Any and all experimentation made a new genre, so it's no wonder the thrash that exists is pretty primitive and formulaic.

Hey maybe you'd fit in with the 14 year old grunge kids. "Elitists" are good in a community because they are the ones that usually get a conversation going and make most people think about something in a different way.

Yeah I just don't get why so many metal fans hate change and just want every band to make the same formulaic thrash album again and again. I honestly believe that there's more artistic creativity in nu metal than thrash metal. At least nu metal bands sound distinct from one another and experiment with different sounds.

There's a reason why Nirvana and grunge killed metal in the 90's: it was a stale genre.

I don't know, why ARE you such an elitist asshole?

Then you're a faggot.

Metal has been a stale genre for some time now, because every time something experimental or new comes along within the genre elitist pricks will shut it down.

I'm a faggot because I don't want to associate with elitist cunts? Okay then.

This.

The so called "trve" metalheads just want to hear the same fucking thrash record over and over again. Anytime a band tries to do something different or creative they sperg out. No wonder the genre is dead these days.

t. nu-male

Better to be a nu-male than a metalhead desu.

You're a faggot because you listen to faggot music and are a little bitch.

ITT elitists who claim to hate elitists argue with other elitists about whether metal fans are kvlt enough and elitists from other genres start throwing shit like some kind of elitist messiah leading those silly metal elitists to the Shangri-La of some other genre

>t. nu-male

How many times are you going to repeat this like a sperg?

>faggot music
I don't listen to thrash metal though

no u

Fuck u got me

You listen to linkin park

Linkin Park is better than thrash metal though.

At least their music is creative and somewhat interesting.

Thrash metal is just garbage dude.

any time someone says this it reveals how ignorant they are of the genre. if there weren't elitists metal would have become stagnant along time ago

It did become stagnant long ago. The late 80s to be exact. Grunge came along and put it out of its misery in the early 90s.

There are a few bands around today that are doing interesting and innovative stuff but elitists will just dismiss them as hipsters without a thought and go back to listening to their Pantera records.

The genre is pretty much dead.

The metal is stagnant though

It is stagnant and I've been listening to a variety of heavy metal genres for years, including underground shit and mainstream shit.

metalheads are mostly insecure nerds who feel the need to act superior by listening to music based on aggression to look tough