/prog/

Weeb Edition

>What have you been listening to recently?
>What's some good Japanese prog?
>Have you filtered out tripfags yet?

Enjoy yourselves.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P2OuY9tTaEI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youve done a horrible thing here

Is krautrock prog?

Don't do this.

I beg of you.

Since the thread died last time before I was answered, I'll pose the question again here.

Just heard pic related a little while ago, liked it quite a bit. What do you guys think of it? Did Vangelis ever do something comparable?

bump

Reminder that pic related is the greatest prog album of all time and there is literally nothing that you can do about it.

Yes.

I'm aware it's a contentious topic but I want to hear arguments on both sides (I believe that it is prog).

Future Days is better.

No. Both have nothing to do with each other.

Not prog, but one of the greatest albums of all time anyways.

It'll always have a special place in my heart even though I almost never listen it to the end.
Not sure about Vangelis, don't think so really.

Are their other albums even good? I literally never see them mentioned anywhere.

Is this prog? People often call it prog but I'm not sure.

I want to start writing some prog songs, anybody mind if I bounce some ideas off you guys?

not as a genre, but elements of it are heavily inspired by classic prog bands/albums, and the eclectic feel can easily hark back to some of the varied works in prog canon. But it's more of a very eclectic alt rock album.

They're first two are not really prog in the same sense as this one. More psych pop I guess. I'm sure most would agree they're not as good as 666.

*Their

>Both have nothing to do with each other
Both prog and krautrock feature lengthy compositions and divorce rock music from its blues roots.

What is the best prog post hardcore?

I've heard Ween been called all kinds of things. I have to say, my favorite is "avant-stoner"

Not prog in the slightest, even krautrock is more prog than that.

Listen to the new stuff being released at Cuneiform. They are the best prog rock label right now. Other good options are Recommended (ReR) and Tzadik (not always prog).

Gentle Giant is not prog rock then?

Thread ruined once again.

what are the prog artists active in the 1970's who did well in 1980's (at least for some time)?
Mike Oldfield for one (Five Miles Out and Crises had big singles and were generally well recieved critically and by fans).

Who are others?

Henry Cow, later renamed Art Bears, and later renamed News From Babel, and doing like half a hundred parallel projects.

Yes.
What do have to share, friend?

I dont think you realize how angry that image makes me.

is this the same OP from yesterday who made the land of the grey and pink image?

>What do you have to share, friend?
Well I do production and sound design, and I've always wanted to get into writing prog rock. I didn't at first, because I wasn't confident in my instrumental abilities, but now my slide guitar technique has finally reached a point where I feel I can write interesting music.
I'm thinking of doing something funky, with a fusion tinge perhaps. I'll probably add microtonality, the last electronic song I wrote was in 108 EDO I believe. what do you think? anything I should potentially avoid or at least be aware of? thanks in advance

>Listen to the new stuff being released at Cuneiform.
This stuff is along the lines of what I want to do, I tend to lean in a more psychedelic direction than a lot of what I'm hearing though

I really wish I could help, mate, but I have absolutely no technical knowledge in this field. Maybe some other user can help you in this thread? Either way, I hope it works out for you.

Yeah, same one.

So, what's the difference between prog and krautrock, then?

Everything except that they both were born out of psychedelic rock. That's it.

one's from Germany, the other is from real countries

completely forgettable but kind of nice psych pop

>I really wish I could help
Thanks for the consideration anyways! I figured that it might be worth a shot to see what serious fans of the genre would have to say

krautrock = german prog rock
prog = art = psychedelic = experimental = kraut
literally all the same shit with a few additional nonimportant features that elitist will point to when they want to differentiate their poseur brand from another
case and point

The dear hunter is p good

>krautrock = german prog rock
>prog rock
No.
Also, not all krautrock is german.

>prog = art = psychedelic = experimental = kraut
holy shit no

Is Coheed and Cambria progressive rock?

it's definitely autistic enough

The Dear Hunter is one of the only bands where I recommend the entire discography.

Unfortunately

Migrant was pretty bad imo

>Unfortunately
Why?

And why they are progressive rock anyway?

reply to

I really dislike Coheed and Cambria, they have all the pretension of older prog with none of the talent or innovation. I also can't stand the singer's voice.

>the pretension of older prog
what do you mean?

lol you can't say "no" without defending why

otherwise i can literally just say "no" to you and accomplish the same thing

are you actually good at math or what you're clearly not good at music

>lol you can't say "no" without defending why
Yes I can, because the burden of proof is on the people claiming that krautrock is german prog.

>the rest of your post
God, what a retard...

burden of proof is on everyone.

if you don't live by this why do you bother acting like you have opinions that matter?

>Japanese prog
>ctrl+f "yuka"
>ctrl+f "chronoship"
>no results

Step the fuck up
youtube.com/watch?v=P2OuY9tTaEI

Burden of proof is on proving the positive in this case (krautrock is german prog rock). Since there is no proof for this, it's a claim that can be dismissed without evidence. That's why my "no" is completely valid.

All claims, whether positive ("krautrock is prog rock") or negative ("krautrock is not prog rock") still require a burden of proof.

Strictly speaking? Yeah.
I already presented my argument however (krautrock is not prog rock because both have nothing to do with each other). So my "no" was still acceptable because it was in response to an unjustified claim.

Not bad, user, I'm enjoying this.

First album is a bit more modern and openly keyboard-driven, second and third evoke more of a "retro" vibe. Not to the point of feeling stale, though.

All of them are pretty damn good and it's a shame the group isn't more well-known.

I'll be sure to check them out then.

Just listened to Olias of Sunhillow. Pretty great solo album by Jon Anderson, don't see it get discussed much.